1. Post #41
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Just break the +5v wire to the LED and put the resistor in series with the LED. Alternately, you could source a +5v LED to replace the 3v LED.

2. Post #42

May 2012
    3 Posts
    Just break the +5v wire to the LED and put the resistor in series with the LED. Alternately, you could source a +5v LED to replace the 3v LED.
    Thanks for the quick response bohb

3. Post #43
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Yes, do it just like bohb said... or you could also rewire the original green LED indicator on the front panel PCB.

I could post later several pinouts of the LED units, front panel, XPS 730 MCB connections, etc... if it helps.

4. Post #44

May 2012
    3 Posts
    Yes, do it just like bohb said... or you could also rewire the original green LED indicator on the front panel PCB.

I could post later several pinouts of the LED units, front panel, XPS 730 MCB connections, etc... if it helps.
    If you don't mind posting the pinouts, it would be most helpful. Once again, thanks for the wonderful post.

5. Post #45
    VAG Lover
    June 2010
    2,850 Posts
    This is a wet dream... Good job Romka on the grill! the thing looks like it was done at the factory!
    This would be something I could not do. I would lose motivation really quick on this.

Great job on the case looking forward to seeing it on ebay tehehehe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Last update...

Assembling

I did a bit of shopping...

PSU

Now moving reusable parts from my XPS 730.

my baby... <3

The H2C water cooling system will also fit in my modded XPS 720 case.

progress...

new SSD

ready for first tests

Some extra goodie, the XPS 730 card reader with a built in bluetooth module.

Fully assembled and ready to go.

Rear upper LEDs also now functional.

And last but not least... the HDD LED indicator has been fixed. :)

Romka's XPS 720 BTX to ATX mod

12.30.2011 06.10.2012
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

7. Post #47

June 2012
    1 Posts

Hi Romka, very nice looking mod with a lot of attention for details .
    I am also modding a XPS 700 so it fits the ATX spec. I need to connect the frontpanel\leds\power button if you could post the pinouts of the front panel etc... it will help. I really like the led color you used to connect led strips.

8. Post #48

June 2012
    2 Posts
    Beautiful job - great attention to detail. I have a 700 that was upgraded to a 720 by Dell some time ago (but really now needs some major updating or replacing), and I've been wondering whether to attempt a mod. I guess an easier option would be to get a 730x, although trying to find one without the stupid X-window is proving difficult. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) you revealed that you had a 730 ... so what was your main reason for going through the pain of upgrading the 720?!

2) given that you've got both cases, can you confirm whether the 720 side panel fits the 730 case (and vice-versa)?

and

3) why did you decide against using the Lian Li pc60 tray that other modders are suggesting for this conversion?

Much appreciated!

c22

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Damn that's nice. And pretty damn solid hardware you've got there. Why did you go with the GTX 590, though?

10. Post #50
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Beautiful job - great attention to detail. I have a 700 that was upgraded to a 720 by Dell some time ago (but really now needs some major updating or replacing), and I've been wondering whether to attempt a mod. I guess an easier option would be to get a 730x, although trying to find one without the stupid X-window is proving difficult.
    Yea, it's sheer impossible. Especially when you would want a silvern one. Oh and thanks.

1) you revealed that you had a 730 ... so what was your main reason for going through the pain of upgrading the 720?!
    Look at the front of that motherfucker. It's plain gorgeousness... in my opinion at least. I like the look of the XPS 700/710/720 way more than the XPS 730/730x.

2) given that you've got both cases, can you confirm whether the 720 side panel fits the 730 case (and vice-versa)?
    Technically the locking mechanism is the same. Both the rails on the door as also the hatches on the case side don't differ from an XPS 730.
    Sometimes the doors of the 700/710/720 have some extra metal block pieces attached to the door from the inner side. They ensure the secure hold of the gigantic stock cooler and some other stuff.
    You can get them off easily... by just pulling them off with all the power in your arms you have. Then just remove the silicon glue leftovers and you're good to go.

3) why did you decide against using the Lian Li pc60 tray that other modders are suggesting for this conversion?
    I don't think this is a good idea. You don't really have much space to mess around with in that gigantic case if you want to keep some things "original"
    The only 2 people I've seen making a successfull good looking XPS 720 ATX mod, have both modded the stock XPS 720 motherboard tray.
    And works! As long as you know what you're doing that is.

Damn that's nice. And pretty damn solid hardware you've got there. Why did you go with the GTX 590, though?
    Compared to the HD6990, the GTX 590 wins in games performance on high resolutions (mine: 2560x1600) eventhough the HD6990 is more powerfull and has more VRAM.

