Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1002
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    1000 post yay,

still have another week until im cleared by my doctor to do shit,

I have the money for Buzzed v2s still debating whether or not to get them
    i've ridden buzzed but I prefer cindrichs.

3. Post #1003
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,758 Posts
    watch out guys it's about to get ~ddeepp~ up in here

Does anyone else have a 'spiritual' connection with longboarding? I'm presuming a lot of people do but I was wondering if you could put it into words. I was just nic fitting really badly and I'm all alone at the moment which didn't help and my music keeps fucking up horrendously and making these really horrible noises so I decided to take my new Nickel board out for an impromptu nightrun. I didn't do any extravagant hills or anything, but just riding light inclines and carving from side to side I really felt a sense of 'zen', even though there were a couple of near hits which were entirely my fault for riding in a road at night in dark clothing. I love my entheogens and achieving a sense of peace and unity through drugs, but since I've done a fair few more drugs since the last time I boarded properly, I can honestly say it felt half like an afterglow of a psychadelic, half like a 'religious experience'. It completely erased any bad vibes from the nicotine withdrawal

Edited:

also I have little to no interest in the technical and competitive side of boarding. I don't want to go fast to win races or carve to do the best slalom, I just want to do to invoke that sense of unity and that meditative state
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1004
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Haha don't even get Clyde started with drugs and longboarding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1005
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,758 Posts
    Haha don't even get Clyde started with drugs and longboarding.
    yeah I don't want to get into that debate I think we should all just agree that we have different ideas and none of us are objectively right. I'm just wondering if anyone has a 'soul surfer' approach to longboarding and if they have anything to say about that sort of stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1006
    June 2009
    1,590 Posts
    Man I've wanted to long board for as long as I can remember. Mostly because I'm a really big dude and skateboards were never big enough. Not sure why I haven't started but I would fucking love to

Height: 6 feet 6 inches
    Weight: 270
    Preferred Style: not sure
    Topography of where you plan to skate: Its mostly flat unfortunately but there are some areas with small hills.
    Budget: I'd be willing to spend up to $300 maybe $350
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

7. Post #1007
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    yeah I don't want to get into that debate I think we should all just agree that we have different ideas and none of us are objectively right. I'm just wondering if anyone has a 'soul surfer' approach to longboarding and if they have anything to say about that sort of stuff
    Gettin' high and longboarding is probably the best feeling ever. The connection between your feet and the board is amazing. It's like a extension of your body, I don't really smoke and skate much anymore though because I don't like to go fast while high. I barely "cruise" anymore but more power to ya!

Edited:

Man I've wanted to long board for as long as I can remember. Mostly because I'm a really big dude and skateboards were never big enough. Not sure why I haven't started but I would fucking love to

Height: 6 feet 6 inches
    Weight: 270
    Preferred Style: not sure
    Topography of where you plan to skate: Its mostly flat unfortunately but there are some areas with small hills.
    Budget: I'd be willing to spend up to $300 maybe $350
    http://longboardskater.com/

Just look around the site at things you may like. The loaded bhagra is a lot of fun for flat land areas, expensive and "loaded" but is a very fun deck.

Edited:

basically since you just have small hills and mostly flat, you want a easy to push board, probably some fun tails maybe if you want to manual and stuff. Basically a dancer may be in your future.

basically just pushing around and having fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #1008
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,758 Posts
    Gettin' high and longboarding is probably the best feeling ever. The connection between your feet and the board is amazing. It's like a extension of your body, I don't really smoke and skate much anymore though because I don't like to go fast while high. I barely "cruise" anymore but more power to ya!
    yeah, I really want to sharpen up my skills downhill, I haven't rode in a while and that stuff makes me all giddy inside
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #1009
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    yeah, I really want to sharpen up my skills downhill, I haven't rode in a while and that stuff makes me all giddy inside
    Downhill is like a high in itself. After a run where I am just mobin down a hill, drifting, and passing friends. I get to the bottom and feel a feeling like no other. Haha and drifting high speed into turns is like zero gravity to me, time slows a bit, everything is quiet, you are just focused on the turn. Downhill is amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1010
    June 2009
    1,590 Posts

Edited:

http://longboardskater.com/

Just look around the site at things you may like. The loaded bhagra is a lot of fun for flat land areas, expensive and "loaded" but is a very fun deck.

