December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    Looks like a rubber dome with plungers.
    agreed, i have one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #202
    March 2009
    362 Posts
    I'm considering replacing my G19 with a mechanical keyboard. I see some of you here have commented that there's no point in getting one unless you type with a speed of like 100 or so WPM. I tried my hand at this test: http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/ and i got around 60 WPM in my 2 attempts. I figure I'd go faster if i was typing a text out of my head, but will i benefit much from having a mechanical keyboard?

The other thing I'm wondering is what kind of switches i should go for. I do spend a good portion of my time gaming, and I don't want switches that are uncomfortable to game with. When I type, it's usually just forums or chats. Occasionally I also have schoolwork that requires me to type a lot (chemistry reports, history papers etc.). I hear Cherry MX reds are good for gaming, and that blues are best for typing. I've never tried a mechanical keyboard before, so i really don't know what I'm after. I share the basement with my little brother who likes to have the TV on while gaming and not actually paying attention to it, so I don't think noise will be a problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

3. Post #203
    November 2010
    2,267 Posts
    I'm considering replacing my G19 with a mechanical keyboard. I see some of you here have commented that there's no point in getting one unless you type with a speed of like 100 or so WPM. I tried my hand at this test: http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/ and i got around 60 WPM in my 2 attempts. I figure I'd go faster if i was typing a text out of my head, but will i benefit much from having a mechanical keyboard?

The other thing I'm wondering is what kind of switches i should go for. I do spend a good portion of my time gaming, and I don't want switches that are uncomfortable to game with. When I type, it's usually just forums or chats. Occasionally I also have schoolwork that requires me to type a lot (chemistry reports, history papers etc.). I hear Cherry MX reds are good for gaming, and that blues are best for typing. I've never tried a mechanical keyboard before, so i really don't know what I'm after. I share the basement with my little brother who likes to have the TV on while gaming and not actually paying attention to it, so I don't think noise will be a problem.
    I wouldn't say there's NO point in getting one unless you're a fast typer, personally I much prefer the feel and the tactile click of mechanicals to rubber dome. Plus mechanicals are almost always really well built and will as a rule of thumb last much longer than your typical rubber dome.
    Personally I find it hard to justify the price of most mechanicals, it's true that you wont see much benefit in typing speed unless you're already really fast.
    The $60-$100 more you pay for a mechanical is to me better spent on something that gives more enjoyment, like put into a good pair of headphones. But that's all personal preference, I'd recommend you buy a mechanical second hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Sweden Show Events

4. Post #204
    August 2007
    869 Posts
    get a dell at101w. great for gaming and typibg. also watch for sales on the newegg mechanicals. imho mechanicals are a fantastic typing experiance. going back to dome is like typing on a sponge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,526 Posts
    Hey guys <3

I have a budget of 65. What's the best keyboard for gaming? Or really, best use overall? I did want the X6 but ghosting issues from people pressing 3 or more keys urged me to look at the X4.

Better options for up to 65?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,374 Posts
    I keep hearing that PS/2 keyboards don't have a limit on how many keys can be pressed simultaneously unlike USB, but my PS/2 keyboard seems to have a fairly low limit. What gives?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

7. Post #207

April 2011
    4,547 Posts
    Hey guys <3

I have a budget of 65. What's the best keyboard for gaming? Or really, best use overall? I did want the X6 but ghosting issues from people pressing 3 or more keys urged me to look at the X4.

Better options for up to 65?
    You could get a Cherry G80-3000 for that price. Though only with Blues or Blacks in UK layout.

If you don't understand the switch types then they are explained in the OP.

Edited:

I keep hearing that PS/2 keyboards don't have a limit on how many keys can be pressed simultaneously unlike USB, but my PS/2 keyboard seems to have a fairly low limit. What gives?
    It could just be a shit board.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #208
    December 2011
    35 Posts
    I've been considering getting a mechanical keyboard for awhile now, as you will see if you read back a few pages, I didn't know what to go for. It was my first mechanical and I didn't even know if I would like the feel. All I was going on was a recommendation from a friend.

