1. Post #41
    July 2009
    2,096 Posts
    It seems that, in general, affluence is the strongest argument here as others have said.

When a good portion of things are going well and have went well your entire life, it gives you more to focus on in the negative, whereas if you're struggling to survive, you learn to be happy with what you have. That, and the "You're not all you can be" argument. I'm under constant pressure to be the first person in my family to go to college and such.

You may say "first world problems", but you can't really get mad at people for having those problems when they are the only problems a person has known.
    I'm personally dealing with the second one. My wife is a poor woman who is originally from Guatemala, and I've known plenty of people in heavy in poverty, so I do the best that I think someone in my situation can to be appreciative. What's difficult for me (ironically) is that I realize that I have more opportunities than other people and my biggest fear in the world is not using my resources to their full potential. I think I could contently live with the material end of having a crappy job, but I think I would take a psychological toll that would make me very depressed. I'm only 20 and am almost done with an associate's degree and know where I can work after I get my bachelor's degree. But even if everything is set, I always have that lingering fear of not appearing to do well.

2. Post #42
    Dennab
    September 2010
    2,109 Posts
    White people have higher IQs than most minorities and as a result, have psychological problems such as depression and anxiety due to deeper thought processes. It's true, you never really see a black person or a Latino who's depressed or has anxiety.

3. Post #43
    July 2009
    2,096 Posts
    Also, very appropriate username :)

Edited:

White people have higher IQs than most minorities and as a result, have psychological problems such as depression and anxiety due to deeper thought processes. It's true, you never really see a black person or a Latino who's depressed or has anxiety.
    Let's encourage them to challenge themselves intellectually so that they can be deep and depressive like us :buddy:.

Edited:

My dad, who has bi-polar, manic depression and an IQ of 156, said that psychological processes are like driving on a freeway. If you step on the gas, you can get to new places much faster, but sometimes when you step too fast, you skid and crash.

4. Post #44
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Also, very appropriate username :)

Edited:

Let's encourage them to challenge themselves intellectually so that they can be deep and depressive like us :buddy:.

Edited:

My dad, who has bi-polar, manic depression and an IQ of 156, said that psychological processes are like driving on a freeway. If you step on the gas, you can get to new places much faster, but sometimes when you step too fast, you skid and crash.
    if that's the case I'm somewhere in the middle of an 18 car pileup

5. Post #45
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    IQ is unrelated to education. it's capacity to learn, not knowledge.

also "first world problems" are still problems
    As usual your opinions are stupid and baseless, even countered by a thread on this very site relating to education and IQ, and the dispositions thereof. IQ is amalgamated grouping of several types of aptitude, some which are learned. Perhaps you should do some research before posting, research that doesn't involve clicking on the first link of horribly misspelled field query.

depressed
    Your magical world sounds fascinating.

6. Post #46
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    As usual your opinions are stupid and baseless, even countered by a thread on this very site relating to education and IQ, and the dispositions thereof. IQ is amalgamated grouping of several types of aptitude, some which are learned. Perhaps you should do some research before posting, research that doesn't involve clicking on the first link of horribly misspelled field query.

Your magical world sounds fascinating.
    You're a legitimately terrible person.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    11,918 Posts
    I think self-esteem is a huge factor. When people see a black janitor they generally think "He's making the best of life that he can." and "He's humble and taking care of his family.". When people see a white janitor, they think "He's probably an alcoholic, maybe he's a little drunk right now." and "He probably made some really bad decisions when he was in college."
    maybe it's just me but I usually think "that guy is a janitor"

8. Post #48
    Insensitive Jackass
    June 2011
    1,945 Posts
    They sit on facebook and other social networking sites everyday and believe everyone live the perfect lives. When in reality everyone try to make it look like they live perfect lives.

So weak minded white people is killing each other. Neutral Selection!

Other races don't got time for it.

9. Post #49
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    They sit on facebook and other social networking sites everyday and believe everyone live the perfect lives. When in reality everyone try to make it look like they live perfect lives.

So weak minded white people is killing each other. Neutral Selection!

Other races don't got time for it.
    oh god, what have we done to deserve this incredible

10. Post #50
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    I think self-esteem is a huge factor. When people see a black janitor they generally think "He's making the best of life that he can." and "He's humble and taking care of his family.". When people see a white janitor, they think "He's probably an alcoholic, maybe he's a little drunk right now." and "He probably made some really bad decisions when he was in college.".

Even if a white person is doing well, however, it seems that there's constantly a pressure to keep doing better and not be satisfied with what you have, and if a white person claims to want to just "be happy with what they have," people immediately think that it's just an excuse because they failed to be "the big wheel."

Edited:

And I think it's partly because our culture almost encourages it at times.
    My old janitor was white, so was the other one, they were both pretty awesome people.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    484 Posts
    Being a philosophy minor, and having spent hours on meditation and reflection, I can tell you that having the time to reflect on the frailty of life and how short our lives are is definitely a reason why Caucasians have the highest suicide rate. And having one of the lower religious rates, you realize that the only reason most people get in to religion is to help them not think about death, because they assume that suddenly there is something eternal, without death, and then they try to be a part of that, thinking that maybe they'll get to be eternal as well, and avoid death.

