1. Post #361
    April 2012
    65 Posts
    So let me get this straight, Marines-Hardcore/Alpha Class Airforce- Need Schooling/Get to Fly Army- Beta sorry excuses for soldiers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

2. Post #362
    June 2010
    3,622 Posts
    So let me get this straight, Marines-Hardcore/Alpha Class Airforce- Need Schooling/Get to Fly Army- Beta sorry excuses for soldiers?
    Um, not at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #363
    hello.jpg
    December 2006
    6,494 Posts
    I've worked with great people, and not so great people, from every branch.

That being said, I'd rather have my cornea shaved off slowly using nothing more then a bag of stale pretzels that were stored in Rosie O'donnell's vagina, immediately followed followed by a testicular vivisection performed by coked out parkinsons sufferer, in lieu of ever having to deploy with a National Guard unit ever again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #364
    HEY GUYS DID I MENTION I'M IN THE ARMY
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    What the fuck?! Man, I am in Army Aviation. I do get to fly. Sorry excuse for soldiers? We are more soldier than you ever will be. Quit acting like a punk and go hang out in another thread that caters more towards your... mental capacity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #365
    August 2009
    8,268 Posts
    What is with the "hurr marines" flag waving. I know hazing between branches is good but it always seems a little bit over the top when people are talking about marines over every other branch.

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,598 Posts
    nop

Edited:

What is with the "hurr marines" flag waving. I know hazing between branches is good but it always seems a little bit over the top when people are talking about marines over every other branch.
    pretty much because of call of duty 4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    August 2009
    8,268 Posts
    My grandpa told me, "Remember, if you become a soldier or airman, always remember that the USMC is part of the navy."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,550 Posts
    Ain't
    Ready to be a
    Marine
    Yet

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,068 Posts
    The USMC is a department of the Navy, the Men's department. That being said all branches do their part and all deserve equal respect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #370
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    Finished MEPs today. 5am to 1pm to process everything. The Lt. Col. was right when she said, welcome to the uniform; prepare to wait alot.

11. Post #371
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    So I was thinking about joining Army Infantry after high school which is coming up soon, I will be a senior this upcoming new semester. I was just wondering about physical requirements? I've always been somewhat athletic since my balls dropped, but I'm still somewhat concerned. How prepped should I be? Are the strength test requirements the same or somewhat like the Marines strength test? Also, does infantry training involve paratrooper training?

12. Post #372
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    So I was thinking about joining Army Infantry after high school which is coming up soon, I will be a senior this upcoming new semester. I was just wondering about physical requirements? I've always been somewhat athletic since my balls dropped, but I'm still somewhat concerned. How prepped should I be? Are the strength test requirements the same or somewhat like the Marines strength test? Also, does infantry training involve paratrooper training?
    Here is what will happen. You enlist as an 11x. Depending upon your contract, you might get Ranger school or Airborne, if any at all. You go to OSUT at Ft. Benning. Eventually you will become either one of two things, 11B (infantry) or 11C (indirect fire support(mortarman)). Then you go to your unit and have a sucky life as an infantryman. I would avoid infantry if I was you. Not nearly as fun or glamorous as people think it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    Here is what will happen. You enlist as an 11x. Depending upon your contract, you might get Ranger school or Airborne, if any at all. You go to OSUT at Ft. Benning. Eventually you will become either one of two things, 11B (infantry) or 11C (indirect fire support(mortarman)). Then you go to your unit and have a sucky life as an infantryman. I would avoid infantry if I was you. Not nearly as fun or glamorous as people think it is.
    What would you recommend? I want to do something respectable, but I don't know if I'm good enough to be a marine.

14. Post #374
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    I don't know if I'm good enough to be a marine
    Everybody is good enough to be a Marine, it's just a matter of how much effort you put into becoming one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    Everybody is good enough to be a Marine, it's just a matter of how much effort you put into becoming one
    I'm going to be perfectly honest right now

I have a phobia of the ocean and other very deep pools of water.

And since the marines are part of the navy, I would assume I would have to do a lot of water and ocean-based training, if not combat. I know its really stupid, and joining the military involves concurring your fears, but its just one of the factors I have to look at. Other than that, I think the only thing holding me back is physical training, but thats something that can be achieved with hard work, dedication and time.

