1. Post #321
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,762 Posts
    I fear if I purchase a windows phone 7 now I may not get thew wp8 update, oh god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #322
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,904 Posts
    I fear if I purchase a windows phone 7 now I may not get thew wp8 update, oh god
    I'm pretty sure all of us will get the update.

Just not 100% convinced we'll get all the features.

3. Post #323
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Writing from my brand new Lumia 800, any suggestions on what to download?

Edited:

How the flying flaming fuck do I add phone numbers without having to link them to any of my e-mails or Facebook? Do I like have to delete that information again?
    You can just add people without using either - just type the number, hit "save", hit the "+" symbol and make a new "person".

4. Post #324
    April 2009
    2,209 Posts
    You can just add people without using either - just type the number, hit "save", hit the "+" symbol and make a new "person".
    Nope, I HAVE to select an e-mail to associate that "person" with.

5. Post #325
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Nope, I HAVE to select an e-mail to associate that "person" with.
    Never had to do that.

6. Post #326
    April 2009
    2,209 Posts
    Well I do.

7. Post #327
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,904 Posts
    I do as well. When you enter a new person, it makes you select a service to save the person to.

8. Post #328
    April 2009
    2,209 Posts
    And I don't like that. :(

9. Post #329
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,900 Posts
    Writing from my brand new Lumia 800, any suggestions on what to download?

Edited:

How the flying flaming fuck do I add phone numbers without having to link them to any of my e-mails or Facebook? Do I like have to delete that information again?
    Well I had stuff on my simcard so it was easy. But just make a new contact in the people hub. Keeps the person as a windows live contact by default but that's about it. No stored emails, no anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #330
    Gold Member

August 2008
    2,905 Posts
    Yeah, it's just a title. I'm guessing it's for easy compatibility if you have a Windows Live account. It's pretty useful for those who need it, it seems.

11. Post #331
    April 2009
    2,209 Posts
    Well I had stuff on my simcard so it was easy. But just make a new contact in the people hub. Keeps the person as a windows live contact by default but that's about it. No stored emails, no anything.
    Yeah that's what I did, but I still find it annoying that I don't get any much of a choice.

12. Post #332
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,900 Posts
    Yeah that's what I did, but I still find it annoying that I don't get any much of a choice.
    I think it's done with future compatibility in mind. So that syncing contact books is going to be simpler in the future between phones. Since there's currently no save to simcard feature. At least as far as I know.

13. Post #333
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,900 Posts
    Open yea gates of trolls. http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/28/29...oid-comparison
    :D

The comments are hilarious

14. Post #334
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Open yea gates of trolls. http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/28/29...oid-comparison
    :D

The comments are hilarious
    TheVerge is really biased - he actually said that it's better than both Android and iOS UI wise. I don't get why they just pick out Android..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,900 Posts
    TheVerge is really biased - he actually said that it's better than both Android and iOS UI wise. I don't get why they just pick out Android..
    Yeah, but he still prefers an Iphone in general (at least according to himself)

16. Post #336
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Yeah, but he still prefers an Iphone in general (at least according to himself)
    I didn't say anything about that, but doesn't change that the verge (at least from what I've seen) isn't really the best site to convey much. Than again, what tech site is completely unbiased nowadays?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #337
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,504 Posts
    Yup, it's the same with the Galaxy S's screen. I don't see how people cannot see the problem with the text.
    See, people who criticize pentile displays are unable to ever put forth anything beyond anecdotal evidence saying "I see a difference and it's worse." In reality, from a normal viewing distance it's nearly indistinguishable from RGB stripe. Tell us something about why it's worse if it actually is worse.
    http://pentileblog.com/oled/fonts-co...pe-to-pentile/
    http://pentileblog.com/uncategorized...board-pattern/

Now yes, it has visible patterning up close. So does every display on the market, even the iPhone, the Optimus LTE HD, or the One X if you look real close. It's just this misconception that RGB stripe displays somehow render text perfectly with no patterning whatsoever. I'd put it right down to conformational bias when people claim there's a large perceivable difference between the two technologies, in addition to people judging displays with their eyes pressed right against the glass. And again I'd like to reiterate that the only people who are actually providing any legitimate evidence are the people who work for Nouvoyance. From detractors we have misinformation and doctored photographs. Bravo.
    http://pentileblog.com/misinformatio...grainy-effect/

Then we really have issues with people confusing sharpness and graininess. Sharpness is measured and perceived as modulation ratio. When you write a black and white line pair can you still see the difference between the white and the black and you must be able to measure 50% contrast modulation or more. Pentile displays have no difficulty exceeding 50% contrast modulation ratio to the full resolution of the panel in any direction. If-and again it's an if-the displays are in fact more grainy, that doesn't lead to it being less sharp, and it doesn't lead to any more artifacting when displaying text.

18. Post #338
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    I can't remember anyone making a fuss about it before Samsung released their non-pentile Super-AMOLED+ display.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #339
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,205 Posts
    Shit, help. My opinion is wrong.

