1. Post #121
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    Is there any specific term I should try searching for on eBay? I find myself bottoming out keys frequently (Probably because I get used to my laptop's keyboard).
    http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.p...dampeners.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    Pretty much decided on buying the Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate Silent edition, it's just a matter now of shopping around to try and find the cheapest price. Right now it's looking like $156.20 AUD, unless the education discount + getting a friend to reship is any cheaper... but it's going to be a lot more effort so probably not worth it.

Or he could not type like a ham-fisted ape.
    All I can think of is an ape with pigs for hands going absolutely spastic and hitting keyboard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

3. Post #123
    January 2012
    25 Posts
    Pretty much decided on buying the Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate Silent edition, it's just a matter now of shopping around to try and find the cheapest price. Right now it's looking like $156.20 AUD, unless the education discount + getting a friend to reship is any cheaper... but it's going to be a lot more effort so probably not worth it.
    How about something such as Shipito?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    How about something such as Shipito?
    Nice suggestion, I haven't heard of those guys before. But I don't think so - apart from the fact their site barely loads for me, their calculator says they would be charging $23 for shipping, and it'd take anything up to 40 business days to get to me. That ends up being more expensive than buying from the australian store. Plus, the australian store can get it to me in 2 business days, so I think my current plan is pretty much set.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Is there any specific term I should try searching for on eBay? I find myself bottoming out keys frequently (Probably because I get used to my laptop's keyboard).
    Elitekeyboards calls them landing pads.
    http://elitekeyboards.com/products.p...=access,slpads

WASD calls them dampeners.

Infact you can probably go to a hobby shop or something and pick up a pack of o-rings that could accomplish the same thing for cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

6. Post #126

April 2011
    4,518 Posts
    Elitekeyboards calls them landing pads.
    http://elitekeyboards.com/products.p...=access,slpads

WASD calls them dampeners.

Infact you can probably go to a hobby shop or something and pick up a pack of o-rings that could accomplish the same thing for cheap.
    Except if they don't fit on the keys then you're fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Except if they don't fit on the keys then you're fucked.
    Just pop off a cherry mx key cap and take it with you. Try out a few O-Rings, I am sure you can go to a paintball store or hardware store and find some.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

8. Post #128

April 2010
    2,425 Posts
    I don't like how my headphones are blocking out most of the keyboard clicks. :(

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    Oh man, my new keyboard just arrived. Completely worth the price I paid for it, using it is an amazing tactile and audible experience and it arrived within 22 hours of ordering it. Outstanding.

(For reference, this is a Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate Silent)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,920 Posts
    I used to have one at work.

Then we moved offices and for some reason they didn't let us keep keyboards. All developers had one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,466 Posts
    If I win this programming competition at school, I could get a 100 bucks, and was thinking I could get a mechanical keyboard with that money. I was thinking the steelseries 6gv2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #133
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    What's that website that do Black Model Ms or similar? Just got $200 to spend on a keyboard, any recommendations? A massive fan of the Model M black look.

14. Post #134

April 2011
    4,518 Posts
    What's the site that sells Model M's and AT101W's for $10 each or something?

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,536 Posts
    What's that website that do Black Model Ms or similar? Just got $200 to spend on a keyboard, any recommendations? A massive fan of the Model M black look.
    Unicomp is as close as you are going to get.

16. Post #136
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Unicomp is as close as you are going to get.
    I think that's the one, what do you think of the black ultra classic? It'd be $130 with shipping to the UK, worth it?
    For any recommendations, I just want it to be black and as fun to type on as possible (sound is not an issue as much as my friends would argue when using VOIP).
    The DasKeyboard S is another I'm looking at but it seems a little pricey for what you get ($200 in the UK).

17. Post #137
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    I think that's the one, what do you think of the black ultra classic? It'd be $130 with shipping to the UK, worth it?
    For any recommendations, I just want it to be black and as fun to type on as possible (sound is not an issue as much as my friends would argue when using VOIP).
    The DasKeyboard S is another I'm looking at but it seems a little pricey for what you get ($200 in the UK).
    Get the Unicomp. The Das loves to get smudge marks and be in it's weird uneven casing for whatever their reasons.

18. Post #138

June 2011
    492 Posts
    Get the Unicomp. The Das loves to get smudge marks and be in it's weird uneven casing for whatever their reasons.
    Am I a noob for getting a blackwidow ultimate? ( Sale @ bestbuy + gift cards + 2 year black tie protection, = whenever i get my keyboard dirty / break the keys means i get a free fresh in the box keyboard. Awesome eh? )

19. Post #139

April 2011
    4,518 Posts
    Am I a noob for getting a blackwidow ultimate? ( Sale @ bestbuy + gift cards + 2 year black tie protection, = whenever i get my keyboard dirty / break the keys means i get a free fresh in the box keyboard. Awesome eh? )
    Why would you get the Blackwidow Ultimate? For that price you can get far better keyboards.

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,253 Posts
    My 6Gv2 just arrived, works fine with USB, but won't work at all with the ps/2 adapter, anyone know why?

