Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,445 Posts
    Playing as Poland:

Befriended Austria
    Conquered Prussia
    Conquered Venice, Italian States
    Kicked Spain's ass, pushing them back to their home country
    Fucked up some French expiditionary units, told them to surrender (they did)
    Great Britain got all fiffy and gave me cash
    Turned on Austria, took over them
    Conquered Sweden
    Currently kicking the ass of Russia

Edited:

How?

Line Infantry out the ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #202
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    I am calling bullshit. They've had more than 8 years to work on it.
    It's not that hard to make each unit do a efficiency check to see if it's facing the enemy the best it can, to make sure they are not hitting a hill, take into account any cover like walls and trees and try to pit the right troops against the right enemy. On top of that it shouldn't be hard to not have the computer deploy in a stretched line and just let it get thinned by light infantry without returning fire.

The AI as it is now just doesn't respond to anything but proximity of troops it feels like.

I am not a programmer, but this isn't impossible. It's just a couple awareness checks.
    What difficulty are you playing on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #203
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Wow i thought i was rich when i got 25k a turn that i hardly had a use for.
    I remember in Napoleon, I converted all my banks into supply depos one turn.

I lost half of my money making ability, but my armies replenish within a single turn now. :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #204
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    Is there a way to do that in Rome and Empire?
    Empire requires modding because there are no unlockable factions like the previous games. You need
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/Empire_AllFactions.rar
    and they go in data/campaign/main. If you start a faction and your city is hidden by fog of war hit L and recruit a unit at that settlement then next turn move him outside to uncover it. Emergent factions(America, Scotland, Naples/Sicily etc) will crash the game. Pirates are also unlocked but they are difficult to play.

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts
    Empire requires modding because there are no unlockable factions like the previous games. You need
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/Empire_AllFactions.rar
    and they go in data/campaign/main. If you start a faction and your city is hidden by fog of war hit L and recruit a unit at that settlement then next turn move him outside to uncover it. Emergent factions(America, Scotland, Naples/Sicily etc) will crash the game. Pirates are also unlocked but they are difficult to play.
    Buccaneer spam GO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    What difficulty are you playing on?
    It don't see the difference between easy and hard. the only difference i remember is that when i did some 1 on 1 tests the computer on hard beat me while on easy it lost using the same tactic of walking toward me and shooting. Aka magic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts
    It don't see the difference between easy and hard. the only difference i remember is that when i did some 1 on 1 tests the computer on hard beat me while on easy it lost using the same tactic of walking toward me and shooting. Aka magic.
    Difficulty changes the morale of units. It has no effect of AI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

8. Post #208
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    The hardest difficulty setting in NTW makes your men have much lower morale than the enemy.

I was surprised during a battle as Prussia. I minced up whole regiments of French with grapeshot and rifles, yet they kept shooting, charging, and re-rallying.

Also 6 Pounder guns in the endgame when they start out with a good amount of Chevrons and there's been tech improvements seem amusingly overpowered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #209
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    You mean elite artillery or just normal ones?

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,057 Posts
    Wurttenburg now controls all of western Europe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

11. Post #211
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    You mean elite artillery or just normal ones?
    Normal ones, If I give them a couple of chevrons and get most of the techs ingame, they seem to reload at an insanely high speed.

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts
    I just found out that Creative Assembly released a Beta for co-op campaign in Empire back in December of 2009. Why the fuck didn't they finish that? That would be amazing.

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    Because they rushed the release out due to Sega.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #214
    I LOVE ANIME AND MAGICAL GIRLS BUT DONT TELL ANYONE
    January 2008
    11,757 Posts
    don't forget about the uniform editor for napoleon

Edited:

damn i'd love to make my own faction, or at least my own, original unit
    you can already conquer the whole world as any bloody country, how about let me make my own faction
    that'd own
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    No. Since post release support is for good developers.

16. Post #216
    I LOVE ANIME AND MAGICAL GIRLS BUT DONT TELL ANYONE
    January 2008
    11,757 Posts
    also modding is dumb as fuck and community modding tools are a bloody joke, crash a lot and almost never work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    This is the publisher that has held onto Sonic for whatever reason and refuses to make Shenmue.

They're releasing fucking Yakuza with zombies in it right now. Sega doesn't give two shits about what anyone thinks.

18. Post #218
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    I see. And this is NTW or ETW? I never played NTW but I do remember ETW having sort of shitty AI. I actually didn't enjoy land battles that much in ETW because they didn't consist of much more than "march up to enemy and shoot".

So yea, the AI is pretty fucked up, but I don't think that the developers knew how to program AI for an army of ranged infantry. I remember Shogun 2, Medieval 2, and Rome being a lot better.

19. Post #219
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    New FoTS video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 3 (list)

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,968 Posts
    That preview image is pretty funny.

