1. Post #1001
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    already have 3 watchers on my K-r whooo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #1002
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    You are going to love the k-5, it's an incredible piece of equipment
    I bought a K-5 this month for my birthday, and I agree.

The only drawback I find is that taking photos as RAWs, the thumbnails it shows back on the camera are already processed JPEGs so a shot may appear darker than it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

3. Post #1003
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    Sold my K-r, gonna try to ship it out today so that there's a chance evil-Bay will allow me to use my money sooner than 21 days
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

4. Post #1004
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    Its a bloody evil thing paypal added
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1005
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    Make sure you add tracking to the package. I forgot that last time, had to wait 21 days on $400 even though it was there in 3 days. Tracking gets you money quick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #1006
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    Make sure you add tracking to the package. I forgot that last time, had to wait 21 days on $400 even though it was there in 3 days. Tracking gets you money quick
    yep, it's tracked and shipped.

Should I buy the K-5 with its kit 18-135mm WR, or should I pickup a different lens?

Like I said, I only have an old 50mm and an old Asahi 85-210mm now

7. Post #1007
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    I'd try and get a weather sealed one, I don't know anything about that lens specifically but it should be a great lens, much better than an 18-55. Versatile, and covers a good range while being a good aperture range. If not that one, pentax probably supports aps-c better than any other company.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #1008
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    Is it possible to find a decent flash for $200 or under? Just something for taking senior pictures and general things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

9. Post #1009
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    Probably, you might have to get a manual meter one and not TTL. I got a really nice Olympus flash from goodwill one time, it doesn't TTL but manually meters properly. I will look at the model and send it to you, it shouldn't run for more than $70 on eBay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #1010
    March 2010
    819 Posts
    Im in the same market, a nice manual flash to learn with. Borrowed a 480EXII and have no idea how to use it manually, any pointers? I dont understand how it relates to shutter speed, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #1011
    August 2011
    678 Posts
    I dont understand how it relates to shutter speed, etc.
    With a long exposure + flash you get the ambient light but freeze everything the flash hits. Like this. (more Google)
    It will also limit your maximum shutter speed to something like 1/200, depends on the camera, because of the way the curtains work. example

Just choose a reasonable aperture (sweet spot for sharpness or something) and tweak the flash power, 1/2, 1/4, ..., 1/64
    For finetuning you can move the flash closer to the subject or further away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #1012
    March 2010
    819 Posts
    Ok awesome, thanks for your help! Time to do some reading.

13. Post #1013
    November 2009
    1,205 Posts
    Guys, I have this Albinar 100MDT Twin flash, and I barely use it.
    Would it be safe to use on my Rebel T3?

14. Post #1014
    April 2009
    833 Posts
    Probably, you might have to get a manual meter one and not TTL.
    How important is TTL? I read what it is and all but I was just thinking that I can be better off just using manual (or i'm probably just dumb, dunno) I'm thinking of buying a Yongnuo 560(no TTL), which is a lot cheaper than the YN 565 EX which has TTL

15. Post #1015
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    TTL is important if you don't know what you are doing. It's a great way to easily use flash, but not necessary.
    Also the flash I have is called an Olympus FL-40, it is a tele-wide, with a nice pivot head. Should be pretty cheap online as it doesn't TTL on modern Olympus cameras.

Also shutter speed doesn't matter much for flash. Instead flash power takes place. Shutter speed will only impact ambient lighting, as amount of light is the same and only fired for short amount of time anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #1016
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,977 Posts
    TTL is very important because it's easy to judge necessary flash level from lighting alone (without a meter) but judging distance accurately is bloody difficult.

(Source: doing party photos)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #1017
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    Hello everyone,
    I'm just wondering if anyone either has the 7dayshop pro tripod Quick Release plate, or if they have a spare tripod head with a 3/8" tripod mount on the bottom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #1018
    Sadboys2001
    June 2011
    1,065 Posts
    Hey guys, Really exited to order my 600D tomorrow! I will post a few day 1 shots when I get it.

I am definitely going to buy a 50mm lens too. probably the canon f1.4 but I will have to save up again as I am spending all my money on this 600D + 18-55mm kit tomorrow! I know I wont regret it.