But I must say I won't go with another Nvidia GPU again if the quality remains as it is now. I've already bricked one of the 590's... it's artefacting now. :(

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    But the GTX 590 is a generation old and though prices may differ in Germany it's not worth it over a GTX 680 (and SLI will give much better performance). Are the new cards not available in Germany or what?

12. Post #52
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    But the GTX 590 is a generation old and though prices may differ in Germany it's not worth it over a GTX 680 (and SLI will give much better performance). Are the new cards not available in Germany or what?
    A one year old graphics card is not really old. And besides, the GTX 590 beats a GTX 680.

Also I pay like 300-400 for a GTX 590. The 680 instead would cost me 500 or more.

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    A one year old graphics card is not really old. And besides, the GTX 590 beats a GTX 680.

Also I pay like 300-400 for a GTX 590. The 680 instead would cost me 500 or more.
    Why is it so expensive compared to the GTX 590? That makes no sense. Normally 2-chip GPUs are shit expensive. Either way, it appears that the rule applies here in Denmark as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #54

June 2012
    2 Posts
    Thanks for the replies - and yeah, I agree that the front panel of the 720 looked much better (classier) than the 730. Actually, I'd wondered about transplanting that across to the 730 as an easier solution! Still, there's that damned X-window too although my Google searches seem to reveal plenty of takers for that sort of thing. So maybe I'll try the conversion after all, though I now need to fix my dodgy power supply... [http://www.aplusperfect.com/articles...n-power-supply for anyone with the same problem!!]

c22

15. Post #55

June 2012
    3 Posts

I think I love you!!! This has been holding me up for weeks on my xsp mod. is there any way you could give a step by step instruction for how to rewire the front panel. I'm fairly sure all i would need are the pinouts, but the quality of your work is so beyond mine i'd like to see exactly how you got it done.

16. Post #56
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    I think I love you!!! This has been holding me up for weeks on my xsp mod. is there any way you could give a step by step instruction for how to rewire the front panel. I'm fairly sure all i would need are the pinouts, but the quality of your work is so beyond mine i'd like to see exactly how you got it done.
    I'll make some pinouts of the original parts I used and post them here. When I got some time that is (plain boredom), perhaps this weekend, I dunno.

During 2011 I bought like 2x whole XPS 7xx PCs an XPS 730 case and my black XPS 720 case that I modded for ATX standards. I noticed a couple of things. Between the XPS 700/710/720 cases several parts differ. Like some brackets on the inner side of the door, mounting stuff for the PSU and especially the front panel and power button and some connectors on them.
    What I can provide the pinouts of are the frontpanel of the XPS720 (even not entirely) and the XPS 730 MCB.

17. Post #57

June 2012
    3 Posts
    i have a 710 that im ATXing. if i can get my hands on a 730 master control board,could i use it as a go between from my 710 front panel and my mobo?

18. Post #58
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    i have a 710 that im ATXing. if i can get my hands on a 730 master control board,could i use it as a go between from my 710 front panel and my mobo?
    What do you mean exactly?

The MCB controls the fans and LEDs... it's connected to the actual motherboard via USB internal connection and the chassis frontpanel PWR switch, HDD LED indicator, PWR LED indicator and the RESET switch ground wire.

To be able to access the MCB functions you'll need to have atleast one NVIDIA hardware part (graphicscard or chipset) in order to start the NVIDA control panel. From there on you can access the chassis LEDs and fans.

19. Post #59
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Okay guys... I haven't finished writing down all the pinouts yet, but here's a quick shot of the XPS 720 components:

XPS 720 PWR_PANEL:

1 PWR LED +
    2 PWR BUTTON +

3 PWR LED orange GND
    4 PWR LED green GND
    5 PWR LED + alternatively
    6 PWR BUTTON GND

XPS 720 FRONT_PANEL

1 -no idea-
    2 -no idea-
    3 -no idea-
    4 -no idea-
    5 -no idea-
    6 GND
    7 LED NUMBER 1 GND
    8 LED NUMBER 4 GND
    9 HDD LED GND
    10 LED NUMBER 2 GND
    11 LED NUMBER 3 GND
    12 PWR_PANEL 4
    13 -empty pin-
    14 PWR_PANEL 3
    15 -no idea-
    16 PWR_PANEL 1
    17 PWR_PANEL 2
    18 PWR_PANEL 6 (also generally GND)
    19 -no idea-
    20 LAN LED GND
    21 power for pins 7,8,9,10,11,20
    22 AUDIO_CABLE 5
    23 GND
    24 GND
    25 -no idea-
    26 -no idea-
    27 -no idea-
    28 -no idea-

XPS 720 rear LED

1 bridge to pin 6 (bscly not used)
    2 power
    3 red GND
    4 green GND
    5 blue GND

6 bridge to pin 1 (bscly not used)

XPS 720 front LEDs (upper and lower)

1 power
    2 red GND
    3 green GND
    4 blue GND

5 -no idea-

The bold marked numbers are the usable pins bscly.

