1. Post #1281
    I wasted $2
    September 2011
    343 Posts
    Picked up a Canon 5mm EF 1.8 II today for 30! I'm loving the prime! What are you experiences with primes?, particularly this lens?

Here are some pictures taken with the lens:

IMG_1778 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

IMG_1799 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

IMG_1792 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

IMG_1746 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

IMG_1722 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

IMG_1720 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

IMG_1745 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

IMG_1747 by ForceGhost, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #1282
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    Not the greatest of 50's, but it's a prime nonetheless. Primes in my opinion are the greatest thing to hit the world of photography, not only can they deliver amazing optical quality but they force you to really think about what you're putting in your frame. I always keep my 35mm 1.8 on my camera and I'm actually thinking of buying a 50mm 1.4 or an 85mm 1.4.

Be careful for chromatic abberation at max aperture, keep your eye out on high contrast images, especially to the corners of your images.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

3. Post #1283
    Holy fuck, I wasted money on this shit?
    August 2011
    1,905 Posts
    Hey, I found my mom's old Quantaray 70-300mm lens, it mounts perfect on my rebel xs but I get an error every time I take a pic, would getting this fix it?

http://www.amazon.com/Quantaray-T-mo.../dp/B00009V36V
    Anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

4. Post #1284
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    Anyone?
    What kind of error is it?

5. Post #1285
    July 2007
    642 Posts
    Getting that adapter will do nothing as it's useless for your lens.
    I think your Quantaray (sigma) lens will not work with your camera as it's chip in it will not work on digitals. Some other Sigma lenses also had this problem, as Sigma reverse engineered the Canon EF electronics, and their older lenses won't work on digital because of the compatibility issues.
    Even Canon DSLR's have different lens recognition tech in them. For example: My old 1D gives only the mm of the lens that is mounted(format 70-300mm). My 40D gave the whole name of the lens (EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM).
    The Sigma lenses have problems with their diaphragms, everything else works with them. You can only shoot wide-open with the lens without getting a error. If that isn't even the case, something about your lens is broken.
    Hope this helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #1286
    Holy fuck, I wasted money on this shit?
    August 2011
    1,905 Posts
    What kind of error is it?
    Error 01: Communication between the lens and body has failed

I was thinking maybe the mount would remove the need for a connection the way a reverse mount does.

Edited:

Getting that adapter will do nothing as it's useless for your lens.
    I think your Quantaray (sigma) lens will not work with your camera as it's chip in it will not work on digitals. Some other Sigma lenses also had this problem, as Sigma reverse engineered the Canon EF electronics, and their older lenses won't work on digital because of the compatibility issues.
    So if it works fine on a analog camera and not on your digital, there's your explanation.
    Yeah but it's for DSLRs.

7. Post #1287
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    I would love to have a 1.4

All those fancy fuzzy videos on Vimeo are done with the f1.4s, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #1288
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,239 Posts
    Error 01: Communication between the lens

Yeah but it's for DSLRs.

No it's a film lens. But everything frag said is correct
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

9. Post #1289
    DD's 10 year old
    April 2010
    17,361 Posts
    a friend just gave me

2x canon eos 600 body
    1x canon eos 100 body
    1x canon 35-135mm 5.6 lens that says ultrasonic on
    2x canon 24mm 2.8
    1x canon 50mm 2.5
    x1 sigma 28-200mm 5.6

did i do good? is any of this worth anything?
    if i were to sell one of the eos 600 bodies, one of the 24mm's and the 35-135mm how much would i be looking to earn?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

10. Post #1290
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,239 Posts
    if i were to sell one of the eos 600 bodies, one of the 24mm's and the 35-135mm how much would i be looking to earn?
    I don't have an exact idea, but I would sell them separately on eBay. Look up prices for each, and make sure you have good photos and you should be set to get around what they did

11. Post #1291
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I would like to have a polaroid back for my Bronica EC TL but I'm guessing they are expensive aside from being scarce?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1292
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    I would think so, I just did a quick sweep on ebay and saw that they didn't have for EC TL's, but for SQ's, GS1's and some others.

Just found this on the Bronica EC Wiki page.

