1. Post #281
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,934 Posts
    Well, i managed to find this site: http://www.keyboardco.com/

Turns out they have swedish/finnish layout keyboards. The only difference between those and the norwegian layout is two letters ( and ). I don't really care about that as long as all the symbols and stuff are the same though. The question is: are Filco keyboards any good?
    the best
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #282
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,814 Posts
    Good news. Had a lycosa (LOL) sitting around and its feet fit! yay! Still, looking for others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #283

April 2010
    2,406 Posts
    Well, i managed to find this site: http://www.keyboardco.com/

Turns out they have swedish/finnish layout keyboards. The only difference between those and the norwegian layout is two letters ( and ). I don't really care about that as long as all the symbols and stuff are the same though. The question is: are Filco keyboards any good?
    I have a Filco Majestouch 2 with blue switches. I think it's great, love the feel and weight of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #284
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    Good news. Had a lycosa (LOL) sitting around and its feet fit! yay! Still, looking for others.
    I just noticed all of Razer's keyboards are spiders and their mouses are snakes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #285
    I'm sitting on my ass and not doing trial and error for the M's pinout because I don't want to restart my computer for each try.
    :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events

6. Post #286
    March 2009
    362 Posts
    I have a Filco Majestouch 2 with blue switches. I think it's great, love the feel and weight of it.
    How is it to game on? I play mostly FPS type games, and from what I can understand, the blue switches can be a bit problematic when you need to tap keys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

7. Post #287
    Fuck Your Life
    Dennab
    July 2011
    2,186 Posts
    I'm typing on Blues, haven't had any issues with it, I play Battlefield at a competitive level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

8. Post #288
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    Yea, I don't get why people say they have problems gaming on blues, they're absolutely fooooine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,080 Posts
    Yea, I don't get why people say they have problems gaming on blues, they're absolutely fooooine.
    Sometimes I find myself holding a key without knowing on blues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #290
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    Sometimes I find myself holding a key without knowing on blues.
    Shit you have heavy hands then.

11. Post #291
    March 2009
    362 Posts
    So does this mean Blues would be preferable to for example browns, even though i plan to use the keyboard for gaming aswell? I don't think noise would be a problem, so ignore that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

12. Post #292
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    Is the K90 mechanical? Some saying it isn't, some saying the macro's aren't but others are.. if so, I found it for price of about 90. Is it worth it? I'll be played mostly FPS but Skyrim, etc too.

Or should I just stick with the Sidewinder X6?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    It is, yes.
    Assuming you mean the Corsair K90. For FPS, just get the K60.

14. Post #294

April 2010
    2,406 Posts
    How is it to game on? I play mostly FPS type games, and from what I can understand, the blue switches can be a bit problematic when you need to tap keys.
    I've had no problem with it after the first week. I did sometimes keep keys pressed down by accident during the first few days but then I eventually stopped doing it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #295
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    It is, yes.
    Assuming you mean the Corsair K90. For FPS, just get the K60.
    Only thing with the K60 is, i'm looking for backlighting. Backlighting mechanical seems expensive so I could just stick with a normal one, just not sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #296
    October 2008
    2,370 Posts
    Is the K90 mechanical? Some saying it isn't, some saying the macro's aren't but others are.. if so, I found it for price of about 90. Is it worth it? I'll be played mostly FPS but Skyrim, etc too.

Or should I just stick with the Sidewinder X6?
    Esc, F1-12, Marco, and the block of 6 keys with Home at the center are all rubber dome, the rest are mechanical.

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    I'm set on a mouse but I REALLY have no idea which keyboard to buy. Should I hold out for upcoming keyboards?

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Only thing with the K60 is, i'm looking for backlighting. Backlighting mechanical seems expensive so I could just stick with a normal one, just not sure.
    Why do you need backlighting?

Mechanical keyboards are pretty pointless if you are Hunt & Pecking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    Why do you need backlighting?

Mechanical keyboards are pretty pointless if you are Hunt & Pecking.
    I just like the look of backlighting

I think i'll put my whole 100 budget on the K90. Wire of my Logitech Marble mouse is a bit broken, but fine in a specific place, which is the art of a trackball is I won't be hardly moving the whole mouse/wire. Also, i'm a bit stuck for space on my desk but I love my trackball so much at the moment. My keyboard wire is the most annoying as I get freezing or the keys stop working etc..

How noisy exactly is the K90?

I have this at the moment which is quite noisy:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2010
    7,246 Posts
    You are whining about a rubber dome being loud and you are going to get a mechanical?

Oh god what a joke!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    You are whining about a rubber dome being loud and you are going to get a mechanical?

Oh god what a joke!
    I do have to consider typing at night with people sleeping in the next room, but at the same time buying a keyboard that will last me for really long.

I've ditched buying a new mouse, happy with trackball.. so it may as well go to a mechanical one.

So does anyone have some actual advice instead of a reply that isn't going to help me?

22. Post #302
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,934 Posts
    can you please just buy a keyboard with blacks/reds and be done with it

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    can you please just buy a keyboard with blacks/reds and be done with it
    Why are you moaning? I came here in need of some options. Shoot me for being picky over what to choose.

24. Post #304
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,934 Posts
    you've posted 11 times over the past 5 days and still haven't picked a keyboard, it usually takes people 1-3 posts to get what they want

buy a 6gv2/7g/filco/leopold/rk-9000

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,046 Posts
    Mechanical keyboards are usually noisier than rubber domes, though in different ways. With red switches you don't get the clicky noise from the tactile feedback but you'll still get the loud clapping of the caps hitting their bottom positions. What you don't get, however, is the dull thumping/slamming noises of your hits on the rubber dome keys propagating through the entire cheap plastic keyboard casing. The mechanical switches seem much better at absorbing the force of the hits (understandably, since each switch has their own steel spring).

