1. Post #1561
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,613 Posts
    General Manager of the store emails me telling me that i helped get a 100% Store survey from a customer and what do you know i was able to view it and it had my name and the customers comments about me being outstanding and helpful to the extreme and that i followed store procedure.

New schedule emailed to me and it has me listed for training and ontop of it after training doing a 6 hour shift turning it into a 11 hour shift total. They want to train me for the knowledge bar and the person training me is my old teacher that taught A+ Cert Classes in my high school.

sweet.
    Cubeman everybody loves you :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1562
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,404 Posts
    Cubeman everybody loves you :3

Checkout Comments:
    I was the only person in line. I was immediately assisted. The cashier asked for my email address and informed me I would receive a 15 dollar coupon for my next visit.

Did the Cashier who assisted you:

63. Smile AND make eye contact?
    Yes
    3/3
    64. Ask for OR verify any of your contact information?
    Yes
    4/4
    66. Treat you in a pleasant manner?
    Yes
    2/2
    67. Offer a "thank you" OR a pleasant closing?
    Yes
    2/2
    Did your cashier provide you with an advertising/sales flyer with your purchase?
    Yes
    2/2

Cashier Comments:
    The cashier was very pleasant. He asked me if I had shopped there before and verified my information. He obtained my email address and told me I would receive a coupon and other special offers. He noticed that my hands were full so he placed a store flyer in my bag for me and said, "You're all set. Thanks for coming and have a great day."

-
    Makes me realize, The best Retail is the smaller private companies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

3. Post #1563
    May 2011
    392 Posts
    Maaan. They went with the other guy that said he played video games for the Toys R Us job.. maybe they thought I was lying because all that came to mind were system names and Lego Batman.

At least they like me as a candidate and are keeping my app/resume on file..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

4. Post #1564
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,198 Posts
    I work for a medical equipment company that delivers oxygen equipment and stuff to people's homes and set it up. It's pretty much as far from a retail counter job as you can get, I go all over southern Indiana from the cities to the communes in the woods miles from civilization.

The other day I saw a bus that had been built into a house. Like, this house started out small with only a couple of rooms, then someone parked a silver 60s vintage bus next to it and built the fucking house out to enclose it. Half of the roof was resting on the bus, the other half on the rest of the house. They built a wall to enclose the half of the bus not touching the house, and I think they may have cut a hole into the bus to incorporate it into the house. I wish I took a picture, but it was at some weird private redneck lake and I didn't want to get out of the van.

People build crazy shit in the woods, I've seen houses with trailers grafted on, then 2nd story additions built over the trailers. Knocking out walls and connecting two or more trailers is normal. Subdivided houses are frequent, too, with multiple additions and three or more separate addresses being registered to the same structure. I've seen barns and outbuildings that look like shit but are actually really nice middle class houses inside. Hoarder houses come up from time to time too, usually inhabited by bedridden morbidly obese people.

We had a guy in an apartment that literally urinated on everything he owned, including the equipment we rented to him for a week. The van we took it back in stank of pee for days afterward. Naked people are frequent, equipment is returned with shit stains in ridiculous places, and once in a while people bleed out and die on our hospital beds and we have to clean the stains off before we can reuse the beds. Rednecks have threatened to shoot us, and our vans have been stuck in mud and rescued by Amish kids.

It can be a badass job, especially when you're romping through the countryside in a cargo van with music on and your bosses and coworkers 40 miles away. Once you're loaded up and out of the warehouse, you're pretty much on your own to complete the jobs you picked out. For half the day on Saturdays I'm the only one working and I have full responsibility for the medical equipment needs of all our current customers and any new people being discharged from the hospital with an oxygen prescription. The pay is the best I've had in my life, and frequent overtime opportunities are a nice supplement.

This is what I drive everyday since they replaced my E250 van. A 6' man can stand up in the back with room to spare, but you gotta watch out for the low bridges. It sucks gas like a flamethrower.

To summarize, screw retail. I could never do that, not after spending my days humping medical gear to crazy people's houses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #1565
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,000 Posts
    I just love it when my manager didn't even know that I could use the P.A. system at work.

