February 2009
    9,992 Posts
    Guys Canon got new lenses out.

First out is 24-70 f/2.8 II USM:

- Shorter
    - Improved optics
    - Filter size 82mm instead of 77mm
    - Zoom lock at 24mm to prevent creep
    - Now without the awesome reversed zoom function with the fancy lens hood.
    - Expensive as fuck

Then there's 24mm f/2.8 and 28mm f/2.8:

- Image stabilization! (First in the world on wide angle primes)
    - Redesigned optics (Now has aspherical elements)

They're also expensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree x 1Winner x 1Late x 1Funny x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    IS is nice, i wish my 16mm had IS ;(
    but the new 24-70 sounds great, glad to see they got rid of the reverse zoom thing, and a good 24mm prime is great for crop bodies.
    but why they didn't make a 30mm f1.8 or a 35mm 1.8 confuses me. they are losing so many sales to sigma from that lack of focal length, and it's a size sony and nikon have at VERY reasonable prices. Canon only has the 35mm f2, and it's mad expensive because it's not made for crop bodies. With their 7D i'm really surprised they don't have a 30mm (or 35mm) f1.8 and they didn't announce one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #43
    July 2007
    578 Posts
    Too bad they're so expensive:

Available April 2012
    EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM $2299/€2299

Available June 2012
    EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM $849/€829
    EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM $799/€799

Yeah man, 1 dollar is 1 euro... Ehm no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    9,992 Posts
    but the new 24-70 sounds great, glad to see they got rid of the reverse zoom thing
    Why? That was a great feature.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    736 Posts
    Do want!

Price... do not want
    D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #46
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    9,992 Posts
    I imagine those primes with IS on them are awesome for filming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...olling-review/
    mmm do want

but not as much as i just want a 35mm f1.4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #48
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    24,539 Posts
    hngggggggg

Motorbikes and babies, god damn.
    awwww man, I knew all the places that guy drove through, it's all along the miracle mile in chicago, I walked past most of it a few weeks ago

must've been a hefty request to get the city to re-route traffic, even in the dead hours of the morning cars are thick in that area.

9. Post #49
    January 2008
    1,836 Posts
    Fixed the jamming problem my new C3 was having! Now I just need the glue and it all goes back together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

10. Post #50
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    Too bad they're so expensive:

Available April 2012
    EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM $2299/€2299

Available June 2012
    EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM $849/€829
    EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM $799/€799

Yeah man, 1 dollar is 1 euro... Ehm no.
    I wonder how much these lens would be around here in brazil.

Maybe Something around R$ 3500,00 ( In dolars it goes around $1700,00)
    Love our economy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    okay i've been trying to figure this out all day
    why are rangefinder lenses so small but SLR lenses are so big
    i know autofocus is one of the reasons, but contax G lenses are like the smallest lenses ever and have AF. i want a 35mm zeiss contax sooooo badddd

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Guys Canon got new lenses out.

First out is 24-70 f/2.8 II USM:

- Shorter
    - Improved optics
    - Filter size 82mm instead of 77mm
    - Zoom lock at 24mm to prevent creep
    - Now without the awesome reversed zoom function with the fancy lens hood.
    - Expensive as fuck

They're also expensive.
    And still no IS on the 24-70, something a lot of people wanted to be on the new version. It's something the 24-105 has, but it lacks the f2.8 aperture
    Not that I care, because these lenses are expensive as fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    I wonder how much these lens would be around here in brazil.

Maybe Something around R$ 3500,00 ( In dolars it goes around $1700,00)
    Love our economy.
    That's because Brazil is still mired in the 70s/80s idea of import substitution industrialization. It was designed to protect the domestic market and spur economic growth, so they heavily tax imports. Turns out it was a massive failure, and that's why Brazil only started rapidly growing in the 90s after Cardoso opened Brazilian markets to foreign goods.

The only problem is that all strictly imported products still have the 75% import tax. So besides having the conversion rate of almost 1 to 2 on foreign goods, you still have to apply the tax (after converting).

It's why shit in Brazil is so ridiculously expensive it literally makes it impossible to buy anything there.

14. Post #54
    November 2008
    1,182 Posts
    Should I get a 50mm f/1.4 before a 35mm f/2 or something similar?

15. Post #55
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    Should I get a 50mm f/1.4 before a 35mm f/2 or something similar?
    if you want more bokeh then the 50 would be better, if you want a 50mm equiv the 35mm would be better. many people consider a 50mm lens too tight on a crop body.

