1. Post #1121
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    Nordic Super-Kingdom versus Unified Islamic Empire.

I like where this is going.
    Swear fealty to the Nordic King. Unite the Holy Roman Empire under his name. Then kill ALL of the infidels!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

2. Post #1122
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    So did SoI balance Muslim manpower? The Pope's granted me the Kingdom of Jerusalem (I'm playing as de Normandie King of England) and I want to know how fucked I am.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1123
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,399 Posts
    So did SoI balance Muslim manpower? The Pope's granted me the Kingdom of Jerusalem (I'm playing as de Normandie King of England) and I want to know how fucked I am.
    Very. I seen mulism armies up to the size of 50k in 1090s.

FUCK YOU Hash assassins! You killed my fucking son!

4. Post #1124
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I converted a CK1 game (Where I rose from being a converted Finnish count to the king of a fairly sizeable area now known as "Greater Finland") to EU3.

However I converted in 1266 just to see what would happen.

Turned out that almost all of Europe consists of OPMs, and half of my glorious kingdom consists of colonies.

5. Post #1125
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    I converted a CK1 game (Where I rose from being a converted Finnish count to the king of a fairly sizeable area now known as "Greater Finland") to EU3.

However I converted in 1266 just to see what would happen.

Turned out that almost all of Europe consists of OPMs, and half of my glorious kingdom consists of colonies.
    How do you convert from CK1 to EU3?

6. Post #1126
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #1127
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #1128
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    967 Posts
    Does it work w/ For The Glory by any chance??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #1129
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Does it work w/ For The Glory by any chance??
    No, but in CK1 DV there should be a converter to EU2 already. (Or look up on the forums, my info on it is a bit hazy)

10. Post #1130
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,830 Posts
    Fuck Norway and their elective Monarchy. The Queen of Norway had no sons, so I killed her husband and married her myself. I got a son and he's an adult now, even owns a province in Scotland, but Norway's goddamn elective Monarchy means I have to try and kill everyone else for him to be first in line.

I already killed two Dukes, now the favoured one is in the Orkney with only 3 people in his court. What the fuck am I supposed to do now?
    Wait, nevermind. My wife just died and my son inherited a good part of Norway, and now I can Usurp it, give it to my son and then claim the rest of Norway.

I can be a King and have a King loyal to me right? Or do I have to wait until I form Britannia first?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

11. Post #1131
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    6,240 Posts
    Guys, I have Crusader Kings II and I really want to get into it. I did all the tutorials and started a campaign (King of England, fuck yeah) but nothing seems to be working. Even after the tutorials, it's as if I'm way out of my depth. I've got Normandy attacking me with an army of 5k, and the King of Norway attacking me with an army of 7k. When I rally my realm troops, there's barely enough of them to beat back the enemy armies - in fact, there isn't enough of them as I lose every battle I come across.

My original plans were to subjugate Scotland, Ireland and Wales (maybe even turn them into England) before setting my sights on France yet I can't even manage affairs in my own kingdom. So any tips on what to do?

Also, unrelated question to the army one, I've got some guy who's at risk of losing my kingdom to someone in his line (I guess through marriage or whatever). What can I do to ensure that the piece of land is kept as England after he's dead? Marry him to someone from my household?

12. Post #1132
    June 2012
    1,965 Posts
    Wait, nevermind. My wife just died and my son inherited a good part of Norway, and now I can Usurp it, give it to my son and then claim the rest of Norway.

I can be a King and have a King loyal to me right? Or do I have to wait until I form Britannia first?
    You must be an Emperor first. I find it stupid personally, you should be able to make some of family-pact, but whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #1133
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,830 Posts
    You must be an Emperor first. I find it stupid personally, you should be able to make some of family-pact, but whatever.
    Damn. I hold all of Scotland, Ireland and most of Wales but I still only have 37/67. I can pick up another 7 from my De Jure Kingdoms and Duchies but I still need another 7 on top of that. If I form Norway I can probably grab Caithness for another, then I just have to keep attacking England.

