1. Post #241
    January 2009
    1,578 Posts
    The major problem with religion is that it profoundly enforces an agenda that is harmful specifically to those that are not considered "normal" by society at both the given time that the religion is formed and at the present moment should that religion still be practiced.

We hear of three major things being told of in religious texts:

1) Divine beings,

2) How we came about, and,

3) Morality.

Number one simply proposes that there is a master at work, controlling and forming our world as well as ourselves. This proposition was accepted because for the longest time in the history of human civilization, we had always had some sort of monarch or alpha-male watching over us. It was what we were used to, and therefore it made sense.

Number two is simply an explanation for the creation of the universe. Going hand-in-hand with the ruling monarchy point I made earlier, since kings built cities and nations, (yes, technically their underlings did, but these people pretty much never received credit when it was due) the idea of something having always been (other than a god) had been a foreign idea and therefore creationism was an essential philosophical viewpoint at the time.

Number three is a set of rules imposed on the religion's followers that are used to distinguish "right" from "wrong" in society. Many times, morality is seen as intrinsically good, because we only view morality as a principle of good things to do instead of a distinguishing system of both good and bad. Morality establishes social norms which, in conjunction with the ruling elite point I made earlier, work to the advantage of religious demagogues and established (or very nearly established) governments and align with the viewpoints of said demagogues/officials.

The essential conclusion to then be made (in my opinion) is that religion has in the past simply been a system scripted to keep people in check. We see this most obviously in the Hindi caste system, where people are supposedly born into poverty or riches due to the actions of a past life. We see this slightly less so in extremist Islamic culture where non-Muslims are seen as Infidels and those that don't conform to the poorly-aligned and obviously biased viewpoint of religious authors are doomed to be persecuted if not simply murdered. And less obviously we see it in the Christian religion, where a social norm of Christian heterosexual male (CHM for short, I guess) dominance is presented via not only implied glorification of the CHM, but also explicity calls for persecution and inferior treatment of "lesser" individuals.

So why, then, is this being enforced?

Power.

Greed.

Manipulation.

Obviously, religions have gone through several changes that have made them more tolerance oriented and love-slanted. But until we destroy this facade of "morality" in these systems, we end up doomed to drift to and from different morally-acceptable societal norms, and these norms will most definitely be exploited by those willing to do so for their own personal pleasure.

One could even go so far as to say that the theist-oriented concept of creation was specifically included in this code of morality in order to conform people to the idea of a monarchistic ruler as well as an all-knowing, superior enforcing body of this moral code.

Think about it, if someone's standing over you with a gun pointed to your head telling you to follow a set of rules, you're obviously exponentially more likely to follow them. What if the gun doesn't have bullets? Doesn't matter, there could be a bullet in that chamber and most people are (reasonably so) not willing to take that chance.

Then you get into the idea of spreading religion, where religious figures request that you spread your message so that you save other people from this person with a firearm trained at the head of every individual. And so when someone tries to stand up and challenge the person on whether or not they're a real threat, everyone screams for them to sit down. Sometimes, people are even taught that allowing someone to be killed will mean their death as well. In which case you then have people violently and oppressively forcing skeptics to sit down.

Are you seeing what I'm getting at here? This system of a god, of a religion, of a moral code, it has always been in some way shape or form, even if in very small amounts, inhabited by a group of people who want to bend a philosophy of how we were made into a system of control that tells us how to think and how to live. A system that develops a social hierarchy and then conforms us to it in the same package.

So even if a religion was created with the best of intentions, it will inevitably be manipulated into a method of gaining power over people.

Just my two-cents. Who knows, I might be a crazy idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #242
    January 2011
    2,004 Posts
    Honestly, even if religion was never to exist for some reason, the world wouldn't be any better off when you think about it.

Religion is usually just used as a front to an entirely different motive like greed or lust anyways. If people didn't have religion it would just be something else.
    Exactly this and nothing else. Say anything else and you're ignoring the facts that people do good and bad regardless of what religion says.

Edited:

So basically it's politics.

More specifically, the premise of a religion is nothing bad at all. It's when you get dickheads in control of it...

