1. Post #1921
    Oh hey everyone! I just heard about Dark Souls Prepa- Oh everyone is angry... *leaves*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #1922
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,146 Posts
    You're insane if you're passing this over because of GFWL. Man up.
    I've never had a single problem with GFWL, and I doubt many people here have, they're just rolling along in a stupid bandwagon. The way I see it is if you've had recurring problems with it fair enough, but if you haven't, and you're whining about it to "fit in", then you're a retard. Note that this statement is directed at those who don't bother buying the game or pirate it purely because of this, if you just hate it then fair enough.

My experience has been this with GFWL titles:

Launch game for first time, login, download profile info, update if it needs to.
    Any other time, home button > login > done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #1923
    I've never had a single problem with GFWL, and I doubt many people here have, they're just rolling along in a stupid bandwagon. The way I see it is if you've had recurring problems with it fair enough, but if you haven't, and you're whining about it to "fit in", then you're a retard. Note that this statement is directed at those who don't bother buying the game or pirate it purely because of this, if you just hate it then fair enough.

Launch game for first time, login, download profile info, update if it needs to.
    I've gotten all the games I've bought with GFWL working eventually.

The operative word being "eventually".

It's not a bandwagon, it really is just a fucking terrible service. Just because you don't usually have problems doesn't mean you're in the majority.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #1924
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,146 Posts
    Incredible reading of my post.

The way I see it is if you've had recurring problems with it fair enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

5. Post #1925
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,992 Posts
    I've heard contempt for GFWL and its alleged badness, but so long as I don't get any problems with the game, I won't be too pissed.

What are the exact flaws in GFWL, anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #1926
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    15,791 Posts
    I've heard contempt for GFWL and its alleged badness, but so long as I don't get any problems with the game, I won't be too pissed.

only one i encountered is the login system sometimes is a piece of ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

7. Post #1927
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,134 Posts
    i've never had a problem with gfwl other than that the interface is designed for console users.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1928
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,046 Posts
    GFWL is unimportant right now, Well not really, But I anyone for my question
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

9. Post #1929
    Incredible reading of my post.
    but you're still assuming most people are "rolling along in a stupid bandwagon"

incredible reading of your own post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #1930
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,146 Posts
    but you're still assuming most people are "rolling along in a stupid bandwagon"

incredible reading of your own post
    I assume that because it's probably true, what's your point? I doubt all it's hate comes from it being a shitty service when I know so many people that doesn't have a major problem with it. It's stupid and overblown.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

11. Post #1931
    I assume that because it's probably true, what's your point? I doubt all it's hate comes from it being a shitty service when I know so many people that doesn't have a major problem with it. It's stupid and overblown.
    "you can't dislike this shitty service because i don't have problems with it and therefore most people don't"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #1932
    April 2010
    3,773 Posts

This is all from memory so it might not be 100% correct

1. Region restrictions - Some shit were the game just will not be sold in certain areas of the world basically forcing piracy, and we will hear the publisher bitch about piracy.

2. Save files corruption/completely missing - Was a pretty big problem for Arkham City...think about losing a Dark Souls save late in the game

3. Connection problems resulting in being unable to play/connect

4. Awful setup process. So many times have I personally installed a game and it installs an outdated GFWL which then forces updates and is just a fucking mess

5. Some weird ass login issues were it fails to connect and then basically you're fucked.

I am sure the list goes on but those 5 are just problems I've had and friends have explained to me. I fucking hate GFWL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #1933
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,046 Posts
    Please, Can anyone help me, I'm begging.
    Ignore the lightweight, I see how it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

14. Post #1934
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,146 Posts
    "you can't dislike this shitty service because i don't have problems with it and therefore most people don't"
    if you've had recurring problems with it fair enough, but if you haven't, and you're whining about it to "fit in", then you're a retard.
    Note that this statement is directed at those who don't bother buying the game or pirate it purely because of this, if you just hate it then fair enough.
    Do I need to spoon-feed my post to you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

15. Post #1935
    Do I need to spoon-feed my post to you?
    yes, because it still makes no sense

who exactly is hating it just to "fit in". that's a ridiculous accusation. that petition already has like 3500 signatures, do you really think most of those are just people trying to "fit in"?