Also today I was snapping at a girl and telling her what to do. So I felt bad.
    She was suppose to look after the self checkouts but she was always cleaning the doorway, (It had been raining and some water was in the walk way.) but she kept ignoring when the machines went off. So I called out her name and she went running to the machines.
    Then got told by the guy in charge, "That's what I like to see, you being bossy." Was very awkward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #1566
    June 2012
    75 Posts
    Start my new Saturday job in a pharmacy soon, shift is only 4 hours but 5 an hour will do me for a first proper job especially as I only turned 16 recently - wish me luck that I don't fuck up and reccomend someone the wrong drugs etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #1567
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    5 euros an hour for a job in a PHARMACY?

Jesus that sounds underpaid as fuck. Pharmacy workers are supposed to get tons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #1568

January 2012
    19 Posts

Eeerm, that's five pounds not euro.

Edit: in euros it would be about 6.14. And he's not an educated pharmacist thereby the low pay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1569
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,015 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #1570
    June 2012
    75 Posts

Like Ponu said, it's GBP not Euros, but that's beside the point - I'm not an actual pharmacist, it's just a Saturday job where I'll work the cash register as a sales assistant and just general 'household' things apparently, so checking shelf lives of items and apparently I've gotta clean the floor, but that's fine because it's only a small shop down my local high street anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #1571
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,644 Posts
    Start my new Saturday job in a pharmacy soon, shift is only 4 hours but 5 an hour will do me for a first proper job especially as I only turned 16 recently - wish me luck that I don't fuck up and reccomend someone the wrong drugs etc
    That's the pharmacists job, not a pharmacy tech's job.

You will be sorting pills or giving people their prescriptions.

Atleast, that is what they do at my Pharmacy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1572
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,822 Posts
    5 GBP is still below the US minimum wage. Which is still shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #1573
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    Like Ponu said, it's GBP not Euros, but that's beside the point - I'm not an actual pharmacist, it's just a Saturday job where I'll work the cash register as a sales assistant and just general 'household' things apparently, so checking shelf lives of items and apparently I've gotta clean the floor, but that's fine because it's only a small shop down my local high street anyway
    Eeerm, that's five pounds not euro.

Edit: in euros it would be about 6.14. And he's not an educated pharmacist thereby the low pay.
    Sorry. The GBP and Euro signs look similar.

But yeah no that's still very shit pay. That's LESS than what I'm making and I get minimum wage. You should get at least, I dunno, 8GBP/HR for pharmacy work? Educated or not.

14. Post #1574
    May 2011
    392 Posts
    Thursday is orientation for the beauty store. Yaaay. Here's hoping I stay in the "top half" of the employees since we're all starting as temporary.

Also, bi-weekly pay sucks and I have a bad feeling I'll be written up for too many item voids if I don't start figuring out how to scan shit right at the register. (I think it happens 2-3 times in a 5.5 hour shift for me, on average)

Primary job, please schedule me for that extra 15 minutes needed so I can take a lunch break after I've been around for another month or two. I'd appreciate it.

15. Post #1575
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,404 Posts
    So yesterday (Saturday) I came in and my front end manager told me that the General Manager wanted me for the day cause we borrowed a floor person sometimes to be put on register. She also was talking about me at the morning meeting saying how i Doubled my service plan sales and am constantly carrying the store nearly or more then double the amount of service plans sold store wide everyday I work.

Saturday I told 35 plans, 71 sold store wide.

Anyway, Training me for knowledge bar on tuesday and it looks like They want me to be an everything type of guy if need be. Which I don't mind cause people who do multiple jobs get paid more then generally both those pays combined.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #1576
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    CubeMan where do you work? That sounds an awful lot like Radioshack.

17. Post #1577
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    SNIP

Wrong motherfucking thread again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

18. Post #1578
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,404 Posts
    CubeMan where do you work? That sounds an awful lot like Radioshack.
    Micro Center, Trust me it's nothing like a radio shack. It's an amazing place to work at and service plans arn't as serious as you think. Just an extra that they recommend you sell and shows you are a good sales person.

Funny part is someone did this

Now

No ones acutally came in and taken pictures it's seem so the only thing i can post is our Build your own section and this is just the middle of it where the employees print out price quotes and build quotes if someone wants help pricing and building a pc, We write the best sales we have on the chalk boards nice and colorful. Basically trying to make it a enjoyable and fun place to look at and be

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

19. Post #1579
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    Well considering RadioShack is sort of like a toned down Circuit City (We also partnered with Circuit City on a lot of stuff, and when they went out of business we offered to take over all of their repair/service contracts for no charge to the customers).