Anybody got any suggestions of good / cheap equipment that is worth getting? I like to be creative with my shots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #1019
    Ask me about my canoe feet
    March 2009
    940 Posts
    Just need some advice on a more adventurously designed camera, I have a Sony Alpha 330 at the moment but when I go climbing I'm in constant fear of dropping/ scratching it..

What do you guys think of the Pentax Optio WG-1?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #1020
    March 2010
    819 Posts
    Hey guys, Really exited to order my 600D tomorrow! I will post a few day 1 shots when I get it.

I am definitely going to buy a 50mm lens too. probably the canon f1.4 but I will have to save up again as I am spending all my money on this 600D + 18-55mm kit tomorrow! I know I wont regret it.

Anybody got any suggestions of good / cheap equipment that is worth getting? I like to be creative with my shots.
    Ive been using this Meike Battery Grip and its a really fantastic accessory. Had mine for like 6 months and it really really improves the grip. (Note: I have a 550D, should be the same.)

EDIT: Find a place NOT shipping from Hong Kong btw. :P I think they have the same Meike grip on the 'Zon without the extra aftermarket battery.

EDIT 2:

Got my 20-35mm 2.8L in. This thing is awesome, except for the loose rubber zoom strap thing. The replacements are 30 bucks each on eBay. Any ideas? Also gonna be putting a few rolls through the EOS-1N it came with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #1021
    Sadboys2001
    June 2011
    1,065 Posts
    Ive been using this Meike Battery Grip and its a really fantastic accessory. Had mine for like 6 months and it really really improves the grip. (Note: I have a 550D, should be the same.)

EDIT: Find a place NOT shipping from Hong Kong btw. :P I think they have the same Meike grip on the 'Zon without the extra aftermarket battery.
    Thanks for the suggestion. a battery grip seems worthwhile and that particular one has good reviews. however my first focus will be to get a 50mm lens. But I will try to get that battery grip asap.

I also need to get a new tripod (As the one I have is build for compact cameras) and a carry bag to keep my stuff in, but these are pretty inexpensive so I shouldn't have a problem getting my hands on them.

I don't think ive been this excited for a product since the game boy I got for Christmas when I was 5!

22. Post #1022
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    It's rumored that canon is redesigning their 50mm f1.4 lens, which means possible price drops soon. If you don't mind waiting, see how that one pans out, could save you a decent sum of money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #1023
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,751 Posts
    YES! Once that occurs, I don't mind picking up the 50mm 1.4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #1024
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Not mine, but my aunt has used a film SLR for as long as I know, from my baby pictures to a few weeks ago. It's a 1982 Canon AL-1. It just impresses me how durable that thing is, despite I think her telling me that the batter compartment is broken.

25. Post #1025
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    Anyone here thinking of buying an EOS M?
    I'm not getting one myself, but from handling one at work I am pretty impressed. Especially considering that the body kits come with the adaptor for standard Canon lenses.

I'm saving for my OM-D though. Very very impressed with that from playing around with it.
    Might even consider converting my G3 to an infrared or full spectrum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #1026
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,104 Posts
    Going to save up and get a Canon EOS 450D and 24-70mm f/2.8L, both second-hand. My guess is it's going to cost around 900 euros.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

27. Post #1027
    Sadboys2001
    June 2011
    1,065 Posts
    Just ordered the 600d 18-55mm kit, got it for a decent price "465" new. Could have got it for cheaper but I didnt want to order it from hong kong, and I wanted the 600d model rather than the kiss x5 (Even though there isnt any difference, I just wanted the UK model)

I have around 50 spare, so I will probably get a tripod or camera bag and then get a 50mm 1.4 if the price drops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #1028
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Could anybody explain the advantages of a battery grip besides making you look 'pro', having more battery and looking extremely awkard to hold?

29. Post #1029
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    Better vertical grip?

2-3 times the battery life is pretty useful

30. Post #1030
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,104 Posts
    If you find yourself shooting in portrait orientation a lot, it might help. Otherwise, it just makes your camera look chunkier and gives you extra battery life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1031
    March 2010
    819 Posts
    It actually helps vertical and horizontal grip on my diminutive T2i. Without it my pinky and ring finger fall limply off the side when holding it horizontally.

