1. Post #241
    July 2010
    48 Posts
    Send it to a store or something

that thing looks sexy as fuck and it would be a shame to have it unable to shoot pictures
    I guess that's my only option available I was hoping not to spend any money since I'm already a poor college student but this is just irresistible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #242
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts
    What's the difference between

Glidecam HD2000 Stabilizer System
    Glidecam 4000 PRO Camcorder Stabilizing System
    Glidecam XR-2000 Handheld Camera Stabilizer

I'll be mounting my 550D with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens or a 50mm 1.4, with a rode videomic, and possibly a batterypack. With the battery pack it weighs 1.9kg. Why the big difference in price but no real difference in features?

Also, what quick release plate would I purchase with it? Does the HD2000 come with one? And any recommendations for inexpensive on camera lighting?

Perhaps a combination of these so I can mount my mic too?

Rycote Hot Shoe Extension
    Bescor LED-70 Dimmable 70W Video & DSLR Light

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

3. Post #243
    July 2007
    612 Posts
    Hmmm when the D800 was anounced it was posted here immidiatly, people not so keen of the 5D Mark III?
    Anyway, here it is: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/i...iii/#more-9102
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...os_5d_mark_iii

Canon EOS 5D Mark III – Key features:

22.3 Megapixel full-frame sensor
    61-point autofocus
    Up to 6fps continuous shooting
    Native ISO 100-25,600 sensitivity
    Full HD video with manual control
    14-bit DIGIC 5+ processor
    Enhanced Weather sealing
    8.11cm (3.2-inch) 1,040,000-dot screen
    HDR mode with presets

Awesome, finally a decent autofocus and a extended ISO range.
    If I've had the money, this would be my new camera

Picture of it:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

4. Post #244
    So the D3100 has three options to protect the fragile screen:
    -Flexible plastic sticker thing which sucks and doesn't do anything
    -Acrylic thing that hooks to the viewfinder
    -Acrylic thing that sticks around the screen

which one should I get?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events

5. Post #245
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,575 Posts
    holy shit if there was even a chance of my attic at home containing a hasselblad my house would look like a bombsite
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #246
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,092 Posts
    Hmmm when the D800 was anounced it was posted here immidiatly, people not so keen of the 5D Mark III?
    Anyway, here it is: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/i...iii/#more-9102
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...os_5d_mark_iii

Canon EOS 5D Mark III – Key features:

22.3 Megapixel full-frame sensor
    61-point autofocus
    Up to 6fps continuous shooting
    Native ISO 100-25,600 sensitivity
    Full HD video with manual control
    14-bit DIGIC 5+ processor
    Enhanced Weather sealing
    8.11cm (3.2-inch) 1,040,000-dot screen
    HDR mode with presets

Awesome, finally a decent autofocus and a extended ISO range.
    If I've had the money, this would be my new camera

Picture of it:
    Wow about time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

7. Post #247
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    It's a really heavy buildup if I had to guess and I tried putting a bit of WD-40 on the lever where you open the pack up but it doesn't seep through the cracks so I don't think the baking solution will work either. This is looking to be hopeless :(.
    Baking soda or vinegar will dissolve it, WD-40 is an oil based thing, you'd never really get it to dissolve properly like that. Try it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #248
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,798 Posts

some big improvements of the mk3 i noticed
    -Much better processor
    -Video is no longer line removing (less moire), as well as general video improvements throughout (headphone, audio leveling)
    -100% viewfinder with transparent LCD overlay info
    -Noise performance is twice as good (allegedly, though i do believe this claim)
    -much improved AF
    -Ergonomically similar to the 7D
    -Silent Mode

Downsides
    -Price
    -HDMI out is only 480p, does not rival Nikon's 1080p out

9. Post #249
    December 2009
    7,092 Posts
    I'm sliiiightly disappointed at the fact that it didn't have 6.9fps burst rate as previously rumored, but it's still a great camera nontheless

