1. Post #1
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    I myself am completely stumped as to why white men in particular commit suicide so often, so you won't get a very zealous response for me. Although I'm not sternly sure of any of them, I do have a few guesses as to why:

There is much more social pressure on white men to become "successful," which comes with much more social consequences for failure or having a very limited income for into adulthood.
    Perhaps people in communities that are more dangerous appreciate safety and self-preservation?
    In American White culture, happiness, or "success" is often defined on material possession, which according to many psychologists, is not the key to happiness(APA).
    White culture in the United States appears to be less social and more individualistic. Personally, I've observed that in Hispanic and Black neighborhoods people seem to know each other better.

I really don't know, but I find it to be an interesting sociology question, and because I don't have a strong opinion, I think that this should be a very interesting conversation.

http://www.suicide.org/suicide-statistics.html

http://www.apa.org/research/action/rich.aspx

This is per 100,000 people. That means that having a higher population will NOT cause a group to have a higher suicide rate based on how these statistics were taken. Stop saying that it's because there are more white people.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,298 Posts
    Because they're the majority race?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,855 Posts
    too much white guilt

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    "White Problems" like depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc etc etc.

5. Post #5
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,079 Posts
    Does this rate take in that there are more white than any other race in the US?

6. Post #6
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts
    It's an interesting question, I can't really put my finger on it.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,716 Posts
    White people make up 72% of the American population. Hispanics/latinos are next with a whopping 16.3%. Its no wonder that out of 300+ million people, whites have the highest suicide rate. These are 2010 census numbers. Blacks are actually third with 12.6%

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    Yes.

Edited:

White people make up 72% of the American population. Blacks are next with a whopping 12.6%. Its no wonder that out of 300+ million people, whites have the highest suicide rate. These are 2010 census numbers.
    The percentage of white people who commit suicide is also much higher.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemi...ce_and_suicide

9. Post #9
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,248 Posts
    Also I believe hispanics are considered to be white when doing the statistics.

10. Post #10
    White Male seeking K-Pop Harem
    January 2012
    3,008 Posts
    To escape the increasing minorities.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    Part of it may be that religious people are less likely to commit suicide, and African Americans have the highest levels of religious affiliation in the US.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,716 Posts
    No their counted by themselves, they account for 16.3% of the American population. 11.5 million or so are illegal though.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    1,355 Posts
    More materialistic (due to more wealth), less emphasis on family.

14. Post #14
    July 2010
    866 Posts
    Must be because they're white.

15. Post #15
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    Yes, it's per 100,000.

16. Post #16
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    This is so fucking retarded. It's because there are six times as many white people as any other race.

17. Post #17
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    This is so fucking retarded. It's because there are six times as many white people as any other race.
    It's per 100,000. It's proportionate. Read.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,083 Posts
    Cuz we can't jump or dance.

19. Post #19
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    in all likelihood it's cultural.
    gay people as a population suffer from even higher suicide rates so it's a very tricky question.

20. Post #20
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    According to a study done in 2002, Hispanics commit suicide less often than Asians, who commit suicide significantly less than White people.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,660 Posts
    oh it's easy. it's because white people are more affluent in america and depression is a disease of affluence

22. Post #22
    September 2011
    119 Posts
    Being a white it's easy to say we are the whiniest sons of bitches to walk the planet.

23. Post #23
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    I think self-esteem is a huge factor. When people see a black janitor they generally think "He's making the best of life that he can." and "He's humble and taking care of his family.". When people see a white janitor, they think "He's probably an alcoholic, maybe he's a little drunk right now." and "He probably made some really bad decisions when he was in college.".

Even if a white person is doing well, however, it seems that there's constantly a pressure to keep doing better and not be satisfied with what you have, and if a white person claims to want to just "be happy with what they have," people immediately think that it's just an excuse because they failed to be "the big wheel."

Edited:

Being a white it's easy to say we are the whiniest sons of bitches to walk the planet.
    And I think it's partly because our culture almost encourages it at times.

