1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    4,803 Posts
    I've never been into the gaming sector of phones, I use phones for texting, calling and social networking.. Oh and taking pictures of me and my friends.
    WP does these things brilliantly
    Social networks are integrated into the OS really nicely, and you can add a ton of accounts
    And it's better optimized than iOS, really quick on the single core CPU in my lumia 800
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

2. Post #202
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts
    hey guys I'm confused, I'm approaching this time where my old android is dying and I need to find another phone. My mind has been stuck on WP7 for quite sometime but I want an iPhone egh it's so hard to decide.

Can you give me some reasons like why an Android user like me should purchase a WP7 phone?
    price (cheaper wp7phones perform more or less as well as the more expensive ones for a fraction of the cost)
    New OS
    Less fragmentation on the marketplace as opposed to android
    a very cool UI

Honestly the major difference between all 3 systems is the UI than anything else. You can't really bring anything totally new in the feature set.

With android having the most customisable one, but also the most laggy.

Ios has a UI that's basically just an desktop with icons

Wp7 has a fairly new well designed UI centered around content.

3. Post #203
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,076 Posts
    Windows Phone puts an emphasis on social networking and easy contact while iOS focuses more on design and apps.

A lot of what Windows Phone does well iOS does well too, it's just social networking is mostly apps while navigating WP7 is a lot more fluid

4. Post #204
    September 2007
    625 Posts
    The one thing I dislike about WP7 so far is how they only accept credit cards so I can't buy apps.

5. Post #205
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    The lumia 800 screen to me is beautiful, flows so well with the black screen design making it hard on the app drawer to see where the apps go as the body and screen flow brilliantly into eachother. Perhaps it's just because I've had more time to love it (I'm on it right now) and frankly I just find everything inspiring with the design and OS and I love it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/sim-free-...900-p33804.htm
    Release Date: 09/04/2012.
    Why is everywhere different?!?!

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts
    probaly grayware - non supported import

8. Post #208
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,144 Posts
    WP does these things brilliantly
    Social networks are integrated into the OS really nicely, and you can add a ton of accounts
    And it's better optimized than iOS, really quick on the single core CPU in my lumia 800
    That's why I'm thinking of getting it because I'm impressed by the UI, I'm also loving the metro UI so

9. Post #209
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,534 Posts
    The one thing I dislike about WP7 so far is how they only accept credit cards so I can't buy apps.
    When I have 3G turned on, I can buy apps and just have it charged to my bill.

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,557 Posts
    The lumia 800 screen to me is beautiful, flows so well with the black screen design making it hard on the app drawer to see where the apps go as the body and screen flow brilliantly into eachother. Perhaps it's just because I've had more time to love it (I'm on it right now) and frankly I just find everything inspiring with the design and OS and I love it.
    Perhaps the UI will look fine, but text rendered on an RGBG panel simply isn't up to par with RGB or even RGBW ones. I had to deal with it on my Galaxy S and if I get a WP7 device it won't be a Samsung Focus Flash or Lumia 800.

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts
    When I have 3G turned on, I can buy apps and just have it charged to my bill.
    Only happens on some operators. One in germany I think and some in the US.

12. Post #212
    September 2007
    625 Posts
    Only happens on some operators. One in germany I think and some in the US.
    Well I'm in Australia so it's an obvious no.

13. Post #213
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    I was contemplating on getting the Lumia 900, but I really would like a higher resolution screen and better camera. Is there any Windows Phones coming out that will edge out the Lumia 900 in those respects, soon?

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts
    Not untill Apollo as far as I know

15. Post #215
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,534 Posts
    Well I'm in Australia so it's an obvious no.
    I'm in Australia and I'm with Telstra.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #216
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,144 Posts
    Is the camera on the Lumia 900 decent? Reviews said that both cameras weren't up to scratch but as long as they're like the iPod 4g/iPad 2 cameras I don't care.

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts
    They're supposedly decent but seem to have a small software bug in lowlight making them not as goof in it. At least so I've been told

18. Post #218
    May 2008
    898 Posts

Designing a bit more of the Steam WP7 application, anybody here got any feedback?

The basic idea with the application is that I'd put it on the Marketplace for 0.99 with an unlimited trial (so purchasing is optional, but preferable!) and I would also put a link to the source code in the application, since obviously security is pretty important here.

(Crosspost from WAYWO, sorry if you read both)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

19. Post #219
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,144 Posts

Designing a bit more of the Steam WP7 application, anybody here got any feedback?

The basic idea with the application is that I'd put it on the Marketplace for 0.99 with an unlimited trial (so purchasing is optional, but preferable!) and I would also put a link to the source code in the application, since obviously security is pretty important here.

That is one super sexy design, have a winner

20. Post #220
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    Does that green colour change depending on the colour accent set?

21. Post #221
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    Does that green colour change depending on the colour accent set?
    Yep, I don't know how the Messaging Application gets the darker accent colour, so I just did 50% opacity. If you could help with that, that'd be great

22. Post #222
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Not untill Apollo as far as I know
    I have to wait for Apollo for 720p res screens? :(

23. Post #223
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    Yep, I don't know how the Messaging Application gets the darker accent colour, so I just did 50% opacity. If you could help with that, that'd be great
    That's actually how it gets it, I think. I think I saw something like that in the registry lines. Let me check.