10. Post #250
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,343 Posts
    You know what this means? mki and mkii go down in price, more people finally have access to the glory of digital full frame.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #251
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,575 Posts
    you mean i could have got it cheaper had i waited?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #252
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,798 Posts
    You know what this means? mki and mkii go down in price, more people finally have access to the glory of digital full frame.

i think the Sony a850 still holds the title of the cheapest full frame, but i could be wrong.
    but yes this would be good for the price droping in the mk2, very excited for that

13. Post #253
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    I'm trying to decide between getting the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 for my Canon 60D. this camera has a APS-C sensor, so the lenses have focal equivalencies of 48mm and 80mm, respectively. I've done a bunch of research on both of these lenses but I would like to know what you guys think.

based on the focal lengths on a 1.6x crop sensor, which lens is generally better suited for street photography, portraits, etc.?

14. Post #254
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,094 Posts
    So I was at a photography / camera exhibition today, where I got to try both the 1Dx and the 5D Mk III

I put my CF card into the 1Dx and shot some photos, but Bridge doesn't like the RAW-files, so the only files I have are some jpeg-files with the ISO at 204800.

My 7D feels like a toy compared to the 1Dx, goddamnnnnnnn.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

15. Post #255
    dat
    white
    plastic

16. Post #256
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    11,934 Posts
    dat
    white
    plastic

Dat white painted metal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #257
    oh
    ah right everything expensive is made of metal

18. Post #258
    December 2009
    7,092 Posts
    So I was at a photography / camera exhibition today, where I got to try both the 1Dx and the 5D Mk III

I put my CF card into the 1Dx and shot some photos, but Bridge doesn't like the RAW-files, so the only files I have are some jpeg-files with the ISO at 204800.

My 7D feels like a toy compared to the 1Dx, goddamnnnnnnn.

Please tell me you did high ISO shots with the 5Dm3 as well

19. Post #259
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts

I'll take twenty!

Edited:

(PS not really though)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

20. Post #260
    July 2010
    48 Posts
    Hey guys, I just wanted to update on my situation. I finally got the battery compartment to open! The baking soda solution didn't work because it was so old? I guess but it didn't work. So I used WD-40 sparingly and finally forced the damn compartment off. The damage isn't as bad as I thought. I cleaned up a lot of the mess however, the contacts are in a dire situation. They don't work anymore so when I put in batteries, nothing happens. Do you guys know how to fix that?

My dad's Nikon F4, it looked horrible when I found it, dry acid everywhere. But I cleaned it up quite nicely. The insides of the battery compartment... not as much.

And his glass. Not sure how great the IQ is when you use one of the lens since I don't have an operating Nikon SLR yet. But I shudder when I look at the 75-300mm glass... Cleaned the front and back elements of all of them.

Sorry if this sounds like a blog post, I'm new to these megathreads :/.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #261
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,094 Posts
    Please tell me you did high ISO shots with the 5Dm3 as well
    No they didn't let me put my memory card in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #262
    oh my god those lenses are incredibly sexy

You'll need some sort of electronics contact-cleaner for the battery contacts. You can probably get it at radioshack or similar, but be careful because that shit eats and ruins plastic and paint and stuff.
    Use a tiny bit, and rub it against the contacts with a cloth on a solid wire or something like that, scratching the acid and corrosion off the contacts. It's worked for me with some corroded battery contacts on an RC car, but never something as expensive or old as that, so you might want to get a second opinion from someone who repairs cameras.

If it doesn't work after you cleaned the contacts the leaks probably fucked up the inner electronics and then you'll have to take it to a shop I guess.
    Also find some pipe cleaners or some way to throughly clean the inside of the battery compartment.

There's some methods using baking soda and vinegar, never tried using either so I'm just linking them.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Battery...n-and-Build-Up
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5008404_remo...on-camera.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,453 Posts
    Alright, I just got a Canon 600D and several lenses.
    Cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #264
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    anyone got any experience of the manfrotto mkc3-h02?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #265
    March 2011
    631 Posts
    I'm after a new M42 camera preferably with built in metering
    So what is the best M42 camera?

Pentax Spotmatic (£25)
    Chinon CM-3 (£15)
    or any others?

