1. Post #361
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    My friend is cheap and just bought a Samsung flash (For $1). I haven't seen it yet, but I'm excited to.

2. Post #362
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,600 Posts
    BTW, if you guys haven't noticed already, you can now send Facebook AND WLM messages to your contacts even if they're offline. It'll still nag you about the contact being offline, but it will effectively deliver the message. No software update needed. Neat.

3. Post #363
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,884 Posts
    Aren't WLM contacts messages just normal sms messages. I can't actually send to messenger contacts from inside as far as I know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #364
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    Does anybody have any news on when Tango will get released for other phones? It'd be nice to get a few bug fixes on my phone, Whatsapp has been hard-crashing (restart) like mad recently.

I've got an LG Optimus

5. Post #365
    ~ an extraordinary gentleman ~
    December 2006
    1,353 Posts
    Just ordered the Nokia Lumia 900. Can't wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,721 Posts
    any release dates for Lumia 900 in Australia?

Hopefully not taken control of by telstra seeing as they love the 4g network

7. Post #367
    June 2010
    2,447 Posts
    Does anyone know when you'll be able to get the Lumia 900 on contract directly from Orange?

8. Post #368
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,476 Posts
    any release dates for Lumia 900 in Australia?

Hopefully not taken control of by telstra seeing as they love the 4g network
    Telstra has no clue if they're getting it. I was in a telstra store today and they only had the Lumia 800 and Samsung Focus W, I wanted to ask if they had more, but that would mean talking to someone who works there.

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    My Lumia 900 came in the mail today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,653 Posts
    Even though it isn't thoroughly incredible, this report paints a picture that differs from the "no one buys WP7 mentality": http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/k...anks-to-nokia/

11. Post #371
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,901 Posts
    I've seen a good amount of Windows Phones around Denver.

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,501 Posts
    I'm sure phones like the 610 and 710 will also boost market share by targeting lower end markets and poorer countries where the Blackberry still seems to rule in terms of affordable smartphones.

13. Post #373
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,901 Posts
    It's really weird

Everywhere on campus, EVERY middle-easterner has a blackberry

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,501 Posts
    It's really weird

Everywhere on campus, EVERY middle-easterner has a blackberry

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
    Here in Kitchener it's like everyone has a Blackberry, maybe it's to try and keep RIM alive. The carriers here offer the lower end blackberries like the curve fully subsidized on a non data plan and they throw in BBM and such for $2 so people who don't want feature phones go with Blackberries.

15. Post #375
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,433 Posts
    i haven't seen a single WP7 user in real life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

16. Post #376
    September 2007
    584 Posts
    Excluding myself, I've seen one, from a distance, on a bus and I'm not even 100% sure.
    Hell, I haven't even seen a WP7 in a shop.

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,653 Posts
    I personally know 2 other persosn with WP7, and I see them a few times a week on the bus.

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Me my mum, dad and brother have Windows Phones but other than them I have yet to see one in the wild.

19. Post #379
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,884 Posts
    I've seen a few on the subway.

20. Post #380
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,901 Posts
    You see more where there are technically inclined people. In my office there are 3 or so out of 20 technical people. I saw a good amount at a scifi convention. Et cetera

21. Post #381
    April 2009
    2,208 Posts
    I have met one person who owns a WP7. He envied my Lumia 800.

22. Post #382
    June 2010
    2,447 Posts
    Just found out my contract doesn't actually end until August. I thought it was June.

Looks like I'm waiting a while for my Lumia 900.

FUCK.

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,653 Posts
    Just found out my contract doesn't actually end until August. I thought it was June.

Looks like I'm waiting a while for my Lumia 900.

FUCK.
    Might as well hold out for WP8. At least nearly.

24. Post #384
    June 2010
    2,447 Posts
    Might as well hold out for WP8. At least nearly.
    Depends on what they announce before then, I guess.

If they say old handsets will get the update, I would go for a Lumia 900 rather than wait.

25. Post #385
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,476 Posts
    Lumia 900 is coming to Australia in June... the only downside is that it's exclusive to Optus. But you can still buy it from retailers for $699.

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/digi...K8nu8ddC9HWaOM

26. Post #386
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,721 Posts
    Lumia 900 is coming to Australia in June... the only downside is that it's exclusive to Optus. But you can still buy it from retailers for $699.

