1. Post #441
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I got my Nikon D200 last night, and a lensbaby to borrow, just so i have a lens. This camera is so confusing, it's going to take a while to figure it out. I've been reading through the manual.
    That camera is great. I loved it. I prefer the looks and ergonomics to my Canon 7D actually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,275 Posts
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

How is this for a beginning wannabe-photographer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

How is this for a beginning wannabe-photographer?
    I don't know the specifics of that camera, but a rule of thumb is cameras costing around that price won't give you quality photos. They usually handle noise poorly, the lenses aren't that great, they are slow and there are plenty more reasons. Obviously there's a reason there are cameras that cost ten times that.
    I guess for a beginner it's ok, but personally I'd invest in a cheap dslr which you can always sell if you don't like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,275 Posts

5. Post #445
    June 2010
    9,225 Posts
    I've heard it was alright, but if you're serious about it, you're gonna grow out of it pretty quickly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #446
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    This is what my entry DSLR is. It's very nice. It's not THAT pricey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

7. Post #447
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    The T3 is actually pretty great to get you into the mindset of taking good photos, changing lenses, setting everything manually, etc.

Buy better gear as your skill grows, but start at a good point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,978 Posts
    This just in http://press.nikonusa.com/post/2012/...video-quality/

Nikon posted:
    Simply Stunning: The New Nikon D3200 Is The Simple Way To Chronicle Memories With Superior Image And HD Video Quality
    Nikon posted:

The Nikon D3200 Provides New D-SLR Shooters a Powerful Combination of Effortless Operation, 24.2-Megapixel High Resolution and Wireless Connectivity to Mobile Devices

MELVILLE, N.Y. (APRIL 19, 2012) – Today, imaging leader Nikon Inc. introduced the new 24.2-megapixel Nikon D3200 HD-SLR; a camera designed for photo enthusiasts ready to step up to a D-SLR or for the busy family memory keeper with an active lifestyle who demands a camera that can keep pace. From low-light to fast action, the D3200 delivers the amazing image quality Nikon is known for, either indoors or outside. Whether new to photography or upgrading from a point-and-shoot, the D3200 features Nikon’s acclaimed instructive Guide Mode to help unleash the photographer in everyone. From candid action shots to staged portraits that flatter, the Nikon D3200 provides the power to capture every moment easily and beautifully with stellar image quality and in stunning Full HD (1080p) video.

Ready to tag along for any outing, the Nikon D3200’s compact, lightweight body makes it easy to pack for a quick day trip or the long haul. A host of advanced features, including a super high resolution 24.2-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor, Full HD (1080p) video recording with full time autofocus (AF) and 4 frames-per-second (fps) high-speed continuous shooting mode, prepare the D3200 for challenging lighting conditions and fast paced action. Also, Nikon D3200 users will be able to take advantage of the new WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter. When connected to the camera, this optional adapter can wirelessly send images to mobile devices like smartphones and tablets, preview an image before shooting and control the camera remotely.

“When every moment is as precious as the next one, having a camera that takes the guesswork out of photography is important,” said Bo Kajiwara, director of marketing, Nikon Inc. “The Nikon D3200 HD-SLR offers effortless functionality and easy-to-use connectivity to mobile devices that answers the call for a capable, entry-level D-SLR that will change how you share amazing images with your friends and family.”

Stunning Images to Last a Lifetime
    The new Nikon D3200 delivers outstanding image quality no matter the user’s skill level by leveraging Nikon’s renowned technologies. The new 24.2-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor allows for incredibly sharp images with stunning detail and less noise, while Nikon’s EXPEED 3™ image processing engine helps to create clear, lifelike images and video with vivid colors, smooth tonal gradations and low noise.

The Nikon D3200 grants users impressive performance in low-light, affording the ability to shoot with assurance even during night games and school plays. With a native ISO range that extends from ISO 100 to 6400, the D3200 can also be expanded to a high of ISO 12,800 for extreme low-light situations resulting in previously impossible photos. Additionally, Nikon’s Scene Recognition System works in tandem with the camera’s 3D Color Matrix Metering II to recognize factors such as color and brightness for balanced exposures, accurate AF, faithful white balance and beautiful flash photos.