Edited:

basically since you just have small hills and mostly flat, you want a easy to push board, probably some fun tails maybe if you want to manual and stuff. Basically a dancer may be in your future.

basically just pushing around and having fun
    Awesome man thank you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

11. Post #1011
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,758 Posts
    Downhill is like a high in itself. After a run where I am just mobin down a hill, drifting, and passing friends. I get to the bottom and feel a feeling like no other. Haha and drifting high speed into turns is like zero gravity to me, time slows a bit, everything is quiet, you are just focused on the turn. Downhill is amazing.
    yeah I can't wait to break in my new board's wheels, the area around where I've moved to now has some kickass hills and shit to slide on, and these awesome downhill right angle turns and oh god it's one in the morning and I want to go out again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #1012
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Awesome man thank you.
    Don't jump the gun on anything though. Look around, watch videos of people riding said board. Get a feel for whats right for you.

Edited:

yeah I can't wait to break in my new board's wheels, the area around where I've moved to now has some kickass hills and shit to slide on, and these awesome downhill right angle turns and oh god it's one in the morning and I want to go out again
    Haha stay safe mate! I feel you, I'm going to college in the great west virginia mountains. Only a month left before I leave and start really ripping up mountain roads. I'm sick of skating the only good DH runs around here. I'm just grateful I have 35-50mph runs with turns even if they only last two or three minutes.

13. Post #1013
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    watch out guys it's about to get ~ddeepp~ up in here

Does anyone else have a 'spiritual' connection with longboarding? I'm presuming a lot of people do but I was wondering if you could put it into words. I was just nic fitting really badly and I'm all alone at the moment which didn't help and my music keeps fucking up horrendously and making these really horrible noises so I decided to take my new Nickel board out for an impromptu nightrun. I didn't do any extravagant hills or anything, but just riding light inclines and carving from side to side I really felt a sense of 'zen', even though there were a couple of near hits which were entirely my fault for riding in a road at night in dark clothing. I love my entheogens and achieving a sense of peace and unity through drugs, but since I've done a fair few more drugs since the last time I boarded properly, I can honestly say it felt half like an afterglow of a psychadelic, half like a 'religious experience'. It completely erased any bad vibes from the nicotine withdrawal

Edited:

also I have little to no interest in the technical and competitive side of boarding. I don't want to go fast to win races or carve to do the best slalom, I just want to do to invoke that sense of unity and that meditative state
    well let me crack my knuckles and get started

Ill avoid pure senseless hate, but anyways

I used to have a Loaded Dervish (Terrible beginner board), and well i only got it because my friends all had longboards, there were about 10 of them, all had longboards and all could do at the least a coleman, most could to standups.
    It was late summer when i first started, but i would only skate (stinkbug) when my friends were around and willing to skate with me, that was about once every three weeks. Then winter came, i could do my standies, a few of my friends dropped longboarding. I then began to start to skate by myself- this was a turning point
    Skating by myself showed that I didnt just want to skate because it made me look cool with all my 'bros', i actually wanted to skate because i wanted to progress in freeride and downhill.
    but now dont get me wrong, I skate with my 2 friends all the time and theres nothing else like it (The only ones who actually gave shit about longboarding)
    Pretty soon, longboarding is my life, 3 hours everysingle day

Now when it comes to cruising, i will say it was mostly wrong of me to say that its bad to cruise, at the end of a day a longboard and or skateboard is just a toy for children, it just happens that some people make it into a sport, and thats what i do, its a passion.
    I will say though, if you do cruise, youre missing out on so much, theres so much potential when it comes to longboarding.

And now Drugs, im mostly out of breath on this topic, but basically, youre subtracting from longboarding, youre missing the point if you can only 'have fun' longboarding if youre high. And either way, If im trying to hit 20ft toeside checks, the last thing i want to do is to be high doing it.
    I also do understand that it is extremely popular to smoke weed and longboard, but does that make it any better? If you love the feeling of longboarding why would you use something that numbs you and clouds your mind.

