1. Post #401
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,324 Posts
    It seemed to me though that they were    fucked. They showed no interest is having sex with the only other woman. Furthermore, he made reference to two wive's thing when he was writing his book on the atomic bomb. His first wife is unkown, and his second was Mona.   
    Actually I just reread a bit of the book to see if you were right and he does mention    his second wife leaving him shortly before his trip to Ilium - so he'd had one unmentioned (I think) wife before her, then her (the first wife of the "two wives ago"), then Mona.   

So yeah you're probably right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #402
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,592 Posts
    It is bleak. It's a shallow world full of instant gratification. And that's why people would love it. Not over night of course, but it could steadily get there. It's already heading that direction. Now I'm not saying that it would for sure happen, but I think it's more likely. 1984 has an underground group. BNW doesn't, because no one wants it to change (well, besides John and a handful of others, who are given what they want anyway).
    no, there actually isn't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #403
    March 2011
    3,388 Posts
    Anyway, just finished the first Foundation book, surprisingly good. I mean, I'd heard it was good, but I expected the style to be, I'm not sure, old? But I really liked it. Next, finally get to read the first Game of Thrones.
    The first Foundation was excellent, but I found as the series progressed that nearly every character you find is a puppetmaster and it got sort of dumb.
    Definitely jumped the shark at Edge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #404
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,324 Posts
    The first Foundation was excellent, but I found as the series progressed that nearly every character you find is a puppetmaster and it got sort of dumb.
    Definitely jumped the shark at Edge.
    I've only read the first 2.5 books (foundation, foundation and empire and half of 2nd foundation) an so far it seems like all the characters are uber-manipulative puppet masters because in this sort of centuries-spanning history it's only the puppet masters that are actually worth mentioning. But I could see it getting too much later.
    Also I liked foundation and empire more than the first one; the first one was great but it was very disjointed, almost as if as soon as you got to know a character it skipped 200 years in the future and they were forgotten about. Foundation and Empire felt more coherent as a whole novel with one strong story arc with a beginning, middle, and end. Also the psychologist guy (I forget his name, I think it started with 'E'?) was cool.

5. Post #405
    December 2009
    5,967 Posts
    True, when I read BNW I was sort of thinking "hmm..maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.."

Anyway, currently reading this right now

I love his books, he's inspired me to write a 6000 word dissertation about objective morality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #406
    January 2010
    854 Posts
    Someone recommend me a good sci-fi book. I was convinced that they're all star trek or star wars-ish and disregarded the genre up till a friend persuaded me to give them a try.

I've only got 1984 in my basket so far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events

7. Post #407
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    I'm starting to reread The Great Gatsby for the 5th time, if you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend that you go do it right away.

It's probably my all time favorite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #408
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,048 Posts
    I hated that book.
    Loving American Psycho though. I don't know why, but it's very enjoyable to read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

9. Post #409
    Reading through aDwD,    wtf did they do to Theon!   

10. Post #410
    Someone recommend me a good sci-fi book. I was convinced that they're all star trek or star wars-ish and disregarded the genre up till a friend persuaded me to give them a try.

I've only got 1984 in my basket so far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 7Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #411
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    That's quite the chart. I did it twice and both times I came to a serie I've read and adored.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #412
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,655 Posts
    I've been reading Ramsey Campbell's anthology- a Lovecraft short story mythos writer, but the book isn't all Lovecraftian Horror- and I'm liking it so far.

I have to say, the last one I read was kind of odd. It dealt with Aztec-graffiti worship that is actually an Aztec god who fiddles little girls. Was weird as fuck, but interesting as hell. He apparently put them in order of worst to best in his opinion, and I'm still in the beginning.

Check it out if you like horror/Lovecraft, it's called "Alone with the Horrors."

Edited:

I'm starting to reread The Great Gatsby for the 5th time, if you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend that you go do it right away.

It's probably my all time favorite.
    I actually didn't like the great Gatsby. Like, the message was good, but the writing, in my opinion, was utter crap, and the characters were unlikable across the board.

Then again I was made to read it for school, so my opinion is skewed I suppose. Books aren't usually enjoyable if you're being forced to read them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #413
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    324 Posts
    Just read Jurassic Park. To bad the movie wasn't like the book, would have been a lot better, but i guess it would have been rated R then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #414
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,504 Posts
    Am I a hipster because I refuse to read The Hunger Games because everyone at school is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #415
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    Am I a hipster because I refuse to read The Hunger Games because everyone at school is?
    You're atleast silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #416
    Seriously though, what is the deal with The Hunger Games?

some people hail it is as brilliant, while at least 60% think it badly written shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #417
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts
    It must be brilliant, it's the only book my sister has ever read (Or at least started to read, willingly).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Uruguay Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #418
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts

some people hail it is as brilliant, while at least 60% think it badly written shit.
    I don't know yet. I'll be reading it somewhere next week to find out how good it is.