I didn't know which one to buy for ages, I was bombarded with millions of keyboard, all with different pro's con's and switches. I play a lot of FPS games and I type quite a lot for school so I didn't know what switches to even go with. I wasn't sure weather to get Blacks, Browns, Reds, Blue's etc.

Eventually, I narrowed it down to either Blacks or Reds, as I wanted a linear switch rather than a tactile one. After a bit more research I decided to go for the Red's purely because they are easier to press than Blacks (I think that is the only difference). I was either going to get a Thermaltake Meka G1 with black switches, or a Cosair K90 with red switches so when I decided on the Red's, I went ahead and bought the K90 off Amazon.

I wasn't really sure what to expect as I had never typed on one before and had used rubber dome all my life. I thought it would take awhile to get used to, but it didn't at all. It feels fantastic.

Anyway, love red's, love the keyboard, if anyone is on the fence about buying one just do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    Gold Member

February 2008
    5,015 Posts
    When I first started I never noticed a large difference going from a rubberdome to a mechanical keyboard, but when you go back the difference is immediate and I really can't stand it. It's like a rewarding curse of things. If you have the funds to invest in one and you type a lot, do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #210
    December 2011
    35 Posts
    When I first started I never noticed a large difference going from a rubberdome to a mechanical keyboard, but when you go back the difference is immediate and I really can't stand it. It's like a rewarding curse of things. If you have the funds to invest in one and you type a lot, do it.
    To me, if I try and go back now, even with such little experience with mechanical keyboards, it's horrible. All the keyboards in school are rubberdome, they feel so.. I don't really know how to describe it, they feel very muddy. It's horrible :P

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,374 Posts
    It could just be a shit board.
    It's not even a mechanical keyboard, just some old Microsoft branded shit.
    I forgot to mention that Windows starts beeping when it stops registering keys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

12. Post #212
    November 2010
    1,692 Posts
    Some do, some don't.
    Some USB keyboards have NKRO now by appearing to the OS as multiple keyboards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

13. Post #213
    Fuck Your Life
    Dennab
    July 2011
    2,186 Posts
    Bought a Razer Blackwidow (No one really ships to Australia, sadly, wanted a more expensive KB)... Loving this though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,192 Posts
    the true test of your typing speed

I only got up to 'believe' which is like 106wpm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #215
    Fuck Your Life
    Dennab
    July 2011
    2,186 Posts
    I got to instance... hit backspace a few times (I've only had this keyboard for a few hours).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

16. Post #216
    the true test of your typing speed

I only got up to 'believe' which is like 106wpm.
    wow fuck I got to appear, which is between reasons and ridiculously
    I suck at typing forever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,526 Posts
    I can type fast but I make too many mistakes along the way. Pretty much, I'm like that guy in a race that keeps tripping up but manages not to finish the race last

18. Post #218
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Just bought a 1987 Model M, mint condition with red ESC keycap, can't wait for this to arrive:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #219

April 2011
    4,547 Posts
    Just bought a 1987 Model M, mint condition with red ESC keycap, can't wait for this to arrive:

How much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

20. Post #220
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    70 ($110) including shipping which is the same as a Razer Blackwidow, I'd say I came out on top.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #221
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,526 Posts
    I really dislike the white of that. For me it would have to be black, is what i'm used to.

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    Bought a Corsair K90 a while ago. Was looking at a lot of different keyboards. Mechanical switches aside I was primarily looking for backlighting (really hard to find) and a volume control. I really like the feel of the red-switched keys, though occasionally I accidentally trigger keys while resting my fingers on them (only when I'm really tired) because the lack of tactile feedback. I can't say I'm unhappy though, but I would love to try blacks and blues some day just to feel the difference. The springs do give a lovely sensation through the entire motion despite the lack of "click" at the trigger point, both when I hit they key and when it resets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #223
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I really dislike the white of that. For me it would have to be black, is what i'm used to.
    I was originally going to get a black customizer but I couldn't pass up a Mint 87 Model M, either way, white or black is fine for me, both simple and fit almost anywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #224
    Holy shit it looks amazing
    dat panic button/launch nukes button escape key
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,069 Posts
    Excellent condition, if it wasn't such a fat keyboard I would buy one myself, but I love the size of my Quickfire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,205 Posts
    Jesus christ how can people type so fast.
    Also, QWERTY sucks. I hate it so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

