1. Post #361
    January 2012
    47 Posts
    Well, I went vegetarian last thursday and I'm going to experiment and see how I feel, if I feel healthier, exercise more easily, shit like that. I did this for a week before but that's not enough time for me to find out. I'll give it a month trial, and if I feel better overall then I will just stick with it. I already know ALL about vegetarian nutrition so I will have no problem with that stuff. I'll see how stuff goes.

Edited:

And when I said that many Vegans have a tendency to act superior to animal-products consuming people.
    One example would be Onision (Greg) on youtube.
    I do kinda agree with you there.. When I meet a vegan they seem to think they are all superior because they don't eat ANY animal products (which I think is just not as healthy as being ovo-lacto vegetarian or just a regular omnivore) and they judge everyone they see. Of course, not ALL of them are like that, but a huge portion of vegans are indeed like that. Just go take a look at a veg*n forum and watch how vegans shit all over everyone while the regular vegetarian members are just cool with everything and aren't judgmental and stuff.

2. Post #362

October 2011
    361 Posts
    I don't have any problem with them. It's none of my business what someone else decides to eat.

3. Post #363
    June 2011
    8,804 Posts
    Well, I went vegetarian last thursday and I'm going to experiment and see how I feel, if I feel healthier, exercise more easily, shit like that. I did this for a week before but that's not enough time for me to find out. I'll give it a month trial, and if I feel better overall then I will just stick with it. I already know ALL about vegetarian nutrition so I will have no problem with that stuff. I'll see how stuff goes.
    Eliminating meat from your diet isn't going to magically make you feel and exercise better, it's all about how you manage your food, if you're eating shit-quality meat or overall have a poor diet of course you'll feel unhealthy.

4. Post #364
    Gold Member

February 2005
    2,305 Posts
    My girlfriend and mother are vegitarians and they are fine; My mother has to prepare meat when she cooks at work so she is kind of desensitised to it, my girlfriend doesnt like touching meat but she has no problem with other people eating it.

Never really met anyone that actually looks down on other people because they aren't vegitarian, and I have never met a vegan.

5. Post #365
    January 2012
    47 Posts
    Eliminating meat from your diet isn't going to magically make you feel and exercise better, it's all about how you manage your food, if you're eating shit-quality meat or overall have a poor diet of course you'll feel unhealthy.
    Some say eliminating meat from your diet gives you some type of boost in energy after a while. I'm going to experiment and find out, no harm in that. I already manage my food very well when I have meat included, and I know all about vegetarian nutrition too so I'll be fine.

6. Post #366
    March 2010
    427 Posts
    I was a vegetarian for 3 years and while I found the experience to be easy (first world society allows it), I compared my intake to the basic dietary needs of humans and saw that I was off track. Limiting some meat in your diet is fine, especially unhealthy red meats like pork and beef, but potentially limiting your protein intake while maintaining a much higher carb intake can have real negative consequences and probably isn't a good choice for most people.

7. Post #367
    August 2009
    14,861 Posts
    a bunch of my friends are vegetarians. They're pretty cool and they're alright when we cook meat at barbies just they don't have any

good for them and all but I'll stick with meat.

8. Post #368
    September 2009
    347 Posts
    I'm not saying that they exist solely to be eaten. In all honesty I don't think there is any real reason to the existence of anything, humans and animals exist because they can not because they're needed. What I'm saying is, there is no real laws in nature that says that one species should not eat another. This is the core part of many animals survival. We're part of the food chain just as much as every other animal in existence.
    If there are no "real" (or natural) laws that say one species should eat another, then there are no laws that say that a more advanced form of life can't eat us, so you shouldn't be against that either.

Appealing to natural laws to determine what humans should do wont work at all, that's why we have moral laws.

I think the world exists without purpose and without morals. No animal or man exists for a purpose, they exist because they survive. The world does not need any creature to exist, the creatures of the world need each other to exist. We survive, and many of us survive by relying on other animals. We don't need to, we want to, for our survival. Morals are a man-made concept and my morals are defined by doing what benefits humanity, while if having to hurt others for that goal, do it respectfully and never in unneccesarily sadistic ways.
    Of course morals are man-made, and if you define morals like that doesn't mean that another person should do it in the same way you do. Actually, they probably won't define morals in the same way you do, but you have to accept and respect them as long as they do not interfere with your moral interpretation of the world.

