1. Post #521
    March 2012
    324 Posts
    Well! The Helicopter prodject is completed. Check it out and download: http://www.gamebanana.com/hl2/skins/116601

Now lookie what I am working on. I plan on making a Gorka pack. I'll keep updating my progess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #522
    March 2012
    324 Posts
    Quick update before I go to bed.

Edited:

Well... I was expecting my posts to merge, but I guess they didn't...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #523
    September 2009
    33 Posts
    Partizan eh? I've trying to simulate that one for some time with some moderate success.

By the way, how do you make a dirt & dust effect in photoshop? I've tried but it always ends up looking very weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events

4. Post #524
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Been trying for 5 hours to get the SCAR to bake, I either get an 'exception occurred during render' or run out of memory.

Giving up for now, I'll come back to it at a later time to see if I can figure something out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #525
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    You could try baking it in pieces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #526
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,975 Posts

2 hours total, 512 maps, have to learn how to texture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #527
    March 2012
    324 Posts
    Partizan eh? I've trying to simulate that one for some time with some moderate success.

By the way, how do you make a dirt & dust effect in photoshop? I've tried but it always ends up looking very weird.
    I don't know if I can explain this correctly, but I add a new layer that is blank, then set it to overlay. After that I use some custom brushes, along with various colors of brown and tan, and I start to just randomly click and dirty it up. After I have a layer of dirt, I take the erase tool and use the same custom brushes to erase parts of the dirty to give a layered effect. While I am doing this I vary the tons of dirt colors I use and I also vary the opacity.

I don't know if I explained that well enough. When I first started to practice making dirt it was just random trial and error until I was satisfied. Haha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #528
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    You could try baking it in pieces.
    I move all the objects of my model apart yeah, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

9. Post #529
    July 2007
    209 Posts

Still working on other things but the base animations are pretty much done... textures are still getting worked on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #530
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    I move all the objects of my model apart yeah, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant.
    Bake each object as a separate texture so there's less load on 3ds max or whatever you're baking with, then combine all of the textures in photoshop as one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #531
    March 2012
    324 Posts
    Update!

This skins are coming along nicely I believe. Just finished clean and dirty versions of Gorka D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #532
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,785 Posts
    I've got motivated to make models once again, did this today

I will probably bake normal maps tomorrow

And yes Menter, I will make your thing too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #533
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,975 Posts
    those edges look incredibly sharp for a highpoly though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #534
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,670 Posts

Still working on other things but the base animations are pretty much done... textures are still getting worked on.
    Looks very Battlefield 3-y.

I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #535
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Bake each object as a separate texture so there's less load on 3ds max or whatever you're baking with, then combine all of the textures in photoshop as one.
    Never tried that approach before and it worked perfectly, cheers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #536
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Gotta do it all again now for the attachments. Sparkwire's arms.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #537
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,975 Posts

250 tris, 512 diffuse, 256 normals

1500 tris, 512 diffuse, 512 normals
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #538
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    I have a quick request, can someone make a copy of the flashbang model for CSS and do whatever needs to be done to have it use the frag grenade's skin? I don't have the tools or knowledge for it and it seems like it'd be pretty easy for any of you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #539
    September 2011
    865 Posts

The Blazer Project is going well. I updated the front fascia, front seats, dashboard, and the running gear. It has a better grille, better bumper, and more ergonomically correct seats.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #540
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,318 Posts

The Blazer Project is going well. I updated the front fascia, front seats, dashboard, and the running gear. It has a better grille, better bumper, and more ergonomically correct seats.

The smoothing looks REALLY bad on that. Are smoothing groups applied to that yet?

21. Post #541
    September 2011
    865 Posts
    The smoothing looks REALLY bad on that. Are smoothing groups applied to that yet?
    Nada. been juggling it between programs, and I'm still learning that. I'm just barely getting a grip on modeling as-is. Help would be appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

22. Post #542
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,975 Posts
    the fleshiest bed u ever saw

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

23. Post #543
    November 2010
    1,416 Posts
    Quick noob modeler question: i doesnt stop looking renders with that logo. That "Marmoset Toolbag" is a plugin for Max, or is another program?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Spain Show Events

24. Post #544
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,975 Posts

25. Post #545
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Quick noob modeler question: i doesnt stop looking renders with that logo. That "Marmoset Toolbag" is a plugin for Max, or is another program?
    It's a standalone mini-engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #546
    November 2010
    1,416 Posts
    30-days trial. Awww.