Again, politics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #243
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,224 Posts
    So does nobody else think of religion as brainwashing? I really hate religion being taught to children. It's fine if you make the choice yourself at an age where you have the intelligence and critical thinking to make your own choices, but teaching a child about religion is simply taking advantage of their gullibility. I don't think religion is a free choice when you're raised with it, I think it's something that should not be available until you're old enough to make the choice to be religious yourself. Seeing children in churches and religious gatherings makes me sick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

4. Post #244
    January 2011
    2,004 Posts
    So does nobody else think of religion as brainwashing? I really hate religion being taught to children. It's fine if you make the choice yourself at an age where you have the intelligence and critical thinking to make your own choices, but teaching a child about religion is simply taking advantage of their gullibility. I don't think religion is a free choice when you're raised with it, I think it's something that should not be available until you're old enough to make the choice to be religious yourself. Seeing children in churches and religious gatherings makes me sick.
    Religion isn't brainwashing; religious brainwashing is brainwashing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

5. Post #245
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    Read: Indoctrination.

It's pretty sick to see it go on. I'd watch my cousins go through it and be like, 'nope'.

Edited:

Hey buddy, that's not secularization. Secularization implies freedom to worship as you please.
    Except it doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularization

Secularization (or secularisation) is the transformation of a society from close identification with religious values and institutions toward non-religious (or "irreligious") values and secular institutions. Secularization thesis refers to the belief that as societies "progress", particularly through modernization and rationalization, religion loses its authority in all aspects of social life and governance.
    Web definitions

The activity of changing something (art or education or society or morality etc.) so it is no longer under the control or influence of religion

A process in which religious consciousness, activities, and institutions lose social significance

The declining influence of religion in society.
    Thanks for playing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

6. Post #246
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Well fuck me. I thought secularization only applied to government.

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,209 Posts
    Are we too hard on Religion?

No, not really.

8. Post #248
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,224 Posts
    Religion isn't brainwashing; religious brainwashing is brainwashing.
    Well tell me how many religious people are truly religious by choice. How many of them went from not having a religion, to choosing to have a religion. Versus those who are raised to be religious, who are told it is the truth, and that are taught not to doubt.

Unlike people who say that "Science and religon are not incompatible", I disagree. Religion teaches us to not doubt and to have belief, science teaches us to always doubt what we can't prove. It is because of this that science allows us to progress, because truth comes from questioning the uncertain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events

9. Post #249
    Ask me about my .gif fetish
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    Well tell me how many religious people are truly religious by choice. How many of them went from not having a religion, to choosing to have a religion. Versus those who are raised to be religious, who are told it is the truth, and that are taught not to doubt.
    So because some people are indoctrinated, religion=brainwashing?
    Or do you think that every religious person became religious through indoctrination?

Unlike people who say that "Science and religon are not incompatible", I disagree. Religion teaches us to not doubt and to have belief, science teaches us to always doubt what we can't prove. It is because of this that science allows us to progress, because truth comes from questioning the uncertain.
    I personally don't see why having unprovable views on what exists beyond the physical universe, should affect my ability to look at the physical universe scientifically.
    I'm capable of irrational thought, but does that mean I'm incapable of rational thought?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #250
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    I personally don't see why having unprovable views on what exists beyond the physical universe, should affect my ability to look at the physical universe scientifically.
    I'm capable of irrational thought, but does that mean I'm incapable of rational thought?
    So you have no way of knowing what exists outside of the universe (if there is a 'domain' outside of the universe). What sense does it make to get down on your knees begging God for his mercy, as if you are so utterly convinced that he is real?

11. Post #251
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    So you have no way of knowing what exists outside of the universe (if there is a 'domain' outside of the universe). What sense does it make to get down on your knees begging God for his mercy, as if you are so utterly convinced that he is real?
    What if I am utterly convinced he's real?

12. Post #252
    March 2009
    1,775 Posts
    Then you're delusional.

13. Post #253
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    How are you so convinced?

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,224 Posts
    So because some people are indoctrinated, religion=brainwashing
    Yes. It's teaching a child about something that can not be proved true, and telling them that they should not be doubtful of what they believe in. They are naturally more inclined to believe you, because they trust you as an adult, and have not developed critical thinking to make their own decisions. Taking advantage of a child's gullible nature in that way, is wrong in the same way as a pedophile raising their child to be comfortable with sexual actions.

Or do you think that every religious person became religious through indoctrination?
    I do not, and the ones who became religious by choice at an age where they had developed enough to make the decision entirely by their own will without the influence of their upbringing are the only religious people I will ever respect.

