1. Post #521
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,674 Posts
    BOOOHHRRRKAEEEEHH

I literally now own three 50mm 1.4s.

Thread title challenge accepted, and accomplished.
    but can you take on the final boss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #522
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    This may be useful to some of you.
    It's a negative scanner.

http://bensoutlet.com/products/kodak-4x6-scanner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #523
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    okay guys, i am trying now to make the ultimate film solution.
    so a couple weeks ago i sold my minolta 7000 with my faulty 50mm and after getting prints back, i have decided that i miss the fuck out of it because none of my other film cameras work as well as it did.

so someone on craigslist is selling a 7000 with a 28mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 (main reason i'm interested), and a 35-70mm f4 for $160. i totaled it up and ebay would run around $300
    i would also like a better body, and i'm looking at a minolta 9xi with a 50mm 1.7 for $140 on ebay (lens runs around $90 and body for $60 separate, so good deal) because the shutter is 1/12000 and has pentaprism vs pentamirror
    so in total i'd be spending $300 which is about 2 weeks of work, but i'd get a sweet body and 4 lenses, should i take the plunge?
    i can offset the cost by selling my olympus om1n with the 50mm 1.4 for over $100 on ebay, as i believe i have a working canon body now so my manual film stuff is covered

just want to know some opinions, because after getting my roll of film back i realized this is something i want to do more, and the minolta is a better way to future proof myself as i plan to stick with sony as my digital system (backwards compatible with all minolta A lenses)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #524
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    474 Posts
    I finally managed to summon the patience to bring out nearly all the cameras and the courage to show them of!

I hope I'm not being "that guy" I feel a bit weird by showing this but on the other end I just wanted to share it with people who may appreciate this stuff.

[SUB](click to enlarge, up to 4 inc... I mean the picture)[/SUB]

From top to bottom and left to right. (highlighted stuff was bought by my dad, the other stuff was bought by me)

DIY Pinhole (exposes photo paper directly instead of a negative) Made by my dad in the early 70s.

Sigma 18mm f3.5 M42

Nikon 24-70mm f2.8

Mamiya 210mm f4 (Medium format)

Beirette Junior II 35mm film (from the 60s)

Canon 600D (I use it 95% for video) with a Pentacon 135 f2.8 M42 (I bought it used on ebay)

Polaroid Image System E (bought to replace an unfortunately lost SX-70)

Vilia Russian plastic viewfinder camera (a gift from a neighbor)

Nikon F80 with a 50mm 1.8G

Zenit E with 58mm f2 Helios

Nikon D700 with Samyang 85mm 1.4

Mamiya M645 1000s with 80mm f2.8 Waist level viewfinder and a non metered prism (got it recently I'm loving the WLF and I also got an adapter to use the lenses on my Nikon and they are super sharp)

Yashica Electro TL X with 50mm f1.4 Yashinon

Nipole flash (uses one shot bulbs)

Franka flash

Nikon SB900

2 * 5 roll boxes of Portra 400 (the new one) 120

Sekonic 248 Light meter (seems to be way off lately)

Ilford XP2 Super for 35mm

Zoom H1 (usually it sits on top of the 600D with a dead cat, not literally, meow)

This was shot with my dads (formerly my first DSLR) Canon 1000D with the 18-55mm kit (he also has got a Sigma 8-16mm for it which I didn't get in the photo).

EDIT:

so a couple weeks ago i sold my minolta 7000 with my faulty 50mm and after getting prints back, i have decided that i miss the fuck out of it because none of my other film cameras work as well as it did.

so someone on craigslist is selling a 7000 with a 28mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 (main reason i'm interested), and a 35-70mm f4 for $160. i totaled it up and ebay would run around $300
    i would also like a better body, and i'm looking at a minolta 9xi with a 50mm 1.7 for $140 on ebay (lens runs around $90 and body for $60 separate, so good deal) because the shutter is 1/12000 and has pentaprism vs pentamirror
    so in total i'd be spending $300 which is about 2 weeks of work, but i'd get a sweet body and 4 lenses, should i take the plunge?
    i can offset the cost by selling my olympus om1n with the 50mm 1.4 for over $100 on ebay, as i believe i have a working canon body now so my manual film stuff is covered

just want to know some opinions, because after getting my roll of film back i realized this is something i want to do more, and the minolta is a better way to future proof myself as i plan to stick with sony as my digital system (backwards compatible with all minolta A lenses)
    I'd go for it, especially if you like shooting with it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #525
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts

