1. Post #761
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,697 Posts
    I really wanted something to throw on the gmod 13 workshop so I did what I do best and made a top hat.

526 tris and 9 minutes 20 seconds of actual modeling work. I may throw in some other classy items for a pack to make it seem less hallow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #762
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Monocle and cane, go!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #763
    October 2011
    95 Posts
    Monocle and cane, go!
    Hell yea!!.... i mean indeed wot wot! Cheerio pip pip an all that!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #764
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,790 Posts
    Made some more art assets for my project, It's all ingame and still wip, low poly models with baked normal maps, click to expand

[Wooden Sword]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

5. Post #765
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    That's a pretty sharp design.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #766
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,697 Posts
    Monocle and cane, go!
    As you wish.

The last two items are kind of up in the air, I am thinking possibly a cup of tea with a plate but the last thing is really up for suggestion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #767
    low poly done, with normal map (took me 2h30 to bake a 2k normal map in Maya...) and AO

now the fun part, texturing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #768
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    Two and a half hours for bakes?

bad maya
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #769
    yeah, but at least I get cleaner normal bakes in maya. I still bake my AO maps in Xnormal since Maya's is terribadly bad

10. Post #770
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,376 Posts

Wippin

Also it's my second model ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

11. Post #771
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,645 Posts
    maybe i should start with something easier than a person. I'm struggling with vertices and welding them

12. Post #772
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    If you can't weld verts then you will really struggle trying to model a person, I'd suggest constantly practicing with smaller props so you can learn how to use everything, then once you got that down move on to a beefy project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #773
    a good prop for a beginner would be a fire hydrant, it's isn't hard but it isn't simple either, it can be a little bit tricky depending on what's your concept/reference

14. Post #774
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,645 Posts
    alright cool I'll do that

15. Post #775
    January 2010
    5,332 Posts
    The brim of that top hat is a bit too thick, but it looks good otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #776
    March 2011
    4,302 Posts
    If anyone here uses Maya, I'm getting a error which is 'polyExtrudeFacet works on polygonal surfaces', I'm trying to extrude the top of a cylinder like this person is doing on a tutorial I'm watching for a battery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #777
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,645 Posts
    If anyone here uses Maya, I'm getting a error which is 'polyExtrudeFacet works on polygonal surfaces', I'm trying to extrude the top of a cylinder like this person is doing on a tutorial I'm watching for a battery.
    try using face mode?

18. Post #778
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,697 Posts
    Quick question for you guys just so I know I am on the right track. If I am correct phong masks (and specular maps) work by using a layer or vtf that is in black and white with the lighter spots appearing brighter, correct? So if I was going to make a phong map would I just take my texture, desaturated it then brighten or darken the parts that need it?

19. Post #779
    March 2011
    4,302 Posts
    try using face mode?
    I am.

20. Post #780
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sugex...gonal+surfaces

Edited:

I don't mean to be a dick posting that, but it's not worth our time trying to help if you're not going to even attempt helping yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #781
    March 2011
    4,302 Posts
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sugex...gonal+surfaces

Edited:

I don't mean to be a dick posting that, but it's not worth our time trying to help if you're not going to even attempt helping yourself.
    I actually tried searching, but most of my results that came up were in Chinese or Japanese.

The ones that did come up in english, only one person asked what happened and the guy who posted the problem went 'oh lol its fixed now nevermind'.

22. Post #782
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,697 Posts
    Quick question for you guys just so I know I am on the right track. If I am correct phong masks (and specular maps) work by using a layer or vtf that is in black and white with the lighter spots appearing brighter, correct? So if I was going to make a phong map would I just take my texture, desaturated it then brighten or darken the parts that need it?
    Can I get a bit of help with this?

23. Post #783
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,709 Posts
    Yes, then put it in your normal map's alpha map and save it as 32 bits TGA, then convert it into a VTF with VTFEdit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

24. Post #784
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,844 Posts
    Yes, then put it in your normal map's alpha map and save it as 32 bits TGA, then convert it into a VTF with VTFEdit.
    Or just save it as a vtf?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

25. Post #785
    February 2007
    10,709 Posts
    Or just save it as a vtf?
    I don't use the plugin, I prefer VTFEdit.

26. Post #786
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,844 Posts
    I don't use the plugin, I prefer VTFEdit.
    Why? That just adds a pointless extra step to the process.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

27. Post #787
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,164 Posts
    CS5 crashes when saving vtf files with the plugin for me, so I've had to use vtf edit. It's such a pain in the ass to open up a separate program to do what I could do in photoshop before.

28. Post #788
    February 2007
    10,709 Posts
    Oh? I use CS5, so it might be hard to switch for me then.

29. Post #789
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    15,262 Posts
    I use CS2, so no problems for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #790
    QUACK
    December 2008
    5,169 Posts
    this may be a really simple question for somebody with experience, but what's the general method of detaching something in an animation?

i've got that grenade up there and well the pin has to come off, do i literally just separate the mesh and have it as a separate object or is there a way to do it with bones? a friend mentioned that you should be able to do it via bones, but i've got next to no experience with rigging/animation so a little help would be appreciated.

31. Post #791
    Formerly Shotgunguy49
    July 2008
    4,485 Posts
    You could do it with bones, MaxofS2D recently made a video explaining how to parent bones during an animation. I used the same method recently for one of my animation assignments.

32. Post #792
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,544 Posts
    I really hope he doesn't mind but I uh...started texturing Mr. Brightside's 98B for funsies. I'll be posting more WIP as I go if the general consensus is that it doesn't suck ass. I'm already toning down the scratches a bit, it's so fun painting them on I can't help myself.

EDIT:

Holy shit the model is so huge I had to scale it to .25% (aka not 25%, .25%) oh man haha, is that normal?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

33. Post #793
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,697 Posts
    I don't care what others say, this is the best use of specular maps !

(Thank you for helping me understand this )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

34. Post #794
    QUACK
    December 2008
    5,169 Posts
    You could do it with bones, MaxofS2D recently made a video explaining how to parent bones during an animation. I used the same method recently for one of my animation assignments.
    thanks dude! with you posting this & me doing an hour or so of messing around i finally got it to work

35. Post #795
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,544 Posts
    Hahaha, funny! I just sent you a huge PM about bones because I just noticed your post :P

Edited:

Gettin' there. I don't like how the scope was done though, it's making me sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #796
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,788 Posts
    fuck yeah first model I've been able to successfully export to source without horrors and a somewhat proper scaling.
    Big Tony's Coffee Cups

edit : new picture. for some reason gmod had removed all AA settings.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

37. Post #797
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #798
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,376 Posts

UV'd, textured, phong'd, normal mapped, envmapped.

Whee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

39. Post #799
    Love the texture work, could you post some flats?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #800
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Certainly.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 3 (list)