If no organized religion existed, religion by all means would never be an issue for anyone and it would not matter in the least what anyone believed. However religions like Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and the likes all have one very essential thing in common, they all dictate the way you should think and live your life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #255
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    How are you so convinced?
    Sorry I meant to put quotes round the "utterly convinced".
    I assumed that "down on your knees begging for mercy" was an overly dramatic reference to prayer, so I took "utterly convinced" as "believe he exists and hears prayers".
    If you were being literal, I've never actually got down on my knees and begged for mercy, I tend to pray sitting or standing.
    I think that "knowing" and "believing" can be separate things.

Then you're delusional.
    Thanks sweety. I'll print that out and put it with the rest.

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    So because some people are indoctrinated, religion=brainwashing?
    Pretty much, yes. Most people who are religious are religious because of their parents. If they had been born in India they would be a Hindu, Buddhist if they were in China, or they'd believe in Zeus if they were from Ancient Greece. But since they're born in the US they believe in Jesus.

I don't think most people choose Christianity based on its merits, but because they've had it shoved down their throat since they were a child. And children are known to be easily manipulated.

Edited:

I mean how often do you see a kid who becomes Hindu in the US who has Christian parents.
    Isn't it kind of odd that so many people take on the religion of their parents?

Fortunately, these days people can choose atheism even though their parents still try pushing Christianity onto them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

17. Post #257
    Wet Birds
    September 2005
    8,040 Posts
    Nice way to assume there is something beyond the physical.

Edited:

Tell me, is there a sphere of Ether beyond space that souls fly into??

18. Post #258
    DANCE YOU FOOLS
    November 2007
    1,685 Posts

No, not really.
    You're going to have to explain to me how the Nazis (who basically replaced the Bible with Mein Kampf) and their atrocities and them starting WWII in Europe was majorly connected to religion.

19. Post #259
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    You're going to have to explain to me how the Nazis (who basically replaced the Bible with Mein Kampf) and their atrocities and them starting WWII in Europe was majorly connected to religion.
    I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord's work.

- Adolf Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936
    Here's some more

http://atheism.about.com/od/adolfhit...erFaithGod.htm

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,581 Posts
    Well the problem with cases like this is people using religion as a means to justify their actions, not religion itself. If religion didn't exist, then the excuse would just be replaced with another moral code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #261
    October 2010
    12,502 Posts
    Religion is good in places where people have a hard time doing hard time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

22. Post #262
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    they traded one religion for another?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,130 Posts
    Alright, so first off; I don't like organized religion... Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, and any other organization that is followed by the masses today. I think it leaves too much room for manipulation and corruption to fester. I don't think they should have any place in today's world with the knowledge and understanding that we have today. It's even ironic how they preach against one aspect and live under it at the same time, yet no one judges merely because of the status of the institution.

With that said; Religion or Spiritual Belief, I wholeheartedly encourage. We shouldn't restrict it in the least. If someone wants to believe something, let them. Who are we to say what goes on in the head of another?

It's only when you start to do that, do I raise an issue.

24. Post #264
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    Pretty much, yes. Most people who are religious are religious because of their parents. If they had been born in India they would be a Hindu, Buddhist if they were in China, or they'd believe in Zeus if they were from Ancient Greece. But since they're born in the US they believe in Jesus.

I don't think most people choose Christianity based on its merits, but because they've had it shoved down their throat since they were a child. And children are known to be easily manipulated.

Edited:

I mean how often do you see a kid who becomes Hindu in the US who has Christian parents.
    Isn't it kind of odd that so many people take on the religion of their parents?

Fortunately, these days people can choose atheism even though their parents still try pushing Christianity onto them.
    Well to be fair Buddhism doesn't quite operate the same way as the others, but otherwise yes.

25. Post #265
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Well the problem with cases like this is people using religion as a means to justify their actions, not religion itself. If religion didn't exist, then the excuse would just be replaced with another moral code.
    Exactly. You could not have said it any better. All these people saying "wel uh.. religunz cauz warz and hatrid and stuf" really just need to keep their stupid opinions to themselves. I don't really even know if their "opinions" can be considered opinions because they're just that absurd. At least half of the atheists I've seen in this thread that claim "religions cause violence" don't realize that even if religion had not existed during WWII or other major (or even minor) acts of violence that there would still be wars and such. You people are acting like atheism is this almighty solution to bringing peace to planet Earth. Long story short, bad PEOPLE use religion to control others - not the religion itself.

Also, drop the whole thing with "hurr crischin preestz raep boyz" because that's just fucking stupid. It's a dumb cliche some teenage atheist made up in an attempt to make priests look like the "bad guys". I can guarantee you there are VERY few cases in which priests rape kids in today's world.

26. Post #266
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,564 Posts

No, not really.