9. Post #369
    August 2009
    784 Posts
    I have friends who are vegetarians and I really do not care, it's perfectly fine they don't eat meat. The only times I get annoyed is when one of them has to say something about the fact I or a friend am eating meat and they go "Oh are you enjoying your -Insert Animal Here-?" I typically just reply with, "Yes now shut up and let me eat." But god help me whenever they mention meat is murder I would much rather state "No this is murder." and beat them to death, I get it you're against it but let me enjoy my food.

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,446 Posts
    Some say eliminating meat from your diet gives you some type of boost in energy after a while. I'm going to experiment and find out, no harm in that. I already manage my food very well when I have meat included, and I know all about vegetarian nutrition too so I'll be fine.
    The whole energy boost thing might be a placebo effect.

What I can say from my experience was that having a 50/50 or more green on you lunch and excersicing regularly gives you an energy boost and helps you maintain your sleeping routine.
    I've kept on with that life style for a couple of weeks, but for the time I've been on winter vacation I haven't excercised much or eaten healthy but the effects from the time I did still carry on: I can't stay up longer than 1 AM and I wake up at 8 AM no matter what.

11. Post #371
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    I eat meat because if I didn't I wouldn't be a good weight lifter.

Unless I ate an excessive amount of protein powders

Lean meats of course, I don't like red meats

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,287 Posts
    If there are no "real" (or natural) laws that say one species should eat another, then there are no laws that say that a more advanced form of life can't eat us, so you shouldn't be against that either.
    I would be against it, because they would be trying to eat me. I would not say that according to the laws of the universe they shouldn't be allowed to eat me, I would say that according to me and the rest of mankind they would not be allowed to eat me.

No animal wants to become another animals food, what determines your rank on the food chain is how good you are at preventing other animals from eating you.

Appealing to natural laws to determine what humans should do wont work at all, that's why we have moral laws.
    And my moral laws are those that best benefits mankind to work as a society.
    I do not have the same view of animals as our equals, and until they gain the same form of sentience as humans I never will.

Of course morals are man-made, and if you define morals like that doesn't mean that another person should do it in the same way you do. Actually, they probably won't define morals in the same way you do, but you have to accept and respect them as long as they do not interfere with your moral interpretation of the world.
    If they tell me I should not eat meat because it's immoral to eat other animals, then clearly they are interfering with my moral interpretation of the world.

I do not protest against a vegetarian or a vegan who enjoys their food and does not complain that I don't share their eating habits. You eat what you like, and I'll eat what I like. However the ones who try to impose their view of eating animals as immoral, should be aware that their view of immoral is not the same as mine.

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,000 Posts
    I don't really give a shit what other people eat as long as they let me eat what I want I let them eat what they want, I love bacon too much.

14. Post #374
    November 2007
    1,396 Posts
    Vegetarians who claim that they're doing it for the "animal rights" are stupid. Almost every single organism on the face of the planet must kill other living things to survive, and humans are not an exception to this. When they act like predators in other countries just don't exist, it makes my blood boil.

15. Post #375
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    humane manner? have you actually seen slaughterhouses?
    Slaughterhouses have higher standards today than the videos that PETA show from the worst factories of the previous century.

16. Post #376
    July 2007
    336 Posts
    I don't see the issue with forcing people not to eat what you don't want them to eat, we already do that with cannibalism. I would never force someone not to eat meat because i think it is a logical conclusion you have to come to on your own. You don't eat other humans because you know your suffering A, is equal to their suffering B. So if A == B you should understand that it is wrong, now we can stretch this further to something of another species, let's say dogs and cats(AMERICA). Now a lot of us have had a relationship with a dog or a cat in the past, we discovered that their suffering is most likely equal to our own therefore it is wrong to cause them suffering or 'farm' them. Now a vegetarian simply stretches this further to all sentient creatures on the planet, because they most likely all have the same capacity to suffer as us, therefore it is wrong to cause them suffering which is equal to your own, because if you have ever suffered, you know it SUCKS ASS.