Hi, Idk what I'm doing, but I say go for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #526
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    the guy sold the minolta and all the lenses
    *cue gif of shooting self in the head*
    guess i'll buy the 9xi in the meantime though, just wait for a sweet deal on another 70-210, and buy a maxxum 7 down the road
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #527
    April 2009
    833 Posts
    Found a 28-135MM f3.5-5.6 canon lens for 250 on craiglist. kind of tempting . any thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #528
    July 2007
    641 Posts
    Found a 28-135MM f3.5-5.6 canon lens for 250 on craiglist. kind of tempting . any thoughts?
    Quite a nice lens. I have been searching for that lens as well quite some time now.
    Review: http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/fra...f28_135usm.htm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

9. Post #529
    April 2009
    833 Posts
    Just bought it. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

10. Post #530
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Am I reading this wrong, or is the Leica M9 only 450 in China?
    http://www.amazon.cn/gp/product/B007...&s=photo&psc=1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #531
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Price: 59,999.00 & eligible for free shipping why
    Temporarily out of stock,
    can be ordered now. (After the arrival, cash on delivery order, we will mail notice you; Super Saver Shipping, we will mail notification of direct sales and shipping )
    from Amazon .

12. Post #532
    So recently I was told Ken Rockwell's site is a pile of shit

Therefore I ask you, Facepunch, are there any cheap prime lenses ($250 or lower, I guess) that will allow me to take better low light pictures? I've heard wonders of the 35mm f1.8G AF-S DX.

Also, are the "alternative" lens brands any good? (Tamron, Sigma and such)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

13. Post #533
    ===
    This was a waste of $1
    December 2011
    1,564 Posts
    Ken Rockwell's site isn't a pile of shit, Ken Rockwell is a pile of shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #534
    April 2011
    49 Posts
    Am I reading this wrong, or is the Leica M9 only 450 in China?
    http://www.amazon.cn/gp/product/B007...&s=photo&psc=1
    Make that more like 6000. You converted in Japanese Yen instead of Chinese Yuan. Although a Leica M9 for 450 would have been awesome. One can always hope I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #535
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Aha I see, makes sense.

16. Post #536
    July 2007
    641 Posts
    Out goes my FD 600mm f/4.5 with 1.4x FD-EF Extender, in goes this beauty:

Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM Version I by Leevmeister, on Flickr

With no added payment, just 1 on 1 trade. Very nice deal if I do say so myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #537
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    Is IS a necessity when shooting video? Most of the wider angle (not L lens) lens don't have it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #538
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #539
    April 2011
    49 Posts
    If handheld, IS is important. Else primes, or anything with constant aperture even when zoomed, with the proper filming gear (steadicam, dolly, etc.) is usually what you'd want to go with so there is no need for IS.

Not a pro, or anything for that matter, but that's what I seemed to read on different websites. Feel free to prove me wrong, would help me as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #540
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    Okay. Just curious. On to a new question.
    Filters. Do you guys have any filters or use any regularly? Why should I use one? What are the benefits?

21. Post #541
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

22. Post #542
    Filters. Do you guys have any filters or use any regularly? Why should I use one? What are the benefits?
    I have a $4 UV filter on my lens at all times, terribly afraid of scratches and such. To be honest I have no idea if it has any ill effects on my pictures.

23. Post #543
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,455 Posts
    neutral density is the only filter with a direct use for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #544
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    So recently I was told Ken Rockwell's site is a pile of shit

Therefore I ask you, Facepunch, are there any cheap prime lenses ($250 or lower, I guess) that will allow me to take better low light pictures? I've heard wonders of the 35mm f1.8G AF-S DX.

Also, are the "alternative" lens brands any good? (Tamron, Sigma and such)
    the 35mm 1.8 is an awesome lens, and will improve your light by almost 2 full stops (4x shutter speed, though no IS so lowest shutter should be around 1/30 for static scenes). another good one is the sigma 30mm 1.4, i believe they make it in nikon mount? need to double check.

and ken rockwell knows a lot, you just have to pick through the bias. though i've learned some good things from his site.

Edited:

I have a $4 UV filter on my lens at all times, terribly afraid of scratches and such. To be honest I have no idea if it has any ill effects on my pictures.
    it does, reflects light when hit by sunlight and lowers image quality. they are only really useful on film, because that is affected by UV light. just be careful with your lens, i've never used UV filters and i've never come close to damaging my front element
    just don't be a dingus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #545
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,701 Posts
    Chromatic Aberration can be quite bad at times and the bokeh is hit or miss. Its a very sharp lens regardless and a fun one to use on crop as its closer to 50mm.

