1. Post #1121
    September 2011
    4,059 Posts
    I guess I will have to learn how to use Hammer.
    I want to make test chambers in the style of Chapter 8. I suppose it's not too hard, at least I hope so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

2. Post #1122
    Kyo
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    500 Posts
    Only 30 more minutes until probable disappointment! I mean... the DLC being released!    Hopefully   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

3. Post #1123
    December 2009
    2,893 Posts
    What happens if you import maps with custom textures in the map editor? Do we get the classic "pink tiled" textures in it too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

4. Post #1124
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,055 Posts
    I want to make test chambers in the style of Chapter 8. I suppose it's not too hard, at least I hope so.

Portal 2 is probably one of the best games to get into source mapping with. If you already have an idea for a puzzle in mind then building a test chamber isn't too hard. They're pretty sleek and simple, using mostly just flat surfaces and minimal detail work. ( That is if you're making a non-destroyed map )

This is a good place to start: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...2_Level_Design
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #1125
    Kyo
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    500 Posts
    What happens if you import maps with custom textures in the map editor? Do we get the classic "pink tiled" textures in it too?
    You can't import maps into the in-game editor. You can only export maps made in the in-game editor to Hammer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #1126
    September 2011
    4,059 Posts
    Portal 2 is probably one of the best games to get into source mapping with. If you already have an idea for a puzzle in mind then building a test chamber isn't too hard. They're pretty sleek and simple, using mostly just flat surfaces and minimal detail work. ( That is if you're making a non-destroyed map )

This is a good place to start: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...2_Level_Design
    Woah, there's a complete guide? I had no idea there was that much documentation. Thanks a lot, I'm gonna read that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #1127
    December 2009
    2,893 Posts
    You can't import maps into the in-game editor. You can only export maps made in the in-game editor to Hammer.
    Then how would one go to publish Hammer made maps to the workshop?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

8. Post #1128
    Kyo
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    500 Posts
    Then how would one go to publish Hammer made maps to the workshop?
    To my knowledge you just stick a special instance into the map, compile, and then upload it like you'd upload something to the TF2 workshop or something.

9. Post #1129
    September 2009
    3,652 Posts
    Is it coming out soon? if so im excite
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #1130
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    340 Posts
    Is it coming out soon? if so im excite
    It's past midnight on PST, Valve's timezone. So unless someone forgot to hit the big "upload DLC" button, I don't think it's coming out until either morning or late afternoon PST.

11. Post #1131
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,288 Posts
    What time and date is this coming out in Australia, GMT+10?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

12. Post #1132
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    15,965 Posts
    What time and date is this coming out in Australia, GMT+10?
    No-one knows the exact time. All we know is it comes out the 8th in North America.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1133
    Dennab
    April 2010
    2,092 Posts
    Well, shifted from Linux to Windows, installed steam, and started downloading Portal 2.

Wish me luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

14. Post #1134
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,288 Posts
    Hurry up little DLC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

15. Post #1135
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    I don't think we're going to see it until late afternoon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #1136
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,288 Posts
    I don't think we're going to see it until late afternoon.
    It is late afternoon.
    For me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1137
    July 2010
    53 Posts
    FUUUU When the DLC must out, I will go to school :'(... I'm lost... In France, when hours the DLC must out ?

18. Post #1138
    October 2010
    104 Posts
    FUUUU When the DLC must out, I will go to school :'(... I'm lost... In France, when hours the DLC must out ?
    You know it's a free day today in France, right?
    But will probably be out by the evening.

19. Post #1139
    July 2010
    53 Posts
    Yeah it's free day, but with valve time he will be out in the night in Europe I think.

20. Post #1140
    November 2008
    893 Posts
    All I'm gonna do is fuck around with the launch pads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #1141
    May 2008
    4,586 Posts
    Just an example of space-bending you can do in hammer with world portals:

Unfortunately the clip cut out at the end, I was jumping up, which would show that "backwards" is now "up"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

22. Post #1142
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    14,710 Posts
    Effectively changing gravity you mean?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

23. Post #1143
    August 2007
    693 Posts
    All I'm gonna do is fuck around with the launch pads.
    Exactly what i was thinking when i first saw the trailer and gameplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

24. Post #1144
    May 2008
    4,586 Posts
    Effectively changing gravity you mean?
    While effectively yes, there are many other things you can do, such as infinite staircases.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #1145
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    805 Posts
    Well it's only 6:20am Bellevue, Washington. We will have to wait a couple of more hours. Sadly, but it will be worth the wait!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #1146
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,778 Posts
    You can start by actually buying the game.
    it's funny because i was with him when he bought it. it's a legitimate copy :V

it can take a while to make a test chamber in that style..
    but the final product looks amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1147
    September 2011
    4,059 Posts
    In our timezone (UTC+ 01:00), Valve usually updates at 2:00AM. So yeah, all my bets it will be Wednesday morning for us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1148
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,222 Posts
    In our timezone (UTC+ 01:00), Valve usually updates at 2:00AM. So yeah, all my bets it will be Wednesday morning for us.
    So in how many hours is that?

29. Post #1149
    #YOLO
    July 2011
    1,494 Posts
    Probably gonna be released at 10am Valve time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #1150
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    5,905 Posts
    How long is that? Being in the UK and not knowing how to do the whole "times in other countries" thing, I mean.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #1151
    I'm cool because I have a title period
    May 2009
    493 Posts
    Come on, did Gabe just ate the DLC again ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

32. Post #1152
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,222 Posts
    How long is that? Being in the UK and not knowing how to do the whole "times in other countries" thing, I mean.
    Yeah same here. I operate on "GMT + 8" and "GMT - 3" and stuff, so "PST" and "UTC" confuses me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #1153
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    805 Posts
    Well I'm from the UK aswell, but the time there is 6:45am

34. Post #1154

July 2010
    1,950 Posts
    I believe valve runs at around GMT-6. So I'd say we have a few hours at the earliest.

35. Post #1155
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    8,759 Posts
    it's GMT -5 here, 9:57 AM
    Canada; QUebec......and still waiting.

Edited:

and hey.....since we see the "Meet the Pyro" in the trailer, maybe..........heh, who am I kidding?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

36. Post #1156
    Gold Member

August 2008
    2,901 Posts
    PST GMT-8, if I'm not mistaken. Estimate release is said to be at 9 AM - and that's in about approximately 2 hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1157
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    805 Posts
    It's 7:03am at Valve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #1158
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    14,710 Posts

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...vue+washington
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #1159
    May 2008
    4,586 Posts
    Haha, it will probably be out by the time I get home then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #1160
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,288 Posts
    Haha, it will probably be out by the time I get home then.
    How many hours?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)