1. Post #1601
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,742 Posts
    Professional lurker here, please allow me to cut in. I'm currently applying for naval ocs as a hopeful nfo. Hopefully I can answer a few of your questions and offer a tip or two.

1. Get a bachelor degree, you'll need it.
    - Do well in school and try to get a 3+ gpa
    - Degree type kinda matters. engineering > tech > frilly nilly art bullshit
    - Military colleges, rotc, and the academys are given more slots. However, going to a joe blow university and getting a slot is totally doable.

2. Kick ass on the ASTB; scores like 7/7/7 with a OAR 50+ is technically competitive, but you want a OAR higher than 59. Also, you only get THREE chances. Don't blow it.

3. You can still be an aviator with poor eyesight; you may just need to back seat like I'm trying to do.

4. Volunteer work looks awesome, so does leadership experience.

5. If you're looking into aviation, try taking a few flight lessons - flight time also looks good.

6. Be prepared to wait, aviation selection boards are twice a year (I may be incorrect). You'll also be compared to people that you may consider to be "super geniuses".

7. There are enlisted recruiters and officer recruiters. You want to talk to a officer recruiter.

8. Never ever give up

*These guys should be able to answer any aviation questions you have.*
    I should be good to go by then. I'm planning on getting my BS in Aerospace Engineering, so that shouldn't be a problem. Does the university I go to make a difference at all? For example UC Davis vs. MIT.

Edited:

Also, did you do all of the things you posted?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #1602

December 2005
    92 Posts
    I should be good to go by then. I'm planning on getting my BS in Aerospace Engineering, so that shouldn't be a problem. Does the university I go to make a difference at all? For example UC Davis vs. MIT.

Edited:

Also, did you do all of the things you posted?

I don't believe what university you go told holds much weight. That's a good question for that forum I gave you though. As for doing all those things I have a BS in Aviation Technology and graduated with a 3.35 gpa. I hold a PPL with around a 100 hours and have a few volunteer / leadership experiences. On the ASTB I got a 7/7/6 61 which is pretty respectable score. All in all, I've waited around 3 year since I wanted to apply for OCS and not use BDCP( dumb decision, I know). With all the things in mind, I still have a very good chance at a slot. Basically be a well rounded individual and you'll have your shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #1603
    April 2010
    7,742 Posts
    I don't believe what university you go told holds much weight. That's a good question for that forum I gave you though. As for doing all those things I have a BS in Aviation Technology and graduated with a 3.35 gpa. I hold a PPL with around a 100 hours and have a few volunteer / leadership experiences. On the ASTB I got a 7/7/6 61 which is pretty respectable score. All in all, I've waited around 3 year since I wanted to apply for OCS and not use BDCP( dumb decision, I know). With all the things in mind, I still have a very good chance at a slot. Basically be a well rounded individual and you'll have your shot.
    How, if at all, did you study for the ASTB? Also, what are PPL and BDCP? All these initialisms.

4. Post #1604

December 2005
    92 Posts
    How, if at all, did you study for the ASTB? Also, what are PPL and BDCP? All these initialisms.
    A ppl is a private pilot license. Bdcp stands for bachelor degree completion program; it's kinda like rotc. As for studing for the astb (aviation selection test battery), I'll pm you that info when I get home. If I may ask, what university or college are you planning to go to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1605
    April 2010
    7,742 Posts
    A ppl is a private pilot license. Bdcp stands for bachelor degree completion program; it's kinda like rotc. As for studing for the astb (aviation selection test battery), I'll pm you that info when I get home. If I may ask, what university or college are you planning to go to?
    Well, I'm definitely not concrete on which university I would like to attend, as I am only on my junior year in high school. I wanted to go to Stanford, but apparently their aerospace engineering department is not a comprehensive as for example MIT's (Gas Turbine Laboratory ). Possibly UC Berkeley or Davis, but I need to do more research first. Then comes the question of acceptance into said universities.

6. Post #1606
    HEY GUYS DID I MENTION I'M IN THE ARMY
    March 2006
    3,265 Posts
    Embry Riddle has a solid Aerospace Engineering program, with them being an Aeronautical University and all. Problem is that it is rather pricey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1607
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    527 Posts
    Just some quick questions, how would a 17 year old Canadian living in the middle of butt fuck northern no-where get involved in the military? I would like to be somewhere about a year from now after I have been 18 for awhile, and then eventually into the Airforce. Initially wanted to being a pilot but I've put alot of thought into it and I think I would be better off as some kind of mechanic, or technician for avionics ( I think ) but I'd still like to fly someday, just not military. I'm mainly talking about combat jets, but I'm highly interested in helicopters as well. so yeah, I honestly don't know where to start here. I'm in my last year of high school, I live in Alberta, at the very top left corner of the province, my town has about a population of 4-4500 people. It is also surrounded by I think 3 or 4 native reserves.
    Friendly people. I'm thinking i'd be best of asking a recruiter these questions, but what I would like to know now is the path to get there, would I be, like say in some kind of basic training for a few months, or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #1608

