1. Post #41
    April 2009
    847 Posts

This is the fucking shit. The best part is the "dis looks shopped" cover.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

2. Post #42

This is the fucking shit. The best part is the "dis looks shopped" cover.
    That cover is shopped. I've seen that tree scene in it's own image.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #43
    April 2009
    847 Posts
    That cover is shopped. I've seen that tree scene in it's own image.
    That's actually a legit book, however, when it was first released it probably made use of a combo of stock photos, since the author was not well known or famous before it. "The Name of the Wind" was what made Patrick Rothfuss famous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #44
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    11,135 Posts

The Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark is the first book in The Kingdom Keepers series set inside the
    Walt Disney World Resort, written by Ridley Pearson and published by Disney Book Group. It is set inside the Magic Kingdom. It features five young protagonists battling against villains known as the Overtakers for control of the parks.
    It's a pretty good book series so far, I'm currently reading the second book, Disney At Dawn. Excellent read if you have the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,040 Posts
    Just got Dune for my reading assignment this semester
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #46
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,984 Posts

I just started reading this book and I'm about halfway through it. I thought it would be like christine by the same author, but fuck, this is weird as hell. I have no idea if i like it yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    The 10 O'clock people or whatever it was called was awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

8. Post #48
    January 2012
    112 Posts

You know, the good ol' stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,991 Posts
    I'm reading the Darkness Series by Harry Turtledove. Stopping by the book store to buy the next book:

I highly suggest it to those that like history. It's essentially a believable fantasy sci-fi book, based on WWII with guns replaced with blaze wands and bombs replaced with dragon eggs. The entire series is quite interesting, and I read half of the second book in a day or two.

Once I'm done with this series, it'll be off over to Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged just to see what the buzz is about. I got the cheap paper back version, so microscopic text on 1200 pages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    I like Dick

read Do Androids... and Ubik so far, they are good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

11. Post #51
    February 2011
    1,958 Posts

Just started reading this in English with my recently bought Kindle.

As not a native English speaker, there's some words I don't quite understand, but thank God for the built-in Kindle dictionary which is easy as hell to use and makes it all much faster. Even thought there's some words it doesn't catch, I can tell by the context and I can understand the reading.

The bad thing is I go at a slow pace but hopefully I'll get used to reading in English, I'd really like to improve it. I'll have time to read in spanish when I read some spanish book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,061 Posts
    Which Kindle did you get?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

13. Post #53
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    because someone removed your brain

All the Brian Herbert books are shit and Frank Herbert is a god.
    Dune really didn't grab me when I first read it. I should probably give it another go. It's still sitting in my to read pile
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #54
    January 2009
    349 Posts
    Reading a novel called "Dance Dance Dance" by Haruki Murakami, it's brilliant, as is everything that man craps out. He could spit on a piece of used toilet paper, and it would still be book of the year.
    I have a feel that this book could burn me if I'm not careful. Also, Gimmethechocolate.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    Reading a novel called "Dance Dance Dance" by Haruki Murakami, it's brilliant, as is everything that man craps out. He could spit on a piece of used toilet paper, and it would still be book of the year.
    Murakami's pretty good. I haven't read Dance Dance Dance but I read Kafka on the Shore and Wild Sheep Chase pretty recently. They were good, but I've kinda had enough of him for now so I'm going to wait a while before reading anything else by him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #56
    August 2011
    501 Posts
    Just finished Ready Player One and it's pretty good. The story's OK and the characters are interesting, though I noticed quite a lot of unnecessary pandering to 80's geek culture. Some pandering's OK but it was just too much. All in all a pretty good book though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #57
    February 2011
    1,958 Posts
    Which Kindle did you get?
    A normal Kindle 5, the one with the 5pad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

18. Post #58
    Fuarrrrkin sexier than zeez bruh
    March 2011
    1,773 Posts
    I was thinking of buying a kindle 5, what are your opinions on it? I was going to get it for christmas but the talk of the kindle fire being released in January kept me from buying...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,061 Posts
    I kinda want something that's good for both books and manga. Not sure on the screen size yet, but full colour seems redundant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

20. Post #60
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,392 Posts
    Reading this:

Amazing book by an amazing man.

Edited:

It shames me that it's lesser known than works of pure fiction like All Quiet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,532 Posts
    Just ordered a copy of Mere by Robert Reed.

I love Reed's previous books - they're a weird combination of hard science-fiction with soft science-fiction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,614 Posts
    Recently re-read this. I might look into some of the books posted here for my next book.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    868 Posts

This author is practically made of awesome. He wrote Looking For Alaska, too.
    My Review of and Thoughts About The Fault in Our Stars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,843 Posts
    I was thinking of buying a kindle 5, what are your opinions on it? I was going to get it for christmas but the talk of the kindle fire being released in January kept me from buying...
    I have a kindle 5 and I really like it. I don't think the upgrade to the one with the keyboard is worth it if you have regular access to wifi though. I would ignore the kindle fire, it looks more like a tablet than an eReader, they are just using the kindle name for recognition but it won't have any of the benefits that a regular kindle has. Long battery life, easy to read screen etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    August 2008
    113 Posts
    Lan is cool, but he's generally boring to me.