What I'm trying to say is I find, on pentile screens, text looks like it's made of dots and it just doesn't like right. Regardless of the phone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #340
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,113 Posts

What I'm trying to say is I find, on pentile screens, text looks like it's made of dots and it just doesn't like right. Regardless of the phone.
    Every phone I've used which has Pentile looks fine to me, with the Lumia 800 looking better than fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts

No, your opinion isn't wrong, i'm just saying that I don't really notice, and then the above.

22. Post #342
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,900 Posts

I guess you might just be used to a different screen. I only notice the point if I stuff the screen right in front of my eyes. Not under normal use.

The only sort of ironic issue with the screen on the nokia that I have is in fact caused by it being AMOLED. :P

It's so black, that the letters almost shine and glow at night with no other light :P

23. Post #343
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,904 Posts
    Verizon needs to get more Windows Phones.

Just spent an hour rebooting my phone until it finally connected to 3G. Piece of shit.

24. Post #344
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    452 Posts
    I posted this on Reddit but I thought you guys may be interested as well.

My cousin works at Nokia and when I asked him about the upcoming WP8 update to their phones, I got this reply:
    I got the confirmation from our R&D colleague that Lumia 900 can update to Windows 8, but 800 can't.
    So yeah. Take what you will from that.

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    4,784 Posts

My cousin works at Nokia and when I asked him about the upcoming WP8 update to their phones, I got this reply:

that makes no sense, they have exactly the same specs, apart from the front camera
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #346
    June 2007
    7,113 Posts

If that was true I would personally go over to Nokia, remove pants of one employee and put it so far up their rectum that the curved glass would lay gently against their stomach walls. In front of everyone (including their family).

But I don't think they would be that dumb to not do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #347
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,504 Posts

Ridiculous. The only hardware differences are the battery capacity and the 900 having the front facing camera and LTE radio. Unless the WP8 UI is going to be run by some sort of eye tracking technology through the front cam there is absolutely no logical reason why one would get the update and not the other. This "R&D employee" seems to know as much about the logic of updates as the janitors who clean the Nokia offices.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #348
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,602 Posts
    So, today I managed to set up my Florida State University email address and I was able to register to Apphub through dreamspark! This is so awesome! I can now publish apps to the marketplace!

29. Post #349
    November 2009
    1,813 Posts
    Ridiculous. The only hardware differences are the battery capacity and the 900 having the front facing camera and LTE radio. Unless the WP8 UI is going to be run by some sort of eye tracking technology through the front cam there is absolutely no logical reason why one would get the update and not the other. This "R&D employee" seems to know as much about the logic of updates as the janitors who clean the Nokia offices.
    Windows Kinect Phone 8! You ARE the touchscreen!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #350
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Windows Kinect Phone 8! You ARE the touchscreen!
    "Wanna try out my homescreen?"

31. Post #351
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,602 Posts
    "Your Cock is The Controller!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Panama Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #352
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    "Your Cock is The Controller!"
    I can imagine the games this will spawn.

33. Post #353
    May 2011
    575 Posts
    Is there any possibility of the 900 coming to sprint? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

34. Post #354
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,504 Posts
    Is there any possibility of the 900 coming to sprint? Sorry if this has been discussed before.
    Doubt it. Nokia doesn't look like they'll waste their time making devices for ageing CDMA networks, and even if the bands are compatible it'll be old by the time Sprint gets their LTE network up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    452 Posts
    In case you guys are still interested, I sent him this reply a couple days ago:

But don't the 800 and 900 share very similar hardware? Or is LTE a requirement now?
    And got this back today:

Similar but not the same. Further, 800 is the first product decided for Windows 7.5. Seems R&D has no plan to develop the win8 version for it.

36. Post #356
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Might be getting a Lumia 900 later today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,900 Posts

And got this back today:
    I doubt it. The internals are actually pretty much the same. He's probably pulling this out of his ass.

38. Post #358
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,504 Posts

And got this back today:
    No actually it is basically the same, your friend knows nothing about the phones he supposedly works with. If he actually knew how nearly identical the hardware is he would realize how ridiculous he sounds. The differences are nothing that could impair OS function, because it's a front facing camera and an LTE radio for differences with internals. Neither of those will affect if the OS can run.

Edited:

I mean, if this were Android where updates aren't regulated, this sounds completely likely. Only the flagship getting updates makes sense there, but Microsoft isn't going to risk their OS's survival by introducing fragmentation. Especially on devices released not even a year before the update.

39. Post #359
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Even though this video is corny, and it's not strictly tied to WP7, I hope we'll see this on a WP7/8 device in the future (even though I don't carry that hate for Symbian Belle that everyone does):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FU7s--KkPGQ
    Supposedly the whole thing was filmed with a Nokia 808 and not just the end scene, though I can't get it confirmed. Classic Nokia promotional anyhow.

40. Post #360
    June 2007
    7,113 Posts
    Feed me Oil is a p.neat little game, feels like world of goo but in reverse and has neat water physics. Offers a nice challenge for just 80pence too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)