1. Post #1041
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    do you think the stock bushings need to be replaced urgently?
    No way, the stock bear bushings are actually pretty good. Eventually though I'd look into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1042
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    Got 360 shuvits yesterday. Fun stuff.

3. Post #1043
    Dennab
    April 2012
    48 Posts
    I got my heelside 180's and toeside 180's down :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

4. Post #1044
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,558 Posts
    Think I'm gonna get an Earthwing Miniglider, anyone recommend me a setup?

Want it for commuting, freeride and carving. Topography is generally low hills, sometimes big ones. Surfaces are gonna be pavement/paths of all kinds and roads, from smooth to kinda rough.

Looked around and come up with this so far:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

5. Post #1045
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Think I'm gonna get an Earthwing Miniglider, anyone recommend me a setup?

Want it for commuting, freeride and carving. Topography is generally low hills, sometimes big ones. Surfaces are gonna be pavement/paths of all kinds and roads, from smooth to kinda rough.

Looked around and come up with this so far:

Looks like a fun ride man. Personally I'd ditch the Otang wheels for Venom or Abec.

Edited:

We're about to break 30k views.

6. Post #1046
    NYES SSSS SSSS
    June 2007
    3,428 Posts
    Height: 5' 5"
    Weight: ~180
    Preferred Style: Freeride, Commuting, and Carving
    Topography of where you plan to skate: Some medium hills, rough sidewalks and roads with a lot of patches.
    Budget: Under $200
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

7. Post #1047
    Sometimes I put my nose in my dog's butt and I furiously squeeze his belly until he farts.
    May 2009
    2,370 Posts
    Hey, I was thinking about getting a Longboard, but I need a bit of help.

I'm looking for a board that's more rigid than bendy, and is good for about 5-10 minute commutes but up to 25-30 minute ones and will function well in a more suburban environment. The area would be mostly flat but some big hills every once in a while. Thanks for the help.
    Just reposting this for the new page. Any help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

8. Post #1048
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Just reposting this for the new page. Any help?
    Have fun, buddy.

9. Post #1049
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts

10. Post #1050
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,478 Posts
    I recently tried longboarding after wanting to get into it a few months back. Probably the most fun I've ever had. My friend let me borrow one of his boards and we went to a parking lot so I could get the hang of it. After about twenty or so minutes we went to my first hill. It wasn't too steep, I probably got to maybe 20-25 mph. Pretty steady for my first hill, only a few wobbles here and there. After I did that hill a few times we then went to a much steeper hill. I think I only got to 25-30 mph because I had my friend slow me down some as I started to get a little shaky when I got faster. Before we called it a night he asked me if I wanted to do an even steeper hill. I try not to pass up opportunities so I agreed. It took us about 10 minutes to get to the next spot. On the way there my buddy was sharing stories about him and his friends tumbling and eating asphalt when they first tried this hill. I'm not going to lie, I was definitely getting nervous by the way he was talking about it. This hill actually looked shallower than the previous two but he told me not to worry, it gets 'better'. About a quarter way down I think I hit a top speed of around 35-40 after recovering from my fourth really scary wobble. It took maybe 2 minutes for the whole ride but it seemed much longer. I'm surprised I didn't piss myself in fear as I was speed wobbling the whole way. Call it divine intervention, beginners luck or whatever but I didn't smear myself all over that hill. I felt like a million bucks and I'm going to be buying my own board soon. Any suggestions?

11. Post #1051
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Picking up a Landyachtz Peacemaker tomorrow. Let the games begin.

12. Post #1052
    October 2011
    177 Posts
    Quick question ; I have the Landyachtz: 70mm Mini Monster Hawg 80a wheels and I would like to know if once I break them in enough will I be able to slide on them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

13. Post #1053
    July 2012
    1,443 Posts
    Quick question ; I have the Landyachtz: 70mm Mini Monster Hawg 80a wheels and I would like to know if once I break them in enough will I be able to slide on them?
    You pretty much have to slide them to break them in, and you can slide any wheel basically.

14. Post #1054
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,478 Posts
    Those are such great looking boards I ended up buying one! Ended up with a custom Maestro and I can't wait until it gets here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #1055
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Those are such great looking boards I ended up buying one! Ended up with a custom Maestro and I can't wait until it gets here.
    Congrats! Tell me how you like it. I've ridden several Maestros and always liked the front end camber. It'll feel weird at first, there really is no longboard like it, but it's a lot of fun to push on.

16. Post #1056
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,478 Posts
    Congrats! Tell me how you like it. I've ridden several Maestros and always liked the front end camber. It'll feel weird at first, there really is no longboard like it, but it's a lot of fun to push on.
    I really like cruising and carving at a decent speed so I figured from the description that the maestro would be just right. I love the custom colors and designs you could get on them.

17. Post #1057
    July 2012
    1,443 Posts
    I've ridden and EQ and an Ibach, both very nice looking and feeling boards.

18. Post #1058
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Speaking as an owner of an EQ and a Robot, I can say that Bustin makes some very nice decks. Probably some of the best on the market.

I must add, though, that Landyachtz made something perfect in the Peacemaker. It's incredible. I don't think I've ever had quite as much fun with a board.

19. Post #1059
    July 2012
    1,443 Posts
    I've ridden an Evo, it felt so weird lol.

20. Post #1060
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    We don't speak of the Evo.

Edited:

Well, I don't speak of the Evo.