My favorite male character is probably Mat, and Rand second. I never really liked Perrin, even though he reminds me most of myself.

I guess I don't like myself, derp.

26. Post #66
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    We talk about books here. Books are good for you. Read some.

RULES:
    1) Talk about books and only books. No posts that don't have to do with books please.
    2) DO NOT SPOIL BOOKS
    3) When introducing a book, include a picture, breif summary, and personal thoughts on the book.
    4) Do not flame others for their book tastes. Not even 'Twilight'

Other thread was just autolocked, I think.

Also I'm reading Eragon again just because.

I love those books. It's like chocolate, I really know I shouldn't, but I do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    February 2011
    1,958 Posts
    I kinda want something that's good for both books and manga. Not sure on the screen size yet, but full colour seems redundant.
    So far I'm loving it, if you don't mind not owning physical copies of books anymore you'll be quite satisfied, it's easier to hold than books, doesn't hurt your eyes, easy to get books from the internet, a nice easy and fast to use dictionary for various languages, note taking and underlining (people say it's tedious doing this with only the 5button one, but I think it's just a matter of getting used to).

Probably couple more, but I just woke up and I'm not fully functional yet. The only drawback is not all books are on ebook format which sucks. You can still try to find the pdf for them and get them in the Kindle.

About mangas, I don't know, it can render images but the quality isn't that good, I don't know how it would fare with mangas.

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,504 Posts
    So far I'm loving it, if you don't mind not owning physical copies of books anymore you'll be quite satisfied, it's easier to hold than books, doesn't hurt your eyes, easy to get books from the internet, a nice easy and fast to use dictionary for various languages, note taking and underlining (people say it's tedious doing this with only the 5button one, but I think it's just a matter of getting used to).

Probably couple more, but I just woke up and I'm not fully functional yet. The only drawback is not all books are on ebook format which sucks. You can still try to find the pdf for them and get them in the Kindle.

About mangas, I don't know, it can render images but the quality isn't that good, I don't know how it would fare with mangas.
    Isn't it the kindle that has a permanent and free internet connection or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    July 2011
    1,889 Posts
    Right now I'm reading Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

30. Post #70
    October 2010
    214 Posts
    I've tried to reading game of thrones and wheel of time before but i could never get my claws sunk into the story line and I don't like many books that start off really slowly.
    My favorite series' would have to be:
    Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind
    The Dark Towers series By Stephen King
    The Inheritance quadrilogy By Christopher Paolini
    Artemis Fowl series by Eon Colfer
    The Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz
    Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordon
    Finnaly, The Captain Underpants Saga by Dav Pikey
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #71
    February 2011
    1,958 Posts
    Isn't it the kindle that has a permanent and free internet connection or something?
    Aye, you can connect to the internet (you need access to some wifi net first) and browse stuff, but don't expect it to be working well, it's still experimental and it doesn't really work that well, for example LMAO pics will crash it, on facebook you can't check notifications, etc. As long as they're not 'complex' sites it won't have any problem.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    Certain models have free 3G, yeah. Only really useful for downloading books though, since the browser is terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    March 2010
    1,048 Posts

Really neat science-fiction book, recommend it to everyone who is into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #74

Really neat science-fiction book, recommend it to everyone who is into it.
    A friend of mine recommended this to me just last night.

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,765 Posts
    I love those books. It's like chocolate, I really know I shouldn't, but I do.
    The first one was ok, but the second was pretty bad.

I blame the annoying, self righteous elves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

36. Post #76
    August 2008
    113 Posts
    I'm currently reading the last books of the wheel of time, on... i think the second or third to last one now.

I'm extremely worried for rand after his SECOND brush with semirhage. His touching of the dark ones power may ruin him   

37. Post #77
    It was only a dollar!
    June 2009
    328 Posts
    Just got done reading Embedded.

Dan Abnett is a really good writer, I've also read Gaunt's Ghosts, which was also awesome.

I am now reading Battle Of the Fang.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

38. Post #78
    October 2011
    636 Posts

Amazing Book, 11/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Puddin'
    November 2008
    10,409 Posts

Amazing Book, 11/10
    Indeed. Burns very well, keeps me warm at night.

Would recommend to anyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    Indeed. Burns very well, keeps me warm at night.

Would recommend to anyone.
    I recommend obtaining the whole set, can keep you warm for a few hours. Make sure to pack with on camping excursions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events