I can't wait for those railways. That's what I always hated, having a cannon foundry way back in the heart of my territory and taking multiple turns to get them where they were needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #221
    I just realized I have played every single Total War game except Napoleon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #222
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I just realized I have played every single Total War game except Napoleon.
    Play it, it's a pretty much more well polished out version of Empire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    I see. And this is NTW or ETW? I never played NTW but I do remember ETW having sort of shitty AI. I actually didn't enjoy land battles that much in ETW because they didn't consist of much more than "march up to enemy and shoot".

So yea, the AI is pretty fucked up, but I don't think that the developers knew how to program AI for an army of ranged infantry. I remember Shogun 2, Medieval 2, and Rome being a lot better.
    Napoleon.
    I suppose melee combat is easier on the AI.
    ETW AI is worse than NTW, and i play NTW, but i can't really say the AI is good enough. You can still use cheap tactics.

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,057 Posts
    Plus it has a Peninsular Campaign DLC, so you can live our your Sharpe fantasies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,292 Posts
    The AI makes me cry so much sometimes in Shogun 2. I fought off all the melee units of some enemies invading which left their archers when I hear enemy reinforcements have arrived. Take a look and its about the same size of the original force except its all melee.

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,642 Posts
    I like the general global domination campaign more in Empire than I do in NTW

Also I've played every TW game except the original shogun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #227
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    I like the general global domination campaign more in Empire than I do in NTW

Also I've played every TW game except the original shogun
    I'd love for them to include all continents and 100s of factions in a 500 BC to 500 AD campaign.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts
    New FoTS video.
    Alright, that seals it. I'm buying this the second it comes out.

I mean, fuck, all of the element's they've added just completely justify the purchase completely.
    Also, does this essentially mean that Japan gets turned into one big proxy-war between Imperial powers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #229
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Steamships ramming each other sounds brilliant imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #230
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    One thing better is when you hit the powderhouse of a gallion.

BOOOM!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

31. Post #231
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    I'm more excited about Steamships ramming tiny rowboats filled with archers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #232
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I'm more excited about Steamships ramming tiny rowboats filled with archers.
    The Japanese navy in Shogun 2 is fucking hilarious to watch badly designed floating houses bob in the water helplessly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #233
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    The Japanese navy in Shogun 2 is fucking hilarious to watch badly designed floating houses bob in the water helplessly.
    Shogunate Navy
    Sheds bob in water helplessly
    Better sat on land
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #234
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    Napoleon.
    I suppose melee combat is easier on the AI.
    ETW AI is worse than NTW, and i play NTW, but i can't really say the AI is good enough. You can still use cheap tactics.
    Empire AI is so gungho on throwing everyone at your lines at the same time. I always back myself into one of the corners of the boundaries and dig in for slaughter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #235
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    Alright, that seals it. I'm buying this the second it comes out.

I mean, fuck, all of the element's they've added just completely justify the purchase completely.
    Also, does this essentially mean that Japan gets turned into one big proxy-war between Imperial powers?
    No not really as far as i understand.
    The US, France and Britain just aid in the struggle between the Shogunate and the Emperor.
    I don't think there will be troops of said countries fighting.

36. Post #236
    shatteredwindow's Boy Toy
    April 2010
    6,474 Posts
    Empire AI is so gungho on throwing everyone at your lines at the same time. I always back myself into one of the corners of the boundaries and dig in for slaughter.
    Thats why I found alot of the battles fun, I mean, Having a army made up of around 500-600 troops and around 10 pieces of Artillery with 1,2 or 3 full stacks of a native american troops running at your lines, its just fun to me
    It just reminds me of Zulu

37. Post #237
    June 2011
    8,750 Posts
    No not really as far as i understand.
    The US, France and Britain just aid in the struggle between the Shogunate and the Emperor.
    I don't think there will be troops of said countries fighting.
    Yes there will, you can hire foreign mercenaries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,642 Posts
    are you not in the beta? it's kind of underwhelming... the ships collide but stop immediately. Then whatever got rammed starts to sink pretty fast.

Maybe my ships just aren't going fast enough

39. Post #239
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    are you not in the beta?
    I wish.

40. Post #240
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts
    Alright, this is a chaser to my bitching about the Indian sub-continent.

I've finally managed to crush the Mughal Empire, but at a hell of a cost. Two turns after my seemingly complete victory, and both Sweden (my closest ally, literally) and the Italian states decide to declare war on me.

Italy has three fully-stacked navies and Sweden has two, and they go on a rampage destroying all of my trade fleets. Sweden takes three of my northern-most territories and the Italian States romp the coasts. I've been forced to relocate my Indian armies and move them to the North-African coastline and smash the Italians while my conscript armies push through Northern Russia to take on the Swedes.

I love this game.