1. Post #681
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,348 Posts
    well i think you overdid the dirtiness.
    I don't understand why people say this, it's completely up to the person how dirty it will be, yes I know guns are usually well looked after, soldier wouldn't let his weapon get like that blah blah etc. But to be honest, a completely clean gun in a game is boring and bland to look at, you're supposed to try and tell a story when you texture not just slap on base colours and wala.

For example - http://i.imgur.com/KwC9S.jpg

He's even put blood on that and it still looks fucking amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #682
    March 2011
    4,104 Posts
    holy fuck why is maya so confusing to use. I'm trying to do a cup and do right click > face like I see on other videos but it isn't there.

to make it worse, the only youtube video I can find of modelling a cup is by some indian guy using maya 2008.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #683
    holy fuck why is maya so confusing to use. I'm trying to do a cup and do right click > face like I see on other videos but it isn't there.

to make it worse, the only youtube video I can find of modelling a cup is by some indian guy using maya 2008.
    use the hotkeys:
    F8 for object select
    F9 for vertex
    F10 for edge
    F11 for face

pretty simple to remember

4. Post #684
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,026 Posts
    Was bored:

~8k

UV seam runs down the back, so I don't know how I'm going to go about painting the black shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #685
    March 2010
    2,429 Posts
    No, I'm seeing it again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

6. Post #686
    March 2011
    4,104 Posts
    use the hotkeys:
    F8 for object select
    F9 for vertex
    F10 for edge
    F11 for face

pretty simple to remember
    Thanks.

7. Post #687
    October 2010
    457 Posts

Epic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #688
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,996 Posts
    I don't understand why people say this, it's completely up to the person how dirty it will be, yes I know guns are usually well looked after, soldier wouldn't let his weapon get like that blah blah etc. But to be honest, a completely clean gun in a game is boring and bland to look at, you're supposed to try and tell a story when you texture not just slap on base colours and wala.

That's really awesome, but the name on the gun makes me lol.

"NOBODY WILL EVER FIGURE OUT GHOST'S TRUE IDENTITY unless they look at the label on his gun"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

9. Post #689
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,766 Posts
    Was bored:

~8k

UV seam runs down the back, so I don't know how I'm going to go about painting the black shit.
    what the FUCK did I just see
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #690
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,691 Posts
    what the FUCK did I just see
    A really smooth looking SCP-173
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #691
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    took azgag's/whoever rated agree's advice, baked much better

also neodement version

please also accept these images of it in amnesia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny x 3Friendly x 2Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #692
    May 2010
    1,310 Posts

I pretty much finished it and got it ingame. looks pretty nice, IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,348 Posts
    The numbers look messy, but apart from that it looks pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #694
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,343 Posts

I pretty much finished it and got it ingame. looks pretty nice, IMO.
    Looks nice, good job. Maybe less phong on the wood though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #695
    May 2010
    1,310 Posts
    Looks nice, good job. Maybe less phong on the wood though.
    yeah, I have to make an exponent map. atm I'm just using my spec one.

EDIT: today I learned that phong exponent textures aren't what I thought they were so I fixed the wood phong thing.
    also tacticool camo:

kinda greasy looking though, but now I know what exponent textures are I can fix that!

EDIT2: wow steams screenshots are shitty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

16. Post #696
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,026 Posts
    Actually enjoying painting this shit.

->
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #697
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,024 Posts
    ive been working on something which is pretty much my first proper model and skin editing

i have this thing, a custom snake model some dude made that doesn't look anything like snake
    so i spent ages on it and even changed his facial geometry (first time even getting a model to work in source etc) and i have decided i'm calling it done

copy them into separate tabs to really see the difference
    look alright?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

18. Post #698
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,973 Posts
    How come the quality of the bodytexture downgraded?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #699
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,510 Posts
    You got it in the wrong order I believe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

20. Post #700
    September 2005
    63,024 Posts
    that was intentional, it was too sharp and it just looks weird as shit on snake, considering that sneaking suit was never high res. i downsized it to make it look a lot more like mgs2's original textures. regardless of the detail loss, it looks better overall i think.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482927/snakemgs2.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #701
    March 2010
    2,429 Posts
    Wait, so you downgraded the textures, because they look too good in SOURCE which is ten times better than MGS2 engine?

I think it doesn't look better. You can say it's stylized, but for me this is low res and doesn't look any better.

Still, I like the face texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #702
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,845 Posts
    Face is a massive improvement, body is a massive downgrade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #703
    $$$Good News Everyone!$$$
    January 2007
    4,603 Posts
    First image looks way better then the second.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #704
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    186 Posts

Low poly only 750 polygons :) and I checked the uvmap it should be super easy to uv then texturing will be the fun part :P.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

25. Post #705
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,833 Posts

Thing is though it looks like it's either been covered in several-months-old blood or it's been rusting - Neither of which look at all nice , and in the case of the latter , is physically impossible - on the pistol grip and stock, anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #706
    September 2005
    63,024 Posts
    Wait, so you downgraded the textures, because they look too good in SOURCE which is ten times better than MGS2 engine?