17. Post #377
    February 2010
    1,217 Posts
    I don't see the issue with forcing people not to eat what you don't want them to eat, we already do that with cannibalism. I would never force someone not to eat meat because i think it is a logical conclusion you have to come to on your own. You don't eat other humans because you know your suffering A, is equal to their suffering B. So if A == B you should understand that it is wrong, now we can stretch this further to something of another species, let's say dogs and cats(AMERICA). Now a lot of us have had a relationship with a dog or a cat in the past, we discovered that their suffering is most likely equal to our own therefore it is wrong to cause them suffering or 'farm' them. Now a vegetarian simply stretches this further to all sentient creatures on the planet, because they most likely all have the same capacity to suffer as us, therefore it is wrong to cause them suffering which is equal to your own, because if you have ever suffered, you know it SUCKS ASS.
    I wouldn't have people forced to change their diet. You could only achieve this by a next generation of people, to rid of an addiction by not encouraging it in the first place. The idea that you would want to bring another sentient being into this world to be exposed to this suffering 'thing', that is another problem.

18. Post #378
    July 2007
    336 Posts
    I wouldn't have people forced to change their diet. You could only achieve this by a next generation of people, to rid of an addiction by not encouraging it in the first place. The idea that you would want to bring another sentient being into this world to be exposed to this suffering 'thing', that is another problem.
    You are completely right. And I am strongly against pro-natalism.

19. Post #379
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,287 Posts
    Even so, what would we do with all the animals if we stopped using them for food?

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,000 Posts
    Even so, what would we do with all the animals if we stopped using them for food?
    Kill them off of course

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,046 Posts
    Does it even matter? Why is it so vitally important that we use animals?

22. Post #382
    December 2011
    1,674 Posts
    Because they taste good. As long as vegetarians or vegans don't try to force other people to not eat meat, I am ok with them.

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,287 Posts
    It matters, because is the alternatives to not raising animals for food anymore reasonable and humane than what we're doing now?
    What do you imagine we would do with the animals if we did not raise them to become food, and how would we manage it?

24. Post #384
    July 2007
    336 Posts
    It matters, because is the alternatives to not raising animals for food anymore reasonable and humane than what we're doing now?
    What do you imagine we would do with the animals if we did not raise them to become food, and how would we manage it?
    I'm not sure what you mean, but if you are talking about over population of species then sterilization is a option.

Here is a paper on sterilization deer as a option and how one would go about it.
    http://www.birdandhike.com/jlboone/papers/Deer/deer.htm

25. Post #385
    April 2010
    2,601 Posts
    I'm okay with it, however it really grinds my gears whenever someone claims to be a vegetarian but still eats fish. How the fuck is a fish not an animal, and how the fuck is fishmeat not meat.

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,135 Posts
    There are only 2 valid reasons I accept for vegan/vegetarianism

Allergies and simply not liking the taste

If people are worried about pain to animals then they should buy free range eggs, high welfare meats etc

27. Post #387
    February 2010
    1,242 Posts
    I'm not going to tell you what to eat, that is neither something I want to do nor something I am allowed to do.

However, I can (and do) not care for the idea of vegetarianism. You're missing out on a lot of good food by completely cutting out meat, and it's not as easy or uninvolved to remain healthy, and you're going to have problems when you're in a situation where you don't have many choices of what you can eat.

28. Post #388
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,287 Posts
    I'm not sure what you mean, but if you are talking about over population of species then sterilization is a option.

Here is a paper on sterilization deer as a option and how one would go about it.
    http://www.birdandhike.com/jlboone/papers/Deer/deer.htm
    I mean raising, breeding, feeding, keeping them safe from wildlife, a shelter against survival, and someone who will allow them to roam free on their land.
    Who would willingly be the provider of this, and how will they afford it if they can not profit from it?

29. Post #389
    December 2008
    802 Posts
    I'm not going to tell you what to eat, that is neither something I want to do nor something I am allowed to do.
    That makes it sound as if you're in some sort of secretive cannibal society,
    If so what does human taste like?

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,689 Posts
    vegetarians are a buncha pussies

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,287 Posts
    That makes it sound as if you're in some sort of secretive cannibal society,
    If so what does human taste like?
    I think, that according to Jeffrey Dahmer, it tastes a bit like veal.

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    I'm a vegetarian because I don't like the taste. I eat fish because I enjoy the taste.

33. Post #393
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    I'm a vegetarian because I don't like the taste. I eat fish because I enjoy the taste.
    ... then you aren't a vegetarian

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    'xactly.

Edited:

I eat meat on occasion as well.

I guess my point was I just don't like what is in my opinion the gritty taste of meat.