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,369 Posts
    snip

13. Post #53
    July 2009
    2,096 Posts
    Being a philosophy minor, and having spent hours on meditation and reflection, I can tell you that having the time to reflect on the frailty of life and how short our lives are is definitely a reason why Caucasians have the highest suicide rate. And having one of the lower religious rates, you realize that the only reason most people get in to religion is to help them not think about death, because they assume that suddenly there is something eternal, without death, and then they try to be a part of that, thinking that maybe they'll get to be eternal as well, and avoid death.

What religion also offers is a sense of community and something more powerful than yourself being on your side. I felt both of those things when I was a little Christian and I felt the first one when I was a Buddhist 7 years later. It gives you a uniform, a social group and makes you feel like you have a community even when you are alone. I sometimes envy people who are convinced of a religion.

Although, you could take the thinking path of Carl Sagan and allow the complexity and vastness of the universe become something to inspire your curiosity and awe, rather than making you feel depressed about how small we are.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,721 Posts
    I once read an journal on suicide rates, patterns and its prevalence in different countries (too lazy to find the actual journal though, i think the study was conducted by Stanford). Basically they were suggesting that suicide rate is directly proportional to the quality of life. Surprisingly, in war torn and impoverished countries suicide rates were super low to pretty much non-existent. For people in those countries, bombs and shit luck were a way of life and totally normal. For instance, it mentioned a Vietnamese kid who was born during the war and when the war was over, he was actually surprised that he didn't have to go and hide in holes and shit all the time to escape the bombardments. For him constantly hiding from air raids was normal. On the other hand, it showed that in developed countries the smallest financial set-backs could potentially send people into severe depression and consequently make them commit suicide.

Now going back to the op. "Whites", generally speaking, have better living standards. So, a small problem can have more impact on them than any other demographic in the US.

"She didn't want to be my prom date, i'm a worthless loser"
    *time to slit my wrist*

Or

"bank foreclosed my home, i'm gonna go jump off a building now"

etc

You get the idea. Like others said, suicide is a "first world problem".

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts
    lol @ anybody who thinks IQ is a worthwhile test of anything in this day and age

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,136 Posts
    I find it interesting the opinions spoken so brazenly from those who have never felt anything like severe depression or suicidal thoughts. They can exist in all races equally, it doesn't matter if you're black-n-white or white with a little Asian.. And there is no defined path to Depression or suicide either, nearly every PhD in the field of Psychology has found some cause for depression... mal-nutrition, quality of life, genetics, sunlight exposure, drugs (ie caffeine), how you were raised as an infant, shoes being too small, and etc, etc.. That doesn't mean they're wrong, but i think it means they've all bitten off a small piece of a grander picture.

Severe depression truly sucks, I know personally- right up to the suicidal thoughts and yet on an analytical level it is strange and fascinating too, it's not like you're sitting there in a dark room "Oh F- my life! She broke up with me, my job sucks, i hate my car, and I have money issues! I'm going to kill myself!", thats normal depression that everyone experiences when going through that rough patch in life (minus the suicide bit), so tough up and grow up it'll get better if you work for it. Severe depression is different, you don't always have reason for it to be there. You could be at your wedding, walk out to the back for a breath of fresh air and get hit. You don't always become all depressive and mopey either, sometimes its just the idea of ending it idling in the back of your head like a motor with something occasionally pushing on the accelerator.

I don't know why I have it, I just always have. It's a normal albeit somewhat abstract part of my life. Something I have come to terms with, though it can be annoying. I'd almost be willing to say Intelligence as being an almost rational cure...

In my case, I didn't want to kill myself but the thoughts were always there during a particularly dark part of my life. So in effort to find a reason outside of going back to religion or pharmacology I dove into Quantum and Astrophysics, General Relativity, String theories, Chemistry, and as many different sciences as you can name. I have a vast appreciation for just existing now, the world around us and how much we take it for granted are ASTOUNDING. I don't hear the motor nearly as much, and when I do i can put it in its place with what I have learned. That doesn't mean it's still not there though, but I definitely think my understanding of our world helped the issue.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    15,982 Posts
    so much generalisation in here, lets just say all black people commit crimes, live a shitty life, and get hunted by hate groups every day

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    I can't tell if this is supposed to be ironic or not. Either way, it's very ignorant.

19. Post #59
    August 2011
    272 Posts
    I am less impressed by the fact the majority has a higher suicide rate & more impressed by the fact that the minority trumps the majority's homicide rate. Whats up with that?

20. Post #60
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    lol @ anybody who thinks IQ is a worthwhile test of anything in this day and age
    Pretty much. It does point to natural or adopted facility for quickly and concisely arranging facts and theories and putting them to use.

