1. Post #1

Welcome all to the land of the broken, where we share tips, tutorials and solutions for the poor for better photography.

Thread still WIP, doing this through my girlfriend's dizzy laptop.

I'll begin with the content :

Fig Rig - Wheel-like steadicam.

Pole Stabilizer

http://14dollarstabilizer.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    483 Posts
    Neither of these rigs are remotely useful for photography.

but here's a DIY dolly system for cinematographers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    if you have a nex (or m4/3rds, you can find this same package on ebay) and you want more shallow DoF and are a cheap ass get this lens. also comes with macro rings, making it a cheap general purpose lens, plus it's the smallest 50mm equiv you can get!
    http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging...8651817&sr=8-1

here's a photo and video example. Video is at f1.7, photo is like f3.5

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    I made a ghetto paper flash bounce.
    Basically, it was the night before EXPcon and I forgot that I wanted to buy a soft-box diffuser. So I decided to make this, as going raw flash was unacceptable.
    It started off as 2 pieces of 11x14 watercolor paper (its double layered for strength), cut, folded, stapled and taped together. Then coated on the outside with some flat black spray paint. It worked well enough, but it does put the flash up rather high, which may or may not be a good thing.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    ask me about my title
    August 2009
    2,760 Posts
    Cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    I just bought an old Helios 44-2 f/2 lens from another facepuncher for 10 for my D3100 and ordered an adapter on ebay. I'll tell you guys how it goes :)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    In the past week or so I've been doing quite a bit of DIY for videos as my friend and I are readying up to film a new comedy show

So far I've built:

2 lighting rigs

These were built using two standard camera tripods as bases with the screw threads removed and replaced with longer ones so they are permentaly fixed to the quick release base, meaning the lights can be rasied and tilted slightly if required.
    Built using hardboard covered in tin foil for the sides and MDF for the back, each have 4 baton bulb holders fitted with 60W halogen bulbs and are plugged into a dimmer unit so you can vary the amount of light, or just quickly change the bulbs

Also built a boom mic

Already had the external microphone. Took two legs off an old cheap tripod and the middle section from the 3rd leg to connect the two ends together, drill and place two screws through to hold either end to the middle piece. Bought a cheap shoe adapter off amazon, screwed it to one end to hold the microphone then bought a 5m long male-female jack cable to connect the microphone to the camera

Here it is a full length

Next project is a smallish dolly track that can sit on the floor or fasten onto my tripod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Those are great stuff Angus, I'll be trying to check out your light recipe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    Those are great stuff Angus, I'll be trying to check out your light recipe.
    Go for it, they'll fantastic for the purpose, only alteration I would make if I were you is not to make the reflectors so big coming forward, I was using long tube energy savers at first and was guessing the sizes. Then switched to normal halogens so I could fit a dimmer. At the moment they are quite heavy, I did fit an L shape bracket to try and shift some of the weight towards the back but still, you can not tilt the light head too far forward but in fairness there is not much need to.

If anyone wants any pointers or a clearer idea how I built mine just give us a shout
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    Found this a while back:
    http://www.diyphotography.net/studio...ing-light-ever

Basically its just a bunch of images of black background with white rings that simulate a ring light, you put them up on a big HDTV or computer monitor and you have a ghetto ring light.

I tried it as the only light source and got this:

The amount of light it puts off is abysmal, so its pretty much limited to being used really close to the subject.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Go for it, they'll fantastic for the purpose, only alteration I would make if I were you is not to make the reflectors so big coming forward, I was using long tube energy savers at first and was guessing the sizes. Then switched to normal halogens so I could fit a dimmer. At the moment they are quite heavy, I did fit an L shape bracket to try and shift some of the weight towards the back but still, you can not tilt the light head too far forward but in fairness there is not much need to.

If anyone wants any pointers or a clearer idea how I built mine just give us a shout
    I'll be using salad bowls as the reflectors, easier imo.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    I'll be using salad bowls as the reflectors, easier imo.
    More than likely. You'll probably still have to fit a thick, solid background to it since I am not sure how stable a salad bowl would be with lights fittings in one and and a bracket screwed in the back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    Just made a shoulder rig for my T2i.

The difficultier thing to solve was "how to screw the camera on it"

We solved it with some wood planks and imagination.

Been very happy with the results!

I spent 20 Reais, around 12 Us dollars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,219 Posts
    Just made a shoulder rig for my T2i.

