1. Post #681
    Fuck Your Life
    Dennab
    July 2011
    2,186 Posts
    How do you know that actuation point is 50g? 50g weight or?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

2. Post #682
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    A US nickel is 5g exactly (within margin of error), so if you're in the US you can stack them on the key and it'll give you an idea of the actuation force within 5g.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #683
    August 2011
    35 Posts
    David is spot on, the modded keys only took 10 nickles to actuate (50g) vs 15 nickles for unmodded (75g.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #684
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,353 Posts
    I cant get used to this crappy dell keyboard after my old one. I make so my mistakes using it.

Waiting on my Majestouch 2 to arrive is painful.

Edited:

It's a public holiday tomorrow so it'll probably arrive the day after.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #685
    Fuck Your Life
    Dennab
    July 2011
    2,186 Posts
    I swap between a Black Widow and a compact layout Logitech. Its a bitch swapping (typing errors for half an hour) but mmm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #686
    March 2009
    362 Posts
    I swap between a Black Widow and a compact layout Logitech. Its a bitch swapping (typing errors for half an hour) but mmm.
    I have the same problem. Use a laptop keyboard at school all day, then i come home and struggle fiercely to type for hours afterwards. Only time i can type right is during the weekends, because I don't have the damn laptop messing me up the whole day before i get to my Filco.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

7. Post #687
    October 2011
    97 Posts
    The only solution is to bring your keyboard to school.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #688
    Fuck Your Life
    Dennab
    July 2011
    2,186 Posts
    Maybe its different over there or something but I'm fairly sure I wouldnt be allowed to use my own mech keyboard at school
    Why are you walking around with a keyboard
    why is your keyboard so loud
    why do you need your own keyboard
    dont be stupid go to detention

9. Post #689
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,501 Posts
    Maybe its different over there or something but I'm fairly sure I wouldnt be allowed to use my own mech keyboard at school
    I actually brought my quickfire rapid into school today to type my English essay. I can't stand the shitty lenovo ones they have at the school. Nobody seemed to mind, plus it came in handy when my history teacher asked me to do some data entry for marks because his student teacher was off doing something else today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #690
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    517 Posts
    I'm thinking about buying the Steelseires 6Gv2(I can get it for 70€) since there aren't much other mech keyboards around Estonia and its within my buget limit of 90€.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

11. Post #691
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Do it then, they're not bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #692
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,151 Posts
    that's funny cuz I originally got my Model M from my school. My computer info sys. teacher let me have it cuz I made up some story that I needed a keyboard that my G15 died (well, it actually did) and I needed a keyboard to borrow. He said I don't have to return it.
    For the rest of the day I kept getting questions as to why I have it, I just replied I took it in to repair it.
    It was an amusing day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

13. Post #693
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,353 Posts
    Just got my Majestouch 2 Blue Switches Tenkeyless.

Sweet.

Edited:

Heres a pic.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #694
    Quick, someone tell me what the good mainstream mechanical keyboard brands / models are
    I just found out some places actually DO sell mechanicals here but they prefer to not say they're mechanical for some goddamned reason. Instead, they advertise their braided cables and extra function keys.

some i've seen:
    -Blackwidow Ultimate (there's a guy selling a normal one but charging $400 for it )
    -Thermaltake Challenger (it looks pretty good but it has MX Blacks and I want the tactile bump)

I've started to save money in case someone starts selling Das here or something, but I think my best bet is still finding someone who can sell me a board for ~$125 (fat chance but whatever)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

15. Post #695
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    CM Storm Quickfire series boards are very nice, I love my Cherry Red one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #696
    August 2011
    35 Posts
    Found out my Mtek k104 has ghosting and thus I cant do certain key combos (Such as WAQ, or SDC)

17. Post #697
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Just bought a CM Quickfire with blue switches, should be here by monday!

18. Post #698
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,353 Posts
    CM Storm Quickfire series boards are very nice, I love my Cherry Red one.
    I had a CM storm mouse. Great build quality even though it was ugly as fuck and was choc full of gaming features.

Surprised me actually, I would trust to make a nice keyboard as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

19. Post #699
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    God I wish I had the money for a new keyboard, I'm using a 10 year old Gateway beige board.

20. Post #700
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    God I wish I had the money for a new keyboard, I'm using a 10 year old Gateway beige board.
    Got my mechanical for $0,07, that's how much solder I used to fix an old Cherry G80-3000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

21. Post #701
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    Got my mechanical for $0,07, that's how much solder I used to fix an old Cherry G80-3000.
    I live in a pretty conservative town in which people usually just throw away old electronics when they replace them, our Craigslist is horrible :/

22. Post #702
    Anyone know if the Thermaltake eSports Challenger is any good? (it's covered in ricer shit but it's pretty much the only mechanical they sell around here) also it's MX Black, will it be noisy or tactile?
    I'm between that ($85) and a normal, no backlight Blackwidow ($148)

I live in a pretty conservative town in which people usually just throw away old electronics when they replace them, our Craigslist is horrible :/
    Dumpster dive/ask in repair shops? That's how I got my Model M.