even if someone hasn't personally had issues with GFWL they have every right to hate it because it's definitely caused problems for the rest of us. what the hell is the problem here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1936
    Streetwise Angel Booksmart Devil
    January 2010
    3,029 Posts
    Honestly, I've never had a problem with gfwl, and I've played plenty of sfIV:ae. So I'm really, really excited for this, I just hope that it runs well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

17. Post #1937
    August 2009
    2,835 Posts
    Okay, I own this game on PS3.
    I put it down for a few months because of Blighttown    I COULDN'T SEE THE FUCKING ELEVATOR ALRIGHT    When I came back to it recently I got through Blighttown, Wasn't that bad. Now I went and got the gold hemmed black set, Decent for right now, I'm only level 32. Is there anywhere I should go to before I got hit up Anor Londor (After Sens fortress of course) I've already gone back to get the Rusted Iron ring and The Doll for the painted world. Is there anything else
    If you've already done darkroot garden/basin you can probably head to sen's. If you want to and haven't already you can take on Sif. He's a pretty easy boss at any level and you'll need to kill him eventually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #1938
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,226 Posts
    I really dislike GFWL. It's obnoxious, it's inconvenient and convoluted as fuck; but you guys who are saying "I will no longer buy this, GFWL is a deal breaker." are the most awful of PC gamers.

This is probably one of the coolest things to ever happen to PC gaming. A publisher says "we're willing, we just need a petition.", a petition is made and the amount of signatures is astounding. Instead of ignoring the petition and thinking of how to please the Call of Duty audience, they fucking listened and are porting the game because you asked for it.

Quit being such entitled brats and be appreciative for what has just happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #1939
    December 2010
    922 Posts
    I really dislike GFWL. It's obnoxious, it's inconvenient and convoluted as fuck; but you guys who are saying "I will no longer buy this, GFWL is a deal breaker." are the most awful of PC gamers.

This is probably one of the coolest things to ever happen to PC gaming. A publisher says "we're willing, we just need a petition.", a petition is made and the amount of signatures is astounding. Instead of ignoring the petition and thinking of how to please the Call of Duty audience, they fucking listened and are porting the game because you asked for it.

I'm still buying the game, and I appreciate all that From Software is doing, but I signed the petition anyways. Hell, if one petition got them to bring the game over, chances are they'll listen to another if it gets enough hits. It's kind of entitlement to say you won't buy the game unless x, y and z, but what other way is there to change a developer's mind, other than not buying something? GFWL is shit, I literally am unable to use it, so I want it removed. Customers have a right to ask for what they want in a product, they're not forcing the devs to do it and are just voting with their wallets which is their right to do. If people were perfectly complacent with every product they buy there wouldn't be a need to improve it unless someone came around and made a better Dark Souls which frankly isn't a big possibility. I really don't like the word entitlement being thrown around, honestly, because it implies that the person who wants change "deserves" it when really they're telling the developers what they want in a product they may buy. They don't "deserve" a quality product but they deserve the right to at least ask and show their support with their wallet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

20. Post #1940
    June 2010
    307 Posts

You know what? If GFWL was the hardest, shittiest thing to use, lagged like shit and was ridiculously hard to set up, I would be FINE with that. I would deal with it.

But it DOES NOT FUCKING WORK FOR ME AND THOUSANDS OF OTHER PEOPLE. IT RESTRICTS US FROM PLAYING THE GAME.

If you're going to call me an awful PC gamer or an entitled brat because games I buy that I meet the requirements for don't work, then you can fuck off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

21. Post #1941
    April 2010
    2,867 Posts

I don't think it's entitled at all, GFWL has a terrible history of being an all around mess of a platform, I personally have had problems trying to play GTA4 and Bioshock 2 because of it, losing my saves, mandatory updates breaking my game, connection issues.

It's great that they're porting the game over, but it's an insult to make people use such a bad platform. Simply because they listened to the fans and made a port when they didn't have to, doesn't mean putting it on GFWL is any less unacceptable.