20. Post #60

June 2012
    3 Posts
    What do you mean exactly?

The MCB controls the fans and LEDs... it's connected to the actual motherboard via USB internal connection and the chassis frontpanel PWR switch, HDD LED indicator, PWR LED indicator and the RESET switch ground wire.

To be able to access the MCB functions you'll need to have atleast one NVIDIA hardware part (graphicscard or chipset) in order to start the NVIDA control panel. From there on you can access the chassis LEDs and fans.
    All i was wondering was if the 730 mcb would plug right into the panels/fans/LEDs of the 710, or if i would still have to do a lot of rewiring. I don't have any 730 parts (yet) and can't find any good enough pics to tell if the same connections are used on the mcb as on the 710 mobo. I'm mostly interested in the front panel, usb ports and card reader, but would love to keep the LED and fan control as well. access to the nvidia controls aren't an issue as my GCards are nvidia. So im hoping that i can use the mcb as a adapter between the dell proprietary chassis connections and my new atx motherboard

Thank you for your patience

21. Post #61
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    All i was wondering was if the 730 mcb would plug right into the panels/fans/LEDs of the 710, or if i would still have to do a lot of rewiring. I don't have any 730 parts (yet) and can't find any good enough pics to tell if the same connections are used on the mcb as on the 710 mobo. I'm mostly interested in the front panel, usb ports and card reader, but would love to keep the LED and fan control as well. access to the nvidia controls aren't an issue as my GCards are nvidia. So im hoping that i can use the mcb as a adapter between the dell proprietary chassis connections and my new atx motherboard

Thank you for your patience
    Oh okay...

If you can get several wires that are connected to the MCB, that'd be more comfortable for you, because the XPS 730 uses 2 different connectors for the LEDs.
    Like the front upper LED connector changes from 5 to 6 pins. You would only need to change to a bigger plug.
    And the lower connector changes from 5 to 14 or something, because through this connector the XPS 730 MCB supplies the lower front left and lower front right side on the XPS 730, so there are at least 7 used wires.

I shall take my stuff together and digitalize my notes. All I did was figuring out the pinouts on the wire plug side, not on the MCB side... but that's just as good as the other.

22. Post #62

June 2012
    4 Posts
    I've been doing a bit of research on converting the 720 front panel cable to atx mobo because I'm at the stage where I need to wire up my power button, hdd light etc, and I'm trying to avoid buying a 730 MCB. I found a diagram I imagine would be useful for anybody thinking of doing the same thing:

This is of the 40 pin front panel cable.

I guess it's a simple matter of wiring everything up correctly and we can use the 720 front panel board without need of the 730 MCB?

Of course this pin layout is for a different model-- I couldn't find one for the xps 720. I guess I'll have to do some minor guesswork and come up with my own layout.

*EDIT* I just went ahead and got a 730 MCB with all its wires. LED configuration isn't possible any other way apparently.

23. Post #63
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Hey guys...

sorry for the massive delay, here some pinout info about the MCB:

24. Post #64

June 2012
    4 Posts
    Perfect! I'm now waiting for my molex pin extractor tool to come in the mail, then I can finally insert the MCB into my case and close everything up. Here's my project so far.

The job I did is haphazard compared to the precise and skillful handiwork of Romka, and reflects the state of my place (and my life) quite well.

I really should have taken pictures of my entire process. As you can see I used the common method of inserting a Lian Li ATX panel and tray. Unfortunately I had no access to welding or friends who weld. :(

I'm running two 240gb Corsair Force GTs in RAID0, and have a 1tb Caviar Black as a data drive. Cables are messy and poorly organized. :P

A better shot of the Lian Li panel. I'm still working on putting the original plastic grating back on. I was initially intending to spray paint the back matte black, but shops were just closing up and I'm in the country for the summer... so I just said screw it and kept working. That's how I roll. :V

What I feel is different from any other XPS 700 series project out there is I'm essentially replacing the LEDs and power switch with their 730 counterparts. To use the HDD light cover on the 720 case, I'm stringing a fiber optic cable from the HDD light on the 730 power board. As you can see, I made a little square of rubber which allowed me to install the 730 power board to the 720 case. Also in this picture: the area on the Lian Li tray where I put rivets through, and the original fan cage, which will be working with my radiator and another fan once the MCB is in working order.