Longboarding is more to me than just going fast and shit. Longboarding does give me a nice feeling of relaxation, i wouldnt want to throw that away by being high

Edited:

sweet jesus this is what happens when you mention stupid things

14. Post #1014
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,584 Posts
    Clyde (Irish) posted:
    numbs you and clouds your mind.
    I'm sorry it makes you feel that way. It sure as hell doesn't do that to me or anyone I know that smokes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #1015
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,758 Posts

I used to have a Loaded Dervish (Terrible beginner board), and well i only got it because my friends all had longboards, there were about 10 of them, all had longboards and all could do at the least a coleman, most could to standups.
    It was late summer when i first started, but i would only skate (stinkbug) when my friends were around and willing to skate with me, that was about once every three weeks. Then winter came, i could do my standies, a few of my friends dropped longboarding. I then began to start to skate by myself- this was a turning point
    Skating by myself showed that I didnt just want to skate because it made me look cool with all my 'bros', i actually wanted to skate because i wanted to progress in freeride and downhill.
    but now dont get me wrong, I skate with my 2 friends all the time and theres nothing else like it (The only ones who actually gave shit about longboarding)

Now when it comes to cruising, i will say it was mostly wrong of me to say that its bad to cruise, at the end of a day a longboard and or skateboard is just a toy for children, it just happens that some people make it into a sport, and thats what i do, its a passion.
    I will say though, if you do cruise, youre missing out on so much, theres so much potential when it comes to longboarding.

And now Drugs, im mostly out of breath on this topic, but basically, youre subtracting from longboarding, youre missing the point if you can only 'have fun' longboarding if youre high. And either way, If im trying to hit 20ft toeside checks, the last thing i want to do is to be high doing it.
    I also do understand that it is extremely popular to smoke weed and longboard, but does that make it any better? If you love the feeling of longboarding why would you use something that numbs you and clouds your mind.

Longboarding is more to me than just going fast and shit. Longboarding does give me a nice feeling of relaxation, i wouldnt want to throw that away by being high

Edited:

okay first of all where did I just say that I only cruise, and second of all where did I say I can only have fun longboarding while high, the whole fucking point of my post was that I had a religious experience while boarding completely sans drugs for fucks sake. And how does weed cloud your mind? It does the opposite, it makes me twice as alert and sensitive to the world. Either you've never smoked weed or you've been smoking the wrong stuff

Edited:

goddamn I wouldn't mind but I didn't even say any of that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #1016
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,584 Posts
    okay first of all where did I just say that I only cruise, and second of all where did I say I can only have fun longboarding while high, the whole fucking point of my post was that I had a religious experience while boarding completely sans drugs for fucks sake. And how does weed cloud your mind? It does the opposite, it makes me twice as alert and sensitive to the world. Either you've never smoked weed or you've been smoking the wrong stuff

Edited:

goddamn I wouldn't mind but I didn't even say any of that
    He's blissfully ignorant, just move on.

After riding the Elise every day for the past few weeks, I've corrected my form and have started nailing predrifts and speedchecks. I really understand why people like top-mounts so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #1017
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    you know what, im going to leave

I mostly come here to blog about my new progression but everyone else is explaining their shitty setups

Cruising is pointless

Drugs are a waste of a perfectly good sport

Yeah, so im going to stop this

landed toesides
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #1018
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts

Edited:

I will agree with you that I also do not like to get high and go fast and pull big slides. It sketches me out but skating high is a lot of fun every now and again.

Edited:

you know what, im going to leave

I mostly come here to blog about my new progression but everyone else is explaining their shitty setups

Cruising is pointless

Drugs are a waste of a perfectly good sport

Yeah, so im going to stop this

landed toesides
    Cruising is not pointless and is pretty much the only thing that funds a lot of the sport. Downhill and freeride are very niche in the grand scheme of longboarding. Without hundreds apon hundreds of people wanting s9 cruisers from their local mall, we wouldn't have the funds to send people like lou pilloni to races around the world.