I bought a Hasselblad 500 C/M. Couldn't resist one that's in good shape and recently serviced. Should arrive in a week. That's me sorted now!
    How much did the hasselblad set you back? Did you get a metered prism with it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #546
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    474 Posts
    Is IS a necessity when shooting video? Most of the wider angle (not L lens) lens don't have it.
    The wider the angle the less you need IS.

Also as ctlilc said a tripod or dolly will definitely help or a fig-rig/shoulder rig if you want to hand hold the camera. (even though with the letter IS would still be very useful for longer focal lengths)

The only filters I'd consider are neutral density and polarizers.

UV is mostly useful for film to reduce haze, digital cameras are less sensitive to UV so they don't really need it and all you do by using one (especially a cheap one) is putting more glass in front of your lens which will probably increase fringing and will increase internal reflections. (film is less reflective than digital sensors so the internal reflections are worse on digital)

I agree with Trogdon basically.

I'd use a lens hood to protect the lens (and protect it from stray light) and just be careful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #547
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    i do retract a bit of what i say though, because i forgot that my camera hangs down on my neck (due to tiny body and larger lens), so i've never really had an opportunity to bump it into something. so i'm probably not as careful as i'd like to be, and hitting your front might be a little more common than i thought. a good hood and lens cap will do the trick though, just make sure the lens cap is on as soon as you aren't taking pictures.

28. Post #548
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Hey guys. I've looked around this particular section and I hope this is the right place to be posting this question.

I have a job in marketing at a short-term vacation rental company. I've also started work with a local non profit working with marketing and fundraising. It's time I invested in a decent point and shoot.

I'll be taking real estate pictures and pictures of fundraising events. I get paid crap at my job and don't get paid with the non profit, so I don't have much to spend. I'm looking to spend $150 max.

I was considering this http://www.woot.com/ the Kodak Easyshare Z5120, but can't find many reviews of it online.

If anyone has any kind of suggestions, please don't hesitate. Willing to purchase used as well.

29. Post #549
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    How much did the hasselblad set you back? Did you get a metered prism with it?
    700 for everything, 15 postage. No metered prism.

500 C/M body
    WLF viewfinder (not metered)
    A12 back
    80mm Planar f2.8 T* (not sure if old style or new, optically the same but old one has shutter and aperture on lens, small focus backlash issue)

700 is about the starting price for all of the above on eBay. I'm lucky to be getting a near mint one for what I paid, I'll confirm once it arrives this week.

30. Post #550
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,701 Posts
    thats a good steal. The Lens you have is an old style one if its a T lens. The new one is a CFE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #551
    Friend of mine lent me these, quite excited to try them out

50mm by Latin Geek, on Flickr

extension tubes by Latin Geek, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

32. Post #552
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,674 Posts
    that 50 1.8 E has served me well for years, I keep it on my FE most of the time now

33. Post #553
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    It's one hell of a sharp lens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

34. Post #554
    July 2007
    641 Posts
    Friend of mine lent me these, quite excited to try them out

50mm by Latin Geek, on Flickr

extension tubes by Latin Geek, on Flickr
    That's a nice little lens.
    But it looks the lens either has some fungus on it's glas or it's just a bit dirty.
    Just a headsup though because it does not affect image quality or so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #555
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts

Don't Hassel the blad by kelvinharron, on Flickr

Some scratching underneath, a bit of scratching on the metal on the crank side and the focus screen is rather dirty (but replaceable). Shutter sounds so awesome. Very happy to own this!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

36. Post #556
    That's a nice little lens.
    But it looks the lens either has some fungus on it's glas or it's just a bit dirty.
    Just a headsup though because it does not affect image quality or so.
    Yeah it was just dust on the front and back, easy to clean
    Also after fooling around with it for a bit I discovered I suck at manual focus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

37. Post #557
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    don't blame yourself, it's a difficult lens to focus. especially on an APS-C camera, the viewfinder just isn't big enough to be able to tell accurately.

38. Post #558
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    What kind of 52mm filter should I be getting for general lense protection (from dust/scratches) and the sun? I'd assume I want UV but better safe than sorry.

39. Post #559
    uh
    Like, learn what each filter does and decide if it comes in handy for you
    As stated above (or in the other thread) a UV filter on a digital camera will protect it from scratches at the cost of lower image quality

40. Post #560
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I just want it for general protection, when outside combined with a lens hood, I believe UV is the way to go.
    Would there be a considerable loss of quality or would it depend on lighting conditions and such?