1. Post #1
    July 2011
    284 Posts
    Been working on this for a few months now. Started off as a command line tool to streamline the process of starting up TF2 idling accounts which then evolved into a GUI tool because I wanted to learn how to write a GUI program in Python.

TF2Idle is an open source GUI for managing idle accounts in TF2. What it is is a fancier way of starting up TF2 accounts in sandboxes with arguments. It is nothing more complicated than using .bat files. For idling on multiple accounts at the same time it requires Sandboxie. What it is not is a tool that modifies or circumvents the game or Steam in any way.

It can handle many accounts, it can handle sandboxes (terminating, emptying and experimental support for automatically creating and deleting them on the fly) and it can log item drops in an easy to use interface.

You can find the source code here and a precompiled exe can be found on the downloads page (formerly http://github.com/Moussekateer/TF2IdleGUI/downloads).

Hopefully the program is self explanatory but I will be expanding the readme soon. I will be also adding more features in the coming weeks. If you use it please let me know of any bugs/criticisms/problems.

Feedback, bug reports, and feature requests can be reported at the TF2Idle uservoice site

FAQ

* Any plans for an Mac version?
    > Unlikely I'm afraid. Sandboxie doesn't work on OSX afaik and I am not familiar with the OS at all so I wouldn't know how to start the game and such. The program will work in OSX though as Python is platform compatible, but a lot of the code will need to be rewritten.

* How do I get an API key?
    > Visit http://steamcommunity.com/dev and read the terms and conditions before signing up.

* I get an error when trying to launch TF2 through the program
    > Make sure you have correctly entered the relevant paths to Steam.exe and the like correctly in settings.

Version History
    * Version 1.9.5
    ** Add item values to items in drop log using the backpack.tf IGetPrices API
    ** Steam and TF2 now starts in low priority mode
    ** Improved identification of dropped items
    ** Save account and program settings to config file on every change rather than just on program exit
    ** Added setting for auto-logging idled accounts
    ** Fixed some wording on dialogs
    ** Only show crate series on normal crates
    ** Fix bug with window size not being saved if close to tray is enabled

* Version 1.9.3
    ** Better Steam API failure handling
    ** Completely remove lag on adding multiple accounts to drop log
    ** Increase max number of account box columns to 20
    ** Better flexible resizing for account boxes so that more can fit on screen
    ** Add link to uservoice forum for bug reports, feature requests or feedback in about menu
    ** Fixed bug with accounts that have spaces in the password
    ** Fixed bug with multiple values being set with steam install path or groups in accounts view

* Version 1.9.0
    ** Added new aggregate view for drop log
    ** Added links to backpack and wiki links for items in drop log viewer
    ** Added sortable columns in drop log
    ** Automatically start logging accounts when idled
    ** Added web viewer port settings
    ** Added option to use account group to deselect accounts
    ** Added new icons in menus
    ** Added setting to change program behaviour to minimize to tray on close
    ** Fix small bug with web viewer port

* Version 1.6.0
    ** Added web viewer for drop log on port 5000. Port forwarding will need to be set up for external networks
    ** Added system tray pop up notifications
    ** Fixed bug with Sandboxie easy mode pointing to wrong directory for Steam.exe
    ** Better error logging

* Version 1.5.3
    ** Fixed program not remembering being maximised on launch
    ** Fix bug with drop log missing items. It will now log all items dropped between polls

* Version 1.5.1
    ** Fixed bug with drop log where drop log would fail on finding craft_items
    ** Added backpack.tf as a backpack viewer
    ** Changed default backpack viewer to Steam

* Version 1.5.0
    ** Changed copy gcfs function to instead open dialog after process has finished instead of before
    ** Added dialog check on app quit
    ** Added facepunch thread link
    ** Added scrolling for group selection dialog
    ** Fixed bug with accounts remaining selected after group selections
    ** Updated TF2B backpack link
    ** Fixed issue with using special characters in passwords/usernames/any config file option

* Version 1.3.0
    ** Added option to launch any program sandboxed for each account
    ** Added option to define per account launch parameters
    ** Increased max account delay to 10 minutes
    ** Drop log now shows crate series
    ** Removed restriction on what filetype logs can be saved as
    ** Added alphabetical ordering in groups dialog
    ** Fixed bug with account launch delay where some accounts would fail to launch
    ** Fixed Sandboxie errors when deleting the contents of too many sandboxes at once

* Version 1.1.1
    ** Fixed bug with saving drops to log file
    ** Changed an icon

* Version 1.1.0
    ** Added option to add delay between account launches
    ** Added option to modify drop log output file formatting
    ** Tweaked update gcf icon
    ** Added progress icons for gcf updating
    ** Fixed bug with changing multiple account sandbox names

* Version 1.0.0
    ** Initial release

Click here for a guide on using TF2Idle, kindly written by iviv.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 104Useful x 24Dumb x 13Optimistic x 3Funny x 2Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

January 2012
    7 Posts
    Beta tested this from start to finish. It is hobo approved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I don't give a shit about your dumb opinion, my opinion is the one that counts.
    June 2011
    7,032 Posts
    Very nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    If only I actually had multiple accounts. Excellent work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2010
    121 Posts
    Code is Wind-approved, but purpose is not Wind-endorsed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 14Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2010
    1,514 Posts
    It's a glorified version of what I was already doing, which I am totally okay with. Great tool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    November 2009
    2,494 Posts
    interesting, too bad i only have 2 extra accounts and my sandbox is free
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2010
    1,514 Posts
    I'm not sure if I am just doing this incorrectly or if this is not supported, but I have two Steam accounts that I'd like to idle asynchronously, without messing with a sandbox. Is there a way to set this up correctly? Currently it appears I can only idle with the account I am currently logged in as, regardless of the information I provide to another account.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    July 2011
    284 Posts
    I'm not sure if I am just doing this incorrectly or if this is not supported, but I have two Steam accounts that I'd like to idle asynchronously, without messing with a sandbox. Is there a way to set this up correctly? Currently it appears I can only idle with the account I am currently logged in as, regardless of the information I provide to another account.
    The 'Idle unsandboxed' option will launch the selected account for idling without a sandbox. Unfortunately I don't have a way to sign you out of the currently signed in account, so you will have to exit Steam and then use that option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #10
    October 2010
    1,514 Posts
    The 'Idle unsandboxed' option will launch the selected account for idling without a sandbox. Unfortunately I don't have a way to sign you out of the currently signed in account, so you will have to exit Steam and then use that option.
    so I have to log out manually, but the program will log in and idle for me?