This is the splitter I will eventually modify for the MCB, once my pin extractor arrives. Conveniently uses the standard color code.

I'll eventually get to posting my finished project. Big thanks to Romka for his efforts, especially concerning the wiring.

25. Post #65
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Gee, you kinda killed the case! Organize the cables for the love of god!

Plz

26. Post #66

June 2012
    4 Posts
    It's actually even worse now, since I've installed the MCB along with the power splitter. It's gotten to the point where I will have to take everything apart just to organize stuff.

27. Post #67

July 2012
    4 Posts
    Thanks very much for all this info. I destroyed the mobo on my XPS 720 H2C a few weeks back (I won't explain how just say that I was being an idiot!). I ordered a new ATX mobo, memory, CPU & SSD and figured I'd work out how I was gonna put it together when it arrived. These posts are really helping. THANKS!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Thanks very much for all this info. I destroyed the mobo on my XPS 720 H2C a few weeks back (I won't explain how just say that I was being an idiot!). I ordered a new ATX mobo, memory, CPU & SSD and figured I'd work out how I was gonna put it together when it arrived. These posts are really helping. THANKS!
    You're welcome.

Bear in mind that this isn't an easy task to convert this case for ATX standards. You will need the proper tools for this job... So think everything through first.

29. Post #69

June 2012
    4 Posts
    You're welcome.

Bear in mind that this isn't an easy task to convert this case for ATX standards. You will need the proper tools for this job... So think everything through first.
    Agreed. Take my posts as a precautionary example. Using the Lian Li tray means several things: the only way to really fasten the tray to the rest of the case effectively is if you rivet it down, which means organizing your cables will be difficult. The Lian Li tray will not be large enough to mount the 730 MCB. The rails and the tray will impede you from removing the screws from the inner part of the front panel which also means tough times with cable organization, and for me it meant a much more difficult time replacing the original top front led board with the 730 part. I personally think the Lian Li ATX panel looks cool but without the grating of the original back panel, your system gets less airflow. Another thing to note is that Romka used a modular power supply which is VASTLY easier to organize. If you use a power supply like mine, you will not be able to remove the cables, and atx PSUs feed cables on the other side of the case, creating a real mess to work with.

If this would be your first time messing with wires and you don't have a test system you can afford to damage, I would recommend you did what I did, bite the bullet, and buy the 730 master control board, the 730 power board, 730 top LED, 730 LED control board and bottom left/right lenses, rear LED (the 710/720 rear led works but isn't nearly long enough to reach the back.), internal usb cable that attaches to the master control board, I/O header cable that attaches to the master control board, and a 24 pin power splitter. Also make sure you have something like a molex mini fit pin extractor tool at your disposal for the rewiring of the splitter. Getting the HDD light to work can be a simple matter of ripping out an LED from another case's front panel and stringing it inside the hole where the reflective plastic sits-- it's a snug fit for your typical case LED, and works like a charm. The power button and LED can be rewired by making a male to female IO header extension.

30. Post #70

July 2012
    4 Posts
    I've done the conversion. I wasn't looking to do such a pretty job as you folks, I just wanted it to work, since I was doing this out of necessity.
    I bought an asus sabertooth z77 mobo, i7 3770k CPU, 32G RAM, a samsung SSD and a new PSU. I know I could have rewired the PSU but the Dell original always ran really hot and it's 5 years old so I figured to get a higher efficiency model.
    Everything else is from the original 720 H2C, including the mobo tray, which I just ripped off the old posts and glued them into place to match the ATX. The back panel I took apart with a hacksaw and used a mixture of rivets and epoxy to slap it back together. Like I said, I'm not looking for beauty, nobody's going to see the back of the case except for me. Start to finish - took a couple of weeks.

I've kept the pair of 8800GTX that came with it, plus all my HDs. At some point when I have some spare cash I'll upgrade those video cards but they're good enough for Max Payne 3 so I can wait a while.

I was able to repurpose the DELL fans - just rewired to the standard 4 pin pinout. The mobo has a nice fan control ("thermal radar") and the fans are PWM so I've been able to throttle them down (including stop) to keep noise down.

