1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    Id love to be able to shoot HD video with with a DSLR (for the optics)
    Its really time to upgrade from this old XT body. Im thinking of getting a used T1i from B&H
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #122
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts

my how far we've come
    there's a 5D hiding in there somewhere

Edited:

Id love to be able to shoot HD video with with a DSLR (for the optics)
    Its really time to upgrade from this old XT body. Im thinking of getting a used T1i from B&H
    not worth it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #123
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,209 Posts
    I highly doubt I'll ever upgrade to a FF. I love my 60d and could never leave the screen behind. And just to clarify, the smaller the focal length the wider it is right?
    yes that is what i meant, sorry i'm weird when it comes to those terms. but honestly either is a great bet, i'd take the sigma personally.

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    What would you suggest?

5. Post #125
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    save your dough and get a t2i
    much better to the 500D esp. if you want video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I can get a t3i with the kit lens for ~$640
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html
    I need to start searching around to see what else I can find.

Im thinking Ill keep the XT and modify it into an IR camera.

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    ok guys I've decided I'm getting an old M42 lens because they're so cheap and I can live with the small loss in image quality. I've narrowed it down to these two:

Pentacon 50mm ƒ1.8
    Helios 44-2 58mm ƒ2.0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-PENTA...item53eb792a5b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Helios-44-...item2ebb2dba18

They are both similarly priced, the Helios is likely to arrive in 2 days but the Pentacon will probably come in about 4...

Which should I get?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #128
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,209 Posts
    helios is better than pentacon but takumar is by far the best m42 glass you can get for the price.

Edited:

ESPECIALLY their SMC line of lenses. that's what i would suggest by far.

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    helios is better than pentacon but takumar is by far the best m42 glass you can get for the price.

Edited:

ESPECIALLY their SMC line of lenses. that's what i would suggest by far.
    thanks for the reply,

unfortunately the Takumar's seem to be about 40 minimum so I'll probably go with the Helios :(

thanks though, I'll keep it in mind for my next lens

Edited:

damn just found out that the Helios can only focus to about 15m even with the right adapter because it's rather large

how much better is it than the pentacon?

thanks

10. Post #130
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,209 Posts
    well pentacon is probably alright, but it won't be as good as takumar. i'd save up for one of those, they are regarded up there with leica on image quality

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    well pentacon is probably alright, but it won't be as good as takumar. i'd save up for one of those, they are regarded up there with leica on image quality
    I don't know anymore :( I'm not sure whether I'll use it enough to justify the price tag but they're both well in my budget

I do have an old Asahi SMC Pentax-M ƒ1.7 K mount lens, but the adapter for that to get it to work on my D3100 costs about 20. Do you think that would be significantly better than the Pentacon?

Thanks again for all your help

12. Post #132
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,209 Posts
    i think the asashi lens will be better, pentax is a great lens company. it would be better enough than the pentacon, but why are you adapting glass to your d3100? it'll have a glass adapter so it won't be great anyways. just keep your eyes open for an old nikon 50mm lens on craigslist, pawnshops, and goodwill type stores. i found a 50mm AI-s lens once for $10 and it was in great condition, my friend loves it on his nikon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    i think the asashi lens will be better, pentax is a great lens company. it would be better enough than the pentacon, but why are you adapting glass to your d3100? it'll have a glass adapter so it won't be great anyways. just keep your eyes open for an old nikon 50mm lens on craigslist, pawnshops, and goodwill type stores. i found a 50mm AI-s lens once for $10 and it was in great condition, my friend loves it on his nikon.
    I guess I was just being impatient, I'll wait a bit longer and look for a nikon then

14. Post #134
    July 2007
    638 Posts
    I guess I was just being impatient, I'll wait a bit longer and look for a nikon then

Wise decision.
    I would be almost sure that you would've been dissapointed with the image quality of those m42 lenses because the adapter makes them so soft and such.
    Just get a good deal for a nikon 50mm 1.8 lens or so, best option you have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    October 2010
    2,100 Posts
    Hey, do guys think the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G is good for $154?
    the iphone alone is amazing when you think about it
    Or any smartphone nowadays, love my Samsung Galaxy S.
    Hell, we have phones with 12 Megapixel cameras nowadays.