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    My 6Gv2 just arrived, works fine with USB, but won't work at all with the ps/2 adapter, anyone know why?
    are you restarting after plugging it in
    PS/2 is not plug and play
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    NCIX has an awesome deal on a CMStorm Quickfire Rapid for $65/free ship. This is for cherry blues mind you, if you want the red version of this keyboard then you'll have to go to the CoolerMaster store.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=670...R&promoid=1029
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

23. Post #143
    December 2011
    35 Posts
    i've been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard for awhile now, and before i've always had rubber dome but I didn't think the change would be that hard to get used to. At first, I saw the Das Keyboard and I wanted one pretty bad, but then a friend recommended a Thermaltake Meka G1, and I trusted their judgement and it had black switches which is what I was looking for, so I thought, i'll buy one of those. Then I saw,

Even I find it difficult to type "normally" after using a rubber dome and then trying the MX blacks, overall it's still a very clunky and loud keyboard.
    And I thought so myself well, this will be my first mechanical keyboard and I don't know what they feel like to type on, and I didn't want that much resistance. So I then thought about getting a Cosair K90 as it has Red's which to my knowledge are basically easier to press blacks. So, at the minute I'm pretty set on buying the K90, but I was also set on buying the G1 until I saw that post. I don't want to spend about 100, just to regret it later. So, what do you suggest I do? Should I go with the K90 and reds, or do I go with the G1 with blacks? I mainly play FPS games but I type a load of shit for school too, so I'm pretty undecided. Wat do?

24. Post #144
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,920 Posts
    Mechanicals take adjusting to.

But once you do, they're amazing to use and rubberdomes will feel awful in comparison.

My fingers get tired typing on my rubberdome in my office, it's awful.

25. Post #145

January 2012
    32 Posts
    Just found a model M my neighbors are throwing out, its missing the cable though, should I try to find it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

26. Post #146
    October 2008
    2,419 Posts
    i've been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard for awhile now, and before i've always had rubber dome but I didn't think the change would be that hard to get used to. At first, I saw the Das Keyboard and I wanted one pretty bad, but then a friend recommended a Thermaltake Meka G1, and I trusted their judgement and it had black switches which is what I was looking for, so I thought, i'll buy one of those. Then I saw,

And I thought so myself well, this will be my first mechanical keyboard and I don't know what they feel like to type on, and I didn't want that much resistance. So I then thought about getting a Cosair K90 as it has Red's which to my knowledge are basically easier to press blacks. So, at the minute I'm pretty set on buying the K90, but I was also set on buying the G1 until I saw that post. I don't want to spend about 100, just to regret it later. So, what do you suggest I do? Should I go with the K90 and reds, or do I go with the G1 with blacks? I mainly play FPS games but I type a load of shit for school too, so I'm pretty undecided. Wat do?
    Not to long ago I got a K90 as my first mechanical keyboard and I didn't find it very hard to transition; I found the keys to be a lot easier to press (over rubber domes), the resistance while pressing the key was even (which I find really nice), and the point at which the key registers as being pressed much higher (so you don't need to press down as far, although I still do as a force of habit). The only issue I really had was getting used to not applying so much pressure where I rest my hands as it doesn't take that much to "press" a key; but I had adapted after a few days for the most part. The mechanical keys are noticeable louder than rubber domes, but with headphones I can barley hear them and even without headphones they don't make a massive amount of noise.

Personally, I'm pleased with my K90 as it provided a lot of features I wanted (back-lighting, dedicated media keys, macro keys) and seems to be rather well built (but only time will tell). I still do wonder if perhaps a different type of mechanical key would have suited me better, but I'm not going to dwell on it.

27. Post #147
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    Just found a model M my neighbors are throwing out, its missing the cable though, should I try to find it?
    Yep, if you can't find it I'm sure replacements are cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,536 Posts
    Ill sell you a cable, PM me if you are interested.

Yep, if you can't find it I'm sure replacements are cheap.
    They are more expensive then you think.

29. Post #149
    December 2011
    35 Posts
    Mechanicals take adjusting to.

But once you do, they're amazing to use and rubberdomes will feel awful in comparison.

My fingers get tired typing on my rubberdome in my office, it's awful.
    So what do you think? Should I just go ahead and get the K90 with reds, or should I go for either the Das with blacks or the Meka G1 with blacks?

30. Post #150
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    das makes an mx black version?

get the k90

31. Post #151
    December 2011
    35 Posts
    das makes an mx black version?

get the k90
    hmm, I thought they did, maybe I'm mistaken and it's browns, but I don't think I am.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Why isn't there a Keyboard with Cherry MX blue or buckling springs with nordic keyboard layout ( ) and dedicated media keys?
    Been hunting for one for quite some time now, and I just can't find any.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    478 Posts
    I have this one:

Levetron Mech4, it's pretty sweet. It has cherry black switches and I personally enjoy the shear size of the thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 14Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    The last page sums up the threads opinion on that particular board.

lol

35. Post #155

April 2011
    4,518 Posts
    I have this one:

Levetron Mech4, it's pretty sweet. It has cherry black switches and I personally enjoy the shear size of the thing.
    More rice than a chinese takeaway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Looks better suited sitting at the control panel of the Nostromo than at a computer desk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #157
    I <3 Olivia Wilde
    December 2005
    851 Posts
    funny thing is without all the shit on the sides it looks like a shitty dell keyboard

38. Post #158
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    What's the best mechanical money can buy without paying for brand?

39. Post #159
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    What's the best mechanical money can buy without paying for brand?
    just get this http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=670...R&promoid=1029

Edited:

100 is usually the minimum for a mechanical KB

40. Post #160
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I sort of meant, the best before the feel/sound/build quality of the keyboard doesn't get any better and you're only paying for looks, brand and rice. Das for example, feels like I'm paying for brand.
    Like the customizer for example, is there any better sound/feel than a buckling spring mechanical?