December 2005
    92 Posts
    Embry Riddle has a solid Aerospace Engineering program, with them being an Aeronautical University and all. Problem is that it is rather pricey.
    Purdue and Ohio State are two other well known options. I went to the Metropolitan State College of Denver which has one of the better programs nationwide; fucking Usafa and Embry Riddle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #1609
    March 2006
    3,265 Posts
    Just some quick questions, how would a 17 year old Canadian living in the middle of butt fuck northern no-where get involved in the military? I would like to be somewhere about a year from now after I have been 18 for awhile, and then eventually into the Airforce. Initially wanted to being a pilot but I've put alot of thought into it and I think I would be better off as some kind of mechanic, or technician for avionics ( I think ) but I'd still like to fly someday, just not military. I'm mainly talking about combat jets, but I'm highly interested in helicopters as well. so yeah, I honestly don't know where to start here. I'm in my last year of high school, I live in Alberta, at the very top left corner of the province, my town has about a population of 4-4500 people. It is also surrounded by I think 3 or 4 native reserves.
    Friendly people. I'm thinking i'd be best of asking a recruiter these questions, but what I would like to know now is the path to get there, would I be, like say in some kind of basic training for a few months, or what?
    Ok first things first. Don't be an avionics tech. They have to deal with the electrical system of the entire aircraft. Their job sucks, don't do it. Becoming a crew chief is actually great, at least for helicopters due to the fact that depending on the model, you may be able to fly in them, as well as repair them. Due to this fact, you are around pilots, and if you make a good impression, pilots are usually willing to help others out on the road to becoming a pilot. I would advise you to speak to a recruiter about this, as they are able to answer more detailed questions about things such as wait times for basic training.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #1610
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,197 Posts
    Ok first things first. Don't be an avionics tech. They have to deal with the electrical system of the entire aircraft. Their job sucks, don't do it. Becoming a crew chief is actually great, at least for helicopters due to the fact that depending on the model, you may be able to fly in them, as well as repair them. Due to this fact, you are around pilots, and if you make a good impression, pilots are usually willing to help others out on the road to becoming a pilot. I would advise you to speak to a recruiter about this, as they are able to answer more detailed questions about things such as wait times for basic training.
    Hey, being an Avionics tech is brilliant. The amount of training and skills you receive is amazing and really sets you up for civvy street. Then again this is my experience in the British Army and this is your territory
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #1611
    March 2006
    3,265 Posts
    Hey, being an Avionics tech is brilliant. The amount of training and skills you receive is amazing and really sets you up for civvy street. Then again this is my experience in the British Army and this is your territory
    The amount of training and skills you receive are indeed great. However, nothing beats flight pay and the wind in your face.

12. Post #1612
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,197 Posts
    The amount of training and skills you receive are indeed great. However, nothing beats flight pay and the wind in your face.
    We get flight pay when we go on air tests which can be fairly often anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #1613
    June 2010
    2,722 Posts
    Happy Birthday, US Navy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

14. Post #1614
    March 2006
    3,265 Posts
    We get flight pay when we go on air tests which can be fairly often anyway.
    Damn, that is crazy. The last time armament touched the controls while a pilot was doing an on-ground run up for a mast torque calibration, he thought the pilot told him to pull on the collective. He yanked the collective up as hard as he could and nearly caused something fatal to happen had the pilot not been quick to respond.

15. Post #1615
    December 2011
    547 Posts
    So I just got back from the Air Force recruiter, he had to reschedule yesterday due to an impromptu school function. I have to drop some weight, not over just close to borderline, and do some thinking. I also have to fill out an application form. One thing that the recruiter told me that I appreciate is that he won't try to push me through, and didn't make wild promises. Now I need to do a lot of praying and start getting into shape.

16. Post #1616
    March 2006
    3,265 Posts
    So I just got back from the Air Force recruiter, he had to reschedule yesterday due to an impromptu school function. I have to drop some weight, not over just close to borderline, and do some thinking. I also have to fill out an application form. One thing that the recruiter told me that I appreciate is that he won't try to push me through, and didn't make wild promises. Now I need to do a lot of praying and start getting into shape.
    Good stuff, start doing crossfit exercises and eating less unhealthy food (I am still trying to kick unhealthy food, good luck man) and sticking with a consistent plan.