I think it doesn't look better. You can say it's stylized, but for me this is low res and doesn't look any better.

Still, I like the face texture.
    Alright, I can see why it's a really odd choice but here me out;
    It's for a ridiculous deathmatch mod for source - not a serious thing that would require things to look as good as they can.
    And, the idea was to get it looking like it could have been ported right from MGS2, without actually being so. The crisp lines on his sneaking suit really didn't look right since that sneaking suit has never been high resolution. To give it more of a 'straight from mgs' vibe, I downgraded them and made them slightly blurry, which also removes the compression artifacts present on the original skin and gives everything a smooth like like all the older mgs games have.

I mean I can make it high res again,

But considering how MGS2 looked and it's meant to reflect the MGS2 model, I really don't think it suits Snake. But each to his own
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

27. Post #707
    September 2011
    859 Posts

Random exercise in modeling while I was at school. A pickup of the future or so to speak. I went for a retro-futuristic look, with the main body's lines inspired by the 60's muscle cars and their modern derivatives, while the flared wheelwells (incorporated to lower the center of gravity by widening the wheelbase) were inspired by the 40's and 50's. I'm wondering if I should continue this or scrap it. C&C welcome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #708
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,571 Posts
    I'm getting fed up with trying to connect the leg and arm to the torso does anyone have a proper tutorial on how to do this, Because a picture just doesn't tell me shit

29. Post #709
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,043 Posts

Random exercise in modeling while I was at school. A pickup of the future or so to speak. I went for a retro-futuristic look, with the main body's lines inspired by the 60's muscle cars and their modern derivatives, while the flared wheelwells (incorporated to lower the center of gravity by widening the wheelbase) were inspired by the 40's and 50's. I'm wondering if I should continue this or scrap it. C&C welcome.

It lacks the fins to be 40's-50's, and looks more inspired by a 60's batmobile and an el-camino. I think it could be helped by smoother edges and more sweeping curves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

30. Post #710
    September 2011
    859 Posts
    It lacks the fins to be 40's-50's, and looks more inspired by a 60's batmobile and an el-camino. I think it could be helped by smoother edges and more sweeping curves.
    Thanks for the tips, although I think I need to clarify: The wheelwells are flared like the ones on trucks from the 40's and 50's(google search"chevy suburban 1945" for reference) Nothing else. You were definitely right though: the El-camino and the Batmobile were inspirations. I'll see what I can do for more sweeping curves. I think I want to keep the squared shape for the general body though, but with the edges rounded off. I'm still trying to figure out smoothgroups in blender.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

31. Post #711
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    I've gone done a thing. I didn't notice the fucked uvs on the chamfered part until after and now I am too lazy to fix

high poly weighs in at 1.7 mil

inspired by this although mine is not as nice as that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

32. Post #712
    I've gone done a thing. I didn't notice the fucked uvs on the chamfered part until after and now I am too lazy to fix

looking pretty nice, but i think the brick/stone texture is way too dark, a brown-ish-gray should look better

33. Post #713
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    It is grey. That's Marmoset's night lighting.

re-uv'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #714
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,706 Posts
    looks cool, but wet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #715
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    You're wet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #716
    September 2011
    859 Posts

Okay so, I added mirrors, turn signals, and an interior. I'm gong for a subtle, clean curved look like the cars from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Flynn's lightcycle from Tron Legacy. The mirrors are mounted on the fenders to give a cleaner profile to the front doors, and the turn signals are integrated into the fender/grille seams to provide a seamless look. The interior continues a clean and subtly curved look, inspired by cars like 2006's Chrysler Imperial concept, as well as Tron.

The dash is simple and curved, and it flows into the center console which has a console shifter, a tray to throw some random crap, and four cupholders. Yes, those cupholders will have ambient lighting. I'll add instruments like the nav system and radio as a touchscreen with few buttons. Climate control will be a few simple knobs mounted underneath the touchscreen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #717
    May 2010
    1,310 Posts
    The front and rear guards aren't consistent. IMO I would have the rear guards have less of a sharp angle because you could slice cheese on that, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #718
    September 2011
    859 Posts
    any suggestions? I'm thinking of moving the top line of the rear guard to meet the line of the bed. the thing is I'm going for something like the clean lines of the Colorado Cruz's flares. I'm thinking I might just move the line in the back to get the more tilted forward look.

I think I got it:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #719
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,845 Posts

Oh my, that high poly is orgasmic. How on earth did on you make it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #720
    March 2011
    4,104 Posts
    For some reason I can't import a image into maya, tried saving it as .png, won't work then I tried .jpeg and still won't work.

curse you wineglass image.