Effortless Operation
    Beginner photographers as well as those looking to expand their repertoire of shooting techniques will appreciate the Nikon D3200’s Guide Mode which provides step-by-step photo instructions to capture amazing images. Easily accessible through the Mode Dial found on top of the camera body, the Guide Mode walks beginning D-SLR users through the process of set-up, shooting, viewing and deleting images. Because it asks the user what kind of creative photo technique they would like to learn, the Guide Mode has been widely acclaimed for its ability to build confidence and give users the tools to create amazing images. As more people discover the benefits of replacing their camcorder with a D-SLR, the Guide Mode also walks users through the best video settings to create home movies with blockbuster flair. For those with a more advanced skill level, the Guide Mode features helpful Assist Images that serve as a visual reference to inspire users and illustrate the desired result, while guiding them through easy-to-follow techniques.

Further taking the guesswork out of photography, the D3200 also includes six Scene Modes. Photographers can set the Mode Dial to Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close-Up or Night Portrait, and the D3200 will automatically adjust camera settings for optimal results in a variety of conditions.

Beautiful Home Movies in Full HD
    When images alone can’t tell the whole story, the Nikon D3200 offers the full HD experience of high quality 1080p video. Users can create memorable, cinematic quality videos at 24 or 30 fps and easily share HD content online with friends and family or on their own HDTV via the HDMI output.

Continuing down the path that its predecessor, the Nikon D3100, started, the D3200 implements full-time AF during video recording to help capture crisp video even during the most action-packed situations. To boost the production value of any home video, the camera offers manual or automatic exposure control, and a stereo microphone input to attach an optional external microphone such as the compact ME-1 Stereo Microphone. Furthermore, the D3200 offers other HD-SLR advantages including the ability to create a shallow depth of field, amazing low-light video performance and NIKKOR lens versatility.

Capturing videos on the D3200 is simple, even when in Live View. With a dedicated video record button and easy access to the Live View switch, users can capture video clips before the moment is gone. Additionally, videos play with astonishing detail and clarity on the D3200’s 3-inch, high resolution 921,000-dot LCD screen.

A Camera to Keep Pace with an Energetic Existence
    An active lifestyle requires a capable camera that is ready at a moment’s notice, and the Nikon D3200 packs powerful technology to tackle just about any challenge. Delivering up to 4 fps in high-speed continuous shooting mode, the D3200 helps ensure that important, spontaneous and easy-to-miss memories are captured, from a baby’s first smile to a game winning grand slam. Additionally, the D3200’s advanced 11-point AF system allows the user to find and keep focus while maintaining a clear view of that subject. This advanced focusing system is ideal for capturing tricky subjects like a dancer mid-leap during the big recital or a dive for the line drive in centerfield.

The Nikon D3200’s power is amplified when combined with the versatility of Nikon’s legendary NIKKOR optics and powerful accessories. Compatible with Nikon’s dedicated DX-format lenses and over 50 FX-format lenses as well as Nikon’s Speedlight System, the Nikon D3200 puts creativity at the user’s fingertips. The optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter for the D3200 allows the connected user to easily share photos taken on the D3200 to an Android™ platform based smartphone or tablet, so friends and family can enjoy the moment almost as quickly as it happens.1 Android platform users are able to wirelessly transfer images from the camera to a mobile device, preview the image before shooting photos, and even remotely control the camera from up to 49 feet. The Application for use with an Android platform smartphone (2.3 series) and tablet (3.x series) is expected for release in May 2012.2 Additionally, an Application for the iPhone® and iPad® mobile digital device is expected for release in Fall 2012.3

Price and Availability
    The Nikon D3200 outfit with the versatile AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR image stabilization lens will be available in late April 2012 for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $699.95* in either Black or Red. The optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter, sold separately, will be available in late May 2012 for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $59.95*. For more information on the Nikon D3200, NIKKOR lenses, additional Nikon D-SLR cameras and accessories, please visit www.nikonusa.com.