Talking about cameraphones...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #136

my how far we've come
    It looks like some sorta life support machine for the phone
    Or the camera
    "kill me it hurts to live"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts
    I'm picking up a photography course at a college so that I can expand my portfolio before entering university to do a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Film and Television), which needs a photography portfolio for entry.

About 50% of the photography course is self developed black and white film based, and so I'm looking for a film camera.

Is there anything wrong with an EOS 3 for around $250 - $300 off ebay? I can't find any other places that sell it from a quick search. I presume I will be able to use my Canon 50mm f1.4 comfortably on it.

I love the idea of infrared photography, and I'm aware of the fogging problems with the body, but I can surely borrow an old pentax 1000 or something to do that with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

18. Post #138
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,451 Posts
    The 50 1.4 is actually 5 years older than the EOS 3 and was designed specifically for 35mm EOS cameras, it will be a more-than-comfortable combo. Along with all the fancy electronic luxuries, it's nice to have one set of lenses.

Problem is that you won't get the experience/satisfaction that you would 'roughing it' with a manual 35mm. With an old manual body, you could also score a ton of gear and film for less than $300. You could even break into some decent 120 gear with that budget.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    I feel you on that.

I resisted going digital for a long time and now that Ive been 99% digital for the past 5 years I cant even describe how much Im longing to shoot some film.
    At this point Im probably going to just start shooting 120 B+W and developing it myself. I wont be able to make prints myself, but it'll still be worth it.

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts
    The 50 1.4 is actually 5 years older than the EOS 3 and was designed specifically for 35mm EOS cameras, it will be a more-than-comfortable combo. Along with all the fancy electronic luxuries, it's nice to have one set of lenses.

Problem is that you won't get the experience/satisfaction that you would 'roughing it' with a manual 35mm. With an old manual body, you could also score a ton of gear and film for less than $300. You could even break into some decent 120 gear with that budget.
    My dad has a Fujica ST605 with a Fujinon 55mm f2.2 and a Tamron 28mm f2.8. All in good condition, I just got a new set of batteries for the light meter, with a good cleaning it should be useful.

I don't suppose Canon does anything in the 120 range? I'd rather not have to buy new glass.

If I go medium format way, what kind of gear will I need?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #141
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Was looking into getting the Sigma 30mm 1.4 but this guys thinks I should go with the Canon 28mm 1.8. http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/30mm-f14.htm
    Thoughts? Keep in mind I'm using a 60d (more for video now a-days)
    If the 28mm doesn't have ugly as sin bokeh go for it, otherwise the Sigma is your best bet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    My dad has a Fujica ST605 with a Fujinon 55mm f2.2 and a Tamron 28mm f2.8. All in good condition, I just got a new set of batteries for the light meter, with a good cleaning it should be useful.

I don't suppose Canon does anything in the 120 range? I'd rather not have to buy new glass.

If I go medium format way, what kind of gear will I need?
    no canon doesn't do Medium format. Even if they did the lenses you have are made for 35mm and wouldn't be compatible in the slightest.

As for medium format gear, it's more of a question of what do you want, not what do you need. The basic camera types would be TLR, SLR, Rangefinder & Folder... look those up and then I can give you specific answer based on what type you're looking at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    December 2008
    1,664 Posts
    Why are 50mm lenses still so popular on APS-C cameras? The equivalent angle of coverage that everyone thinks they're emulating from film days would be from a 31.3mm lens (assuming 1.6x crop factor), yet Sigma is the only manufacturer out there with a 30mm lens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,666 Posts
    Why are 50mm lenses still so popular on APS-C cameras? The equivalent angle of coverage that everyone thinks they're emulating from film days would be from a 31.3mm lens (assuming 1.6x crop factor), yet Sigma is the only manufacturer out there with a 30mm lens.
    People buy them because they're fast and cheap, not because "they're emulating from film days".

You could also say, by your logic, that people buying 50mm lenses with crop cameras are emulating the 85mm lenses from film days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #145
    December 2008
    1,664 Posts
    People buy them because they're fast and cheap, not because "they're emulating from film days".

