1. Post #841
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    Skating today, lady got upset for skating in the road, basically explained how she owned the road when really its the city's, funny enough she explained how she was ice skating and she fell and lost all her teeth and pulled out her fake teeth and waved it at us,
    she called the cops, my friend called his mommy,
    man can his mom whoop ass, she was just droppen bombs all over that lady's ass
    owned her ass

arm is really weak from being outside the cast, working on toesides as soon as i can though, i usually go in slide for 5ish feet but then stop at 90 degrees
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #842
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    Skating today, lady got upset for skating in the road, basically explained how she owned the road when really its the city's, funny enough she explained how she was ice skating and she fell and lost all her teeth and pulled out her fake teeth and waved it at us,
    she called the cops, my friend called his mommy,
    man can his mom whoop ass, she was just droppen bombs all over that lady's ass
    owned her ass

arm is really weak from being outside the cast, working on toesides as soon as i can though, i usually go in slide for 5ish feet but then stop at 90 degrees
    The law usually is "yield to pedestrians" in amuurica. I would know, I just got my learner's permit.

3. Post #843
    June 2011
    3,336 Posts
    Are home made sliding gloves generally discouraged?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #844
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Are home made sliding gloves generally discouraged?
    No sir. I would reccommend your first pair being home made. BUT! The best way to do it is to go buy mechanics gloves or gardening gloves than buy real pucks. They're lighter and easier to use, delrin tiles are cheap and easy to get but trust me its so much nicer when you use some black velvet pucks, dark speeds, ojooms, or holesome pucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #845
    June 2011
    3,336 Posts
    Thanks, but I heard that you could just use plastic chopping boards instead of pucks? I'm guessing it'd be cheaper too

6. Post #846
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,613 Posts
    I made a pair with a cutting board and some gardening gloves. They work fine but they are too warm to wear constantly.

I lost my sector 9 gloves, so I'm glad I made them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #847
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Thanks, but I heard that you could just use plastic chopping boards instead of pucks? I'm guessing it'd be cheaper too
    You can but just spend the $10 on some real pucks. They slide better, are lighter, and if you get the holesome ones they smell after you slide (Bacon, chocolate, and cotten candy).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #848
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    My first homemade pucks were the wrong plastic and melted to the ground :v Got mistaken for Chris Haslam three times today haha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

9. Post #849
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,512 Posts
    I made my slide gloves with a cutting board and they work great. The only problem is that the glove itself is really cheap and it's falling apart, no big deal though. And I also like having a puck on my fingers and thumbs, as opposed to JUST a palm puck, like most slide gloves I've seen (unless I'm not looking hard enough...)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

10. Post #850
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,613 Posts
    Just ordered a Fullbag Elise deck, some new gloves, and a set of Veloz trucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #851

June 2012
    2 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #852
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    487 Posts
    You should look into buying a helmet dude
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #853
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    This isn't street skating where having a helmet makes you look kooky. You are the minority when you don't wear a helmet. Strap a lid on, to many people have died already from falls. Also anyone getting gloves, don't use finger pucks. Yeah they help at first but they teach bad form, no one wears finger pucks racing...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #854
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    that no helmet swag

your cross-stepping is pretty good, work on holding out those checks and aim for switch standies

the video itself could use alittle more artistic work, more angles could never hurt

Edited:

also do use the youtube anti shake thing it fucks shit up

15. Post #855
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,512 Posts
    how are finger pucks bad?

16. Post #856
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    how are finger pucks bad?
    They can catch on cracks and things like that. They're just not as safe as just having a palm puck, they're fine at first but they teach you bad form and you'll ruin some gloves if you switch. Just ride without them, its not that bad.

17. Post #857
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,613 Posts
    It really shouldn't be that hard to keep from dragging your fingers on the road.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #858
    June 2011
    3,336 Posts
    So I'm gathering supplies to make my own gloves, what sort of glue do I need?

19. Post #859
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,613 Posts
    So I'm gathering supplies to make my own gloves, what sort of glue do I need?
    I recommend Gorilla Glue.

20. Post #860
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Use velcro for the pucks, gorilla glue the velcro on. DO NOT GLUE THE PUCKS TO THE GLOVES.

Edited:

got a regular madrid skateboard coming in the mail tomorrow. been trying to get my street skating ready for college. Hoping curbs and shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #861
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    practice olling off of the curb or small 2 stair gaps, much more challenging than doing it onto

22. Post #862
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    What does everybody think of the Nelson Tempest?

23. Post #863
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    practice olling off of the curb or small 2 stair gaps, much more challenging than doing it onto
    yeah i've been skating around my local town with my friends. Banks are a lot of fun if you can find them.

Edited:

really digging 8 1/4th width.

24. Post #864
    Tabasco Lord
    Dennab
    September 2005
    9,927 Posts
    Sweet, my local skate shop FINALLY picked up some longboard shit. A lot more convenient than shipping is.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

25. Post #865
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    i like that madrid deck, i think i'm gonna start going full on loyal to madrid/venom. Every product I've purchased from them has been amazing.

26. Post #866
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,512 Posts
    I was thinking of getting a new deck because sliding with my Cherry Blossom (identical to a dervish) is a pain in the ass. Any suggestions? I'm open to anything, especially Madrid suggestions since takkun seems to hold them so highly. I'm mostly looking for something that resembles a switchblade or an apex 40. A kicktail would be nice too for doin manuals and other such shit.