Looks like Nikon is going full on with this high MP count.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    So basically a D3100 with sony sensor and wifi...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts
    Just ordered a Panasonic GH2

http://vimeo.com/31835141

Dat grain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #451
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    wow it's only going to be $700? I seriously wonder how it will compare to the a65, the current cheapest sony camera with the same sensor.

to me noticeable differences between the two
    OVF vs EVF
    4fps vs 10fps
    1080@30p/24p vs 1080@60p/30p/24p
    no gps vs gps
    in lens stabilization vs in body stabilization
    iso 100-6400 (boost to 12800) vs iso 100-16000 (boost to 25600, and i believe 50 iirc)

i also wonder how people are going to perceive it with the kit lens, as the nex 7 has been criticized with the 18-55 because of lack of resolving power and demanding high quality glass for the pixel density. but with the couple lost features from the a65 i can see why it's a bit cheaper, still a VERY exciting camera as the nex 7 with the sensor is rated as one of the best APS-C cameras (right by the k5 and the fuji x-pro), so it will be interesting to see what nikon manages to pull out with their firmware and no SLT blocking light (like the a65 and a77 which are rated lower on image quality than the nex7 because of this)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #452
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    24mp? What the hell? Why, exactly? If I'm not mistaken mp =/= quality, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

13. Post #453
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    24mp? What the hell? Why, exactly? If I'm not mistaken mp =/= quality, right?
    higher megapixels at a base iso will allow for incredible resolving power. plus the sensor is amazing, with the right piece of glass it will be leagues better than any other APS-C sensor, including Nikon's own d7000. basically it gives more freedom for cropping and better images blown up. the downside is increased noise, though with nikon's history of noise performance should mostly be non-issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #454
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,275 Posts
    I don't really want professional gear. I just want something to do decent photographs of my everyday life I can print at home on 4x6 glossy paper.

15. Post #455
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    The only thing professional about the d3200 is the image quality, aka the only thing you want to be professional at that price point
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #456
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Which one should I get? My budget is $118 with shipping.

Video and Audio quality are important to me. A Stereo mic is a plus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830144430

Or

Stereo Microphone, and great nice video.
    http://bensoutlet.com/products/kodak...ra-w-slash-30x

My friend said he'd split the difference on that Kodak.

If you know any good ones within the price range, go ahead and list.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #457
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    Which one should I get? My budget is $118 with shipping.

Video and Audio quality are important to me. A Stereo mic is a plus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830144430

Or

Stereo Microphone, and great nice video.
    http://bensoutlet.com/products/kodak...ra-w-slash-30x

My friend said he'd split the difference on that Kodak.

If you know any good ones within the price range, go ahead and list.
    If you want good audio ignore the built in mic and buy an external one. Internal mics are always awful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #458
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Thank you for replying, both of them have great mics for internal

Kodak

Samsung

19. Post #459
    June 2010
    9,225 Posts
    Internal mics are always awful.
    Not always, some point and shoot cameras have pretty good built in mics. The newer powershoot ones, for instance. DLSR built in mics are getting better, but are still pretty bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    So I'm thinking of moving up from a Nikon D3000 to maybe a D5100/D90. What do you guys think and do you have any other recommendations?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

21. Post #461
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    I just won an Olympus Trip 35 on ebay for about £8 including P&P, I can't wait to see this very hyped up camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Is this shady?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-D90-12...item19d017090d

I've been wanting to get into photography for a while, but it doesn't help that I have near no income and am down on my luck in terms of money.

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    474 Posts
    Is this shady?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-D90-12...item19d017090d

I've been wanting to get into photography for a while, but it doesn't help that I have near no income and am down on my luck in terms of money.
    It's not shady, it has 6 days left, unfortunately it will be no where near that price when it ends especially since there's already idiots bidding these early on.

If I were you I'd either find some nice 35mm film camera or save up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Italy Show Events

24. Post #464
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    If I were you I'd either find some nice 35mm film camera or save up.
    If he wanted film he could just get instagram!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Every film development place in the area is shutting down, and the ones left are niche places right beside starbucks where all the hipsters hang.

Film isn't an option. I want video functionality too, which is probably why I'm leaning toward a point and shoot.