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,452 Posts
    So, I'm in my schools tv production class. We're crazy good at fund-raising, and over the years have gotten quite a collection of lenses. Now I'm new to the whole thing, but we have a large heavy lens that's a tannish yellow. I believe it's Nikon and made for taking photos from a distance. As an equipment manager I'm able to check out these lenses for after school use. Any suggestions on how I should use it? I live in a pretty flat area.

We also have a tilt shift lens which I plan to use for a time lapse(going to watch one of the parking lots fill up before school starts, from the roof).

Please don't think of me as "that guy". I just access to the equipment.

17. Post #57
    November 2008
    1,182 Posts
    if you want more bokeh then the 50 would be better, if you want a 50mm equiv the 35mm would be better. many people consider a 50mm lens too tight on a crop body.
    Well. I'm use my camera a lot for video, and although the bokeh is nice, the 50mm looks quite hard to stay focused on a moving subject. (at a low f/stop) Also, I guess I have to look into is if it's worth the extra stops (50mm f/1.4 vs 35mm f/2) I don't really know.

Edited:

Maybe I can go with the cheaper 50mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/2?

18. Post #58
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    Well. I'm use my camera a lot for video, and although the bokeh is nice, the 50mm looks quite hard to stay focused on a moving subject. (at a low f/stop) Also, I guess I have to look into is if it's worth the extra stops (50mm f/1.4 vs 35mm f/2) I don't really know. Maybe I'll get

Edited:
    well if you don't plan on going FF the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is always an option, and a great one at that.
    Maybe I can go with the cheaper 50mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/2?
    Edited:

So, I'm in my schools tv production class. We're crazy good at fund-raising, and over the years have gotten quite a collection of lenses. Now I'm new to the whole thing, but we have a large heavy lens that's a tannish yellow. I believe it's Nikon and made for taking photos from a distance. As an equipment manager I'm able to check out these lenses for after school use. Any suggestions on how I should use it? I live in a pretty flat area.

We also have a tilt shift lens which I plan to use for a time lapse(going to watch one of the parking lots fill up before school starts, from the roof).

it sounds like a telephoto, which is mostly for sports and wildlife, somewhere where you can't really get close. They are also good for portraits as they can isolate the subject well, you'll just be really far away from them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    November 2008
    1,182 Posts
    well if you don't plan on going FF the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is always an option, and a great one at that.
    Edited:
    FF?

20. Post #60
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    Full frame. like if you don't plan on getting a 1D or a 5D then i'd get the sigma. but the sigma won't work properly on those cameras because it wouldn't cover the larger sensor.

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    834 Posts
    Full Frame, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is an EF-S mount only lens.

Edited:

ninja'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,549 Posts
    Kinda want to consider ditching my D3100 and getting my friend's D90 that he is selling for fairly cheap. I barely use my D3100 for video, which really seems like it's the only "better" function of the d3100. The d90 does video, just not 1080 (I shoot in 720 30fps anyways, so it wouldn't be a huge difference)

The d90 just seems like a much more solidly built camera and more flexible for expansion. Any thoughts?

23. Post #63
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    I love my D90. Great machine.

If you don't use video then the D90 is better since regular AF lenses (not AF-S) will autofocus since the D90 has the built in motor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    That's because Brazil is still mired in the 70s/80s idea of import substitution industrialization. It was designed to protect the domestic market and spur economic growth, so they heavily tax imports. Turns out it was a massive failure, and that's why Brazil only started rapidly growing in the 90s after Cardoso opened Brazilian markets to foreign goods.

The only problem is that all strictly imported products still have the 75% import tax. So besides having the conversion rate of almost 1 to 2 on foreign goods, you still have to apply the tax (after converting).

It's why shit in Brazil is so ridiculously expensive it literally makes it impossible to buy anything there.
    Exactly that.

So, anyone who need anything expensive,

Guitars, Cameras, Lenses,

Just go to miami,

There you can buy anything you need in a good price,
    Have a nive trip,

and pay the same thing (including the airplane ticket, hotels etc) you would pay around here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,836 Posts
    Why the fuck does my macbook play sounds of a motorbike + music when I'm in this thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #66
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Why the fuck does my macbook play sounds of a motorbike + music when I'm in this thread?
    this

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Kinda want to consider ditching my D3100 and getting my friend's D90 that he is selling for fairly cheap. I barely use my D3100 for video, which really seems like it's the only "better" function of the d3100. The d90 does video, just not 1080 (I shoot in 720 30fps anyways, so it wouldn't be a huge difference)

The d90 just seems like a much more solidly built camera and more flexible for expansion. Any thoughts?
    Any opinions on the D3100? I'm about to buy one.
    Strong points, weak ones, is the kit lens good, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events

28. Post #68
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    kit lens is adequate to get you started off

really, go to a shop. try out the comparible models (canon 550D/t2i, the d3100, the d90, the pentax k-r) and all that and choose what feels best, becuase you're gonna get comparable quality out them all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    I've tried out the D3100, it felt fucking ergonomic as hell, and it's the only entry-level DSLR I can get for a decent price around here.
    I'm also a Nikon fan for some reason even I don't know. Canon cameras just don't feel as good to use.

