Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    Why didn't you offer to play with me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #882
    April 2009
    2,198 Posts
    You can manufacture one, it just takes like a year of waiting.
    Or I can type in a cheat that gives me a casus belli on a random neighboring country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #883
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,450 Posts

another mp game

formed japan 1453, conquest of ming ~1490

is going pretty well i would say
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #884
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,048 Posts
    Me and some friends finally got to a stage where we can understand CK2 and played it for literally 6 hours. Fuck the pope!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #885
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,811 Posts
    I just bought Europa Universalis III: Chronicles and coming off of Vicky2 and Darkest Hour I must say:

I have no fucking clue what I'm doing

I tried reading tutorials but to me it's just walls of nonsense and technobabble.

To convey how awful I am, I lost in my war against Grenada as Castille.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

6. Post #886
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    22,929 Posts
    In Vick2 I'm coming to the conclusion that democratic elections are rigged for the current ruling party, or in my case the Conservatives. I've been using the party loyalty NF in every populated region I have to get another party in power, but the outcome of every election would still be the same: Conservatives remaining in power every goddamn time.

Makes me so mad, because I don't want a goddamn Interventionism policy anymore once I start getting near the end of the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #887
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    I just bought Europa Universalis III: Chronicles and coming off of Vicky2 and Darkest Hour I must say:

I have no fucking clue what I'm doing

I tried reading tutorials but to me it's just walls of nonsense and technobabble.

To convey how awful I am, I lost in my war against Grenada as Castille.
    Mother of god I hope you mean you got buttfucked by Morocco and Algiers and shit in the war because I suck at the game and it's piss-easy to fuck up Granada.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

8. Post #888
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,811 Posts
    Mother of god I hope you mean you got buttfucked by Morocco and Algiers and shit in the war because I suck at the game and it's piss-easy to fuck up Granada.
    No, even worse.

Granada's tiny army somehow won against mine and started wreaking havoc on my country.

Why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

9. Post #889
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    No, even worse.

Granada's tiny army somehow won against mine and started wreaking havoc on my country.

Why
    Why? No. HOW.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #890
    December 2006
    2,910 Posts
    Why? No. HOW.
    Pacifist castille game yo, disband all armies and hold hands with your fellow people of the Iberian peninsula in love and peace.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

11. Post #891
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    Pacifist castille game yo, disband all armies and hold hands with your fellow people of the Iberian peninsula in love and peace.
    Doing that generally results in Aragon, Granada and Portugal all declaring war within a year. Thank the Paradox Gods we no longer have to do this whenever we want to tech up military anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #892
    April 2009
    2,198 Posts
    Somehow Wu was the dominant faction in China until about year 1600, where a LOT of Chihan rebels defected to Xia, almost half of Wu's territories. Korea somehow owns most of what used to be Manchu, which makes them more or less the biggest Far Eastern faction at the moment. Ming and Manchu don't exist, either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

13. Post #893
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,155 Posts
    So, a friend of mine is running a "tutorial" series of videos for Victoria 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9&feature=plcp

Seems to be rather informative, missing some things, aside.

14. Post #894
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    22,929 Posts
    I have to disagree on what he said about in the budget video.

You never want to raise tariffs above 10% or more. The reason why is because they increase higher input cost for factories and artisans, which results in less profit which results killing your economy/artisans and lesser income from taxes.

You never want to tax the middle class (artisans) too much either, they're pretty much the unsung heroes of the game. High taxes will only piss them off and makes them leave the country. The same would go for the rich class but I think it's alright to tax them more than the middle class, just not by a whole lot since you still need them to build railroads and factories.

15. Post #895
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    Japan just fucking annexe UK in 1940.
    Isn't it impossible to annex any fucking country that is in a faction? How in the fuck did Japan managed to do this?

Half the world is now yellow

HoI 3 - FTM btw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

16. Post #896
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,022 Posts
    Japan just fucking annexe UK in 1940.
    Isn't it impossible to annex any fucking country that is in a faction? How in the fuck did Japan managed to do this?

Half the world is now yellow

HoI 3 - FTM btw
    from what i remember it's possible you just have to get higher victory points to annex the country more victory points above national unity
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #897
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,914 Posts
    Me and some friends finally got to a stage where we can understand CK2 and played it for literally 6 hours. Fuck the pope!
    I usually send my Court Chaplain to Rome to get in his good books whenever they're not fighting Heresy in my Demesne. If you're catholic being in the Pope's good books is fucking invaluable unless you plan on appointing an Anti-Pope.