The difficultier thing to solve was "how to screw the camera on it"

We solved it with some wood planks and imagination.

Been very happy with the results!

I spent 20 Reais, around 12 Us dollars.
    Can you post pictures or something?

15. Post #15
    Any pictures of it?

On topic: I wonder if I can buy one of those security camera wide angles and glue/screw it on my webcam.

16. Post #16
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    Any pictures of it?

On topic: I wonder if I can buy one of those security camera wide angles and glue/screw it on my webcam.
    They're on facebook, hope you guyes don't care!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Don't go near a warzone with that thing or you'll get shot
    It looks badass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gonna build a shoulder rig aswell, heard it's fantastic.

19. Post #19
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    Gonna build a shoulder rig aswell, heard it's fantastic.
    Pretty stable and easy to make.

I totally recomend an quick release method, it makes things easier.

If you cant have it, i can make a tutorial on how i made mine "shoulder rig head".

20. Post #20
    I'd be happy for a tutorial :).

21. Post #21
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,545 Posts
    Made me one of them lenses

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    I'd be happy for a tutorial :).
    I'll upload one on youtube till sunday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2012
    150 Posts
    Does anyone know how to make a DIY ring light? I like how they make the subjects look for portrait work I just don't have the money to buy one.

24. Post #24

Basic ceiling lamp on a stand, shoot through hole. I'll be making it this week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    Made this guy a while ago. Love it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Are these metal pipes or PVC?, looks well made Ohfoohy. How's the DSLR holding onto it?

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    Are these metal pipes or PVC?, looks well made Ohfoohy. How's the DSLR holding onto it?
    the screw in the middle goes into the tripod hole I think

28. Post #28
    the screw in the middle goes into the tripod hole I think
    I think he meant more like is it fastened securely, does it wobble etc

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    I think he meant more like is it fastened securely, does it wobble etc
    I'd be worried a long thin bolt like that might be prone to snapping under the weight of a camera and lens.

30. Post #30
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    PVC

The only problem I'm having with it (and still trying to solve) is mounting the camera and keeping it tight. If you set the camera on the screw, and turn it, when it gets tight enough the cap to the PVC pipe will just turn with it. But if you put the nut up to the camera, and you tighten everything down well, then it works great. Super solid, no signs of the screw giving out or anything. I would recommend looking into a different mounting method, such as a quick release plate.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,262 Posts
    Made me one of them lenses
    Dem pixels on the monitor.

That's really cool man.

32. Post #32
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    Shooting the tutorial about the should rig "head" now, by night it'll be done.

-edit-

Finished.

Not even close to something professional, just to help you!

Hope the bad english doesnt bother.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    DIY Light pole + lighting + Softbox.

Did it today, it does it's job well enought, its a little bit hardier to do, in fact, just the softbox was almost impossible to make. It took a lot of tape to stand still.

Sample images with it.
    Eos rebel 550D
    18-55mm lens
    F/ around 4.0
    Iso 200
    1/25

Facebook compress the images too much x-x

34. Post #34
    That shit's so ghetto, true stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    I'm planning on making an intervalometer to shoot some neato timelapses, curse you nikon and your goddamn proprietary connections, wish it had a normal 2.5mm plug or something instead of THIS

Also thinking about making a little pinhole camera and gutting some old LED flashlights to make a macro ringlight

36. Post #36

December 2009
    820 Posts
    I'm planning on making an intervalometer to shoot some neato timelapses, curse you nikon and your goddamn proprietary connections, wish it had a normal 2.5mm plug or something instead of THIS

Also thinking about making a little pinhole camera and gutting some old LED flashlights to make a macro ringlight
    Are you sure this won't work?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...emote_for.html

I have one and it works great. Here's an example I did

And the remastered version

37. Post #37
    Are you sure this won't work?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...emote_for.html

I have one and it works great. Here's an example I did

And the remastered version
    yeah but screw paying fiddy bucks for it
    I can just make it with a few parts like a 555 timer and some potentiometers, all I need is the connector which I can get from a $5 shutter cord or get a prop-to-2.5mm somewhere

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,855 Posts
    With the DIY shoulder rigs, wouldn't adding heavy materials be helpful? Since of all the diy tuts out there no one really puts weights on it, yet actual rigs are a little heavy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2007
    641 Posts
    Cheap macro lens ahoy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)