16. Post #376
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    I'm going to be perfectly honest right now

I have a phobia of the ocean and other very deep pools of water.

And since the marines are part of the navy, I would assume I would have to do a lot of water and ocean-based training, if not combat. I know its really stupid, and joining the military involves concurring your fears, but its just one of the factors I have to look at. Other than that, I think the only thing holding me back is physical training, but thats something that can be achieved with hard work, dedication and time.
    I have a fear of deep water too In lakes and oceans I always feel like something is going to grab me and pull me down

But like all phobias it can be conquered. I used to be scared of large heights, but after a few flights in a small 2-person cessna plane and spending time on rooftops of various heights, it went away almost completely.

As far as I know, you don't have to do much water-based training in basic training. If you're going infantry the amount of swimming you do is likely minimal, whereas if you want to be a recon man then water will be your new home. I plan on joining Recon, should be a good way to conquer my fear of deep water
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    I have a fear of deep water too In lakes and oceans I always feel like something is going to grab me and pull me down

But like all phobias it can be conquered. I used to be scared of large heights, but after a few flights in a small 2-person cessna plane and spending time on rooftops of various heights, it went away almost completely.

As far as I know, you don't have to do much water-based training in basic training. If you're going infantry the amount of swimming you do is likely minimal, whereas if you want to be a recon man then water will be your new home. I plan on joining Recon, should be a good way to conquer my fear of deep water
    Heh, I guess thats very true. I've always been kind of curious, what dictates what kind of infantryman you are (rifleman, support, marksman, etc etc)? Is it based on how well you do with certain weapons/skills in training?

18. Post #378
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    Kind of. There is a section of MOSs devoted to infantry roles. In the Marines each MOS, or job, has 4 numbers that represent that MOS. All of the infantry MOSs start with 03

Here's a full list of the current infantry MOSs: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/03.htm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

19. Post #379
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    3,019 Posts
    Kind of. There is a section of MOSs devoted to infantry roles. In the Marines each MOS, or job, has 4 numbers that represent that MOS. All of the combat/infantry MOSs start with 03

Here's a full list of the current combat MOSs: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/03.htm
    I wouldn't say all combat MOS's start with 03, just infantry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,178 Posts
    What would you recommend? I want to do something respectable, but I don't know if I'm good enough to be a marine.
    Don't take a shitty job just because it sounds respectable. Do what is going to better you the most in the outside world. Being infantry is cool to say but what's it going to do for you when you get out? Gotta think for the future, you might decide you don't want to be in the military forever. Gotta plan for when you get out.

Squeeze the most out of the military you possibly can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

21. Post #381
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    Heh, I guess thats very true. I've always been kind of curious, what dictates what kind of infantryman you are (rifleman, support, marksman, etc etc)? Is it based on how well you do with certain weapons/skills in training?
    In the Army, you just kind of get picked. You will do all of the roles eventually. If you are a very good marksman, you might be the designated marksman. Alternatives to infantry are plentiful, as most of the military is combat support. I am in Army Aviation as a Kiowa Warrior crew chief, and there are a thousand opportunities for me outside of the service. I see a lot of people in aviation making bank.

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    Marine infantry is looking pretty damn good

Edited:

The reason I ask about rolls is because I, in an odd way, don't wish to be a sniper marksman. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but growing up shooting firearms with my father, I've always been an incredibly good shot, sometimes even better than my father whos been shooting far longer than I have. As much as I enjoy precision shooting, I don't think I can possibly take the waiting for hours on end motionless in a building, or the extremely precise math gone into long range shooting. All I want to do is be an average grunt rifleman in infantry following orders.

23. Post #383
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    Marine infantry is looking pretty damn good

Edited:

The reason I ask about rolls is because I, in an odd way, don't wish to be a sniper marksman. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but growing up shooting firearms with my father, I've always been an incredibly good shot, sometimes even better than my father whos been shooting far longer than I have. As much as I enjoy precision shooting, I don't think I can possibly take the waiting for hours on end motionless in a building, or the extremely precise math gone into long range shooting. All I want to do is be an average grunt rifleman in infantry following orders.
    The only way you would be doing that long range hours on end math sniper shooting is if you actually applied for and got a slot at Army sniper school and actually passed. SDM is more like you get an optic on your weapon that zooms a bit more. However, like I said, you sort of get picked based upon the mission or whatever the squad/platoon leader feels would be adequate. I don't understand your big want to be infantry. What drives you do want infantry?