Edited:

the rest of my setup is pretty solid i think... paris 180's and sector 9 butterballs

Edited:

tell me if im being too vague or too stupid

27. Post #867
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    well we can start by not buying an apex 40,
    the switchblade i havent ridden myself but it looks like quality, im with you on the tails/kicks i like DKs alot.

I currently ride the Lifelong Seeker, it holds all my needs, and if youre looking to get into freeride thats the direction you want to go

if your not into the microdrop, i would sudggest the John Barnette Kebbek, its kinda like the switchblade just without 3d concave

Edited:

and by the way i feel you with sliding boards like the dervish, as soon as i changed boards i learned standies the next day

28. Post #868
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,512 Posts
    I'm really feeling the seeker. Couple questions though..

whats good with the microdrop?
    is it stiff or not so much?
    and why not the apex 40? i wasn't actually considering it, but everyone here seems to think poorly of original boards.. dunno why

29. Post #869
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    The seeker's micro drop plus concave plus W, creates probably the greatest sweetspot you'll ever do a toeside on, to be honest i would not ride any other board than the seeker. i highly suggest you go with the seeker
    its more stiff than not, but youll learn that a flexy board like the cherry blossom can be quite annoying when it comes to freeride, and as you gain more speed youll want a stiffer board
    its made out of a couple plys of maple, so its not super stiff but its stiff

Edited:

but if youre worried about turning and stuff like that, it generally relies on the trucks and the amount of drop and other stuff like that

30. Post #870
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,512 Posts
    What kind of trucks do you ride? and what about risers?

31. Post #871
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    I ride a switchblade also, they're really money for standup slides. I just like madrid downhill series for bombing, calvin staub pro model is money.

Edited:

switchblade/50Cals/flashbacks

fun setup I ride occasionally.

Edited:

and why not the apex 40? i wasn't actually considering it, but everyone here seems to think poorly of original boards.. dunno why
    apex 40 isn't a bad board but its flexy and the general trend lately in the sport is that everyone likes stiff boards for going fast and doing big slides. It's a tad over priced last time I checked also, you can get a much more quality ride for less. Loaded & Original boards are really nice but not really my style or where the scene is going's style. Hence why loaded is working on a stiff freeride deck.

32. Post #872
    March 2010
    793 Posts
    Alright this is gonna be the most vague post in existence, but in the city the other day I saw this guy skating on a longboard that was the type where the middle of the board was normal side then the nose and tail shrinks, like at the bottom of Arc Nova's post.

And he was ridin' on the sidewalk and into the street and everything, and he did these kind of powerslides to slow down or something, and then he kinda flicked out of the powerslide. Is there a specific name for this kind of street longboarding shit?

33. Post #873
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Alright this is gonna be the most vague post in existence, but in the city the other day I saw this guy skating on a longboard that was the type where the middle of the board was normal side then the nose and tail shrinks, like at the bottom of Arc Nova's post.

And he was ridin' on the sidewalk and into the street and everything, and he did these kind of powerslides to slow down or something, and then he kinda flicked out of the powerslide. Is there a specific name for this kind of street longboarding shit?
    That's freeride. Symmetrical topmounts or dropthroughs have been incredibly popular for the past two years or so, with the topmounts coming in now.

They're being phased out by topmounted speed decks, though.

34. Post #874
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,512 Posts
    apex 40 isn't a bad board but its flexy and the general trend lately in the sport is that everyone likes stiff boards for going fast and doing big slides. It's a tad over priced last time I checked also, you can get a much more quality ride for less. Loaded & Original boards are really nice but not really my style or where the scene is going's style. Hence why loaded is working on a stiff freeride deck.
    so loaded and original are like the Burton of longboarding?

Edited:

and how big 50cals? 150mm or 184mm?

Edited:

or would the 184mm be 44cal...?

35. Post #875
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,613 Posts

Edited:

Edited:

Both are about 180mm.

50cal's are on 50 degree baseplates, while 44cal's are on 44 degree baseplates.

36. Post #876
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    get 50cals and volantes the setup of a lifetime

37. Post #877
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    get 50cals and volantes the setup of a lifetime
    volantes are nice but wear fast

Edited:

Edited:

Edited:

perfect rendition, and go with 184mm 50cals.

Edited:

i haven't touched any of my longboards in like two weeks. I really need to go out and skate again.

38. Post #878
    October 2008
    700 Posts
    I just built a new board. Because I snapped the tail of my last board because i was angry about some shit. Thats the beauty of bulding your own boards.
    Not really giving a shit whether or not if it breaks just make a new one. I shall post pics later tonight.

39. Post #879
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,613 Posts
    Just got my Elise today. I know I said I'd never pay more than $150 for a board unless it was custom made for me, but this is just about perfect. Can't wait for my Veloz VX5 set to get here.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

40. Post #880
    February 2011
    2,116 Posts

They're being phased out by topmounted speed decks, though.
    Err, evidence for this? People are getting increasingly technical with freeride and dance, and a speedboard hinders that.
    I just don't understand why anyone would buy a topmount speedboard, they're so boring and one-dimensional.