11. Post #11

January 2012
    7 Posts
    Yep. By closing out of steam and clicking the idle unsandboxed option, it will start up that account and begin idling with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2011
    7,032 Posts
    Do you plan on adding some better looking icons any soon?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Stick Figure Artist
    July 2009
    3,906 Posts
    Been using this for a few hours, lovin' it. Thank you sir

14. Post #14
    July 2011
    284 Posts
    so I have to log out manually, but the program will log in and idle for me?
    Yes, unless you're already in the account that you want to idle on.

Do you plan on adding some better looking icons any soon?
    Eventually, when I get hold of some :p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15

January 2012
    3 Posts
    Really nice program, but where does it store the account information? Also, is there any possibility of importing/exporting account settings?

16. Post #16
    July 2011
    284 Posts
    Really nice program, but where does it store the account information? Also, is there any possibility of importing/exporting account settings?
    It's saved in a text file called tf2idle.ini that will appear in the same folder as the exe. It's saved as plaintext but you can choose to have it encrypted in the program settings. If you open it up you can see the general format for adding accounts so it's trivial to add/remove accounts by editing the ini file.

17. Post #17
    Rocks are hot
    November 2011
    2,414 Posts
    snip it worked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events

18. Post #18
    April 2010
    1,780 Posts
    -snip-
    ill try it out

19. Post #19
    Rocks are hot
    November 2011
    2,414 Posts
    It crashes after i launch one account

20. Post #20
    April 2010
    1,780 Posts
    I'm really stupid and someone should make a "how to" video.
    :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    691 Posts
    Awesome program and doesn't have virus in it!

After trying it, it's TF2 text mode idling but more user friendly (and easy to manage if you want to idle with X amounts of chars).
    To anyone trying to idle, first add account, then press on it, push yellow button named "Idle Unsanboxed" and you're ready to go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    July 2009
    5,409 Posts
    Makes me wish I had more accounts. Looks pretty nifty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2007
    317 Posts
    It says it'll create the sandboxes on the fly, but it seems like I need to install steam and tf2 manually into each sandbox?

EDIT: Looks like I need to buy a license for sandboxie to run more than one anyway, guess I'll trial it with just one account for now. (Would be nice to know if there's an easier way than just copying across my steam directory into a manually made sandbox)

EDIT 2: Also, quick question about sandboxie, it looks like it'll remove the sandbox when I turn off my pc, I don't want to spend 15 minutes copying files every time I want to idle, is there a way to keep sandboxes?

24. Post #24
    Rocks are hot
    November 2011
    2,414 Posts
    Is there any way to get Steam API key without buying shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Right when Sandboxie was causing troubles to my computer, you're a fucking genius and I love you forever.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,664 Posts
    I really need a step-by-step tutorial.
    Im so brain-dead with this stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    November 2011
    10,659 Posts
    oh shit son time to buy some accounts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    I really need a step-by-step tutorial.
    Im so brain-dead with this stuff.
    It's easy as shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    CUNT DESTROYER
    August 2008
    10,825 Posts
    Very nice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2011
    284 Posts
    It says it'll create the sandboxes on the fly, but it seems like I need to install steam and tf2 manually into each sandbox?

EDIT: Looks like I need to buy a license for sandboxie to run more than one anyway, guess I'll trial it with just one account for now. (Would be nice to know if there's an easier way than just copying across my steam directory into a manually made sandbox)

EDIT 2: Also, quick question about sandboxie, it looks like it'll remove the sandbox when I turn off my pc, I don't want to spend 15 minutes copying files every time I want to idle, is there a way to keep sandboxes?
    You just copy over the steam folder and tf2 gcfs only to a separate location. Then you create a sandbox in Sandboxie pointing to this backup Steam folder. It should not delete it if you remove the sandbox

32. Post #32

January 2012
    7 Posts
    Someone please make some better icons though because all of his are so ugly ;~;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,230 Posts
    I don't mind making icons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events

34. Post #34
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,096 Posts
    Post the icon sheet here and I'll try my hand at it, I don't really see anything wrong with them though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35

January 2012
    7 Posts
    https://github.com/Moussekateer/TF2I.../master/images

The icons and images are all in here in the source files

36. Post #36
    October 2007
    317 Posts
    Someone please make some better icons though because all of his are so ugly ;~;
    but... these icons are beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37

January 2012
    7 Posts
    I don't like them only because there were originally different icons that looks better but he changed them before releasing it. I personally don't like these icons in comparison
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    26,039 Posts
    Right when Sandboxie was causing troubles to my computer, you're a fucking genius and I love you forever.

Edited:

Holy shit 10 accounts?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 12Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    June 2011
    7,032 Posts
    Is there any way to get Steam API key without buying shit?
    http://steamcommunity.com/dev/apikey
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

40. Post #40
    Rocks are hot
    November 2011
    2,414 Posts
    You will be granted a key when you purchase something from store.