Edited:

Also looking at getting into Vicky 2 again. I've completely forgotten everything so it should be interesting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #898
    It never was applejuice
    June 2008
    773 Posts
    Changed (Fictional) history with the Game of thrones mod. Aerys won against Roberts Rebellion (Both Robert and Eddard are still alive) Aegon VI ascends the throne a few years later (Rhaegar had died in a bed comatose and Elia became the Queen Regent) Doran is replaced by Arianne early on and Oberyn becomes her Guardian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Philippines Show Events

19. Post #899
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,979 Posts
    from what i remember it's possible you just have to get higher victory points to annex the country more victory points above national unity
    I think defeated governments that are in factions always keep fighting and go into exile when you defeat them. ( either in colonies like france or the Netherlands or they move their HQ's and eventual remaining troops/navy to an allied capital ).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

20. Post #900
    October 2008
    3,399 Posts
    So I started a CK2 playthrough and I'm planning this:

Play as Duke of Apulia and unite Italy, then dick around in Europe (try to get the Balkan and maybe Spain under my control)

Save the game in 1453, import the save with a save converter

Load it up in EU III

Expand into Europe. Recreate the Roman empire and colonise like a boss.

Save in 1830

Import and load up in vicky II

Do whatever there is to do in that game because I don't own it yet, will buy this summer and learn to play

Import and load in HoI3

Finish world conquest as the new Roman empire.

I realise it will be time consuming and there's a chance the importing between games will fail, but I have to try, damn it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #901
    Actually a cool guy
    June 2005
    2,986 Posts
    Playing CK2: How do I hand over control of a duchy that I own to someone else?

22. Post #902
    October 2008
    3,399 Posts
    Playing CK2: How do I hand over control of a duchy that I own to someone else?
    Go to the diplomacy screen of whoever you want to give it to, "grant landed title" pick the duchy of your choosing from the list. Watch out that you don't give a duke too many duchies or else he might get too powerful, and it might be best to check the box to give him the lower titles as well, otherwise he gets pissy because the counts in his duchy are still your vassals and not his.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #903
    Actually a cool guy
    June 2005
    2,986 Posts
    Go to the diplomacy screen of whoever you want to give it to, "grant landed title" pick the duchy of your choosing from the list. Watch out that you don't give a duke too many duchies or else he might get too powerful, and it might be best to check the box to give him the lower titles as well, otherwise he gets pissy because the counts in his duchy are still your vassals and not his.
    Tried that, but I can only seem to grant titles that belong to other dukes under me - not duchies that I control myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #904
    October 2008
    3,399 Posts
    Tried that, but I can only seem to grant titles that belong to other dukes under me - not duchies that I control myself.
    That seems odd. Are you certain you're looking at the right screen? Because you can't give duchies unless you revoke them form other dukes first (and that incurs penalties)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

25. Post #905
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,798 Posts
    Does the person you're trying to give the Duchy to have a holding of their own? I'm pretty sure they at least need a castle somewhere before they can be a Duke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

26. Post #906
    Actually a cool guy
    June 2005
    2,986 Posts
    Huh. It's working now. Clearly I was being dumb.

Thanks.

27. Post #907
    February 2011
    235 Posts
    It seems like Europa just doesn't want me to create the glorious Russian empire. I go to war with Novgorod as Muscowy, claiming every single territory, but they wouldn't let me annex. Shortly after that war, about every one of my neighbors decides to go to war against me in a very short order. I can barely raise a large army without going into complete debt, and all of my traders would just get out-traded so I had no money.

It's like the AI just doesn't WANT Russia to exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #908
    April 2010
    2,401 Posts
    Ugh, didn't get in for the first wave of Alpha invites for War of The Roses, anyone else trying to get in?

29. Post #909
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    So I started a CK2 playthrough and I'm planning this:

Play as Duke of Apulia and unite Italy, then dick around in Europe (try to get the Balkan and maybe Spain under my control)

Save the game in 1453, import the save with a save converter

Load it up in EU III

Expand into Europe. Recreate the Roman empire and colonise like a boss.

Save in 1830

Import and load up in vicky II

Do whatever there is to do in that game because I don't own it yet, will buy this summer and learn to play

Import and load in HoI3

Finish world conquest as the new Roman empire.