24. Post #384
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    The only way you would be doing that long range hours on end math sniper shooting is if you actually applied for and got a slot at Army sniper school and actually passed. SDM is more like you get an optic on your weapon that zooms a bit more. However, like I said, you sort of get picked based upon the mission or whatever the squad/platoon leader feels would be adequate. I don't understand your big want to be infantry. What drives you do want infantry?
    Ah ok, that makes more sense. I only know about marksman and snipers from instructional videos I've found on youtube, which isn't much.
    Infantry is just something I enjoy. I don't want to operate or fix a vehicle or man weapon systems. I want to be there, side by side with other soldiers, fighting. Even if that means sitting in fields of grass prone for 5 hours shooting at other fields of grass that shot at us.
    I guess I don't fully know. It just ultimately comes down to something I enjoy.

25. Post #385
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    Ah ok, that makes more sense. I only know about marksman and snipers from instructional videos I've found on youtube, which isn't much.
    Infantry is just something I enjoy. I don't want to operate or fix a vehicle or man weapon systems. I want to be there, side by side with other soldiers, fighting. Even if that means sitting in fields of grass prone for 5 hours shooting at other fields of grass that shot at us.
    I guess I don't fully know. It just ultimately comes down to something I enjoy.
    That's the kind of answer I expected. Operate a vehicle? Infantry do that all the time, who do you think drives the MRAPs and Humvees? Man weapons systems? Have fun in that turret. If you get lucky enough to get assigned an M240B have fun carrying a 27.6 pound (dry) 42 in. weapon everywhere. You also get the shortest end of the stick possible on deployment and have to deal with petty BS in garrison. Not to mention you have no employment waiting for you after service. Also, getting shot at is not an enjoyable experience in the slightest. You WILL see some of your buddies die. After knowing all this, do you still want to be Infantry? If yes, then go for it. Infantry is something you truly, truly need to know for 100% certain you want to do.

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    That's the kind of answer I expected. Operate a vehicle? Infantry do that all the time, who do you think drives the MRAPs and Humvees? Man weapons systems? Have fun in that turret. If you get lucky enough to get assigned an M240B have fun carrying a 27.6 pound (dry) 42 in. weapon everywhere. You also get the shortest end of the stick possible on deployment and have to deal with petty BS in garrison. Not to mention you have no employment waiting for you after service. Also, getting shot at is not an enjoyable experience in the slightest. You WILL see some of your buddies die. After knowing all this, do you still want to be Infantry? If yes, then go for it. Infantry is something you truly, truly need to know for 100% certain you want to do.
    I mean operate a vehicle as in operating a tank or something of the like, and weapon systems as in the missile launch systems (However I read up on that in the army, not marines, so I may be wrong there). I have no problem with Humvees or mounted turrets. However, you definitely bring up some good points, and I will think long and hard about them. What other roll would you suggest?

27. Post #387
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    I mean operate a vehicle as in operating a tank or something of the like, and weapon systems as in the missile launch systems (However I read up on that in the army, not marines, so I may be wrong there). I have no problem with Humvees or mounted turrets. However, you definitely bring up some good points, and I will think long and hard about them. What other roll would you suggest?
    I would keep your options open. If you really want to be Infantry, go for it. As an alternative, however, you could always be field artillery. Still combat arms, but you get to play with the big guns. You could also try to become a 15T which is UH-60 helicopter repairer, also known as a crew chief. They actually fly with the helicopter, manning the door mounted stuff, as well as perform maintenance. I am a 15S myself. Also remember this: In the Army, you get to pick your job. The Marine Corps TELLS you what job you are getting. I had 2 buddies join the marines wanting to be infantry, but the USMC gave them the MOS where you are essentially furniture movers.

Edited:

Signing off for the night, think long and hard desert rat. We always need infantry, but that is not the only combat arms job in the Army.