21. Post #1061
    October 2011
    177 Posts
    You pretty much have to slide them to break them in, and you can slide any wheel basically.
    thanks guy

22. Post #1062
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    I've ridden an Evo, it felt so weird lol.
    Most people set them up really terribly. Its a really solid racing board but besides that, its not really for the average rider.

Edited:

Picking up a Landyachtz Peacemaker tomorrow. Let the games begin.
    Commence ollies at once

23. Post #1063
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    I tried lifting my weight off my back foot and still no dice. I'm never gonna be able to do heelsides.

24. Post #1064
    July 2012
    1,443 Posts
    Most people set them up really terribly. Its a really solid racing board but besides that, its not really for the average rider.

Edited:

Commence ollies at once
    I think the one I rode had like, Paris 195s on it, it was a pretty bad setup.

25. Post #1065
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Commence ollies at once
    Working on it, haha. I'm running the outer wheelbase (24" or so, I think), and 80a Baluts, so the going is rough. I could never get ollies on my shortboard, so I'm hoping to get them this time around.

E-grabs to complement, of course.

Edited:

Evos can be really effective push decks and, if specced right, downhill boards, but...eh, they're a bit of a niche, for me.

26. Post #1066
    February 2011
    2,113 Posts
    I bombed a hill at up to 40mph the first time I rode a longboard
    The amount of people that seriously overestimate their riding speed is ridiculous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1067
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    597 Posts
    I need some help picking a longboard. The first one I got was a '07 Dervish and I am pretty ready to buy
    another. I was hoping to get into freeriding (like just about everyone else these days) and the Dervish
    just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Another thing I am looking at is getting a board with kicks to help with
    manuals. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations, I am looking for a deck. I am already
    looking at Original's new Drop Freeride 41 but was wondering if there are any other boards that can
    offer what it has in a better way?

28. Post #1068
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    I tried lifting my weight off my back foot and still no dice. I'm never gonna be able to do heelsides.
    Don't worry man, you'll get it eventually. Just don't give up, it took me a whole week to get my first heelside 180.

Edited:

The amount of people that seriously overestimate their riding speed is ridiculous
    Very true, 40mph is really hard to achieve unless your tucking. He was probably going 25-30mph.

Edited:

I need some help picking a longboard. The first one I got was a '07 Dervish and I am pretty ready to buy
    another. I was hoping to get into freeriding (like just about everyone else these days) and the Dervish
    just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Another thing I am looking at is getting a board with kicks to help with
    manuals. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations, I am looking for a deck. I am already
    looking at Original's new Drop Freeride 41 but was wondering if there are any other boards that can
    offer what it has in a better way?
    Unfortunately I am not very versed in double dick freeride decks these days but from what I've seen. The Original beast/whatever its called is their most solid deck.

29. Post #1069
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,478 Posts
    I'm so sorry I can't guestimate my speed correctly.

30. Post #1070
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #1071
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,478 Posts
    Time to bust out the neosporin and alcohol swabs!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #1072
    [h2]AND MY ACKSH[/h2]
    June 2009
    3,967 Posts
    Height: 5' 8"
    Weight: 115
    Preferred Style: Pretty much just cruising around, something to get from place to place quicker.
    Topography of where you plan to skate: Very very hilly, rough sidewalks, good amount of traffic.
    Budget: ~$400

(note: i've never longboarded before)

33. Post #1073
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    A few weeks ago I picked up a shitty knockaround, surf shop board. This one specifically:

Nothing special really, I bought it just to be able to throw it around and learn a few tricks. I was riding it today with a friend, and I really like the deck, but all the hardware sucks. So far, I've gotten halfway through a Ghostride Kickflip, and a Shuvit.

I want to keep the deck but eventually upgrade the hardware, can anyone recommend some really lightweight trucks? They seem to be the heaviest thing on the board, to the point where it becomes annoying how much momentum it has when I'm flying through a kickflip.

34. Post #1074
    October 2011
    177 Posts
    Anyone got any advice for me with sliding? I'm a regular but I feel a lot more comfortable trying a toe side slide then a heel side one. Also, when I initiate a toe side slide I feel like its just my back wheels moving and my front ones are just pivoting leaving me pretty much where I started.

35. Post #1075
    July 2012
    1,443 Posts
    That's normal for most people, just slide more. You'll get all your wheels moving eventually, and after a few nice bails you'll get into heels and toes.

36. Post #1076
    October 2011
    177 Posts
    That's normal for most people, just slide more. You'll get all your wheels moving eventually, and after a few nice bails you'll get into heels and toes.
    about to go on a night time ride with a buddy. Gonna hit a pretty steep hill. Il bring pads and a helmet for safety but what do you think would be a good speed to initiate the slide?

thanks btw

37. Post #1077
    July 2012
    1,443 Posts
    As fast as you can go, a rule of thumb most people go by is 'fast enough to make you a little scared, then a little bit faster'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #1078
    Why so Sirius?
    April 2009
    1,798 Posts
    As fast as you can go, a rule of thumb most people go by is 'fast enough to make you a little scared, then a little bit faster'.
    oh dear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1079
    Sometimes i fall down :(
    July 2008
    3,202 Posts
    when my board starts to wobble, I get scared a bit

40. Post #1080
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,478 Posts
    Does anyone have and advice on footbraking? Every time I try my foot never slides on the ground it usually just grips too much, is footbraking dependent on the type of shoes you're wearing?