So if you guys are like Circuit City then you're somewhat like RadioShack

As far as our service plans go, pretty much the same here. They're a little more important but not as important as Best Buy's service plans to them. They're actually good things to get. Mostly it's just a free replacement of the item within one or two years.

20. Post #1580
    July 2012
    20 Posts
    The post about the soft open at Target reminded me of the time I happened to go to WalMart just after they upgraded it to a Super... walking through the middle aisle toward the electronics, and I suddenly become awake enough to realize they aren't piping in music that morning, confused, I look around and notice the live string quartet they have on the other end of the store from where I came in, and went, "It's WalMart, it's not THAT fancy..."
    I have to tell you about the best moment of any career I ever had, though... working in a Suncoast (my fourth year at that store) two elderly gentlemen come in and we get to talking, turns out, one of them was blind, and the other was his assistant, and they were looking for a movie with a good story, rather than flash... after a bit of discussion, I suggest Brokedown Palace, just because the ending comes out of left field until you start to think on it, and then it turns into the best damn twist ending ever. The gentlemen nod and eventually decide to buy it. Two weeks later, I'm doing my usual stocking in the store, and a gentleman walks into the store and straight up to me, "That was a fantastic movie, thank you very much," and leaves. I have no long term memory, so it took me a moment to realize it was the guy's assistant, and the rest of the day was fantastic.
    To show the other side of retail, I was in the back of the store one day, talking to the store manager, and a guy walks in, walks past the racks of DVDs, past the other manager leaning on the register doing nothing, walks right up to me to interrupt my discussion with the store manager, "Do you guys sell furniture?"
    "Well, you've just walked the entire length of the store, and I can put my arms out and basically touch the width of it, so, no..."
    Which only just barely beats out the younger couple who came in and asked if we sold MP3s...

21. Post #1581
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,404 Posts
    Well considering RadioShack is sort of like a toned down Circuit City (We also partnered with Circuit City on a lot of stuff, and when they went out of business we offered to take over all of their repair/service contracts for no charge to the customers).

So if you guys are like Circuit City then you're somewhat like RadioShack

As far as our service plans go, pretty much the same here. They're a little more important but not as important as Best Buy's service plans to them. They're actually good things to get. Mostly it's just a free replacement of the item within one or two years.
    we are NOTHING like circuit city, For one we are dedicated to computers. The furthest we span from that is TV's, Even then all our TV's have a dvi or accept hdmi.

22. Post #1582
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    Sounds like CompUSA then.

23. Post #1583
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,404 Posts
    Yep p much, Cept CompUSA went bust and tigerdirect got em. Mother use to work for compusa too before they went bust.

24. Post #1584
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,193 Posts
    Microcenter is fucking amazing for certain parts. GPUs, not so much.

25. Post #1585
    June 2012
    75 Posts
    That's the pharmacists job, not a pharmacy tech's job.

You will be sorting pills or giving people their prescriptions.

Atleast, that is what they do at my Pharmacy.
    When I said it, I meant it in the sense of giving people the wrong prescriptions (I obviously won't be trying to give people the wrong stuff). However, I'm apparently doing an on-the-job training course where I'll be taught the basic suggestions for frequently asked questions, e.g. someone coming in and saying they have a cough, what treatment to suggest to them. Also it'll just be me and the proper pharmacist in throughout the entirety of the 4-hour working day, so when they're busy I'll have to answer the questions (unless it's more serious)

UK Minimum Wage for 16 - 17 year olds is unfortunately only 3.68, so compared to that, my 5/hr isn't too bad imo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #1586
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,404 Posts
    When I said it, I meant it in the sense of giving people the wrong prescriptions (I obviously won't be trying to give people the wrong stuff). However, I'm apparently doing an on-the-job training course where I'll be taught the basic suggestions for frequently asked questions, e.g. someone coming in and saying they have a cough, what treatment to suggest to them. Also it'll just be me and the proper pharmacist in throughout the entirety of the 4-hour working day, so when they're busy I'll have to answer the questions (unless it's more serious)

UK Minimum Wage for 16 - 17 year olds is unfortunately only 3.68, so compared to that, my 5/hr isn't too bad imo
    3.68 euros is like 4 bucks and change in usd, what the fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1587
    April 2009
    1,928 Posts
    3.68 euros is like 4 bucks and change in usd, what the fuck
    GBP not Euros. And I'm only on 4.80p/h (which is about $7.50) at the cafe I work at, although it will go up in October when I'm 18.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #1588
    Donny, you're out of your element!
    October 2009
    507 Posts
    I'm so glad I work sundays, the time and half brings me up to 7.75 an hour, and that actually adds the equivalent to an extra 16 hours work onto my paycheck.