28. Post #388
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    I would keep your options open. If you really want to be Infantry, go for it. As an alternative, however, you could always be field artillery. Still combat arms, but you get to play with the big guns. You could also try to become a 15T which is UH-60 helicopter repairer, also known as a crew chief. They actually fly with the helicopter, manning the door mounted stuff, as well as perform maintenance. I am a 15S myself. Also remember this: In the Army, you get to pick your job. The Marine Corps TELLS you what job you are getting. I had 2 buddies join the marines wanting to be infantry, but the USMC gave them the MOS where you are essentially furniture movers.

Edited:

Signing off for the night, think long and hard desert rat. We always need infantry, but that is not the only combat arms job in the Army.
    Thank you very much, you've been very helpful. If the marines tells me my job and the army lets me choose, I just might do army then. I'd hate to be stuck with something I don't enjoy. I'll look into field artillery. As for 15T, I've never been much of a repairman, and I think I would be terrible at that haha.

29. Post #389
    hello.jpg
    December 2006
    6,494 Posts
    Thank you very much, you've been very helpful. If the marines tells me my job and the army lets me choose, I just might do army then. I'd hate to be stuck with something I don't enjoy. I'll look into field artillery. As for 15T, I've never been much of a repairman, and I think I would be terrible at that haha.
    I was a 25B and spent half of my first tour as a .50cal gunner. Ultimately it doesn't matter what MOS you have, you are a soldier first, and soldiers shoot things.

Edited:

I don't know where this "army lets you choose your job and that's all I will ever do" keeps coming from, but I assure you that its patently false.

Sure stateside that is mostly true, but when you get called up all bets are off. You go where you are needed, and do what needs to be done.

30. Post #390
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    I was a 25B and spent half of my first tour as a .50cal gunner. Ultimately it doesn't matter what MOS you have, you are a soldier first, and soldiers shoot things.

Edited:

I don't know where this "army lets you choose your job and that's all I will ever do" keeps coming from, but I assure you that its patently false.

Sure stateside that is mostly true, but when you get called up all bets are off. You go where you are needed, and do what needs to be done.
    I never said that the job you choose is the only thing you do. They made it VERY clear to us when we joined and went through IET that we were soldiers first. If they need people, they will take whoever for guard duty or patrol. With my MOS it is different. We would go outside the wire really only if there was a downed aircraft recovery mission. They need us crew chiefs maintaining the helicopters, not always going out on patrol. 25B? What exactly do you do on deployment, or in garrison for that matter. Aren't you guys the computer tech support for the Army?

Edited:

Just wondering, cuz a few friends considered 25B.

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    I am really liking the idea of being an field artillery crewman (possibly 13M, 13D or 13B, but I'm still looking). Just one last question that I'm sure is asked many times but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Service lengths. I read that for, at least for the marines, you are deployed for a few months at a time then go home for about a year and repeat until your contract is up. Does the same work for the Army? I have a friend whos brother did a tour in the army and isnt going back unless called upon during his 8 year contract.

SKEEA I cannot thank you enough for your suggestion. Ever since you mentioned it I've been thinking a lot about it and I really really like the idea and have a very good feeling about it. You've been a big help to me.

32. Post #392
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    I am really liking the idea of being an field artillery crewman (possibly 13M or 13D, but I'm still looking). Just one last question that I'm sure is asked many times but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Service lengths. I read that for, at least for the marines, you are deployed for a few months at a time then go home for about a year and repeat until your contract is up. Does the same work for the Army? I have a friend whos brother did a tour in the army and isnt going back unless called upon during his 8 year contract.

SKEEA I cannot thank you enough for your suggestion. Ever since you mentioned it I've been thinking a lot about it and I really really like the idea and have a very good feeling about it. You've been a big help to me.
    I am glad I could help. Every soldier has an initial 8 year contract. It works like this. You have a certain number of years active, and that is the time you will actually be doing your job. The remaining years you are in what is called "ready reserve" in which the Army can recall you back to active service. Don't worry though, you would only be recalled if say something like ww3 happened. Anyways, deployments in the Army are 9 months at the current moment. I am not sure what deployment schedules are like for combat arms jobs though. It depends upon what assignment you get. usually it is a 9 month deployment, then you are home for as long as your unit is what is called "stable" in that it does not have another deployment coming up for a while. I am going to Ft. Campbell next week to go to a new unit, and there are 2 that I might get assigned to. 7-17 air cav which is stable for a few years, or 2-17 air cav which has a deployment in september. Oh and, you are very welcome. The more I can help upcoming servicemembers be prepared for service, the better.

