1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts
    I want that answer from a wp7 user who used android long enough:
    Are wp7 mobiles good enough or better than android in usuability and performance? And does it have good free apps?
    But at leasr: for average use( music + net) does it feel very slick and straightforward?
    As I haven't owned an Android device, I'll just answer the last thing. Yeah, it's incredibly slick and pretty straightforward. I might not have figured out everything, but without the use of a manual I've been able to figure out pretty much everything. I have some small quirks with the OS, but mostly I've had none. On a side note, I've noticed that I can fairly easily pull 3 days without a charge on my Radar. Pretty nice.

2. Post #42
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    I own an android tablet so I hope that suffices.

I prefer WP7 for usability tbh. Everything I need is just there and quick to load and seamlessly integrated so it's fast and functional. I didn't get it for the apps but there are a few apps that are free that can extend usability but most of the good games cost $$$. But aside from the appearance becoming stale quickly, it's about as slick and straightforward as it gets.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    Are wp7 mobiles good enough or better than android in usuability and performance? And does it have good free apps?
    But at leasr: for average use( music + net) does it feel very slick and straightforward?
    Usually only messed around with androids, never owned one so take it with a grain of salt.

Overall using the phone feels a lot smoother with WP7. So things like music etc tend to work really well. The native player as well browser feel much much better than anything I've used on android and the keyboard while being smaller seems easier to use for some reason.

A small annyoing bit is that for some of the stuff you need to go into settings - to turn wifi on and off for instance.

4. Post #44
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    Used HTC Desire for a year and a half before switching to the Lumia 800 so I didn't have the latest Android phone experience but I did have quite a lot (rooted on latest android version etc).

The phone is streets ahead in usability (I did and still do have problems with the keyboard though but I'm getting there, it's just changing from x to y that'll be a problem), and the performance in things like games etc feels very similar to the latest iPhone and latest android handsets you can buy. If you're after something for apps and games I wouldn't get a Windows Phone just yet. It's odd to go from a marketplace where you can find pretty much any app to one where the apps are only just starting to surface, but the windows phone is starting to get some more apps.

The one thing I don't like about the music app which is built into windows phone is there's no bloody scroller to go through songs, and you have to hold the next/back button to fast forward or rewind. But the browser is p.sleak and works well.

5. Post #45
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,584 Posts
    One thing I noticed in my time with WP7 is that all the included apps are great, fit in so seamlessly.
    However many apps from the marketplace just don't fit in right. Not polished enough, I guess?
    Though I was testing on an HD2, so don't take this very seriously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    I find the microsoft apps are the only good ones :P

For example, we just switched to Lync at work and the Lync app that they have works well enough

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2007
    4,307 Posts
    Is there much of a modding scene for WP7? Custom ROMs and the like? I know its limited by being closed source but still...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    There are some registry tweaks but it's a pain in the ass to unlock some phones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,610 Posts
    The easiest to unlock right now are the Omnia 7 and the Focus. just by visitng a website, just like jailbreak.me. There are also custom ROMs for HTC's and first gen samsung phones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Panama Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    Having had an Android phone for a year, and now I've had a WP7 device for the last 3 months

WP7 is consistently fast and very smooth. I really like it's music player (It's replaced my iPod now). Hands down beats android for music and speed (except the Galaxy S2, that's the only android phone I've seen which is as fast as WP7).

There aren't anywhere near as many applications for WP7 as there are for Android, and there aren't that many free games etc. If you absolutely must have loads of free applications then WP7 isn't ideal.

Basically;
    WP7 is faster, easier to use and has a better Music Player than android (including third party Music apps on the Android Market)
    Android has more applications in general and definitely more free applications than WP7.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,750 Posts
    There aren't anywhere near as many applications for WP7 as there are for Android, and there aren't that many free games etc. If you absolutely must have loads of free applications then WP7 isn't ideal.
    Now, I have no experience with Android, but I can say that the only apps I have are Adobe Reader (which I rarely use), and the Facepunch app that I'm working on with barttool.

I don't use my phone a lot as I'm usually near a PC anyway, but there's nothing that I would really need an app for, actually.

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    Having had an Android phone for a year, and now I've had a WP7 device for the last 3 months

WP7 is consistently fast and very smooth. I really like it's music player (It's replaced my iPod now). Hands down beats android for music and speed (except the Galaxy S2, that's the only android phone I've seen which is as fast as WP7).

Basically;
    WP7 is faster, easier to use and has a better Music Player than android (including third party Music apps on the Android Market)
    Android has more applications in general and definitely more free applications than WP7.
    To be honest even though they aren't as many free apps there's a giant load of apps that have very good demos which work fine and show no adds. So in some ways I prefer good demos, no adds and buyable full versions to everything being riddled with adds yet free.