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/digi...K8nu8ddC9HWaOM
    I'm on Optus and their reception is shockers but I may go with them, depending on their plan

27. Post #387
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,476 Posts
    I guess it would be on one of those $80 a month plan for 24months.

28. Post #388
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,653 Posts
    I honestly wouldn't like that, I think. I'm generally open to UI changes, but this wouldn't make sense, vertical scrolling is easier than horizontal on portrait mode phones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #390
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    I'd rather they kept the WP7 theme as it is. Though perhaps allowing custom backgrounds would silence some critics.

What I am looking forward to is some really basic features which they still haven't allowed;
    Wi-Fi used in background so we can receive push notifications in a timely fashion even when not on cellular data (This was confirmed by Microsoft I believe.. I can't remember where I read it though)
    (Hopefully) Native applications so platforms such as Marmalade can bring their apps easily over to WP7(8).
    Hopefully also improved battery life, my current phone's battery life sucks - I have to carry two batteries.

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    I honestly wouldn't like that, I think. I'm generally open to UI changes, but this wouldn't make sense, vertical scrolling is easier than horizontal on portrait mode phones.
    I'd be happy with just the background patterns and the groups to be honest. Would like to see some form of that though. With vertical scrolling of course.

If there were groups though I would like it to if you tapped a group name it would show a vertical list of all groups so you could go straight to one if you have a lot of tiles on the screen. Sort of like how the lists work in Zune/People by tapping on of the letters.

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,653 Posts
    I'd be happy with just the background patterns and the groups to be honest. Would like to see some form of that though. With vertical scrolling of course.
    Groups could be cool, though they may not be as useful vertically and with such little screen estate, and I could understand why people might want the patterns. I find it cool with just the black background, but options are/should be there to satisfy everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #393
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,113 Posts
    Companies need to give a choice of these kind of things, like you can just go to the menu and change it. I wouldn't mind trying out that UI, but I really like the UI as it is, I don't want one or the other, I want one and the other .

34. Post #394
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,600 Posts

ugh, this shit looks so fucking awful. And it's probably going to be the future of Windows Phone logo. I don't know why for windows 8 they couldn't go with the regular flag shape and plast a square on it and be done with it. Shitties logo refresh ever, imo.

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,653 Posts

ugh, this shit looks so fucking awful. And it's probably going to be the future of Windows Phone logo. I don't know why for windows 8 they couldn't go with the regular flag shape and plast a square on it and be done with it. Shitties logo refresh ever, imo.
    "Regular flag shape" - I'm down with the fact that I don't find it an improvement, but it does kinda make sense it not being a flag, but, peculiar as it may be, a window.

And who made that the official logo? Wait for the actual refresh before complaining, or go to the Windows 8 thread.

36. Post #396
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,433 Posts
    I actually kinda like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,600 Posts
    "Regular flag shape" - I'm down with the fact that I don't find it an improvement, but it does kinda make sense it not being a flag, but, peculiar as it may be, a window.

And who made that the official logo? Wait for the actual refresh before complaining, or go to the Windows 8 thread.
    It would make sense it was a windows instead of a "flag" if it wasn't for the fact that the windows flag brand has exised for more than two decades and its a globally recognized brand.

the windows phone flag logo is a nice looking transition from aero to metro and by simply giving it the regular windows colors it would be a clear enough statement of the new look of windows 8 without losing the familiarity of the Windows flag logo.

38. Post #398
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,653 Posts
    It would make sense it was a windows instead of a "flag" if it wasn't for the fact that the windows flag brand has exised for more than two decades and its a globally recognized brand.

the windows phone flag logo is a nice looking transition from aero to metro and by simply giving it the regular windows colors it would be a clear enough statement of the new look of windows 8 without losing the familiarity of the Windows flag logo.
    I agree completely. I'm just saying it sort of makes sense, not that it's a good thing.

39. Post #399
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,901 Posts
    i think consistency is key and changing their logo so drastically would make them lose out of brand recognition

also my phone's home button would be outdated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #400
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,884 Posts
    What I'd personally prefer is to keep the current UI more or less. But add a swipe Left to a notification center of sorts.

You could have quick setting like Wifi, data services in there. As well a better writeup of the various notification toasts.

So that would give you

Home - standard live tiles
    Swipe Right - applist as it currently is
    Swipe left - notification center
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)