I'm using stock CPU fan until either I figure out how to set up the H2C watercooler, or perhaps buy an off the shelf watercooler. No overclocking until I do that.

I'm working my way through the control board for the front panel LEDs and switches. The pinouts Romka posted on 28.June are very helpful (thanks again). Where did you get that 730 MCB info? If I could find that for the 720 it would be really handy.

I'll post photos. Bear in mind I haven't done any cable management yet!

John

Edited:

pics.

Back panel. I had a couple of really silent Akasa fans so added them in as assist cooling.

Internal. I moved the fan bay so the video cards would slot in for stability. HD fan I've used a jell sticky pad to retain against the video card, since that's a hot spot. That 8pin ATX connector is a problem as the cable from the PSU is a bit short to route neatly.

31. Post #71
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    I see cable management is quite some art with this case. :P

32. Post #72

July 2012
    4 Posts
    Yeah. I see you had that 8 pin ATX cable stretching across the case just like I do - what other options are there? I'm thinking about extending the cable and running it more neatly. When I finish up I'll put heatshrink tubing over a few other cables (e.g. the fan double twisted pairs).

How hot do your GTX590s run?

33. Post #73
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Yeah. I see you had that 8 pin ATX cable stretching across the case just like I do - what other options are there? I'm thinking about extending the cable and running it more neatly. When I finish up I'll put heatshrink tubing over a few other cables (e.g. the fan double twisted pairs).
    Yea, you can extend it and let it run behind the motherboard tray... eventhough you need to cut some extra hole on the lower edge so that the cable can get through.

How hot do your GTX590s run?
    87C max

34. Post #74

August 2012
    1 Posts
    This is probably the best BTX to ATX mod i've seen so far. I got myself a XPS 720 case but i had a BTX motherboard so i won't be converting mine, i still need to change the front panel since i can't use the dell connectors, i tried putting 3.5v on one of the leds but it burned out :p, I'll probably just replace them all with normal 5v leds. What pins should i connect from the 5 pin fans to the normal 3 pin fan connectors?

35. Post #75
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    What pins should i connect from the 5 pin fans to the normal 3 pin fan connectors?
    Good question. I once saw somewhere on facebook a DELL XPS 730 group. There's a guy who has posted a pic of the adapters he made for the original DELL XPS 730 fans. He splitted the cable and put the normal 4pin connectors we know from the motherboards in between. With this he could connect different fans to the master control board or connect the original DELL fans directly to the motherboard.
    So bscly the 5 pin DELL fan connectors that are fed by only 4 wires are nothing other than just the usual 4 pin fan connectors like CPU_FAN.

36. Post #76

July 2012
    4 Posts
    I got this from somewhere else and it worked:

A 3 pin connector just has GND, V+ and RPM signal from the fan, so just use those.
    Standard 4 pin connectors include PWM control from mobo>fan.
    I used a small flat blade screwdriver to pop out the pins, re-pinned them, cut one spline off the 5-pin dell connector and chopped off the extra pin and plugged it in. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm more interested in function than form!

JT

Edited:

The LEDs, I connected 5V using the pinouts that Romka provided earlier. This one:

"Quote Romka:
    XPS 720 front LEDs (upper and lower)

1 power
    2 red GND
    3 green GND
    4 blue GND
    5 -no idea-

"

They have resistors on the PCB. @5v they are a reasonable brightness, 12V too bright for my taste but no burnout.

Mine was a 720 H2C, the 730 might be different.

JT

lots of edits: lots of Glenmorangie :-)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    November 2008
    1,709 Posts
    nice work, i have a 4ish series, i'd love to take the LED and install them on my other pc, wounder if its possible...

38. Post #78

October 2012
    2 Posts
    My XPS 720 Green Machine still a work in progress bunch of small things from the hand painted line art on the case, to the stencils, to finish painting the gpu liquid system shroud, to finishing the wiring for the leds, spend the time to put the dell audio front panel on a new jack for atx, cable management, a coupe more fans, installing the leds inside the case. Figured out the mini pcb for the power button, and have it plugged directly into the mobo, just have to hook up the led wires for it that I already figured out a few nights ago.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,636 Posts
    That's really cool, interesting color scheme you have there

40. Post #80
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Jesus Christ!

Hmm, now that you took a 10 PCI slots rear panel for the case, you could've gone for a HPTX standard motherboard tray, instead of just ATX or eATX. I wonder if it's even possible with such a case.