Mates of mine are diverted; 2 find it quite good while another thinks it's utter crap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

19. Post #419
    September 2007
    686 Posts

From what I've seen, most people get attached to the plot or the setting. No one that I've talked with has had any specific comments about how good/bad the writing is.

imo, the writing is decent at best, but the series isn't really anything special.

20. Post #420
    I read the first Hunger Games book, I don't really remember anything particularly good or bad about it. Make of that what you will.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,324 Posts
    I've read the first ~60 pages of the first hunger games to see what all the fuss was about, and it seemed very derivative and just plain badly written
    the film actually looks pretty good though, and by film standards it would probably be reasonably intelligent and original

My main problem with the whole thing is the fans who think it's this amazingly original and deep and intelligent work of literature when actually everything in it has been done better before. It just presents the same ideas in a more accessible format I guess.

22. Post #422
    March 2012
    1,187 Posts
    I've read the first ~60 pages of the first hunger games to see what all the fuss was about, and it seemed very derivative and just plain badly written
    the film actually looks pretty good though, and by film standards it would probably be reasonably intelligent and original

My main problem with the whole thing is the fans who think it's this amazingly original and deep and intelligent work of literature when actually everything in it has been done better before. It just presents the same ideas in a more accessible format I guess.
    I'm looking forward to the movie because I think it'll fix my biggest problems with the book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #423
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Ironically I just read all three books in about a day (very short reads). I really liked the basic story, even if it's cliche or been done before. I love reading about dystopian society and uprisings, so the first book really drew me in. I found the last book to be "meh" compared to the first two, whereas the first was my clear favorite. Also, the film looks like it'll be a good depiction of the story's events.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

24. Post #424
    May 2009
    1,554 Posts
    I'm glad I finally found the books thread. I would have expected to see a whole thread section for books, just as the movies have one.
    This is what I'm reading now:

These are my favorites yet:

+methamorphosis and the judgement-kafka,king rat-clavell,the house of the dead-dostoievski,captain blood-sabatini
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

25. Post #425
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    I'm glad I finally found the books thread. I would have expected to see a whole thread section for books, just as the movies have one.
    This is what I'm reading now:
    Somehow, I doubt that.

26. Post #426
    A cardboard cut-out of a man.
    March 2007
    13,603 Posts
    Isn't Mein Kampf terrible?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

27. Post #427
    Bought The Necronomicon.

Never read any of H.P. Lovecraft's stuff before, hoping it was worth the exorbitant amount.

28. Post #428
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,483 Posts
    by the way, if anyone feels like making a non-terrible OP filled with lots of these awesome charts, go for it.

29. Post #429
    May 2009
    1,554 Posts
    Somehow, I doubt that.
    What are you doubting?
    Mac, I've read 200/2000 pages and I don't have the same impression on Hitler as I had before starting to read it.It's thrilling to find out how he became from a poor proletarian to the ruler of an empire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

30. Post #430
    January 2010
    854 Posts
    My basket just got 200pounds heavier, thanks a lot!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #431
    Bought The Necronomicon.

Never read any of H.P. Lovecraft's stuff before, hoping it was worth the exorbitant amount.
    $30 is exorbitant?

32. Post #432
    $30 is exorbitant?
    It is when you are some broke jobless teenager.
    Also, for some reason I have trouble paying more than 7 for books. It's probably because I finish them within 3 days and can't justify buying books constantly.

33. Post #433
    March 2012
    800 Posts
    Just finished reading Crank. Such a good book.

Plan on reading Glass soon. Anyone here read Glass, if so how was it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #434
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,124 Posts
    reading some noir books atm, just finished "Daemon" (really good read)

35. Post #435
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,246 Posts

I just finished it yesterday, it wasn't the best thing ever but I still enjoyed it mostly due to the setting I suppose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

36. Post #436
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,695 Posts
    Reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. Amazing book. Just really hard to get over the different grammar system they had back then.

37. Post #437
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    7,954 Posts
    That NPR chart isn't really that great IMO, I don't know about the fantasy side, but there's a lot of great Sci-Fi on that chart that they're missing out on.

Maybe I'll make one for hard sci-fi.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #438
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    Still busy with the fourth part of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Compared to the third book I find it not quite as awesome.
    But I'm only halfway through, so who knows.

39. Post #439
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,324 Posts
    That NPR chart isn't really that great IMO, I don't know about the fantasy side, but there's a lot of great Sci-Fi on that chart that they're missing out on.

Maybe I'll make one for hard sci-fi.
    I don't like the fact that the only Philip Dick book on there is 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep', which imo is one of the less interesting ones. Needs 'A Scanner Darkly' at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #440
    Actually a Time Lord
    November 2011
    7,977 Posts
    I generally love anything that Stephen King pushes out. Especially The Stand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)