32. Post #1032
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    Anyone here thinking of buying an EOS M?
    I'm not getting one myself, but from handling one at work I am pretty impressed. Especially considering that the body kits come with the adaptor for standard Canon lenses.
    it doesn't come with the adapter. the adapter is $150 extra. it's honestly the most pathetic entry to mirrorless yet, it doesn't even beat the initial release of the nex 5 almost 3 years ago aside from audio levels and mic jack. plus you can get adapters for nex and m4/3 that allow full aperture and electronic control of EF and EF-S lenses, and with the manual focusing systems on those cameras you could probably outdo the 5-6 seconds it will take for the EOS-M with adapter to contrast detect a scene.

just look at the sony LA-EA1 and 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapters. These are probably the most criticized accessories ever (leading sony to inventing a new adapter based on their SLT system to give good autofocus speed), and i don't see why Canon is getting praise for releasing basically the same thing.

33. Post #1033
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Better grip.. What? My hands aren't really sliding off my camera.

34. Post #1034
    Sadboys2001
    June 2011
    1,065 Posts
    I get stupidly over paranoid about things. so I just want to clear something up..

I got told recently about "Shutter Actuations" or "Shutter count" on DSLR camera's.. meaning that after a certain amount of shots the shutter breaks / Needs repaired..

This probably sounds really REALLY dumb but is this something I need to be weary of? Because I can see myself taking tons of pictures but I don't want to wear my camera out quick, or break the shutter.

As dumb as this sounds, If I didn't ask it would always be at the back of my mind and I would probably get really paranoid about taking too many pictures..

35. Post #1035
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    You'll exhaust the camera before you exhaust your shutter. Just don't be a shutter bug and take like 1000 pictures a day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1036
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,455 Posts
    You'll exhaust the camera before you exhaust your shutter. Just don't be a shutter bug and take like 1000 pictures a day.
    I get what you're saying but I think your wording is a little off.

The first thing to go on a modern DSLR would be the shutter, the rest of the camera should hold up much longer.

I think you mean to say you'll be done with a camera before it (specifically the shutter) wears out. It'll be old and outdated and you'll probably have upgraded.

Edited:

Could anybody explain the advantages of a battery grip besides making you look 'pro', having more battery and looking extremely awkard to hold?
    For me? A whole set of buttons and dials in portrait orientation and it counter balances heavier lenses. Makes it infinitely less straining to use for long periods of time and allows one handed shooting with an 85L.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1037
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    I get what you're saying but I think your wording is a little off.

The first thing to go on a modern DSLR would be the shutter, the rest of the camera should hold up much longer.

I think you mean to say you'll be done with a camera before it (specifically the shutter) wears out. It'll be old and outdated and you'll probably have upgraded.
    yes this is more of the wording i meant, sorry if i wasn't clear. you will most likely upgrade your camera before the shutter dies. but i stick with the don't be a shutterbug advice, think about your shots before you take them, saves battery life as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #1038
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    it doesn't come with the adapter. the adapter is $150 extra. it's honestly the most pathetic entry to mirrorless yet, it doesn't even beat the initial release of the nex 5 almost 3 years ago aside from audio levels and mic jack. plus you can get adapters for nex and m4/3 that allow full aperture and electronic control of EF and EF-S lenses, and with the manual focusing systems on those cameras you could probably outdo the 5-6 seconds it will take for the EOS-M with adapter to contrast detect a scene.

just look at the sony LA-EA1 and 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapters. These are probably the most criticized accessories ever (leading sony to inventing a new adapter based on their SLT system to give good autofocus speed), and i don't see why Canon is getting praise for releasing basically the same thing.
    Kits must be a regional thing then, because the body kit in Australia will come with the adaptor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1039
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    How much is the kit there? Here it is $850 for the cheapest kit (22mm and body), which is ridiculously expensive but doesn't at all surprise me. So you would be looking at $1000 to awkwardly use EF lenses
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1040
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    How much is the kit there? Here it is $850 for the cheapest kit (22mm and body), which is ridiculously expensive but doesn't at all surprise me. So you would be looking at $1000 to awkwardly use EF lenses
    I've also only seen it sold without the adapter and it's 800-850