Edited:

Also pay for under 18s in the UK tends to be rubbish, I earn 5.50 an hour which is considered decent, up to 6.50 when I turn 18. My friend is only making 4 an hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #1589
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,986 Posts
    Reading about the wages, I'm surprised they are so low in other parts of Europe. I have a friend working at a supermarket here in Sweden and he gets 10.5/hour on normal days and double that on weekends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

30. Post #1590
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    How the fuck can you live on 5 pounds an hour? That's ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #1591
    April 2009
    1,928 Posts
    For me its only a weekend (really only Sundays) job for a bit of extra cash. I'm only 17 and still at home so I don't really need the money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1592
    BAR
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    443 Posts
    The wages for 16 - 17 year olds are generally so low because at that age most are still living at home. Although I agree it is a shit wage and generally have the worst jobs to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1593
    June 2012
    75 Posts
    For me its only a weekend (really only Sundays) job for a bit of extra cash. I'm only 17 and still at home so I don't really need the money.
    Pretty much this as well, except I'll be working on Saturdays instead. Most pay for jobs (for 16-17 year olds) in the UK is shitty compared to some things, but it's workable so I'm not gonna complain too much. Also it's better than when I worked on my paper round last year, that was less than minimum wage, I think, getting up daily before school and also early on weekends, but the ~200 I got in Christmas tips was much appreciated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1594
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    The wages for 16 - 17 year olds are generally so low because at that age most are still living at home. Although I agree it is a shit wage and generally have the worst jobs to do.
    It's not like you magically get a raise when you turn 18 lol, minimum wage is still the same for adults and teenagers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #1595
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    Uh, seems like from UK law it does.

6.08 per hour for adult workers (21+)
    4.98 per hour for 18-to-20-year-old
    3.68 per hour for under-18s who have finished compulsory education
    2.60 per hour for apprentices under 19 years old or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uk_minimum_wage

I mean, if an employer has someone working for them that's 20, and they turn 21, they are required by law to increase their pay rate. It isn't something the employer has any say in.

36. Post #1596
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,000 Posts
    My pay goes up each birthday until I turn 21 or maybe older.
    It goes from $15.90 an hour to $18 when I turn 20 soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

37. Post #1597
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    Where do you work that you get paid $15.90 an hour at 19?

I want to work there.

I'm an assistant manager and I only get $9.20
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #1598
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,473 Posts
    fuck pepsi next

people keep buying bottles of that shit thinking its regular pepsi and they keep returning it because it tastes different.

god damn pepsi next
    fuck pepsi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

39. Post #1599
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    Why not just politely tell the people that buy it that it's not the same as regular pepsi?

"I see you've got that new Pepsi Next there. Just making sure, are you aware that it does not taste like regular pepsi? It's a sort of diet version with more flavour. But it still has that artificial sweetener taste."

40. Post #1600
    "If something happens, be assured it was planned this way"
    April 2010
    1,971 Posts

Well for a couple months now I have been working for a store called Building 19. We steal other stores shopping carts, take shit that nobody wants and destroy almost everything that comes into contact with us. We also offer free coffee! What does that mean? Coffee cups EVERYWHERE. The bathrooms, on shelves, IN boxes of merchandise, That's right IN boxes of merchandise, people rip the boxes open, look at them and shove their trash in it - On that note, you cant find a box that hasn't been torn apart - You want an eight piece cup set? Well your guaranteed to get two! Missing a knob on your microwave? Well just come on in and rip it off one of ours!

It's like people honestly take what they need, they see a makeup kit and realize they're missing a brush, instead of buying the whole set they'll rip off the brush and leave the store without paying for it.

There is no organization, everything is just thrown into giant wooden crates, You'll find industrial sized floor cleaner next to children's toys and food.

If you think I'm exaggerating, watch the video:

Also, the website pretty much sums up the whole store. http://wwwv.building19.com (the website is periodically down)

The job is quite easy because nobody in the store cares, its honestly a shithole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Winner Winner x 13 (list)