1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,350 Posts
       I dont understand why the poison killed the maester, but not the priestess   
       Fucking magic   

That being said, a lot of the "magic" elements in the series can be explained away by science/psychology, such as (ACoK)    Daenerys' experience in the temple of the Undying Ones: she's drugged by the warlock's shade of the evening and simply burns the temple down,       wildfire is basically some volatile chemical similar to napalm or greek fire   .

For all we know Maester Cressen (Stannis' maester) is simply    un-nerved by Melisandre and gives her the wrong drink by accident   .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,665 Posts
       Fucking magic   

That being said, a lot of the "magic" elements in the series can be explained away by science/psychology, such as (ACoK)    Daenerys' experience in the temple of the Undying Ones: she's drugged by the warlock's shade of the evening and simply burns the temple down,       wildfire is basically some volatile chemical similar to napalm or greek fire   .

For all we know Maester Cressen (Stannis' maester) is simply    un-nerved by Melisandre and gives her the wrong drink by accident   .
    Eh..    The undying scene was magic on account of the accurate visions she received and wildfire is somewhat magic because the head pyromancer dude says it's been getting stronger for no reason. (of course it's cause of the magic/dragons coming back) and the poison doesn't really need explaining.. It's fantasy, explaining it with science doesn't really work because that's not what is meant to be.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,545 Posts
       Fucking magic   

In the books, I thought    Melisandre's red necklace had sometime to do with her surviving the poison? So that's probably something magical, but still left sort of ambiguous like the rest of her "magics".    That's if I'm even remembering the books right though.

And The Maester and the Red Women drink from the same cup so I don't think she got the wrong drink..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,366 Posts
    Maybe people from Asshai have a tolerance to that stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #485
    dailydose
    May 2009
    850 Posts
    Looks what I just found in my private tracker; Game.of.Thrones.s02e02.720p.WebRip-x264

Is this something exclusive for HBO members?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #486
    August 2011
    410 Posts
    Ian Whyte (taking over for Conan Stevens) as Gregor Clegane:
    why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #487
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,214 Posts
    stevens was a good gregor and looking at pictures of him he's so fucking huge. why did he leave?

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,113 Posts
    stevens was a good gregor and looking at pictures of him he's so fucking huge. why did he leave?
    They just decided to replace him as far as I know. I don't think a real reason was ever given.

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,115 Posts
    Scheduling conflicts most likely. It's a shame as he was perfect for the role.
    Considering how many books there are and how long it will take for each to be adapted onto TV, I'm wondering if any of the major characters will have to be replaced in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,885 Posts
    They drank from the same cup

I personally believe that there is no other explanation than magic for some events (which should be pretty obvious) but you're right, many things are simply misunderstood as magic.    And for the record, I don't believe "the great Other" or R'hllor exist either. There's only magic that manifests in different ways, and people interpret it as there being gods of different alignments.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    They drank from the same cup

I personally believe that there is no other explanation than magic for some events (which should be pretty obvious) but you're right, many things are simply misunderstood as magic.    And for the record, I don't believe "the great Other" or R'hllor exist either. There's only magic that manifests in different ways, and people interpret it as there being gods of different alignments.   
    The second I saw her amulet blink, I thought to myself "Oh,   an amulet of poison resistance +22   "
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

12. Post #492
    September 2010
    975 Posts
    They just decided to replace him as far as I know. I don't think a real reason was ever given.
    I think Conan had to take up a larger role in the new Hobbit movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #493
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    I think Conan had to take up a larger role in the new Hobbit movie.
    A bunch of pages back someone linked a blogpost in which Conan wrote the reason for not playing in the second season.

Edited:

Found it
    Under the header "The Point and The Answer:"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

14. Post #494
    September 2009
    4,390 Posts
    The 1st episode promised good things, the rest of the series should be epic as fuck, the book was exciting enough!

major series/book 2 spoiler (duh)
       Personally I can't wait for Renly's death, I've been holding that one in for so long...   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

15. Post #495
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,200 Posts
    Legit 720p version of ep 2 found on familiar pirate, demon and bay sites.

WINTER IS COMING EVEN QUICKER!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,214 Posts
    wait what? is it on any of hbo's sites LEGITIMATELY? i should have access to all of them

doesnt look like it, guess maybe they uploaded it to a server or something and someone pulled it off. that or maybe it was sent to the media and they leaked it (since didn't they review the first few episodes already)?