But the problems of GFWL don't affect you right? You live in a region where you'll be able buy and play it no problem, you've probably never lost a bunch of save games for no good reason, or just straight up been unable to play the games you've paid for due to the service not working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #1942
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,226 Posts
    I'm still buying the game, and I appreciate all that From Software is doing, but I signed the petition anyways. Hell, if one petition got them to bring the game over, chances are they'll listen to another if it gets enough hits. It's kind of entitlement to say you won't buy the game unless x, y and z, but what other way is there to change a developer's mind, other than not buying something? GFWL is shit, I literally am unable to use it, so I want it removed. Customers have a right to ask for what they want in a product, they're not forcing the devs to do it and are just voting with their wallets which is their right to do. If people were perfectly complacent with every product they buy there wouldn't be a need to improve it unless someone came around and made a better Dark Souls which frankly isn't a big possibility. I really don't like the word entitlement being thrown around, honestly, because it implies that the person who wants change "deserves" it when really they're telling the developers what they want in a product they may buy. They don't "deserve" a quality product but they deserve the right to at least ask and show their support with their wallet.
    I whole-heatedly agree with you. I just don't think this attitude of "I WANT IT LIKE THIS AND IF I DON'T GET IT LIKE THIS..." attitude is just. I too signed the petition as I'd love to see the lesser of evils when it comes to DRM be utilized over GFWL.

But about your interpretation of entitlement, I think it absolutely applies to this situation. A lot of people are acting as if they've done something to earn this aside from just being vocal and complaining. It's a sense of entitlement they have that has no business being there for those who having GFWL is only a mere inconvenience. If you live in one of those countries that makes it fucking impossible to consistently play (or at all) GFWL games, then I think you should yell louder.

23. Post #1943
    April 2010
    2,867 Posts
    I whole-heatedly agree with you. I just don't think this attitude of "I WANT IT LIKE THIS AND IF I DON'T GET IT LIKE THIS..." attitude is just. I too signed the petition as I'd love to see the lesser of evils when it comes to DRM be utilized over GFWL.

But about your interpretation of entitlement, I think it absolutely applies to this situation. A lot of people are acting as if they've done something to earn this aside from just being vocal and complaining. It's a sense of entitlement they have that has no business being there.
    I haven't seen anyone acting as if they deserve Dark Souls for the PC exactly how they want it, just people mad, quite rightly, that From has made such a silly mistake putting it on GFWL, and stating their disapproval along with signing the petition in an attempt to see if things can be changed. I haven't been reading the thread too carefully so maybe some people have been acting this way, if so point them out for me and I will concede that you make a valid point about entitlement.

I already have the game on PS3, so if the PC version suffers significantly lowered functionality due to being on GFWL, I honestly don't have a problem with not buying it even though I would love to. If it works great then I'll be fine with it being on GFWL but I don't think that is likely gonna be the case, I have not once had a smooth sailing experience with GFWL.

I have seen people pointing out that from the developer's perspective, releasing the game for GFWL is easier and more cost effective for a number of reasons, and this may be the case, but if the game is tethered by GFWL, it's probably going to be a bad port and I don't want to pay for a bad port.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #1944
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,146 Posts
    GFWL aside, do you think ""Quick matching for co-op" will also allow for friends to join us through private means, instead of waiting for your summon sign to appear in your friends world while hoping not to be summoned by some random person?

25. Post #1945
    April 2010
    2,867 Posts
    wat, why is 1000000 the goal. i think even the original dark souls on pc petition was only like 150000 signatures, if that.
    The reason why 1 million is the goal is so it doesn't cap out before everyone has had their chance to sign, I think the first petition got about 92000 signs. 100000 would be a more sensible cap I think.