1. The crusades weren't religiously motivated. They were really land grabs made by power hungry officials and religion was only used as a motivater to get people rallied up (i.e. a misuse of religion).

2. The Nazis weren't religiously motivated and they persecuted Catholics, Jews, anybody they could find that they didn't like.

3. The Witch Trials were instigated by more power hungry people in the Puritain colonies and such. The claims that there were witches was why religion got involved because that was a heresy.

4. Woman getting buried in the ground because she has a different belief. That typically doesn't happen in places where there's a seperation of Church and State. That happens when dicks get into power of countries and use the religion like a weapon with no tolerance.

5. Leviticus was written in a different time when the Jews were a fledgling society who had to grow. They didn't want their growth to be impeded by people fucking goats and whatnot, so the laws there were written.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

27. Post #267
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    1. The crusades weren't religiously motivated. They were really land grabs made by power hungry officials and religion was only used as a motivater to get people rallied up (i.e. a misuse of religion).

2. The Nazis weren't religiously motivated and they persecuted Catholics, Jews, anybody they could find that they didn't like.

3. The Witch Trials were instigated by more power hungry people in the Puritain colonies and such. The claims that there were witches was why religion got involved because that was a heresy.

4. Woman getting buried in the ground because she has a different belief. That typically doesn't happen in places where there's a seperation of Church and State. That happens when dicks get into power of countries and use the religion like a weapon with no tolerance.

5. Leviticus was written in a different time when the Jews were a fledgling society who had to grow. They didn't want their growth to be impeded by people fucking goats and whatnot, so the laws there were written.
    More source, less random negatives.

28. Post #268
    December 2008
    11,564 Posts
    Also, that Hitler quote posted by Noble was Hitler trying to win the hearts and minds of a fearful, Christian community. He was an atheist himself. His statement was redundant.

29. Post #269
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,719 Posts
    Misuse of religion is true, though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

30. Post #270
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    Also, that Hitler quote posted by Noble was Hitler trying to win the hearts and minds of a fearful, Christian community. He was an atheist himself. His statement was redundant.
    Source.

31. Post #271
    DANCE YOU FOOLS
    November 2007
    1,685 Posts
    Much of what Hitler's cronies did was fueled by bigotry and hatred based off of a warped ideology of racial superiority. The Holocaust was not religiously motivated. The ignition of WWII in Europe was not religiously motivated. Hitler and the Nazis did not rise to power by appealing to the religious.

32. Post #272
    December 2008
    11,564 Posts
    Source.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_H...eligious_views

Okay, fine. So I'm wrong on that point, but it makes the man a delusional psycopath misusing religion for his own misogynistic purposes.

I'll rebuff my atheist statement.

33. Post #273
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,719 Posts
    You can use Hitler as an example of misuse of religion, not as to why religion is bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

34. Post #274
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,914 Posts
    While I find people that force their religion down people's throats irritating, I also think people that force their atheism down people's throats are just as irritating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #275

April 2011
    11 Posts
    Religion doesn't like you to masturbate, and that's not good. Masturbation is a normal instinct; I've seen my dog do it, my brother do it, everyone does it. If Jesus or any other divine being sits there and watches me masturbate, I'm pretty sure that they're masturbating too. But religion shouldn't be hated, it should be the people that we hate. If one person who played Dungeons and Dragons was fat and annoying and lived off of a disability pension and spent all of his money at the game shop, then I wouldn't go about hating Dungeons and Dragons. I would just hate him. Just like there's plenty of Muslims who aren't extremists. Let people do what they want, rather it be masturbating in D&D or masturbating to it. The pilgrims did it, and so should we; that's what freedom is based on.

36. Post #276
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    Much of what Hitler's cronies did was fueled by bigotry and hatred based off of a warped ideology of racial superiority. The Holocaust was not religiously motivated. The ignition of WWII in Europe was not religiously motivated. Hitler and the Nazis did not rise to power by appealing to the religious.
    Wrong. Hitler used Christianity to appeal to the masses to rise to power. It got him a lot of votes.