Look at the weight   

13. Post #1293
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,751 Posts
    What is the weight of that thing....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #1294
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    Well, medium format cameras like the Bronica and Mamiya etc. require some strong arms if you want to hand hold them for a long time. So the Wiki page isn't far off.

15. Post #1295
    DD's 10 year old
    April 2010
    17,361 Posts
    I don't have an exact idea, but I would sell them separately on eBay. Look up prices for each, and make sure you have good photos and you should be set to get around what they did
    thanks, man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

16. Post #1296
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Anyone have any experience with the 18-50mm f2.8 sigma lens? I'm really looking for a cheaper alternative to the 18-50 Canon kit lenses as walk-around glass and general shooting, emphasis on build quality.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4_5_DC_OS.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1297
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,239 Posts
    Reviews seem to point towards it being better than a kit lens. Just be sure you get a good copy and wide open is not where the lens shines

18. Post #1298
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,104 Posts
    I've heard good things about the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Read this review for instance.

The Digital Picture posted:
    The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens delivers very good image quality in a small, light, fast and affordable package. Add in the very popular focal length range and you have a lens that is just right for many digital SLR camera owners. The early-in-its-lifecycle popularity this lens is enjoying substantiates this claim.
    Edited:

He also directly compares the Tamron to the Sigma.

The Digital Picture posted:
    The Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Lens is very, very similar to the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens. These lenses are more similar than different. They are very similarly sized and shaped. They function very similarly.

The differences? The Sigma is less resistant to flare. The Sigma shows more CA. The Tamron is noticeably wider (17mm vs. 18mm - and even wider than the Canon with the same 17mm designation). The Tamron focuses faster, the Sigma focuses more quietly. The Tamron focuses much more accurately - My keeper rate is far higher with the Tamron. My Sigma has a weak left side - For sharpness, the Tamron beats the Sigma easily on the left side, but the Sigma is slightly better on the right. The Sigma rings rotate the Canon direction, the Tamron rings rotate the opposite direction. The Sigma is less expensive (but not by much). The Sigma's requires its lens hood to be removed to install/remove the lens cap - this is a pain - Plan to buy the Tamron cap if you purchase the Sigma lens.

My pick? I'd go with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens over the Sigma.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

19. Post #1299
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Well, medium format cameras like the Bronica and Mamiya etc. require some strong arms if you want to hand hold them for a long time. So the Wiki page isn't far off.
    This is me before getting my Bronica:

And this is me after using it for two days
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

20. Post #1300
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    That picture reminds me of this all the time.

21. Post #1301
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,239 Posts
    I've heard good things about the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Read this review for instance.

Edited:

He also directly compares the Tamron to the Sigma.

It wasn't the sigma constant 2.8, it was a 2.8-4. A kit lens replacement rather than an L substitute. So for $200 it seems to be a good deal

22. Post #1302
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,104 Posts
    It wasn't the sigma constant 2.8, it was a 2.8-4. A kit lens replacement rather than an L substitute. So for $200 it seems to be a good deal
    Oh scheisse, disregard my post. (Well now at least you know that if you need a good constant f/2.8 lens with general-purpose focal length in the future, you can get the Tamron.)

23. Post #1303
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,859 Posts
    It says on Canon.com that the Canon SpeedLite 430EX II supports "Full flash control possible on camera menu, with compatible EOS Digital SLR cameras", but I can't find anywhere a list of compatible cameras.
    Would a 550D do fine or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

24. Post #1304
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    It says on Canon.com that the Canon SpeedLite 430EX II supports "Full flash control possible on camera menu, with compatible EOS Digital SLR cameras", but I can't find anywhere a list of compatible cameras.
    Would a 550D do fine or what?
    Yeah dude, it works fine on a 550D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1305
    April 2012
    3,425 Posts
    I need help: I just got a Vivitar PK mount 28mm f2.8 lens (legacy). My issue is that when I put the lens on my camera all the way, it only shoots wide open, regardless of where it's aperture is set. The only way it works properly is if I do not put it in all the way so that it locks into place on my K-5. My settings are all correct; my other manual/legacy lenses are working normal

Now, the lens says "AUTO", so does it act like M42s do sometimes?

26. Post #1306
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    So I was busy cleaning out the inside of my TLR and I found this cable coming out from under the viewing lens. I don't know what it is, do you guys have some idea? It looks like it leads to the hotshoe, and I tried putting my SB-900 on it and it just fires and I can't do anything with the settings, I can't even switch it off.