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    I am glad I could help. Every soldier has an initial 8 year contract. It works like this. You have a certain number of years active, and that is the time you will actually be doing your job. The remaining years you are in what is called "ready reserve" in which the Army can recall you back to active service. Don't worry though, you would only be recalled if say something like ww3 happened. Anyways, deployments in the Army are 9 months at the current moment. I am not sure what deployment schedules are like for combat arms jobs though. It depends upon what assignment you get. usually it is a 9 month deployment, then you are home for as long as your unit is what is called "stable" in that it does not have another deployment coming up for a while. I am going to Ft. Campbell next week to go to a new unit, and there are 2 that I might get assigned to. 7-17 air cav which is stable for a few years, or 2-17 air cav which has a deployment in september. Oh and, you are very welcome. The more I can help upcoming servicemembers be prepared for service, the better.
    So it is for certain after 1 tour I will be recalled for another within my 8 years?

34. Post #394
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    So it is for certain after 1 tour I will be recalled for another within my 8 years?
    Here is how the contract system works. You have a certain number of years active duty, where you are at a duty station (Army Post) and perform your job. During this time, deployments come up from time to time. For example, I have a six year contract with 2 years ready reserve. If I choose to not reenlist after my six years is up, I will go back to being a civilian, but in those 2 years if world war 3 or red dawn happens, then the Army will recall you back into active service. After those 2 years of ready reserve are up, the Army can't touch you. Now, if you like the Army and you choose to reenlist after your active duty term is up, then you get another contract with an amount of years active. 6 year contracts are usually for people that have very technical jobs like mine. For combat arms it could usually be as low as 2. I am not sure they do that anymore however, and I think the minimum is usually 4. Don't quote me on that though, they still might be doing 2 year contracts with 6 year ready reserve. Hope that clears it up.

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    Here is how the contract system works. You have a certain number of years active duty, where you are at a duty station (Army Post) and perform your job. During this time, deployments come up from time to time. For example, I have a six year contract with 2 years ready reserve. If I choose to not reenlist after my six years is up, I will go back to being a civilian, but in those 2 years if world war 3 or red dawn happens, then the Army will recall you back into active service. After those 2 years of ready reserve are up, the Army can't touch you. Now, if you like the Army and you choose to reenlist after your active duty term is up, then you get another contract with an amount of years active. 6 year contracts are usually for people that have very technical jobs like mine. For combat arms it could usually be as low as 2. I am not sure they do that anymore however, and I think the minimum is usually 4. Don't quote me on that though, they still might be doing 2 year contracts with 6 year ready reserve. Hope that clears it up.
    Ah so you have six years of active duty and 2 years of ready reserve? Sorry if I'm being kind of stupid haha. I just want to know how long I'll have to be overseas. I don't want to be doing the army all my life.

36. Post #396
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    Ah so you have six years of active duty and 2 years of ready reserve? Sorry if I'm being kind of stupid haha. I just want to know how long I'll have to be overseas. I don't want to be doing the army all my life.
    It depends. If you get assigned to one of our bases overseas, like the ones in Germany, Italy, Korea, Alaska, or Hawaii, then that will be your permanent duty station for a few years. Chances are that you will be assigned to a post in one of the 48 states that are contiguous though. I got assigned to Fort Campbell, Ky.

37. Post #397
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    I've been told that if you want to make a decent career out of being an infantry NCO, you'll end up in SOF.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

38. Post #398
    March 2006
    3,296 Posts
    I've been told that if you want to make a decent career out of being an infantry NCO, you'll end up in SOF.
    You never just end up in Special Forces. It is an extremely long and grueling process.

39. Post #399
    September 2009
    12,270 Posts
    Graduated 11C OSUT at Sand Hill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

40. Post #400
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    You never just end up in Special Forces. It is an extremely long and grueling process.
    I thought I wrote, "you should try to end up in SOF."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events