35. Post #395
    February 2010
    1,217 Posts
    There are only 2 valid reasons I accept for vegan/vegetarianism

Allergies and simply not liking the taste

If people are worried about pain to animals then they should buy free range eggs, high welfare meats etc
    ... then you aren't a vegetarian
    I dont think critizing the extent of our vegetarianism is very productive and an extremist one. I don't think we have to be that strict because people simply can't expect of you or freestate society to be. The idea is to move the masses in a positive direction not to worry about whether one vegetarian is being strict enough or perfect enough. Critisims can be accepted sure, but whatever. Dont eat things that wiggle. If you can avoid it, dont do it. Isn't supporting the practices of vegetarianism enough to be a supporter of vegetarianism?

I mean raising, breeding, feeding, keeping them safe from wildlife, a shelter against survival, and someone who will allow them to roam free on their land.
    Who would willingly be the provider of this, and how will they afford it if they can not profit from it?
    We don't. We don't have the obligation to feed them, keep them safe or shelter any of them. Stop breeding them and consume the rest of the livestock. Until we can address our own society, perfect and figure out how to live life in a productive, controlled fashion, without them being integrated as part of our own collapsing welfare, perhaps then we could focus on another animals welfare but not before our own.

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    That being said I would place human life over animal life to a VERY extreme level.

One human is worth more than a thousand animals, for example.

Edited:

That and a lot of people are offended by people in other countries eating dog; which I really don't get at all. They both are animals and eating x animal but not y animal and being offended by eating y animal is a strange double standard.

I know I don't eat most meat but fish... but I don't care if you eat most meat.

37. Post #397
    February 2010
    1,217 Posts
    That being said I would place human life over animal life to a VERY extreme level.
    Well ok, but i don't know how you define worth in such a position. We could make up some fabricated values biased towards ourselves but we truly don't know if life has any worth at all. We could be losing in the process by just repeating something that has gone unchanged for 4 billion years.

38. Post #398
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    I dont think critizing the extent of our vegetarianism is very productive and an extremist one. I don't think we have to be that strict because people simply can't expect of you or freestate society to be. The idea is to move the masses in a positive direction not to worry about whether one vegetarian is being strict enough or perfect enough. Critisims can be accepted sure, but whatever. Dont eat things that wiggle. If you can avoid it, dont do it. Isn't supporting the practices of vegetarianism enough to be a supporter of vegetarianism?
    If you say you're a vegetarian and proceed to eat fish, you're not a vegetarian is all. You're a Pescetarian. People may not know what that is, so it's fine to say you're vegetarian in some circumstances. I just think that creates misinformation, someone might actually think vegetarians eat fish. There's already a lot of misunderstandings about vegetarians and vegans and such. My uncle once said, "I couldn't go vegan, but I could go vegetarian. Vegetarians can still eat chicken, right?"

Edited:

I didn't mean to sound extreme or anything, you just said one thing and then disproved it in the next sentence and it bothered me a bit.

39. Post #399
    July 2007
    336 Posts
    Because they taste good. As long as vegetarians or vegans don't try to force other people to not eat meat, I am ok with them.
    People need to understand how trivial a intrinsic sensation such as taste is, what a animal would have to go through in order for you to experience a simple, short lived sensation is obviously not worth it. Do not eat for taste, eat for relief of hunger, it is less of a risk.

40. Post #400
    February 2010
    1,217 Posts
    If you say you're a vegetarian and proceed to eat fish, you're not a vegetarian is all. You're a Pescetarian. People may not know what that is, so it's fine to say you're vegetarian in some circumstances. I just think that creates misinformation, someone might actually think vegetarians eat fish. There's already a lot of misunderstandings about vegetarians and vegans and such. My uncle once said, "I couldn't go vegan, but I could go vegetarian. Vegetarians can still eat chicken, right?"

Edited:

I didn't mean to sound extreme or anything, you just said one thing and then disproved it in the next sentence and it bothered me a bit.
    You a right but upon all these varients, it gets stupid and it doesn't matter anyway. You can't define a vegetarian and others without regarding it's principles because you get bullshitters who keep saying 'You're swallowing microbes right now!', 'He has eaten meat before he can't be a true vegetarian/ pescetarian!' etc. Even so, if we stuck to fish and veg only, that can only be one more step in the right direction.