Drugs are in every sport, pretty much every pro in longboarding smokes weed and drinks. If you look at any pictures, videos, or first hand accounts of races. The night life there is basically everyone getting wasted and high. Have you ever even smoked weed?

Edited:

And please don't be a debbie downer with "everyone posting their shitty setups", if only serious people posted in this thread it would probably be like 4 of us. Everyone is here to talk about a sport they love or a hobby they enjoy.

Edited:

He's blissfully ignorant, just move on.

After riding the Elise every day for the past few weeks, I've corrected my form and have started nailing predrifts and speedchecks. I really understand why people like top-mounts so much.
    The control and nimbleness you get from a top mount is awesome.

Edited:

83f and no humidity in maryland? FUCK YES, skate till dark after my doctors appointment!

19. Post #1019
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    I for one love skating high, it forces me to feel the fear when im speed bombing a hill a lot more, and its more of a mental excercise when i conquer it and force myself just to continue on.

But then again im high every day so i dont really know if thats an ample example.
    Oh well.
    Boardings fun.

Smokings fun.

Doing both together is fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #1020
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,584 Posts
    I for one love skating high, it forces me to feel the fear when im speed bombing a hill a lot more, and its more of a mental excercise when i conquer it and force myself just to continue on.

But then again im high every day so i dont really know if thats an ample example.
    Oh well.
    Boardings fun.

Smokings fun.

Doing both together is fun.
    That's how I feel, too.

It makes merging with traffic in residential intersections very exhilarating.

35mph is like my sweet spot when high, its mindblowing sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

21. Post #1021
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    That's how I feel, too.

It makes merging with traffic in residential intersections very exhilarating.

35mph is like my sweet spot when high, its mindblowing sometimes.
    My adrenaline starts kicking in and i just zone in and focus pretty hard, its very exhilerating. Ive even figured out i board better high, for some reason.

22. Post #1022
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    I feel like we've been over this before .

23. Post #1023
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Yeah haha. Man fuck this heat, I just want to skate!

24. Post #1024
    Sometimes I put my nose in my dog's butt and I furiously squeeze his belly until he farts.
    May 2009
    2,370 Posts
    Hey, I was thinking about getting a Longboard, but I need a bit of help.

I'm looking for a board that's more rigid than bendy, and is good for about 5-10 minute commutes but up to 25-30 minute ones and will function well in a more suburban environment. The area would be mostly flat but some big hills every once in a while. Thanks for the help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

25. Post #1025
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Skated Prospect Park today, but, alas, my trucks were not tightened, and the downhill nearly killed me. Still working on standies.

26. Post #1026
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,584 Posts
    Skated Prospect Park today, but, alas, my trucks were not tightened, and the downhill nearly killed me. Still working on standies.
    Loose trucks 4 lyfe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

27. Post #1027
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    My trucks are almost always tight, helps with dancing, dh, freeride, and everything else. Not dead, but enough to where I can rail hairpins perfectly when I'm turning as hard as I can.

28. Post #1028
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Loose trucks save lives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1029
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,584 Posts
    Haha today Arc Nova and I were bombin one of the biggest, steepest hills in town. We were tucking the whole way down, no carving, probably the fastest we've gone. Now arc was like 10 feet in front of me and I was gaining on him. He looked behind him then broke his tuck just as the slope was going horizontal, which caused him to barrel roll off the board.

You wanna see someone bounce off of pavement. He bounced like twice and then rolled to a halt, and laid there. I was like 3 feet behind him at this point, I managed to dodge him but it was the sketchiest feeling ever i carved in and out so fast lol

Not exaggerating when I say my board was ~3 inches from his face.

When I came back he was walking down the road lol. Nothing too serious he just scraped up his elbow, and his jaw hurt because he punched himself when he fell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #1030
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Haha today Arc Nova and I were bombin one of the biggest, steepest hills in town. We were tucking the whole way down, no carving, probably the fastest we've gone. Now arc was like 10 feet in front of me and I was gaining on him. He looked behind him then broke his tuck just as the slope was going horizontal, which caused him to barrel roll off the board.