I don't know a good way of describing this, but I remember having to hit the rubber dome keys on my old keyboard pretty violently, which caused a low-pitched thundering noise to ring out while I was typing fast. I don't get that on my K90, even though mechanical keys are inherently louder. So basically you're trading in a low-pitched thumping sound for a high-pitched clacking. For example, I imagine typing on a K90 can potentially be more friendly to someone sleeping in the next room, but I guarantee you it's gonna annoy the hell out of everyone on a teamspeak channel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #306

April 2010
    2,406 Posts
    you've posted 11 times over the past 5 days and still haven't picked a keyboard, it usually takes people 1-3 posts to get what they want

It's a bad idea to rush these things, otherwise you might end up with a keyboard you don't like.

Doing some personal research and looking for youtube reviews of your keyboard will be a good start to deciding the keyboard that is right for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #307
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,934 Posts
    It's a bad idea to rush these things, otherwise you might end up with a keyboard you don't like.

Doing some personal research and looking for youtube reviews of your keyboard will be a good start to deciding the keyboard that is right for you.
    there are people that post in this thread that have already done all of the research and are here to share with those that come to ask
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts

The amount of times i've gone rushing into buying things and having to take them back is ridiculous. I can't trust myself to make my own decisions on products really, that's just how I am.

If you're getting annoyed by me, please just add me to your ignore list.

Edited:

Mechanical keyboards are usually noisier than rubber domes, though in different ways. With red switches you don't get the clicky noise from the tactile feedback but you'll still get the loud clapping of the caps hitting their bottom positions. What you don't get, however, is the dull thumping/slamming noises of your hits on the rubber dome keys propagating through the entire cheap plastic keyboard casing. The mechanical switches seem much better at absorbing the force of the hits (understandably, since each switch has their own steel spring).

I don't know a good way of describing this, but I remember having to hit the rubber dome keys on my old keyboard pretty violently, which caused a low-pitched thundering noise to ring out while I was typing fast. I don't get that on my K90, even though mechanical keys are inherently louder. So basically you're trading in a low-pitched thumping sound for a high-pitched clacking. For example, I imagine typing on a K90 can potentially be more friendly to someone sleeping in the next room, but I guarantee you it's gonna annoy the hell out of everyone on a teamspeak channel.
    Ohh, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. My rubbish budget keyboard does indeed make that low-pitch clank/rattle and i'm pretty sure because of it being low-pitched, it would be more audible through standard walls.

Is there a place in the UK that let's you try out mechanical keyboards, such as the different cherry types?

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,046 Posts
    Don't know, but there are a number of youtube vids with noise comparisons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #310
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    Me and Giacomand were just having a conversation. I've narrowed it down to 3, hoorah \/

EDIT: Okay, looks like I have the one I want as the other two aren't sold in the UK. I'll get the Corsair K90, great price, great backlight (I want to admire my mechanical keyboard in the dark, dumb huh?) and a LOT of macro's which will prove handy in Editing and Photoshop too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #311
    I'm basically scarface, so line your bitches up so they can get a taste of my shlong.
    March 2007
    510 Posts
    Having issues trying to find MX Brown keyboards in a UK layout :/. Im pretty sure I want Brown caps now, however finding them in a UK layout with a maximum of 110 is pretty tricky.

32. Post #312
    I'm pretty sure WASD has like, every layout ever or something like that
    or was that Das, i don't remember
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events

33. Post #313
    I'm basically scarface, so line your bitches up so they can get a taste of my shlong.
    March 2007
    510 Posts
    I'm pretty sure WASD has like, every layout ever or something like that
    or was that Das, i don't remember
    Yeah I looked as WASD and they don't offer MX Brown on the UK keyboard styles, and DAS uses the US layout

34. Post #314
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    Having issues trying to find MX Brown keyboards in a UK layout :/. Im pretty sure I want Brown caps now, however finding them in a UK layout with a maximum of 110 is pretty tricky.
    I do wish Corsair had a cherry brown version, but seeing as their K90 is branded as an "MMO/RTS" keyboard, the cherry reds are ideal for FPS as far as I heard, so hoping I will get used to them as i'm already used to a button having that activation feel, so you know it's been pressed.

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Wow, do you really believe there are specialized keyboards for each game genre?

You must not be one of the brightest...

Edited:

I see why you need the backlighting now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #316
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts

Edited:

Oh please, just shut up for once and stop complaining.

I want the back lighting for the look, I can type fine without looking. Also, I'm taking into account that the Cherry reds have a quicker activation, which would be ideal for FPS.

37. Post #317
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,934 Posts

Edited:

you're dumb

different switches are good for different things

38. Post #318

April 2011
    4,463 Posts
    Oh please, just shut up for once and stop complaining.

I want the back lighting for the look, I can type fine without looking. Also, I'm taking into account that the Cherry reds have a quicker activation, which would be ideal for FPS.
    Reds don't activate faster. The Blacks probably activate the fastest because the extra force you need will make you overcompensate and press the switch faster.

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,385 Posts
    Reds don't activate faster. The Blacks probably activate the fastest because the extra force you need will make you overcompensate and press the switch faster.
    Ah yeah, Cherry Red is more of a "lighter" version of the Black. Has a lower actuation force or so i've heard (the red) but handy I guess. Wish they did have a cherry black version for the keyboard I want :P

40. Post #320

April 2011
    4,463 Posts
    Ah yeah, Cherry Red is more of a "lighter" version of the Black. Has a lower actuation force or so i've heard (the red) but handy I guess. Wish they did have a cherry black version for the keyboard I want :P
    You STILL haven't got it? Just get a 6GV2 or 7G and be done with it if you want Blacks.