They really make it difficult for anyone other than England to form Britannia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

14. Post #1134
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    Guys, I have Crusader Kings II and I really want to get into it. I did all the tutorials and started a campaign (King of England, fuck yeah) but nothing seems to be working. Even after the tutorials, it's as if I'm way out of my depth. I've got Normandy attacking me with an army of 5k, and the King of Norway attacking me with an army of 7k. When I rally my realm troops, there's barely enough of them to beat back the enemy armies - in fact, there isn't enough of them as I lose every battle I come across.

My original plans were to subjugate Scotland, Ireland and Wales (maybe even turn them into England) before setting my sights on France yet I can't even manage affairs in my own kingdom. So any tips on what to do?

Also, unrelated question to the army one, I've got some guy who's at risk of losing my kingdom to someone in his line (I guess through marriage or whatever). What can I do to ensure that the piece of land is kept as England after he's dead? Marry him to someone from my household?
    If you want a more stable game as a King of England, play as William the Conquerer after he gets crowned. Harold Godwinson has a really, really tough time holding onto his throne and resisting the Norman invasion.

As for the second question, are you saying that the heir of one of your vassals isn't a member of your realm? Check if the vassal in question is married or has any children; childless vassals are probably the #1 reason for losing vassals upon succession. A vassal that has an active line of succession is much more likely to stay as part of your realm.

Be careful with female vassals as if they don't marry matrilineally then that means their children inherit all her land but aren't a member of her dynasty. This can be problematic if your vassals are marrying foreign nobles, as it means (unless your crown law is high enough) that once she dies and her children inherit they'll be considered their father's children rather than hers, and so will most likely serve their father's liege.

15. Post #1135
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    967 Posts
    No, but in CK1 DV there should be a converter to EU2 already. (Or look up on the forums, my info on it is a bit hazy)
    I mean can you go from DV to FTG?
    For The Glory is basically Darkest Hour for EU2, so can you still drag and drop the finished save file (Deus Vult) into the save folder in FTG?

16. Post #1136
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I mean can you go from DV to FTG?
    For The Glory is basically Darkest Hour for EU2, so can you still drag and drop the finished save file (Deus Vult) into the save folder in FTG?
    It (Should) probably work after you converted it. It's still somewhat different from EU2 vanilla though, so don't be too surprised at oddities popping up.

Then again in my original conversion, the entirety of Europe was made mostly of OPMs.

17. Post #1137
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    Come to think of it, has anyone ever managed to keep the Godwinsons on the english throne? The only way I can think of Harold not dying is for him to assassinate William the Bastard, and assassinations don't come cheap so it isn't really a viable option as your first action or so in the game.

Edited:

Also in my current game the Pope hates me but he loves how I'm like the only European power that goes on crusades. All my overseas territories I've earned by crusading.

18. Post #1138
    Come to think of it, has anyone ever managed to keep the Godwinsons on the english throne? The only way I can think of Harold not dying is for him to assassinate William the Bastard, and assassinations don't come cheap so it isn't really a viable option as your first action or so in the game.

Edited:

Also in my current game the Pope hates me but he loves how I'm like the only European power that goes on crusades. All my overseas territories I've earned by crusading.
    Sometimes this game feels like everybody hates you no matter what you do.

Give land to one son? The other gets pissed. Keep land for yourself? Both sons get pissed. Give land to both of them ? Both attack you because you have no strong fiefs left.

19. Post #1139
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    967 Posts
    It (Should) probably work after you converted it. It's still somewhat different from EU2 vanilla though, so don't be too surprised at oddities popping up.

Then again in my original conversion, the entirety of Europe was made mostly of OPMs.
    OPM's?

Also, how does the world market menu work on Victoria: Revolutions? Victoria is the only game I haven't got the hang of yet

Thanks for all the help btw :D

20. Post #1140
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    OPM's?

Also, how does the world market menu work on Victoria: Revolutions? Victoria is the only game I haven't got the hang of yet

Thanks for all the help btw :D
    OPM is short for one province minor. (Basically a country which consists of a single state)

The World Market in Vicky is where all goods made by every country has been sold to. Pops and countries are free to buy from this market for their own needs. IIRC countries are the only sellers, whom sell the goods their country produces to this world market.

There is a max and min of various goods your counry can buy/sell. You can sell stuff like grain (Say keep a minimum of 100) and whenever it goes over the limit, it will sell grain.