21. Post #61
    Dennab
    September 2010
    2,109 Posts
    I can't tell if this is supposed to be ironic or not. Either way, it's very ignorant.
    Prove it wrong.

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    Prove it wrong.
    Most of the people I know are either black or latino. They most certainly do get depression and anxiety, just as much as any white person.

23. Post #63
    July 2009
    2,096 Posts
    I think relative deprivation may be a factor as well. Today, we have technology, such as the computers and smart phones that we're using to make these posts, but still many of us feel like we just don't have enough. In the 1950's, families generally had one television and one car, and that was suppose to be the "easy life." Human beings assess their success relative to the success of those around them. This may have served the purpose of making us competitive for resources. And now, what you have in the United States is often a reflection of how "successful" you are.

Edited:

Well, I think that a high IQ proves that you're superbly intelligent to some degree, but I also believe that a low IQ doesn't prove anything.

24. Post #64
    Dennab
    September 2010
    2,109 Posts
    Most of the people I know are either black or latino. They most certainly do get depression and anxiety, just as much as any white person.
    Contrary for what I've seen.

25. Post #65
    July 2009
    2,096 Posts
    Contrary for what I've seen.
    My Hispanic and Latina wife's father, who is also Hispanic and Latin, has depressive fits and manic fits.

26. Post #66
    Dennab
    September 2010
    2,109 Posts
    1. first world problems
    How does this make someone's problems any less valid because they're not fucking starving in a third world country? Yeah some people bitch about the dumbest shit and are ungrateful but depression/anxiety etc are valid problems and they're real.

Edited:

My Hispanic and Latina wife's father, who is also Hispanic and Latin, has depressive fits and manic fits.
    Still doesn't answer the question of why whites have a higher suicide rate, these are statistics not hearsay like "oh yeah well I know a guy and he's latino and he's depressed". Obviously they are more prone to depression?

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    Still doesn't answer the question of why whites have a higher suicide rate, these are statistics not hearsay like "oh yeah well I know a guy and he's latino and he's depressed". Obviously they are more prone to depression?
    I'm just rebutting your point of "It's true, you never really see a black person or a Latino who's depressed or has anxiety." which is absolutely not true at all.

And I want to see your sources on the correlation of higher IQ and suicide rates.

28. Post #68
    February 2010
    7,903 Posts

29. Post #69
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,886 Posts
    Except IQ tests don't measure the depth or complexity of your thought processes, they just measure your logic and reasoning ability, as well as some common knowledge.

I'd say it has to do more with the fact that suicide rates in general have risen with the process of industrialization.
    And since white people have been leading the market in industrialized jobs for quite some time, they have seen the major impact of the suicide rate rise.

30. Post #70
    Dennab
    September 2010
    2,109 Posts
    Except IQ tests don't measure the depth or complexity of your thought processes, they just measure your logic and reasoning ability, as well as some common knowledge.

I'd say it has to do more with the fact that suicide rates in general have risen with the process of industrialization.
    And since white people have been leading the market in industrialized jobs for quite some time, they have seen the major impact of the suicide rate rise.
    It was a ruse. I just wanted to see what counter-arguments people could come up with for someone with that viewpoint.

31. Post #71
    July 2009
    2,096 Posts
    How does this make someone's problems any less valid because they're not fucking starving in a third world country? Yeah some people bitch about the dumbest shit and are ungrateful but depression/anxiety etc are valid problems and they're real.

Edited:

No, I was just saying that depression isn't just caused by "first world problems."

32. Post #72
    February 2008
    6 Posts
    They have failed to make an all white society. That's why. Kidding. Now time to be serious. It may be because a psychological struggle. Depression isn't a word I like to use or more or less care for but it exists and how a person deals with it can be at times be fatal. Now whether or not that accounts for most of the suicides I can't say, but it is an issue that should be pushed aside very calmly regarding the issue.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    can't have the darkies getting ahead of us, we gotta have the highest suicide rate too!

34. Post #74
    mrawr~
    November 2009
    3,631 Posts
    because being white is such a bringdown, man :c

35. Post #75
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Because blacks are superior

36. Post #76
    March 2010
    793 Posts
    wow. white people are not predisposed to-. Okay, first of all IQ means shit. 2nd of all, are you saying that white people have deeper thought processes then, lets say me, because they're white?

37. Post #77
    January 2010
    9,787 Posts
    wow. white people are not predisposed to-. Okay, first of all IQ means shit. 2nd of all, are you saying that white people have deeper thought processes then, lets say me, because they're white?
    You have to understand that the African race has a major history of being very devolved education wise. Up until the MLK days blacks never had the exact same level of education as whites. Obviously they wouldn't be as intelligent. Sorry if i came off as racist and I don't tihnk this is any reason to discriminate against black people before anyone flips shit.

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,102 Posts
    Because no one loves white men.

39. Post #79
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    White people are wealthier and depression is a first-world problem.
    If you're poor you don't have much time to over think the situation you're in - you're busy trying to just survive the day.

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    Suicide is a luxury poor people can't afford.