23. Post #703
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,536 Posts
    Anyone know if the Thermaltake eSports Challenger is any good? (it's covered in ricer shit but it's pretty much the only mechanical they sell around here) also it's MX Black, will it be noisy or tactile?
    I'm between that ($85) and a normal, no backlight Blackwidow ($148)

Dumpster dive/ask in repair shops? That's how I got my Model M.
    It will be neither tactile or Clicky, and I would personally not recommend it for $85 there are better options.

24. Post #704
    There aren't better options in my country and I have no idea what the shipping would cost or how much it would take from another country
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #705
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,536 Posts
    There aren't better options in my country and I have no idea what the shipping would cost or how much it would take from another country
    Alright, to tell you the truth I think you would be better off sticking with your Model M.

Also I don't believe the Challenger is a Mechanical Keyboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #706
    My model M is broken, rip, it was a good keyboard.

...and then it turns out the Challenger isn't, goddammit.
    I still really want a mechanical, so Blackwidow it is, I guess. I'm gonna save the money, and buy that thing. Offer for anyone who can send me a keyboard from the US is still up.

27. Post #707
    Fuck Your Life
    Dennab
    July 2011
    2,186 Posts
    What country are you from
    My black widow was like, $89 AUD..

but Black Widow standard is certainly better than the Ultimate.
    Simply for price to shit you get ratio

28. Post #708
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,009 Posts
    My model M is broken, rip, it was a good keyboard.

...and then it turns out the Challenger isn't, goddammit.
    I still really want a mechanical, so Blackwidow it is, I guess. I'm gonna save the money, and buy that thing. Offer for anyone who can send me a keyboard from the US is still up.
    how's it broken? Keyboards are pretty simple devices.

29. Post #709
    I spilled coffee on it and it leaked through to the PCB which I can't access unless I manually chop every single dot of molten plastic off the steel backing of the thing. The keys A, S, Z and X no longer work.

Edited:

What country are you from
    My black widow was like, $89 AUD..

but Black Widow standard is certainly better than the Ultimate.
    Simply for price to shit you get ratio
    I'm in Argentina, and the cheapest I can find is $148 US Dollars for a standard Blackwidow.

30. Post #710
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,009 Posts
    Wash it, throw it in a dish washer or something. Keys don't just break. If the others are working, it's likely fine and something's just breaking contact on those keys, or shorting out with those keys. AFAIK you can open buckling springs up, too. If you're just done with it, you should send it to me.

31. Post #711
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    If a model M is hitting the dirt, I need a replacement spacebar, numpad - keycap and preferably a new top case half, just saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

32. Post #712

April 2011
    4,514 Posts
    If a model M is hitting the dirt, I need a replacement spacebar, numpad - keycap and preferably a new top case half, just saying.
    iirc Unicomp sell them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #713
    August 2011
    651 Posts
    For my first mechanical keyboard I'm thinking about ordering a Ozone Strike with MX blacks as it seems to be one of the cheapest with good reviews. My only other option seems to be getting a Razer Blackwidow Expert at a local store and that comes with MX blue keyswitches which I personally can't stand the sound of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events

34. Post #714

April 2011
    4,514 Posts
    For my first mechanical keyboard I'm thinking about ordering a Ozone Strike with MX blacks as it seems to be one of the cheapest with good reviews. My only other option seems to be getting a Razer Blackwidow Expert at a local store and that comes with MX blue keyswitches which I personally can't stand the sound of.
    Why not get a WASD or Filco instead. WASD come with THE best custom keycap sets going and Filco's are made out of some sort of tank armour, they're that well built that you could probably lamp someone with one and they'd come off worse than the board.

Edited:

Or a Ducky shine if you want a backlight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #715
    who the hell wants or needs a backlight

I just don't understand that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #716

April 2011
    4,514 Posts

Sometimes they look nice when they're done right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #717
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    My CM Quickfire came in today, blue switches. Damn does this feel awesome on my fingers.

38. Post #718
    April 2011
    3,175 Posts

sometimes my monitor blinds me even in a well lit room and the brightness on 5. I look down and the letters take a second to show up and have a glare. That would be resolved having a backlit keyboard

39. Post #719
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    sometimes my monitor blinds me even in a well lit room and the brightness on 5. I look down and the letters take a second to show up and have a glare. That would be resolved having a backlit keyboard
    You should probably reduce the brightness of your monitor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #720
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    You should probably reduce the brightness of your monitor.
    or (not to be a dick, but) memorise the layout of your keyboard better. You should pretty much be able to work out what keys you're on based on the way the keyboard feels.

Sure, look down every so often to work out where your hands are on the board but it shouldn't be to find out which key letters your fingers are above.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events