1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,162 Posts

It's the sixth thread focused on scratch made models and textures mostly generally specifically designed for game use! Previous thread hit the limit.

We pride ourselves on C&C, so post what you have, be it incomplete or complete. You're among friends.

If you want to post work in progress on hacks (those models/skins/etc) pulled from previously released content, we have a thread for that.

Here's some content to get thing started: boxes from my collection of boxes!

Let's see what you got.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 10Artistic x 3Dumb x 3Useful x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    mvr
    August 2008
    809 Posts
    Nice Boxes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,371 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 25Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    929 Posts
    DON'T JUDGE ME

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Artistic Artistic x 12Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2008
    726 Posts
    She's touching herself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Headhack Honcho
    July 2009
    4,128 Posts
    DON'T JUDGE ME

Female Snork
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,992 Posts
    DON'T JUDGE ME

Proportions are whacked on this. Arms are tiny (poor, horny lady looks like she'd have trouble masturbating) and that makes the torso look longer. Also, belly button's way too low - guideline's halfway between crotch and nipple.

On the good side, the back looks pretty good. I'd push the top shape of the scapula more, raise her hips and butt up, ease up on those waist wrinkles (ribcage?) and I think it'd shape up pretty nicely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1Funny x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    929 Posts
    She's pregnant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,992 Posts
    She's pregnant.
    Last I checked, being pregnant didn't make your arms shorter, but I suppose that does make more sense on some of the other bits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    WIP - Learning how to texture better, I spent a few hours today figuring out how to make convincing scratches. Tommorrow I'll learn how to add dirt/dust.

Anything I should add? I don't have any specific texture ideas yet, just scratches and dirt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,760 Posts
    Scratches need to be in places where the metal will contact and rub against other things, so it'll mostly be on edges. You're overdoing it; looks more like someone took to the finish with some kind of super-solvent.
    She's pregnant.
    how is snorky formed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    WE'VE GOT DODGSON HERE!
    August 2005
    1,967 Posts
    -snip-

Wrong thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,992 Posts
    Reaching the final stretch on my latest model and I'm comfortable enough to put it out a little. It's Rand from Breath of Fire 2:

Concept :

Leggings and belt probably need redone again. I'm not entirely happy with them or the belt. Armlet's a piece of shit I'll be remaking next to make it actually work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,709 Posts
    the head is so disproportional it's funny

it's a cool model regardless
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2010
    301 Posts
    Reaching the final stretch on my latest model and I'm comfortable enough to put it out a little. It's Rand from Breath of Fire 2:

Concept :

Leggings and belt probably need redone again. I'm not entirely happy with them or the belt. Armlet's a piece of shit I'll be remaking next to make it actually work.
    Huh, kinda remind me of that garfield comic where a man with a small head was buried in the sand only to be giant when coming out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,315 Posts
    That's one fucking tiny head.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2010
    458 Posts
    WIP - Learning how to texture better, I spent a few hours today figuring out how to make convincing scratches. Tommorrow I'll learn how to add dirt/dust.

Anything I should add? I don't have any specific texture ideas yet, just scratches and dirt.
    http://www.impactguns.com/data/defau..._66000-7WS.jpg ? xD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    June 2007
    1,485 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 14Winner Winner x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    326 Posts
    Take out the rough patter from the normalmap, it makes it look like rubber.
    If it's supposed to be rubber, then turn down the specular and glossiness (a lot).

You might want to take this scope as a material reference and try to mimic
    the look of it. http://www.pixagogo.com/3881264524
    Put some noise in your specular, etc.

Adding dirt isn't such a big deal, take a look at the scope I linked above and you will see that the corners of the switches are all dirty. The main reason for this is the oil to keep the switches intact.

You placed the scratches too randomly, try to find some references of used scopes or from other games.

You should also put some fingerprints on it, they add a lot of realism and underline the used look of the scope. (There's a lot of brushes on deviantart )

This tutorial from racer445 covers the named topics pretty good: http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/in...ageid=racer445
    You definitely should take a look at it!

Hope that puts you in the right direction, I'm eager to see your results :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Thanks! This is the first thing I've textured properly, so I'm all eyes and ears for ways I can improve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,991 Posts
    I recently downloaded the 3ds Max trial, since i want to learn modelling, and i was wondering if anyone had any good tips?
    Bloo have already helped on some points, but i feel stuck with the controls :P
    Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Can't really give any tips about the controls, that's something you're just going to have to learn through using the program frequently, I really like how Max works though so it's worth it.

Tips regarding actual modelling? If you're starting from the very beginning watch Youtube videos on how to make very simple stuff, eventually you'll find that things start snowballing and your work quality will skyrocket.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    hi guys, i dont know if this is the thread to ask this but... dont you know good tutorials about xsi softimage weapon modeling?

it doesnt matter i found some :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events

25. Post #25
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    Hey guys, ignore my previous post what do you think about my first model (wip)

its a revolver mod 38
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,974 Posts
    you're missing a curve at the top
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    i have finished my first weapon in xsi! (also box modeling)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    wich one the straight thing at the 2 picture?
    Learn the subdivision technique, once you get your head around the use of edge loops your models will become tenfold better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    Learn the subdivision technique, once you get your head around the use of edge loops your models will become tenfold better.
    ok thx alot! i will

-Edit

I recently improved it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    929 Posts
    Please, please be trolling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,760 Posts
    When he said to learn subdiv, he meant to learn how to model properly and then use subdiv, not to turbosmooth a model that was already covered in errors and fucked faces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

32. Post #32
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    Pac 187 gave me a good tutorial on subdivision modeling, but it's for 3DS Max. Could probably still watch it and get the basic idea of what he means, since it's really just teaching technique.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    I recently improved it
    Assuming you're not trolling, a part of the subdiv technique is the use of edge loops to control the shape of the model, it's like sculpting. If I were you I'd scrap that model, read up a shitton on it then have another bash at it when you understand it a little better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #34
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    Assuming you're not trolling, a part of the subdiv technique is the use of edge loops to control the shape of the model, it's like sculpting. If I were you I'd scrap that model, read up a shitton on it then have another bash at it when you understand it a little better.
    Ok, but i didnt found any tutorial about that, so i didit alone looking in the menu, can you give me a good tutorial for Softimage Xsi?

35. Post #35
    December 2009
    2,632 Posts
    First model and texture!
    Unfortunately I cant fix the seems or anything else because 3DSmax crashed and I lost all my work

EDIT:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    Pac 187 gave me a good tutorial on subdivision modeling, but it's for 3DS Max. Could probably still watch it and get the basic idea of what he means, since it's really just teaching technique.
    thx alot!

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Ok, but i didnt found any tutorial about that, so i didit alone looking in the menu, can you give me a good tutorial for Softimage Xsi?
    The only advise I have about Softimage is don't use it, get yourself Maya/Max.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    December 2009
    2,632 Posts
    The only advise I have about Softimage is don't use it, get youreself Maya/Max.
    I use XSI...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

39. Post #39
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    XSI caused your 3DS Max to crash, it's true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    The only advise I have about Softimage is don't use it, get youreself Maya/Max.
    Yeah i used 3ds Max for a while and xsi for me is alot easier...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)