13. Post #53
    December 2009
    28 Posts
    Is anyone else having problems with their 3G connection on AT&T? I tried a hard reset, soft reset, any sort of reset possible on the Samsung Focus (Mango). I first noticed it when trying to resync with Facebook in the Peoples Hub when it wouldn't refresh my notifications.
    Now, when I tried to resync my phone with my Live account, it cannot connect to it, yet when I turn on Wifi and try it, it syncs without a problem.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Also experiencing the issue when trying to sync with Outlook

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    4,808 Posts
    great vid on the lumia 800 here

blown away by the phones OS, i'm getting one soon

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    Just a shame a bunch of those features don't work everywhere sadly. For instance nokia music

16. Post #56
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    6,189 Posts
    Just a shame a bunch of those features don't work everywhere sadly. For instance nokia music
    Seriously? Well, damn.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    Seriously? Well, damn.
    Yeah my guess it's licensing. The same reason why the zune marketplace as well as bing music search is not yet available here.

- Cz, pretty much smackdown in central europe by the way.

18. Post #58
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    6,189 Posts
    Yeah my guess it's licensing. The same reason why the zune marketplace as well as bing music search is not yet available here.

- Cz, pretty much smackdown in central europe by the way.
    I always wonder why companies have region locking, and other things like that.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,974 Posts
    Prices vary in different countries

20. Post #60
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    copyright laws vary, labels might charge more for an international licence

21. Post #61
    SK17a
    October 2010
    14,069 Posts
    What? Microsoft has a mobile phone platform?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    What? Microsoft has a mobile phone platform?
    I can tell you're not very up to date
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    Where the hell have you been? Windows Mobile/Pocket PC has been in existence since 2000.

They just didn't appeal to the casual user until WP7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    Most services require licensing and most companies are protecting themselves from liability.

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    4,808 Posts
    I work at a local electronics store, and today we got some lumia 800s in

fired one up, holy shit that thing is so smooth and quick
    even though it only has a single core cpu, it's just as smooth as the more expensive iphones and android phones. dayumn good optimizing, windows

26. Post #66
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    6,189 Posts
    I work at a local electronics store, and today we got some lumia 800s in

fired one up, holy shit that thing is so smooth and quick
    even though it only has a single core cpu, it's just as smooth as the more expensive iphones and android phones. dayumn good optimizing, windows
    I'm not really sure if being dual core makes it better, except for multitasking and programs that make use of it.

But yes, Darn good optimization.

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    4,808 Posts
    Posting from lumia 800 now, just bought it:D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    Posting from lumia 800 now, just bought it:D
    Welcome to the club.

29. Post #69
    November 2008
    230 Posts
    there has been some leaks regarding the tango update.

link: http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2012/0...in-the-detail/

original (translated from russian): http://translate.google.com/translat...ngo%2F&act=url

apparently, you'll be able to import/export contacts to/from the SIM and some other new stuff.
    seriously can't wait as i really wanna start typing in my native language, which hopefully will be supported finally.

30. Post #70
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,548 Posts
    But you can already import contacts from your SIM card. It's been really handy for the times when my phone had to do a factory reset.

31. Post #71
    November 2008
    230 Posts
    But you can already import contacts from your SIM card. It's been really handy for the times when my phone had to do a factory reset.
    oddly enough, i have that option grayed out ever since i got the phone and was never able to use it. anyway, according to the leak you'll be able to export, import and completely manage the SIM contact list from the phone (if i understood it correctly).

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    oddly enough, i have that option grayed out ever since i got the phone and was never able to use it. anyway, according to the leak you'll be able to export, import and completely manage the SIM contact list from the phone (if i understood it correctly).
    Yeah as far as I can see, you can only import sim contacts. Not do anything else with them currently. So being able to load them in on it will be nice. Though I hope it will remember linking and group options as well.

33. Post #73
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    Of course, me being on Verizon... doesn't really help.

I have my contacts tied to my Windows Live account. The only reason my phone has a SIM is for international use at no extra charge

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    4,808 Posts
    how do i take screencaps with the lumia 800? is it even possible?

35. Post #75
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    I haven't found a way to take screenshots on my Trophy, so I don't think one exists.

36. Post #76
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    how do i take screencaps with the lumia 800? is it even possible?
    Not possible on WP7 unfortunately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,070 Posts
    you need a dev unlocked device. There's an app for it I think then.

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    FUCK I just bent the flap that hides the USB connection on my Lumia 800! I seem to remember in the reviews someone mentioned that Nokia would stock replacement ones, I wonder how hard it would be to change it

39. Post #79
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    My phone was in my pocket, with about 60% battery remaining. Just put it there after listening to music, which I had stopped.

Pull my phone out an hour later, it's REALLY warm, and is at 3% battery.

What the fuck?

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    Obviously you had an app that was still running in the background, not sure if WP7 has a battery monitor like Android