You could also say. by your logic, that people buying 50mm lenses with crop cameras are emulating the 85mm lenses from film days.
    Oh okay so they're typically simple and affordable. Just seems weird since prime lenses by nature aren't overly complex, I wonder why there aren't more primes in the 30mm range. Cost of manufacture most go up too much, and I guess there are prime 28mm lenses just below that range, almost 50mm but with more angle of coverage.

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    834 Posts
    Oh okay so they're typically simple and affordable. Just seems weird since prime lenses by nature aren't overly complex, I wonder why there aren't more primes in the 30mm range. Cost of manufacture most go up too much, and I guess there are prime 28mm lenses just below that range, almost 50mm but with more angle of coverage.
    Lens makers make plenty of primes in the 30mm range. Canon and Nikon have 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm prime lenses. Sigma has 24mm, 28mm, and 30mm prime lenses. There's plenty of lenses in the 30mm range and they can cost well over a thousand dollars.

27. Post #147
    July 2007
    638 Posts
    The 50mm lenses are very easy to make, but wideangle like 24 to 35mm are somewhat harder to make because they make use of the retrofocus design.
    That's a design that is more expensive for manufacturers to build.
    I can't explain it very well, but there's a reason why the 50mm is so cheap and the wideangle lenses are not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts

You could also say, by your logic, that people buying 50mm lenses with crop cameras are emulating the 85mm lenses from film days.
    I do love my 50 more for portraits than general view shooting. My 35 1.8 is perfect for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,666 Posts
    I do love my 50 more for portraits than general view shooting. My 35 1.8 is perfect for that.
    Me too.

30. Post #150
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts
    an example from the 35 (@f/4) on my d7000 (crop x1.52)

cropped in a bit on one side but you get the picture

31. Post #151
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    Debating between these 3 sellers.

This one is a bit pricey but everything seems okay.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-F-1-35m...item564867f5fc

Seems okay but too cheap to be true.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-F-1-Cam...item4cfe79c0e5

Price is in the middle of both but the dent on the top really throws me off.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-F1-35mm...item4600a5fa21

Which one do you guys think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

32. Post #152
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    Dents are bad often mean theres more problems, the cheap one I think is cheap because the motor drive doesn't work and the one thats a bit pricey seems to be fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    834 Posts
    My teacher is letting me borrow his father's Hasselblad to use for the rest of the year.

Hasselblad EL/M by John Gramza, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    February 2006
    555 Posts
    I've got a couple of questions. First, I've got a Nikon D3100 but only a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. It's a great lens and all, but I need something that I can get a bit closer with. I was thinking about the 35mm f/1.8G as it's not terribly expensive, but I know shit about lenses so I was wondering what you all think. Is 35mm a wide enough step, and is the lens of good value?

Second, I've found an old Afga Ventura 66 for $50 near me. It's in pretty good condition for an old folding camera. How hard will it be to find film, and how hard will it be to have it developed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    I've got a couple of questions. First, I've got a Nikon D3100 but only a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. It's a great lens and all, but I need something that I can get a bit closer with. I was thinking about the 35mm f/1.8G as it's not terribly expensive, but I know shit about lenses so I was wondering what you all think. Is 35mm a wide enough step, and is the lens of good value?

Second, I've found an old Afga Ventura 66 for $50 near me. It's in pretty good condition for an old folding camera. How hard will it be to find film, and how hard will it be to have it developed?
    the 35mm 1.8G is a great lens from what I've heard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,972 Posts
    It's been permanently attatched to my D60 since I got it in September, don't think I'll need another lens until I go full frame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    March 2011
    653 Posts

The film is still made its 120 film so that should be no problem its just really getting it developed. and as for the price I have no idea but I remember a camera stall last week selling folders for 22
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    I know I've asked about remotes a bajillion times, but I'm actually getting one now and I can't be arsed to look for the past posts. So for my Canon 60D what would be a good price for one? Wireless. Would like it to have multiple functions if possible, like time lapse? I don't really know what my options are.

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    I can vouch for it, bokeh is okay most of the time but the sharpness is superb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,972 Posts
    A word of warning to anyone interested in buying a fisheye lens...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)