1. Post #1
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    Hello everyone.

So, my PC is quite old and I wan't to get a new one. But, it is cheaper to build your own, so, I am doing that; with the help of a friend who builds PC's and someone in the IT industry I know. I pretty much, in the most simplest form, want a gaming PC that can play any game currently in the market on the maximum graphical settings with no frame rate drops or lag. I don't want to spend any more than 650. Because I am also not made of money. So, can anyone suggest any parts / builds? Please Note: This is solely for components alone. No peripherals. Just the bare-bone components.

These are some of the specs suggested to me:

- Guy in the IT Industry -

http://gyazo.com/8f1ee7797652cbd55c1212c2358c2a0c

- Computer Builder -

http://awesomescreenshot.com/04bscudcf

Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,271 Posts
    Yeah those parts that guy gave you seem to be pretty good.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    First one but cheaper wireless card.

4. Post #4

January 2012
    429 Posts
    FYI your pc builder doesnt know jack shit.
    First one but cheaper wireless card.
    Dont thats bad advice there.
    If you can go wired, i got a 5x increase (4mb's tp 17mb's) but thats in an old sandstone house.
    Dont get vengence ram with the heatspeaders.

5. Post #5
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,737 Posts
    FYI your pc builder doesnt know jack shit.
    I kept telling him this over steam.

Also Daniel, with my build you'll obviously need a DVD Drive, which are fucking cheap anyway.

Edited:

also you always want the best Daniel, but you don't seem to realise you can't always have what you want

6. Post #6
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    I kept telling him this over steam.

Also Daniel, with my build you'll obviously need a DVD Drive, which are fucking cheap anyway.

Edited:

also you always want the best Daniel, but you don't seem to realise you can't always have what you want
    I'm a spoilt little child. I get all I wan't, Kurtis. You know this.

7. Post #7
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    You know that single harddrive is gunna be a bottle neck. I would get 2x 500gb drives okay overall abit more but it would be faster.

Thats assuming your only going to use just that single drive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,271 Posts
    To remove HDD bottleneck, get an SSD.

RAID is not really that good, higher failure rates etc. And it will cost more than a single 1TB HDD.

9. Post #9

February 2012
    108 Posts
    I Am Sphinxa's Mapping Slut<

10. Post #10
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    To remove HDD bottleneck, get an SSD.

RAID is not really that good, higher failure rates etc. And it will cost more than a single 1TB HDD.

Sorry, what is HDD bottleneck? Also, I do have a old 300GB which I can use for the OS / core files.

11. Post #11

February 2012
    108 Posts
    hdd bottleneck is when all of the hardware in the computer has to wait for the hdd to complete spinup/read-write operations and such

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,271 Posts
    And HDD bottleneck is not serious. No need to worry about that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13

February 2012
    108 Posts
    yeah, the only things really affected by that are load/boot times

14. Post #14
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    yeah, the only things really affected by that are load/boot times
    ok

15. Post #15
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    Obviously people don't multi-task then. If you have that much ram and a powerful CPU why are you not multi-tasking? Its what there designed to do, I had a setup not too far away from that on a single 500gb normal 7200rpm drive, that caused horrible bottlenecks while it was loading some other program or rendering or doing normal stuff it just caused everything else to wait.

The larger the amount of space on a drive the larger the platter is in the disk, okay that physical platter size gets smaller as technology moves on, but overall the larger the single drive the longer the seek times take, okay only like 0.8ms at max but alot of files spread out over a large physical area....

Why servers has 15k rpm drives to cope with this, and you generally won't find a server with a single drive larger than 600gb because of this unless its just a file storage server.

Just saying ;p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

February 2012
    108 Posts
    ;p

Edited:

snide motherfucker

Edited:

what the hell are you talking about anyway, plenty of servers use high capacity low RPM hard drives. Generally their jobs require repetition and reuse of a small set of commands or applications, so most of those are loaded to memory and kept there until needed, not stored on the hard-drive and re-read every two minutes.

17. Post #17
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    Obviously no-one here actually builds/manages servers on a large scale?

For instance the off-site backup we have uses large capacity disks because it only needs to store data, were as the worker servers such as web-servers, DB servers, game servers, vpn servers, radius servers, file servers etc all use 300gb 15k drives.

The SAN devices use the same config for the VMWare platform on blade serves.

I know what I'm talking about. Large capacity disks should only be used for data storage rather than continues operation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    Would it be wise to conserve money and use my old 300 GB HDD for the OS or buy a new one?

19. Post #19
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    300gb is plenty for OS drive, you could also put your PageFiles on that drive as well. And put any core critical programs on that such as anti-virus, drivers, so it can leave your other drives open and ready for stuff.

20. Post #20
    July 2007
    7,737 Posts
    Get a 40GB SSD for your Windows and Core Programs, worked like a treat for me.

21. Post #21
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    I have a; "300GB Seagate ST3320620AS" thinking of using that for the OS and Core Programs.

22. Post #22
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,944 Posts
    Obviously no-one here actually builds/manages servers on a large scale?

For instance the off-site backup we have uses large capacity disks because it only needs to store data, were as the worker servers such as web-servers, DB servers, game servers, vpn servers, radius servers, file servers etc all use 300gb 15k drives.

The SAN devices use the same config for the VMWare platform on blade serves.

I know what I'm talking about. Large capacity disks should only be used for data storage rather than continues operation.
    this isn't a server and noone cares about what you learned during your A+ cert course

Edited:

it's not even a problem on desktops with a good drive like a Spinpoint F3 with AHCI enabled
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    I don't have an A+ cert lol. Through experience, expert teaching and general knowledge.

Servers are just desktop PCs just stripped down, have really high reliability and high-availability. People just build them to be faster as they have to "serve" out data.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2007
    7,737 Posts
    I have a; "300GB Seagate ST3320620AS" thinking of using that for the OS and Core Programs.
    40GB SSD for Windows, you'll love it, trust me babe ;)

25. Post #25
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    40GB SSD for Windows, you'll love it, trust me babe ;)
    How much?

26. Post #26
    July 2007
    7,737 Posts

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts

28. Post #28
    July 2007
    7,737 Posts
    Completely forgot about the Crucial M4s we have one in a machine here in the office, excellent SSD.