Edited:

I have to wait for Apollo for 720p res screens? :(
    I really see no big deal about the screens, my phone looks amazing with its 4 inch screen 480x800 resolution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #224
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    That's actually how it gets it, I think. I think I saw something like that in the registry lines. Let me check.

Edited:

I really see no big deal about the screens, my phone looks amazing with its 4 inch screen 400x800 resolution.
    It's just disappointing since it is starting to become standard, especially in the android market.

25. Post #225
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    It's just disappointing since it is starting to become standard, especially in the android market.
    Some of these phones might be high resolution, but they still don't look that great. I really like my phone screen and that's "just" 480x800 as well.

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts

If you make it paid I'd personally remove the logos in the very least. Looks awesome otherwise.

I assume it will be using the default selected theme right? So toggling between light and dark is possible.

As a suggestion though - I'd make a swipe to right to groups.

27. Post #227
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    If you make it paid I'd personally remove the logos in the very least. Looks awesome otherwise.

I assume it will be using the default selected theme right? So toggling between light and dark is possible.

As a suggestion though - I'd make a swipe to right to groups.
    Yeah it's designed to adjust to the theme. I'll see how the light theme works with it though, it might look weird - in which case I'll disable it, a bit like how twitter disables the dark theme.

I think I'll email Valve when it's ready and see what they say. I'm happy for them to take over it if they want. Ideally with some form of compensation.. At the end of the day I think I am being pretty reasonable, the 99p can be seen as a donation, and I think I'm doing my best to preserve the Steam brand. I'm obviously not going to release it if it's crashing all the time etc.
    The only issue I foresee is if Valve wanted to release Steam on mobiles to compete as another market, since that obviously wouldn't work with a third-party application.

28. Post #228
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    So I heard that Verizon is going to get an Apollo Nokia device.

Apparently it's going to be 1280x720 resolution screen with Snapdragon S4 Pro, and a 12 MP camera utilizing the Pureview technology that they showed off at MWC.

Oh, and the screen will be using the Clearblack technology in all their phones as before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

29. Post #229
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    With some of the big changes coming with Apollo, I'm just going to wait for the first Apollo phones to upgrade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #230
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Rumor has it that Kinect is going to be built in and shipped with Windows Apollo phones. That'll be interesting if that turns out to be true.

http://www.slashgear.com/kinect-on-w...line-10222319/

31. Post #231
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    Rumor has it that Kinect is going to be built in and shipped with Windows Apollo phones. That'll be interesting if that turns out to be true.

http://www.slashgear.com/kinect-on-w...line-10222319/
    Doesn't really look like Kinect itself, just more motion tracking with a devices camera. To have an actual Kinect kind of technology in the phone would just munch battery and processing power and would ultimately be entirely useless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts
    They already demoed it actually.

33. Post #233
    September 2007
    625 Posts
    Cross post WAYWO/WP7 Thread

Well, I got myself an app-hub student account via my uni and now I'm making a few simple apps.
    I'm currently porting my "pong" clone, but I'm losing interest due to it being only for me.

And hence to get me to actually finish a project for once, I ask you guys to motivate me by picking one of my simple XNA games to port to my windows phone as a simple test.
    That way, I'm not making it for me, but you guys.

Links are screenshots of their XNA versions
    : Pong (PC) (WP7)
    : Asteroids
    : Minesweeper
    : Particles
    : Fireworks
    : If you have any other ideas for simple games you want on the WP7 network, pm me and if you want post it here.

Keep in mind these are simple projects as I'm pretty bad at programming
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #234
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,850 Posts
    The astoroids thing looks like it could be fun. The pong suff doesn't very pong like, so i think you're making it sound more broing than it is. I don't know whether there's any decent (or at all) particle games, yet.

35. Post #235
    September 2007
    625 Posts
    The pong suff doesn't very pong like, so i think you're making it sound more broing than it is.
    I posted the pong thing a while back.

36. Post #236
    September 2007
    625 Posts
    Well, I ported my fireworks game/app/thing to wp7 as it got the most votes. Problem is unless trails are disabled, it has a horrible framerate on my focus flash.

So should I just make it an option in a menu?

With/Without trails (Obviously not same state):

Edited:

Problem solved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #237
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    if it has horrible lag on your second generation phone, what could be said about us with first gen. phones?

38. Post #238
    September 2007
    625 Posts
    if it has horrible lag on your second generation phone, what could be said about us with first gen. phones?
    It shouldn't lag anymore, using some ~magic~ to make it run better.

Well, it still lags if you spam fireworks though.

39. Post #239
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    can I have the .xap? You know, for testing purposes...

40. Post #240
    September 2007
    625 Posts
    can I have the .xap? You know, for testing purposes...
    Sure mate, not sure if this is the right xap but here: http://dl.hruhf.in/Fireworks.xap

Chances are it'll run poorly. Also most of the pause menu does nothing right now and it looks like balls.
    Only exit works.