Or should I get a Lubitel? (~£30)

26. Post #266
    July 2007
    612 Posts
    anyone got any experience of the manfrotto mkc3-h02?
    I don't have experience with it, but i would like to give my opinion on it.
    The head seems ok for lightweight cameras and camcorders as it is marketed, as the tripod will support a maximum of 1.5kg. (anything near that limit or just over it will make the tripod wobbly)
    For filming the panning function looks very handy, but i cannot help my feeling finding the head mounting plate small and not meant for DSLR's. (i could be wrong though) It more or less looks like a camcorder head and not that really meant for still photography.
    Also a quote from a review i found:
    "The grip is quite odd. While it's really good to control the movement when using a camera with an LCD viewing screen, your hand gets in the way when looking through a camera with a viewfinder such as the Pentax K5 SLR below. Switching to Liveview resolves this but you may prefer the optical approach."
    Manfrotto has another tripod of this series that is meant for photography, the MKC3-P02.
    That tripod has almost the same head but it also features a reversible center column (handy for low angle shooting). Just my 2 cents

Review is here: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ma...d-review-16664

Edited:

I'm after a new M42 camera preferably with built in metering
    So what is the best M42 camera?

Pentax Spotmatic (£25)
    Chinon CM-3 (£15)
    or any others?

Or should I get a Lubitel? (~£30)
    Pentax Spotmatic all the way.
    Voigtländer VSL-1 is also a good m42 camera (quite unknown one though, but i had one for some time and i really liked it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #267
    March 2011
    631 Posts
    Voigtländer's are rather rare here at best. So I had a look and there was no SLR's but there was plenty of folders and compact/rangefinders

And theres only one Pentax Spotmatic in my price range.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASAHI-PENT...#ht_500wt_1054
    Chinon CM-3
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3306958525...#ht_500wt_1287

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,801 Posts
    I have a spotmatic with me, it's a nice camera. Haven't used it yet (gotta get a battery) but i'm super excited when i can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

29. Post #269
    March 2011
    631 Posts
    I was going for the Spotmatic but I just liked the look of the Chinon a bit more.

30. Post #270
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

31. Post #271
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    I kinda hate the flash on my camera because it makes relatively hard shadows and doesn't really work for a big distance.
    What kind of flashes do you use / would you recommend?
    get a flash diffuser or bounce it off of something

Edited:

found this on google: http://www.digital-photography-schoo...n-camera-flash
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #272
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -

33. Post #273
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    Since I only have the built in flash I was asking for advice what kind of flashes you use because I think I don't get to far with the built in flash.
    I understand, I just think that you should make the best of what you have before you decide to invest in an external flash. if money is no issue then by all means look into getting one if you want.

what camera do you have?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #274
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -

35. Post #275
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,243 Posts
    Is the Canon 600D good for a starter photographer like me?

I'm making quite some pictures with my iPhone and the quality is good but yeah something like a SLR is of course far better then that.
    I can get it for 550 Euro
    (Rate agree if you think its a good choice)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #276
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    Is the Canon 600D good for a starter photographer like me?
    personally I would go for the T2i/550D. that's about 90 euros in savings that you can put toward a lens, a battery grip, or whatever else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

37. Post #277
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,798 Posts
    Sony alpha 55v
    Edited:
    I looked at some flashes on a swiss online shop and they have flashes in the price range from 80 CHF to 700 CHF.
    Rather than buying something that is just as good as my current flash or worse for cheap I would like to get something that is a good improvement but isn't exactly the thing with the highest pricetag
    Sony/Minolta invented a proprietary hotshoe that is not compatible with other companies. just do a search on ebay looking for a used one, just search something like "alpha hotshoe flash".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #278
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    237 Posts
    Where would be the best place to sell camera equipment (Well mainly a 550D + lenses) aside from the obvious eBay? Tried Gumtree but all responses so far are scammers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

39. Post #279
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    keh and fredmiranda are typical suggestions

40. Post #280
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    do the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Canon 85mm f/1.8 cover a good range for walk-arounds on an APS-C sensor camera? probably subjective but I'd just like to hear a couple of opinions