17. Post #1617
    April 2010
    7,742 Posts
    Do you get to fly in the Kiowa?

18. Post #1618
    All Plans Are Plan B
    September 2010
    2,510 Posts
    Happy Birthday, US Navy.
    I wanted to go to our Navy ball but I was working. Oh well. Next year.

19. Post #1619
    March 2006
    3,265 Posts
    Do you get to fly in the Kiowa?
    Not really often, but it does happen. If you want flight pay and to fly consistently, Blackhawks or Chinooks are a much better option. I don't actually get flight pay as a Kiowa crew chief.

20. Post #1620
    April 2010
    7,742 Posts
    Not really often, but it does happen. If you want flight pay and to fly consistently, Blackhawks or Chinooks are a much better option. I don't actually get flight pay as a Kiowa crew chief.
    Did you get to choose?

21. Post #1621
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,398 Posts
    So i was chatting with a couple of pilots in the shuttle back to the dorms, and they were discussing when everyone found out what aircraft they were getting at the end of pilot school. Apparently, each person stands up front as their assignment is read to them. They said 2 people got RPAs. A guy said it was pretty much 50/50 what the reaction was when people get RPAs, but that they typically made a beeline for the nearest bar and started putting down shots after they got done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #1622
    March 2006
    3,265 Posts
    Did you get to choose?
    Well, yeah. The Army lets you choose your MOS. When I pulled the available job codes, 15S (OH-58D Helicopter Repairer) was the only one at that time that came up aviation wise. I picked it because I did not want to wait long after high school to ship to the Army, so I chose it. I waited 8 months before going to BCT, so it was worth it. If you are a bit more patient, I am sure that 15T (UH-60 Helicopter Repairer) and 15U (CH-47 Helicopter Repairer) codes will pop up at some point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #1623
    April 2010
    7,742 Posts
    Well, yeah. The Army lets you choose your MOS. When I pulled the available job codes, 15S (OH-58D Helicopter Repairer) was the only one at that time that came up aviation wise. I picked it because I did not want to wait long after high school to ship to the Army, so I chose it. I waited 8 months before going to BCT, so it was worth it. If you are a bit more patient, I am sure that 15T (UH-60 Helicopter Repairer) and 15U (CH-47 Helicopter Repairer) codes will pop up at some point.
    Thanks, but no thanks.

24. Post #1624
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,409 Posts
    Does the Navy let you pick your MOS, or is it like the other two branches excluding the army where it's "we'll try to get you what you want, but if we can't, go move that piece of furniture"

25. Post #1625
    All Plans Are Plan B
    September 2010
    2,510 Posts
    Does the Navy let you pick your MOS, or is it like the other two branches excluding the army where it's "we'll try to get you what you want, but if we can't, go move that piece of furniture"
    While I can't speak from an enlisted standpoint, I know that it's always been "The needs of the Navy" when it comes to many things. Sure they can promise you things but they don't always come through.

26. Post #1626
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    2,036 Posts
    For the Air Force it depends on how long you want to stay in DEP. You list 3-5 that you want, then wait in DEP until one of those slots are open. If you don't want the open slot then you are more than welcome to wait until the slot you do want opens up. Depends on the wait time for that job. I waited 1 year and 8 months for the job I wanted, but the wait time really didn't affect me because I enlisted Junior year of High School.

27. Post #1627
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,398 Posts
    For the Air Force it depends on how long you want to stay in DEP. You list 3-5 that you want, then wait in DEP until one of those slots are open. If you don't want the open slot then you are more than welcome to wait until the slot you do want opens up. Depends on the wait time for that job. I waited 1 year and 8 months for the job I wanted, but the wait time really didn't affect me because I enlisted Junior year of High School.
    I thought the max you could sit in DEP was 1 year, unless its different when ya sign in high school. I got luckyish. About a month after MEPs I got a call from my recruiter saying they really needed loadmasters, which wasnt even on my list. But i said yes, and here I am
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

28. Post #1628
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    2,036 Posts
    I thought the max you could sit in DEP was 1 year, unless its different when ya sign in high school. I got luckyish. About a month after MEPs I got a call from my recruiter saying they really needed loadmasters, which wasnt even on my list. But i said yes, and here I am
    After my first year I just had to go back to MEPs for re-eval, and re-qual. I'd have to get more insight on DEP after High School though.

29. Post #1629
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,000 Posts
    I'm seriously considering joining the USAF to gain citizenship and to give my life some direction, but i have no idea if it's a good idea or not, or what job within the air force i'd actually want to aim for.