26. Post #1946
    April 2010
    404 Posts
    what i find amazing is the fact that we got what we asked for

ye gfwl sucks but there are ways around it im sure we will get past it we did it for red faction we did it for batman

and as many have said i have not hat an issue with gfwl (except with age of empires online)

i for one will buy it even if it does have gfwl and if gfwl sucks ill try and get ways round it but at the core of this think about it dark souls is coming for the pc we need to rejoice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1947
    April 2011
    1,385 Posts
    Man I think I need to take a break from Dark Souls. I've been playing it so much that I keep making new builds just to never finish them. I guess it's that time, I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

28. Post #1948
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,637 Posts
    Please, Can anyone help me, I'm begging.
    Ignore the lightweight, I see how it is.
    Usually people need to know what the problem is before helping. No one's going to bother looking at your last posts to figure out what you're asking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1949
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,929 Posts

On WinXP GFWL worked for me for a while, until one day it randomly stopped connecting at all. It gave me some Hamachi error although I had uninstalled Hamachi months ago. I setup my internet again many times, switched routers, did a complete hard drive wipe and reinstalled Windows, still didn't work. I was unable to play or connect several new games I had bought. Now, normally this wouldn't really matter to me. I play GTAIV with XLiveless as well as Fallout 3 etc (who really gives a shit about GFWL achievements?). But in Dark Souls the MP component is very integral to the singleplayer experience as well and the game doesn't feel complete without it.
    Now, GFWL works for me again now that I upgraded to W7 but I have been keeping away from it ever since my first problems. For all I know it could stop working again for no reason and I'd be locked out of the MP component of my games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

30. Post #1950
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    9,358 Posts
    Sign this petition if you don't want GFWL

http://www.change.org/petitions/namc...r-windows-live
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #1951
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    14,970 Posts
    I've never had a problem with GFWL either, but it's still clunky and outdated. It kinda craps on an otherwise good port.

My main concern is the framerate though, why did the trailer run at essentially console framerates? Is it locked to 30 fps? It goes even below 30 at some points. That would be my dealbreaker and even if I wanna see the new content, I'm not willing to at crap framerates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1952
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,929 Posts
    I've never had a problem with GFWL either, but it's still clunky and outdated. It kinda craps on an otherwise good port.

My main concern is the framerate though, why did the trailer run at essentially console framerates? Is it locked to 30 fps? It goes even below 30 at some points. That would be my dealbreaker and even if I wanna see the new content, I'm not willing to at crap framerates.
    Youtube doesn't support 60FPS IIRC

Edited:

Still, there's a chance of it being locked at 30FPS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

33. Post #1953
    December 2009
    3,685 Posts
    the wait has begun
    and i already can't take it ;-;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

34. Post #1954
    August 2009
    2,835 Posts
    Youtube doesn't support 60FPS IIRC

Edited:

Still, there's a chance of it being locked at 30FPS.
    I was about to say, can you even tell what the framerate is from a youtube video? I mean I can't even always see the difference between 30 and 60 fps in person.

35. Post #1955
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,255 Posts
    To all those who said the GFWL is just a rumour:
    The boxart is offical, posted on their Facebook site:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

36. Post #1956
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,445 Posts
    Had my first taste of Sen's Fortress.
    I see he has an uncanny affinity for traps.

I made it to the first mimic, I recognized it was one so I got the first hit but it ended up killing me with its grab. RIP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

37. Post #1957
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,992 Posts
    I'm hoping this petition works; the way bionic pitched GFWL's flaws makes me more inclined to disapprove of GFWL being tossed into our Dark Souls. Steamworks is the only option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #1958
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,913 Posts

I can't see any possible reason to lock it to 30. Also YT videos aren't at 60FPS anyway.

Still yeah you aren't the only one worried about that, the Manticore fight looked really slow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

39. Post #1959
    Gay Member #1
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,519 Posts
    Ahahah really everyone getting fucking buttmad over GFWL, its not even noticeable and if you really want you can remove it from most games with ease.

You'll bitch and moan right now and then pick it up when it comes out, if not who else cares but you? You aint getting this amazing game on PC with extra content so why don't you keep it to yourselves okay? To say this ruined your week is just pathetic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #1960
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,519 Posts
    Ahahah really everyone getting fucking buttmad over GFWL, its not even noticeable and if you really want you can remove it from most games with ease.

You'll bitch and moan right now and then pick it up when it comes out, if not who else cares but you? You aint getting this amazing game on PC with extra content so why don't you keep it to yourselves okay? To say this ruined your week is just pathetic.
    How do you defend regional restrictions?
    I can't buy most GFWL games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)