Likewise if you want to buy goods (Like munitions for the army) then you can set a minimum that is always required, and whenever it passes under, it will buy munitions to make up the shortfall.

Generally, you want to produce a good deal of things for export (Like steel or steamships). Naturally you will have to import resources for running your armies or factories, especially if you are a small nation or uncivilised. (For example, to run a textile mill, you will probably need to import cotton)

If you are lucky to nab a lot of colonies (Or start out big) then you will generally not need to import many things.

21. Post #1141
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    Sometimes this game feels like everybody hates you no matter what you do.

Give land to one son? The other gets pissed. Keep land for yourself? Both sons get pissed. Give land to both of them ? Both attack you because you have no strong fiefs left.
    Which is why the only son I ever give land to is my eldest son. Sometimes if the oppurtunity presents itself I'll give a church position to another son just so that when succession time comes they're no longer eligible to press any claims. Although with the new Muslim Decadence mechanics I don't think this is going to be a viable strategy anymore. As a european lord however I find the prestige hit is pretty minimal.

Another thing you can do is to make a son a count, then transfer your vassalage of them to a duke somewhere. I've swept a lot of difficult sons under the rug after conquering land by making them counts then palming them off to the de jure dukes of wherever I've sent them off to. This can potentially be a problem if they somehow rise up to become Dukes themselves but I generally find it removes them as an immediate problem.

In terms of people hating you in general I find the easiest way to keep people in check is delegating, tournaments and revoking titles after the inevitable civil wars. People will always hate you, especially if you've not been their ruler long.

22. Post #1142
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    967 Posts
    OPM is short for one province minor. (Basically a country which consists of a single state)

The World Market in Vicky is where all goods made by every country has been sold to. Pops and countries are free to buy from this market for their own needs. IIRC countries are the only sellers, whom sell the goods their country produces to this world market.

There is a max and min of various goods your counry can buy/sell. You can sell stuff like grain (Say keep a minimum of 100) and whenever it goes over the limit, it will sell grain.

Likewise if you want to buy goods (Like munitions for the army) then you can set a minimum that is always required, and whenever it passes under, it will buy munitions to make up the shortfall.

Generally, you want to produce a good deal of things for export (Like steel or steamships). Naturally you will have to import resources for running your armies or factories, especially if you are a small nation or uncivilised. (For example, to run a textile mill, you will probably need to import cotton)

If you are lucky to nab a lot of colonies (Or start out big) then you will generally not need to import many things.
    Sounds complicated as hell, is it a good idea to let the computer handle trade?

23. Post #1143
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    If its anything like Vicky 2 or HoI then the AI in charge of automating that sort of thing is actually pretty good.

24. Post #1144
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    What I did was I just set the sliders to sell everything after hitting a max of either 100 or 1000. (Depending on daily production)

For importing, I imported everything up to 100.

Also central planning of the economy ingame is NP hard. I once tried to run China in the same style as Mao, and it became a logistical nightmare in which I produced 100 steel a day and I had atheist anarchist priests rebelling due to a wine shortage.

Edited:

As soon as you get the "Dishonorable Scum" CB against Bohemia, declare war and call everyone in. Literally gangbang the fuck out of them.
    Get a dishonourable scum casus belli they said.

They will be going over the infamy limit soon they said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

25. Post #1145
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts

Edited:

I've never played the Godwinsons, but I've seen the AI successfully defend against both Norway and Normandy quite a few times.

I have, however, never seen the Godwinsons keep England unified. It always breaks down into Northumbria, Wessex, and other minor kingdoms.

Edited:

I've never once seen an AI country get so large in Europe without going over the infamy limit. You should just pack up and move to the New World forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1146
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,308 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1147
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    What I did was I just set the sliders to sell everything after hitting a max of either 100 or 1000. (Depending on daily production)

For importing, I imported everything up to 100.

Also central planning of the economy ingame is NP hard. I once tried to run China in the same style as Mao, and it became a logistical nightmare in which I produced 100 steel a day and I had atheist anarchist priests rebelling due to a wine shortage.

Edited:

Jesus Christ. Look at those borders! LOOK AT THEM! TELL ME YOU'RE DISGUSTED BY THEM AS WELL!