Like always, the perfection costs money. Thanks anyway. It looks very useful.

27. Post #547
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    3,034 Posts
    Wait, toolbag costs money now? I still have the free version somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

28. Post #548
    March 2010
    2,470 Posts
    Would be nice to have the free one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

29. Post #549
    November 2010
    1,416 Posts
    Would be nice to have the free one.
    Same. Also, another question.

Step by step im improving my models and animations (animations are just 100% robotic), but there is a skill that im unable to improve: texturing (or 2D art, whatever you call).

Im using Paint.Net, and the tutorials about it are very scarce. Looks like that Gimp have more, but i dont like it (apart of the strange way of use, you really NEED to download plugins in order to make it useable), and Photoshop, well, i cant buy it.

I would glad recieve tips and tricks, as well as if there are more free image editors that allows you make a quality texture.

30. Post #550
    January 2010
    3,102 Posts
    Same. Also, another question.

Step by step im improving my models and animations (animations are just 100% robotic), but there is a skill that im unable to improve: texturing (or 2D art, whatever you call).

Im using Paint.Net, and the tutorials about it are very scarce. Looks like that Gimp have more, but i dont like it (apart of the strange way of use, you really NEED to download plugins in order to make it useable), and Photoshop, well, i cant buy it.

I would glad recieve tips and tricks, as well as if there are more free image editors that allows you make a quality texture.
    Yarr harr. It's a pirates life for me!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

31. Post #551
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    30-days trial. Awww.

Like always, the perfection costs money. Thanks anyway. It looks very useful.
    I think theres a famous bay somewhere which could help you out, not sure where it is though sorry.

32. Post #552
    November 2010
    1,416 Posts
    No thanks. I dont support piracy. If i have 3DS max 2010, is because i have the luck of getting a key when Autodesk did that free version for students.

33. Post #553
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    I don't 'support' piracy either, but when these tools cost thousands (excluding Marmo) and 90% of us use and learn these tools so we can actually get a job and earn money when we're older, how are we supposed to afford the stuff which we need to learn in order to earn money? Unless you save up for pretty much all your teen years or have some pretty cool parents, you wont. Free student deal for 3DS is good no doubt, but what about all the other software out there? You won't get hired just having knowledge of 3DS.

It's not the best way of doing things obviously, but I still feel like I have a fair point here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #554
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    In my opinion, if you're not using it for commercial use, just personal use, it's justifiable to pirate the programs.

Justifiable, but not legal, I don't support it, it's immoral, etc. etc. linux distros etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #555
    March 2010
    2,470 Posts
    I think theres a famous bay somewhere which could help you out, not sure where it is though sorry.
    You mean the pirate cove? It's one blody dangerous side of the sea, hur hur hur!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

36. Post #556
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,670 Posts
    Working on a PPK.

The front part can suck my dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #557
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    That's pretty. Give it a silencer so James Bond can use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #558
    May 2010
    1,404 Posts
    yay for decent models, normal maps and shaders for making my texturing job not look shite.

I've already closed max, so no better pics are available.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

39. Post #559
    January 2010
    3,102 Posts
    In my opinion, if you're not using it for commercial use, just personal use, it's justifiable to pirate the programs.

Justifiable, but not legal, I don't support it, it's immoral, etc. etc. linux distros etc.
    Plus if you live in a country where your currence isn't dollars or euros (sad for me) it's a lot more harder. So yeah. It's not "evil" if you pirate some programs for your own personal use. Though if it's for commmercial use you could get f*cked. It's like the developers aren't going to even say of the consequences if you buy their products "Here is a trial and here is a full version for 1 mother flippin' million dollars... or euros just please don't cry when your OS can't install it properly.".

Edited:

Working on a PPK.

The front part can suck my dick.
    I believe it pretty much literally could.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

40. Post #560
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,670 Posts
    I believe it pretty much literally could.
    No but I made it so that it could now.

Edited:

yay for decent models, normal maps and shaders for making my texturing job not look shite.

I've already closed max, so no better pics are available.
    You could improve the texture greatly by adding AO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 21Winner Winner x 1 (list)