30. Post #70
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    if you looked at the 1100D i don't blame you, that thing is fucking abysmal

Edited:

i own a 600D though and tbh, it's pretty good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    I've tried out the D3100, it felt fucking ergonomic as hell, and it's the only entry-level DSLR I can get for a decent price around here.
    I'm also a Nikon fan for some reason even I don't know. Canon cameras just don't feel as good to use.
    what feels good in the hands is more important than small differences in image quality, because unless you are doing direct comparisons you are unlikely to notice a difference. entry level DSLR's are capable of producing astounding images if you know what you're doing, and nice glass always helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    September 2011
    225 Posts
    Just got my Konica Autoreflex T

(To the left)

For aprox. $50
    I love it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    what feels good in the hands is more important than small differences in image quality, because unless you are doing direct comparisons you are unlikely to notice a difference. entry level DSLR's are capable of producing astounding images if you know what you're doing, and nice glass always helps.
    I won't be able to actually get more "glass" (lolphotographerspeak) until like, next year or so, and that's why I wanted to know if the lens that comes with it is any good.
    How much is the improvement of close-up filters on a lens like the kit d3100 one? I love macro photography, but macro lenses are insane expensive.

And, yeah, it just feels great in my hands. All the buttons are in the right places, imo.

34. Post #74
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    I won't be able to actually get more "glass" (lolphotographerspeak) until like, next year or so, and that's why I wanted to know if the lens that comes with it is any good.
    How much is the improvement of close-up filters on a lens like the kit d3100 one? I love macro photography, but macro lenses are insane expensive.

And, yeah, it just feels great in my hands. All the buttons are in the right places, imo.
    pretty much all kits come with the same lens, and i think the nikon 18-55 is a very capable lens if you know how to use it. and a close up filter wouldn't cost all that much, and the lens has good macro capability anyways.
    if it feels good then get it, you won't regret it.

35. Post #75
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    24,539 Posts
    edit- sonovabitch b-hazard beat me to it in a different thread

[release][h2]How to Increase the Performance of your Canon Kit Lens[/h2]

This is your standard kit lens that comes with most entry-level DSLRs from Canon. It does an okay job for most things, but here’s how to make it better.

Here’s a list of things you’ll need:

Step 1: Use masking tape to cover up the lens around the silver ring:

Step 2: Paint the silver ring with red paint

You’re done! Enjoy your new high-def L lens. You can also add a lens hood for added effect:

Here’s a before and after comparison of how your photos will look:

[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Diamond Member
    January 2009
    8,014 Posts
    There doesnt seem to be a new 'which camera is right for me' thread. Can someone help me out with something?

I'm looking for a roughly $200 dslr for taking band pictures. So I need something capable of low-ish light, and high speed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

37. Post #77
    September 2008
    1,494 Posts
    There doesnt seem to be a new 'which camera is right for me' thread. Can someone help me out with something?

I'm looking for a roughly $200 dslr for taking band pictures. So I need something capable of low-ish light, and high speed.
    For 200$ you're going to find almost nothing, especially if you need a big apertured lens to go with it.

38. Post #78
    Diamond Member
    January 2009
    8,014 Posts
    For 200$ you're going to find almost nothing, especially if you need a big apertured lens to go with it.
    What if I bumped up to 300?

Edited:

Honestly, as soon as I get a job I'm going to buy a better camera.
    I'm just having a hard time finding a job, so it could be a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

39. Post #79
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    edit- sonovabitch b-hazard beat me to it in a different thread

[release][h2]How to Increase the Performance of your Canon Kit Lens[/h2]

This is your standard kit lens that comes with most entry-level DSLRs from Canon. It does an okay job for most things, but here’s how to make it better.

Here’s a list of things you’ll need:

Step 1: Use masking tape to cover up the lens around the silver ring:

Step 2: Paint the silver ring with red paint

You’re done! Enjoy your new high-def L lens. You can also add a lens hood for added effect:

Here’s a before and after comparison of how your photos will look:

[/release]
    Indeed these red lines makes all the freaking difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,123 Posts
    What if I bumped up to 300?

Edited:

Honestly, as soon as I get a job I'm going to buy a better camera.
    I'm just having a hard time finding a job, so it could be a while.
    even at that price it's probably a no-go. best bet would be to look for a nex 3 on craigslist, those are good at low light and are unusually cheap online because of being replaced already.