26. Post #466
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I'm interested though, how would one get a picture taken on a film camera (on 35mm film) onto your computer, is there an easy to to do it or does it require you getting them developed, then scanning them? Surely that would be more expensive in the long run than just getting a point and shoot?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #467
    Sometimes i fall down :(
    July 2008
    3,208 Posts
    The D3200 looks pretty spiffy

28. Post #468
    September 2008
    1,514 Posts
    Yes child I done won me an Olympus OM-2 with a 135mm f2.8 Promaster lens on ebay fo fifty biguns. Should nicely compliment my Olympus OM-1N and the handful of OM lens I have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

29. Post #469
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    So I'm thinking of moving up from a Nikon D3000 to maybe a D5100/D90. What do you guys think and do you have any other recommendations?
    Wait for the d3200
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

30. Post #470
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    That D90 auction doesn't list how many previous shutter activations it's had as far as I can see... shady...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #471
    motherfucker my D3100 isn't even two months old
    and this one has a mic jack and better sensor
    ffff-

Edited:

Buy my d3100 so I can wait and get the 3200 and be on the ~cutting edge~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #472
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    Wait for the d3200
    But it's just like a D3100, just a bigger MP count. I wanted to take bigger steps in terms of camera bodies, if you get what I'm trying to say

33. Post #473
    From an amateur's view, I honestly don't know why you (or anyone who isn't a supersrs pro-photog) would need anything more than a D3100/D3200, unless you were focusing on something like sports photography or very low light photography, which would require a more expensive body tailored for that.
    I mean, one teacher once told me it was "90% about the glass" and I agree and that's something I love about my DSLR, the possibility to swap the all-around 18-55 for a 200 with a 2x teleconverter to take a picture of a bird from 100m away, or put a fisheye on it and take pictures and videos of skaters and stuff like that.
    I'd say that if you can get decent money for the D3000 (not likely ) a D3200 and a new lens would be an interesting buy. You get video recording and a bigger sensor, a couple more functions, better performance in low light, and way higher MP count.

If anyone has something to say on the matter, enlighten me. "Why would you want something more?" is my question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #474
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,978 Posts
    Because consumers basically have been sold the idea that they want to be are a great photographer for years, which leads to desire for the "very best gear" (nota bene: not always the best for them). Now consumers are being sold the idea that they should be great videographers now, which obviously demands the very best equipment in their price range. After all, who would watch their videos of the road mystically flowing beside a moving car on Vimeo if it wasn't taken with the flavour of the month DSLR?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    Heard about the D3200 just this morning at work and I was blown away. For an entry level it's fucking incredible.
    Gonna be a mad rush to clear the 5100's though before these come.

36. Post #476
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    Hopefully picking up this bag tomorrow morning... Link

Room for a body, two lenses and some food/drink. Also doesn't look like a camera bag, apart from the logo. Thoughts?

37. Post #477
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    But it's just like a D3100, just a bigger MP count. I wanted to take bigger steps in terms of camera bodies, if you get what I'm trying to say
    It's more than just mp count. In terms of color depth and dynamic range, Sony managed to make it the best performing aps-c (aside from fuji xpro) and they haven't been known to get the best out of their sensors. In terms of image quality, the d3200 should be the best you can get, you are just losing on some video features and ergonomics. Possibly some autofocus things too.
    Basically look at what you dislike about your current setup. If its image quality, go d3200. If its autofocus, or ergonomics, then d5100
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

38. Post #478
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    It's more than just mp count. In terms of color depth and dynamic range, Sony managed to make it the best performing aps-c (aside from fuji xpro) and they haven't been known to get the best out of their sensors. In terms of image quality, the d3200 should be the best you can get, you are just losing on some video features and ergonomics. Possibly some autofocus things too.
    Basically look at what you dislike about your current setup. If its image quality, go d3200. If its autofocus, or ergonomics, then d5100
    Yeah, I'm looking into better ergonomics, some sort of video capabilities with some upgrade in picture quality, so I'm probably gonna go with the D5100. Thanks pal! :D

39. Post #479
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,225 Posts
    No problem, glad to be able to help :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

40. Post #480
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I'm looking for a digital camera that has a retro aesthetic to it (think X10, or older film cameras), non-DSLR as my price range doesn't quite make it, looking at about £100 ($150), obviously picture quality is more important than aesthetics, but I'd love something that looks like the X10, the standard point and shoot look is horrible.

Edited:

Actually, I'm open to 35mm film cameras in the same price range too if anyone has any ideas, maybe I should go 2nd hand?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events