24. Post #24
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,433 Posts
    "White Problems" like depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc etc etc.
    The term is "first world problems", the idea that emotions are a mental disorder applies to all races.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    396 Posts
    *cough, THE JEWS cough cough*

(User was banned for this post ("This isn't how you post in Mass Debate" - Swebonny))

(User was permabanned for this post ("Extended, doesn't want to be here." - Swebonny))

26. Post #26
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    In all honesty, I hope that the reasons for these statistics become a common source of argument, much like science, politics and religion.

27. Post #27

August 2011
    772 Posts
    According to a study done in 2002, Hispanics commit suicide less often than Asians, who commit suicide significantly less than White people.
    Except that one forest in Japan, or all those factory workers in China, where they built nets on the buildings to keep them from killing them selves.

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    Except that one forest in Japan, or all those factory workers in China, where they built nets on the buildings to keep them from killing them selves.
    This is just in the United States. You don't need to have any critical thinking skills to understand why those factory workers are attempting suicide.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,735 Posts
    It's because they can't dance, you know what I'm sayin? Too many nights getting overplayed by the dancing minorities and he gets depressed for not getting his honeybuns, knowm sayin'? When too much rejection + job stress and all that comes to play, crackaz just wanna pop, gnome sayin?

30. Post #30
    February 2011
    1,416 Posts
    they can't stand the burden of having the easiest life of any race

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,181 Posts
    Probably a sense of entitlement that causes them to get pissy when things go badly.

But you know, that's natural selection in action, as cold as that sounds.

Also, with the world economy as shit as it is, (middle class) whites lost the most wealth, which can drive otherwise happy people to suicide when their decent standard of living gets obliterated by Wall Street's bad behavior.

32. Post #32
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    they can't stand the burden of having the easiest life of any race
    If it were a race that normally did poorly economically, this wouldn't be a discussion. The fact that it's the race that normally did the best economically that's committing suicide is what makes it interesting.

33. Post #33
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Statistically, people with higher IQs are more likely to commit suicide than people with lower ones.
    Also statistically, white people have a higher IQ than most minorities.

note that I'm not implying that white people are inherently smarter, it's an environmental thing.

34. Post #34
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    Statistically, people with higher IQs are more likely to commit suicide than people with lower ones.
    Also statistically, white people have a higher IQ than most minorities.

note that I'm not implying that white people are inherently smarter, it's an environmental thing.
    Perhaps. White people tend to have more time, and people with a lot of time think deeply about certain things, which can lead to depression. Many philosophers, such as Otto Weininger have committed suicide.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,502 Posts
    Average white person does better then the average not white person so when a white person fails they look at other white people and see how well off they are so they think that they are so far off as losers and failure they kill themselves.

36. Post #36
    Super Hoborator
    May 2007
    6,847 Posts
    In my high school, whites were actually the minority.

Indians and Asians took up more than half the 2000+ kids at my school.

I was bullied for being white

37. Post #37
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    6,329 Posts
    1. first world problems

2. There are, in fact, more white people than anyone else.

3. As to the IQ thing, white people tend to have more educational opportunities and logistical largesse. Big surprise that an aggregate IQ score would reflect this.

Edited:

Hasn't been the case for quite a while.

38. Post #38
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    1. first world problems

2. There are, in fact, more white people than anyone else.

3. As to the IQ thing, white people tend to have more educational opportunities and logistical largesse. Big surprise that an aggregate IQ score would reflect this.

Edited:

Hasn't been the case for quite a while.
    IQ is unrelated to education. it's capacity to learn, not knowledge.

also "first world problems" are still problems

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,944 Posts
    Yet blacks, who only take up 12-13% of the the US is said to commit the most crimes.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,991 Posts
    It seems that, in general, affluence is the strongest argument here as others have said.

When a good portion of things are going well and have went well your entire life, it gives you more to focus on in the negative, whereas if you're struggling to survive, you learn to be happy with what you have. That, and the "You're not all you can be" argument. I'm under constant pressure to be the first person in my family to go to college and such.

You may say "first world problems", but you can't really get mad at people for having those problems when they are the only problems a person has known.