37. Post #277
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    Wrong. Hitler used Christianity to appeal to the masses to rise to power. It got him a lot of votes.
    yeah it wasn't how he murdered everyone who opposed him or whatever

hitler rose to power gently by comforting the german people and spreading jesus's teachings of peace and goodwill

38. Post #278
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    hitler rose to power gently by comforting the german people and spreading jesus's teachings of peace and goodwill
    Aryan mysticism claimed that Christianity originated in Aryan religious tradition and that Jews had usurped the legend from Aryans.[53] Houston Stewart Chamberlain, an English proponent of racial theory, supported notions of Germanic supremacy and anti-Semitism in Germany.[55] Chamberlain's work, Foundations of the Nineteenth Century (1899) praised Germanic peoples for their creativity and idealism while asserting that the Germanic spirit was threatened by a "Jewish" spirit of selfishness and materialism.[55] Chamberlain used his thesis to promote monarchical conservatism while denouncing democracy, liberalism, and socialism.[54] The book became popular, especially in Germany.[54] Chamberlain stressed the need of a nation to maintain racial purity in order to prevent degeneration, and argued that racial intermingling with Jews should never be permitted.[54] In 1923, Chamberlain met Hitler, whom he admired as a leader of the rebirth of the free spirit.[56]
    Hitler's parents were Roman Catholics, but after leaving home he never attended Mass or received the sacraments.[300] He favoured aspects of Protestantism that suited his own views, and adopted some elements of the Catholic Church's hierarchical organisation, liturgy, and phraseology in his politics.[301][302] After his move to Germany, Hitler did not leave his church. Historian Richard Steigmann-Gall concludes that he "can be classified as Catholic",[303] but that "nominal church membership is a very unreliable gauge of actual piety in this context."[304]

In public, Hitler often praised Christian heritage and German Christian culture, and professed a belief in an "Aryan" Jesus Christ—a Jesus who fought against the Jews.[305] He spoke of his interpretation of Christianity as a central motivation for his antisemitism, stating that "As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice."[306][307] In private, Hitler was more critical of traditional Christianity, considering it a religion fit only for slaves; he admired the power of Rome but maintained a severe hostility towards its teaching.[308] Historian John S. Conway states that Hitler held a "fundamental antagonism" towards the Christian churches.[309]
    You can't murder the entire crowd of people you're trying to gain support from. He used religion as leverage, while wanting to change it after he was done.

39. Post #279
    April 2011
    1,418 Posts
    Not hard enough! I won't rest until the Pope's head is on my desk!

40. Post #280
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    Aryan mysticism claimed that Christianity originated in Aryan religious tradition and that Jews had usurped the legend from Aryans.[53] Houston Stewart Chamberlain, an English proponent of racial theory, supported notions of Germanic supremacy and anti-Semitism in Germany.[55] Chamberlain's work, Foundations of the Nineteenth Century (1899) praised Germanic peoples for their creativity and idealism while asserting that the Germanic spirit was threatened by a "Jewish" spirit of selfishness and materialism.[55] Chamberlain used his thesis to promote monarchical conservatism while denouncing democracy, liberalism, and socialism.[54] The book became popular, especially in Germany.[54] Chamberlain stressed the need of a nation to maintain racial purity in order to prevent degeneration, and argued that racial intermingling with Jews should never be permitted.[54] In 1923, Chamberlain met Hitler, whom he admired as a leader of the rebirth of the free spirit.
    1. the first sentence is the only religious statement and it has nothing to do with controlling or persuading the masses
    2. did you actually read this before you tried to use it to assert that religion was a driving factor in nazism or are you grabbing quotes left and right from wikipedia in a desperate bid to win this argument

Hitler's parents were Roman Catholics, but after leaving home he never attended Mass or received the sacraments.[300] He favoured aspects of Protestantism that suited his own views, and adopted some elements of the Catholic Church's hierarchical organisation, liturgy, and phraseology in his politics.[301][302] After his move to Germany, Hitler did not leave his church. Historian Richard Steigmann-Gall concludes that he "can be classified as Catholic",[303] but that "nominal church membership is a very unreliable gauge of actual piety in this context."[304]

In public, Hitler often praised Christian heritage and German Christian culture, and professed a belief in an "Aryan" Jesus Christ—a Jesus who fought against the Jews.[305] He spoke of his interpretation of Christianity as a central motivation for his antisemitism, stating that "As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice."[306][307] In private, Hitler was more critical of traditional Christianity, considering it a religion fit only for slaves; he admired the power of Rome but maintained a severe hostility towards its teaching.[308] Historian John S. Conway states that Hitler held a "fundamental antagonism" towards the Christian churches.
    hitler told people that jesus was racist while not believing in jesus at all, solid argument

either way, you're trying to argue that christianity itself is bad because hitler used it, which is like saying extended magazines are bad because jared loughner used them when he shot gabrielle giffords

is it the type of ammunition or the firing of the gun that does the damage?