27. Post #227
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    I can type at 114. I'll admit, I'm pretty smug about it

28. Post #228
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    I can't type for shit anymore, I used to be able to get 140-150 but now I'm only averaging around 122

29. Post #229

April 2011
    4,547 Posts
    I can't type for shit. About 60-70WPM is my limit, and even then that's if I know something off by heart. If I'm copying words off a screen or something I'm slower.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #230

April 2011
    211 Posts
    I type about 140 WPM on this keyboard.. I miss my old mechanical keyboard :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

31. Post #231
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,205 Posts
    I can't type for shit. About 60-70WPM is my limit, and even then that's if I know something off by heart. If I'm copying words off a screen or something I'm slower.
    I get about 80WMP. Even less with the ten-finger-system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,069 Posts
    I am at 120WPM, but I also type using only 2 fingers so :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #233
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    I can type really fast if I try, but I enjoy typing slowly, probably around 80wpm

34. Post #234
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,526 Posts
    I really really really can't decide on a keyboard. I DO really want an x6 but people suggest an x4 because the other ghosts.. but the Cyborg v5 looks nice!

These aren't mechanical keyboards I don't think but I can't decideeee :(

35. Post #235
    December 2011
    35 Posts
    I really really really can't decide on a keyboard. I DO really want an x6 but people suggest an x4 because the other ghosts.. but the Cyborg v5 looks nice!

These aren't mechanical keyboards I don't think but I can't decideeee :(
    If you can afford one man, go for one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CH-9...9956346&sr=8-1

I used to have a Logitech G510 which is rubberdome, then I bought one of those ^^

Amazing. It is so different. Don't spend your money on some rubberdome thing that cost someone pennies to make and they're selling them making huge profits for shit. Fair enough if you've tried mechanical keyboards and you don't like them, but if you haven't it's definitely worth it.

Jeez, you guys are going to start thinking I work for Corsair I've been preaching about this so much the past few days. But seriously, keyboards were meant to be mechanical.

36. Post #236
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    I just got my first mechanical keyboard I've ever used in my life set up, I have one thing to say.

Takakakakaka

37. Post #237
    April 2011
    3,188 Posts
    I took the test thing and i got 35 wpm.

:smith:

38. Post #238
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    Took a test at max concentration and 141 whooooooooo. I still average around 100-120 just typing normally though.

I type with the 6 finger system btw. All fours on my left hand, left thumb resting on space, right index hitting most of the keys on the right side, right middle hitting some keys (usually symbols), right ring doing nothing, and right pink hitting backspace and enter. My right thumb also hovers over space and is the thumb i use to hit it. It's weird, apparently developed from chatting alot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #239
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    Took a test at max concentration and 141 whooooooooo. I still average around 100-120 just typing normally though.

I type with the 6 finger system btw. All fours on my left hand, left thumb resting on space, right index hitting most of the keys on the right side, right middle hitting some keys (usually symbols), right ring doing nothing, and right pink hitting backspace and enter. My right thumb also hovers over space and is the thumb i use to hit it. It's weird, apparently developed from chatting alot.
    I use pretty much the same system. left pinkie for ctrl\shift\alt\super, left ring for tab\keys, L.mid keys, L.index keys, L.thumb space; R thumb useless, R index errything, R. mid useless, R.ring shift\backspace, R. pinkie ctrl

when you get down to it i'm basically a 4 finger typer (on alphanumeric keys)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

40. Post #240
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    R.ring shift\backspace, R. pinkie ctrl)
    thats some crazy fucking hand stretching.

Edited:

Unless you move your hold hand then nvm