You wanna see someone bounce off of pavement. He bounced like twice and then rolled to a halt, and laid there. I was like 3 feet behind him at this point, I managed to dodge him but it was the sketchiest feeling ever i carved in and out so fast lol

Not exaggerating when I say my board was ~3 inches from his face.

When I came back he was walking down the road lol. Nothing too serious he just scraped up his elbow, and his jaw hurt because he punched himself when he fell.
    haha holy shit, glad you guys are okay. You guys wearing helmets? Might wanna pick up slide gloves when you bomb hills.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #1031
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    9,229 Posts
    Ahahaha, yeah I actually don't have ANY safety equipment, silly I know. Picking up some shit but money is tight right now. Hybrid's got slide gloves, yeah.

The only injury I received is two inch sized road rash marks above my elbow, a slight pain in my jaw from the impact of it smacking off my shoulder and a tender hip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

32. Post #1032
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,454 Posts
    I have a question for you people. My friend and his sister both have longboards (actually I think hers is something different, some kind of little pink plastic toy), and I've tried skating with them a few times, but it always gets really boring really fast.

I've been skating since age 6 or so, so I guess it's safe to say I know fairly well what I'm doing. But my friend has had his longboard for only about a year. Whenever we go out together, we can't go anywhere that there's an uphill incline, because that's too hard to skate up, and we can't go anywhere downhill, because he's afraid he'll fall off his board. Our only options are perfectly flat perfectly smoothly-paved places with no cracks or gravel in the road, which are practically nonexistent for us. We live in a very hilly region.

Is it longboards that are really that limited, or does my friend just need to man up? I keep telling him he needs to get used to hills and high speeds and shit, but he seems to think longboards just aren't meant to be ridden on any surface that's not as flat as Final Destination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

33. Post #1033
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Ahahaha, yeah I actually don't have ANY safety equipment, silly I know. Picking up some shit but money is tight right now. Hybrid's got slide gloves, yeah.

The only injury I received is two inch sized road rash marks above my elbow, a slight pain in my jaw from the impact of it smacking off my shoulder and a tender hip.
    http://www.theiantilmannfoundation.org/action.html

Edited:

I have a question for you people. My friend and his sister both have longboards (actually I think hers is something different, some kind of little pink plastic toy), and I've tried skating with them a few times, but it always gets really boring really fast.

I've been skating since age 6 or so, so I guess it's safe to say I know fairly well what I'm doing. But my friend has had his longboard for only about a year. Whenever we go out together, we can't go anywhere that there's an uphill incline, because that's too hard to skate up, and we can't go anywhere downhill, because he's afraid he'll fall off his board. Our only options are perfectly flat perfectly smoothly-paved places with no cracks or gravel in the road, which are practically nonexistent for us. We live in a very hilly region.

Is it longboards that are really that limited, or does my friend just need to man up? I keep telling him he needs to get used to hills and high speeds and shit, but he seems to think longboards just aren't meant to be ridden on any surface that's not as flat as Final Destination.
    Your friend needs to man up. Plenty of us bomb hills at 40mph+

Edited:

Of course longboarding gets boring if all you do is cruise. Some people can do it without getting bored but I find it boring.

34. Post #1034
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,198 Posts
    I wanted to pick up a board for my girlfriend, but i wanted it to be a surprise and i know nothing about longboards.
    so somewhere in the below $200 closer to $150 range.
    we have some hills here, but i know she will rarely (if she ever does) go down them.
    any suggestions?

35. Post #1035
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts

how's that for freeriding?

36. Post #1036
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    I'd avoid the stims, especially at that price. Go for Abec11 Freerides.

37. Post #1037
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Not a fan of bear trucks. They can't fit venom bushings well, checkout caliber/gunmetal. Abec 11 81a flashbacks.

38. Post #1038
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts

How about now? Bear trucks were recommended by earthwing because Randalls cause wheel bite.

39. Post #1039
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Looks good to me man. Might wanna pick up some JimZ bushings down the line to tune your trucks but the stock bear bushings are actually pretty nice. You'll need bearings and mounting hardware too ya know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

40. Post #1040
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    do you think the stock bushings need to be replaced urgently?