As is probably typical of everyone who thinks about joining any air forcer, i'd like to be a pilot, but non-citizens can't be officers, so i'd need to do something else untill i gain citizenship if it even works like that.

Can anyone with a little more insight into how the USAF works give me some advice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #1630
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,409 Posts
    While I can't speak from an enlisted standpoint, I know that it's always been "The needs of the Navy" when it comes to many things. Sure they can promise you things but they don't always come through.
    How often do they not come through on meeting MOS requests?
    Are you able to back out in the recruitment process if they don't have your MOS? or is it by the time that comes into question and making it official, it's too late go back?

31. Post #1631
    All Plans Are Plan B
    September 2010
    2,510 Posts
    How often do they not come through on meeting MOS requests?
    Are you able to back out in the recruitment process if they don't have your MOS? or is it by the time that comes into question and making it official, it's too late go back?
    This is only from what I've heard but if you don't get the MOS you want, they will end up putting you wherever they need you to be. But depending on what rate you end up becoming once you put on your crows, you can cross rate to something else. Of course that depends because there are rates that are more desirable than others.

I don't think you can go back once you sign your papers. You're pretty much at their mercy. By chance, what are you interested in doing anyways?

32. Post #1632
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,409 Posts
    what are you interested in doing anyways?
    Corpsman.
    Its either join the navy and do that, or go to college, and spend the next 4 years in debt working on getting my BSN. I would rather do 4 years with the navy as a corpsman, and get my RN after, it'd be cheaper, and I would be able to be productive much quicker.
    If i joined and didn't get the MOS i desired/ or anything close to it, it would be a giant waste of time.

33. Post #1633
    September 2009
    12,196 Posts
    Qualified with M240B

Edited:

Also.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #1634
    All Plans Are Plan B
    September 2010
    2,510 Posts
    Corpsman.
    Its either join the navy and do that, or go to college, and spend the next 4 years in debt working on getting my BSN. I would rather do 4 years with the navy as a corpsman, and get my RN after, it'd be cheaper, and I would be able to be productive much quicker.
    If i joined and didn't get the MOS i desired/ or anything close to it, it would be a giant waste of time.
    Oh I don't think you'll have any trouble getting that rate. The Navy always needs new Corpsman. It's not difficult to get since it's the largest rate by far. If you are interested, you could always go the college route first then enter as an officer. That's what some of my friends have done. Let me know when you get in. I know that I work with a lot of Corpsman and for the most part, they are hard working shipmates.

35. Post #1635
    March 2009
    62 Posts
    I'm seriously considering joining the USAF to gain citizenship and to give my life some direction, but i have no idea if it's a good idea or not, or what job within the air force i'd actually want to aim for.

As is probably typical of everyone who thinks about joining any air forcer, i'd like to be a pilot, but non-citizens can't be officers, so i'd need to do something else untill i gain citizenship if it even works like that.

Can anyone with a little more insight into how the USAF works give me some advice?

Floater, look into the Air Force ROTC. It is the primary commissioning source of most Air Force officers, and you do not have to be a U.S. Citizen (at-least, for the first two years in the program). As for jobs, it would depend on what your interest is in. There is LARGE variety of different career paths available within the USAF, for both officers and enlisted men.

36. Post #1636
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    only problem is that rotc is cadets and thats about it
    its cadets

37. Post #1637
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,917 Posts
    Corpsman.
    If you join as a Corpsman now you'll be attached with the Marines most likely. Just a heads up, the a navy is looking for more devil doc's so you shouldn't have a hard time being offered Corpsman when you enlist. As long as your asvab scores are decent. (I'm a corpsman).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

38. Post #1638
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,409 Posts
    If you join as a Corpsman now you'll be attached with the Marines most likely. Just a heads up, the a navy is looking for more devil doc's so you shouldn't have a hard time being offered Corpsman when you enlist. As long as your asvab scores are decent. (I'm a corpsman).
    I would rather be a flight Corpsman, or someone who works in house in a CCU or ED.
    If devil docs are the only thing that's really for sale right now, ill probably keep my head towards the college route instead. (Shit, i need to start filling my apps out)

39. Post #1639
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    close combat uniform

40. Post #1640
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    580 Posts
    Jesus fucking christ.

Doctors are fucking retarded, at MEPS.

Only thing I had on my medical record was a mole removal from when I was wee little. The mole turned out to be not cancerous, and this was specified on the sheets. No problems. Everything was hunky-dory with it.

BUT BECAUSE IT WAS AN INCOMPLETE EXCISION I NEED TO GET MORE PAPERWORK (IF IT EXISTS) AND HAND THAT IN TO THIS DOCTOR.

god fucking damn

On the bright side, I did p. good on my ASVABs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)