Also lol'd at your Bohemia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #1148
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,022 Posts
    i bet you got all that money from pure playing right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #1149
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    Not even Jesus himself had piety that high
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

30. Post #1150
    August 2010
    9,308 Posts
    No, it's my experimental save where I fuck about with everything.

31. Post #1151
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I've never played the Godwinsons, but I've seen the AI successfully defend against both Norway and Normandy quite a few times.

I have, however, never seen the Godwinsons keep England unified. It always breaks down into Northumbria, Wessex, and other minor kingdoms.

Edited:

I've never once seen an AI country get so large in Europe without going over the infamy limit. You should just pack up and move to the New World forever.
    Bohemia and the Hanse are my allies.

I plan upon dividing up Europe between us 3. The collapse of France into 5 kingdoms will make a good target.

Surprisingly, the Hapsburgs never give up. No matter how many wars they lose with me, Bohemia or the Hanse, they always end up acquiring more land via vassals or conquest of weaker neighbours.

Bohemia is starting to become Russia in all but name.

32. Post #1152
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    Bohemia and the Hanse are my allies.

I plan upon dividing up Europe between us 3. The collapse of France into 5 kingdoms will make a good target.

Surprisingly, the Hapsburgs never give up. No matter how many wars they lose with me, Bohemia or the Hanse, they always end up acquiring more land via vassals or conquest of weaker neighbours.

Bohemia is starting to become Russia in all but name.
    I'm surprised the Hapsburgs have time for anything else aside from boning family members.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #1153
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    6,240 Posts
    Thanks for the help RearAdmiral. Makes sense that the King of England gets fucked by the Norman invasion. Will play as William the Conquerer then :)

Also, any recommendations for other, easy first time countries to play as? Something simple, not too difficult, just so I can learn the ropes? Thanks!

34. Post #1154
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Jesus Christ. Look at those borders! LOOK AT THEM! TELL ME YOU'RE DISGUSTED BY THEM AS WELL!

Also lol'd at your Bohemia.
    I am fixing them.

35. Post #1155
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    Thanks for the help RearAdmiral. Makes sense that the King of England gets fucked by the Norman invasion. Will play as William the Conquerer then :)

Also, any recommendations for other, easy first time countries to play as? Something simple, not too difficult, just so I can learn the ropes? Thanks!
    Any Irish count, particularly Dublin and Leinster, as once the Earl of Dublin dies the Earl of Leinster inherits Dublin, so you effectively have a two province advantage over your neighbors. Ireland itself is pretty isolated from the political situation of Europe, with the only two bigger kingdoms you really have to worry about being Scotland and England giving you a reasonable amount of time to get yourself crowned. Most of the times I've played as an Irish Early I've generally been about to crown myself within two or three generations.

If you want a power that has a lot of potential for early conquest but also the potential to become a superpower in its own right then one of the christian kingdoms in spain would be a safe bet as well. They're also good if you want a taste of crusading/holy war warfare as a viable means of expansion without buggering around in the Holy Land. I'd rate them mid-difficulty, though. The Muslim nations in Iberia also seem to lack the doomstacks you get when facing the Fatimids.

36. Post #1156
    August 2010
    9,308 Posts
    I love how capturing the ruler of a country you're at war with lets you instantly gain 100% war-score.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

37. Post #1157
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    I love how capturing the ruler of a country you're at war with lets you instantly gain 100% war-score.
    Yeah, although I once captured the King of France when invading him to take his kingdom. I was at about 95% warscore when I captured him already so instead I just ransomed him for lods emone then finished the war.

Give me a second and I'll post up my current clusterfuck of a kingdom.

38. Post #1158
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,534 Posts
    Amazon is boss. Just gave everyone who bought the Paradox pack a bunch of steam keys for those games aswell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #1159
    June 2012
    1,965 Posts
    Amazon is boss. Just gave everyone who bought the Paradox pack a bunch of steam keys for those games aswell.
    Does this mean if I already registered the product on steam I get another one?

40. Post #1160
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,534 Posts
    Does this mean if I already registered the product on steam I get another one?
    I would of thought it would either let you gift it or tell you that game is already on your account.