Edited:

did they recast gendry too? god damn stop recasting people

17. Post #497
    Scheduling conflicts most likely. It's a shame as he was perfect for the role.
    Considering how many books there are and how long it will take for each to be adapted onto TV, I'm wondering if any of the major characters will have to be replaced in the future.
    The actor himself made a statement on his website saying that he isn't sure why he was replaced either, but that he was thankful for the chance to have the role.

wait what? is it on any of hbo's sites LEGITIMATELY? i should have access to all of them

doesnt look like it, guess maybe they uploaded it to a server or something and someone pulled it off. that or maybe it was sent to the media and they leaked it (since didn't they review the first few episodes already)?

Edited:

I think with Gendry the actor has gotten older and as a result looks somewhat different, I'm not sure myself though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,113 Posts

Edited:

No, Gendry is still the same actor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,366 Posts
    No, Gendry just has a mustache now.

20. Post #500
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,254 Posts
    Season two started out just as nicely as Season one. HBO never fails to deliver great series. (The Wire, Oz, Generation Kill..)

Also, it is very tempting to just wait until all the episodes are out so I could just rage through multiple episodes in a row.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #501
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    Season two started out just as nicely as Season one. HBO never fails to deliver great series. (The Wire, Oz, Generation Kill..)

Also, it is very tempting to just wait until all the episodes are out so I could just rage through multiple episodes in a row.
    I wanted to do the same thing; wait until they were all released and watch them all in a sitting.

But then it was Sunday and I found myself sitting on the couch with my GF and 3 other friends watching it.

22. Post #502
    October 2010
    434 Posts
    Ratings are in and we have a winner:

Thrones returned to 3.9 million viewers. That’s up a massive 74 percent from its series debut last year. It also greatly improves upon the show’s previous all-time high, which was just over 3 million viewers. Including all three Sunday airings, the show delivered 6.3 million viewers. The numbers mean a third season renewal is pretty much guaranteed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

23. Post #503
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    Ratings are in and we have a winner:
    This pleases me greatly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #504
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,591 Posts
    Just finished watching the second episode. It's pretty good, plenty of sex scenes to avoid watching with your parents.

25. Post #505
    October 2010
    434 Posts
    Just finished watching the second episode. It's pretty good, plenty of sex scenes to avoid watching with your parents.
    I think this is the wrong decision by HBO. Hopefully it does not impact the ratings too much. (letting Europe release these episodes a week early.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,885 Posts
    Episode 7 of season 1 was also released a week early.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

27. Post #507
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,665 Posts

wanna nuzzle dat wolf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

28. Post #508
    October 2010
    434 Posts
    Episode 7 of season 1 was also released a week early.
    True, but that was a one week thing, not every week.

Edited:

wanna nuzzle dat wolf
    loved licking his chops!

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,665 Posts
    True, but that was a one week thing, not every week.

Edited:

loved licking his chops!
    This is a one week thing.

30. Post #510
    October 2010
    434 Posts
    This is a one week thing.
    It is? Please let the owner of WIC.net know, because he was kind of freaking out.

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,214 Posts
    wow episode 2 is further ahead than i am in the book. :/

also they wrote out    stannis' daughter   

32. Post #512
    October 2010
    434 Posts
    I hope they move    sacking of winterfell    to the 3rd season. Need the Reeds!

33. Post #513
    June 2008
    466 Posts
    episode 2 spoilers

fuck yea tyrion, lord commander of the gold cloaks got what was coming to him. also, apparently the guy living north of the wall is sacrificing his male sons for protection against the white walkers?    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

34. Post #514
    October 2010
    434 Posts
    Ryan and Ryan podcast on Game of Thrones 1st episode:

http://web.me.com/mcgeeryan/The_Pod_...Remembers.html

Special guest editor of Wic.net

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,665 Posts
    wow episode 2 is further ahead than i am in the book. :/

also they wrote out    stannis' daughter   
    lol they're gonna be so fucked later on because    she's possibly going to be pretty important later on in Book 6/7    <- not really spoilers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #516
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    15,408 Posts
    i heard episode two got leaked. is this true

also should I read the books or just watch the show and not spoil the surprise for myself

37. Post #517
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,285 Posts
    So I heard the actor playing Jaqen pronounce his name as "Jarken" :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

38. Post #518
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    So I heard the actor playing Jaqen pronounce his name as "Jarken" :/
    I do hope he does it right in the series.

39. Post #519
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,020 Posts
    God I hope Carice van Houten (don't know her character's name) dies in the next episode or something. I can't stand hearing that goddamn Dutch accent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #520
    October 2010
    434 Posts
    God I hope Carice van Houten (don't know her character's name) dies in the next episode or something. I can't stand hearing that goddamn Dutch accent.
       She doesn't die lol   

Edited:

lol they're gonna be so fucked later on because    she's possibly going to be pretty important later on in Book 6/7    <- not really spoilers.
    Ugh. D&D are doing all sorts of things that can have problems down the road. With Osha talking about the wolfdreams with Bran    There goes the f**king reed twins ugh