I realise it will be time consuming and there's a chance the importing between games will fail, but I have to try, damn it!
    You damn better set HoI3's time limit to 31.12.9999 for that to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #910
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,678 Posts
    Ugh, didn't get in for the first wave of Alpha invites for War of The Roses, anyone else trying to get in?
    I was trying to get in, then I got an invite so trying was no longer necessary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #911
    October 2008
    3,399 Posts
    You damn better set HoI3's time limit to 31.12.9999 for that to work.
    Considering I have approximately 800 years in the world, it seems fairly feasible. Expansion in EU III is hella crazy if you know what you're doing, and I conquered most of the world with Italy and Germany in a game with a friend of mine in HoI3. If I can get most of Europe and North Africa/the middle east under my control + colonise, it's very possible to do it by 1945.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #912
    February 2012
    8 Posts
    I have to disagree on what he said about in the budget video.

You never want to raise tariffs above 10% or more. The reason why is because they increase higher input cost for factories and artisans, which results in less profit which results killing your economy/artisans and lesser income from taxes.

You never want to tax the middle class (artisans) too much either, they're pretty much the unsung heroes of the game. High taxes will only piss them off and makes them leave the country. The same would go for the rich class but I think it's alright to tax them more than the middle class, just not by a whole lot since you still need them to build railroads and factories.
    Well, you didn't really hear the full sentence- I was referring to early game, when for most nations- for example, the one provided, the Two Sicilies- you don't really have any factories to work with, and you don't really have artisans doing half of anything, especially unwesternized countries or ones without a lot of factory-allowing-techs. In addition, if you take the Input Cost and Efficiency helping techs, you can pretty safely raise the tariff line.

But frankly, I have no problems managing my factories or artisans at 75% tariff at times, so 10% is a little bit low either way.

Also, Artisans, while they are nice for pre-industrial nations, really aren't up to speed especially compared to, well, factories. Once factories start building up, you can pretty much tax them like crazy and especially past about the '70s, when every country and their dog has a factory, you can pretty much have taxes as high as you want because they won't really be that accepted anywhere.

However, for some nations, particularly Austria(-Hungary), Japan, and just post-westernization states, Artisans can be a lifesaver. But they're no heroes-of-the-game by far, and if there's anyone who's going to be set at a low tax-rate, it oughta be the rich.

(Occupy would hate me, frankly.)

Also if you have something to say about one of my videos, leave a darn comment so my section doesn't look depressingly empty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #913
    April 2009
    63 Posts
    Just bought Darkest Hour, it's my first grand strategy game FP. Wish me luck.

Oh, and any tips before I jump into this?

34. Post #914
    February 2012
    8 Posts
    If you're going to invade the U.K., don't bother with trying to use transport ships to get there. Chip in and get some more manpower-and-IC eating Transport Planes and Paratroopers instead, because all the transport ships can do for a long time is land at an enemy port.

35. Post #915
    April 2009
    63 Posts
    If you're going to invade the U.K., don't bother with trying to use transport ships to get there. Chip in and get some more manpower-and-IC eating Transport Planes and Paratroopers instead, because all the transport ships can do for a long time is land at an enemy port.
    When I saw first, I mean completely blind.

36. Post #916
    February 2012
    8 Posts
    When I saw first, I mean completely blind.
    Well, it kind of looks confusing from the outside, but once you get in game, it'll make more sense.

37. Post #917
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,811 Posts
    Just bought Darkest Hour, it's my first grand strategy game FP. Wish me luck.

Oh, and any tips before I jump into this?
    Honestly, Darkest Hour is absurdly easy to figure out once you start playing. I find it requires much less micromanagement than the other games.

I still need help on EU3. I really don't fucking know what I'm doing.

38. Post #918
    February 2011
    235 Posts
    Honestly, Darkest Hour is absurdly easy to figure out once you start playing. I find it requires much less micromanagement than the other games.

I still need help on EU3. I really don't fucking know what I'm doing.
    Im with ya there. I usually end up -40 prestiege, dirt poor, and have everybody and their grandmother at war with me.
    At the same time.

39. Post #919
    July 2009
    2,424 Posts
    Have been playing For the Glory recently, no where as in depth as the other games. Even with that though, spent 60 years at constant warfare with france, both of us are economically destroyed after the war.

40. Post #920
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,636 Posts
    Im with ya there. I usually end up -40 prestiege, dirt poor, and have everybody and their grandmother at war with me.
    At the same time.
    Go play multiplayer (co-op, eg, France+Spain), trial by fire is the easiest way to learn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events