27. Post #1307
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,859 Posts
    Yeah dude, it works fine on a 550D
    I was talking about the ability to control it via the camera, but I assume you meant the same thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

28. Post #1308
    March 2010
    824 Posts
    So I installed Magic Lantern just fine, and put it on my 64gb SDXC, but heres a pro tip. Remember to turn RAW shooting back on. Fuck.

29. Post #1309
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,751 Posts
    Via SD card reader or USB to Camera?

30. Post #1310
    March 2010
    824 Posts
    Via SD card reader or USB to Camera?
    I dont think under any case you can do it via USB to camera. I did it in my friends 2012 Macbook's SD cart slot because Im too cheap to buy a card reader.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #1311
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,751 Posts
    I guess I have to bring my 550D to the computer lab on Tuesday, school lab Macs ahoy! By the way, what's up with protip? You shot a whole trip with JPEG and regret it?

32. Post #1312
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Oh scheisse, disregard my post. (Well now at least you know that if you need a good constant f/2.8 lens with general-purpose focal length in the future, you can get the Tamron.)
    The tamron 17-50 2.8 is fixed aperture throughout the focal length? Wouldn't that be a bonus over the Sigma? The difference in price is quite large though, about 100, I'm still unsure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #1313
    LITTLE PREB FAGGOT
    January 2012
    902 Posts

Recently got my first DSLR!
    I just love it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

34. Post #1314
    March 2011
    654 Posts
    I'm planning to get an older dSLR, are there many disadvantages to lets say buying a Fujifilm S2 instead of a 150 bridge camera?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #1315
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,104 Posts
    The tamron 17-50 2.8 is fixed aperture throughout the focal length? Wouldn't that be a bonus over the Sigma? The difference in price is quite large though, about 100, I'm still unsure.
    Well a constant f/2.8 aperture is a big bonus since you get small depth-of-field effects, even more so when zoomed in. Your exposure settings also don't change so you don't have to bother with that.

But keep in mind, even with a constant f/2.8 aperture, as you zoom in more and more, you still need faster shutter speeds for longer focal lengths.

Personally I'm getting the Tamron 28-75 for my 450D because I like to have some extra reach and don't mind missing out on some wide-angle. But that's your decision to make.

36. Post #1316
    March 2010
    824 Posts
    I guess I have to bring my 550D to the computer lab on Tuesday, school lab Macs ahoy! By the way, what's up with protip? You shot a whole trip with JPEG and regret it?
    haha yep, not magic lanterns fault. I was just forgetful.

37. Post #1317
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,239 Posts
    I'm planning to get an older dSLR, are there many disadvantages to lets say buying a Fujifilm S2 instead of a 150 bridge camera?
    Just size mostly. Dynamic range should be similar, less detail (due to less megapixels), noise will be similar, but the DoF effects of course are still better it's a dslr after all. The s2 was a nice camera, the color effects were nice

38. Post #1318
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    My FD adapter with AF Confirm for my D30 arrived today. I immediately tried it out.

ERR 84 - LENS COMMUNICATION ERROR

Great, the fucking adapter is being a bitch with the camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

39. Post #1319
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,914 Posts
    But keep in mind, even with a constant f/2.8 aperture, as you zoom in more and more, you still need faster shutter speeds for longer focal lengths.
    f-stops let you compare lenses in terms of the amount of light coming in regardless of focal length.

Say you're looking at a wall that is completely evenly lit.

You have two lenses, a 50mm and a 100mm, both set to f/2.8.

When you look at the wall, in both cases the intensity of light at the film plane will be the same. This is the whole reason why f-stops are used.

[SUB][SUP]Of course, you may get some differences, since f-stops assume that the glass does not absorb any of the light passing through it, which is not what really happens. Some lenses have more glass in them than others. Different types of glass possess different transmittance. This is why with cine lenses you get T-stops, which are basically f-stops but adjusted for the transmittance of that particular lens.[/SUP][/SUB]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1320
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,239 Posts
    I think he just meant that you need faster shutters to compensate for camera shake. Because rule of thumb is 1/your focal length (ie 1/100 for a 100mm lens) but that disregards stabilization