1. Post #2881
    January 2012
    206 Posts
    i think the actor who played Col. Mitchell from SG is in episode 3 of the new doctor who season (season 7). It sounds like him.
    I was just gonna post about that, it IS him

Edited:

Remove:

- catdaemon_stargate
    - stargate
    - stargate_resources
    I still have thease (has models i use alot that cap doesnt) and i have no problems

Edited:

Ok so the only thing different is the model
    I thought the mk III was like a AA battery compared to a C or D battery

I personally Don't like RD3
    I hate how you have to hook everything up to a node in order to work and how devices have to be in RANGE of the node.
    also the resource pumps are confusing and impractical as ****

I personally think RD2 is less fancy but more realistic and easier to use
    RD2 breaks cap, but not sure if that was fixed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2882
    May 2010
    129 Posts
    I still have thease (has models i use alot that cap doesnt) and i have no problems
    Yea I'm not sure why but I like the other model for the ZMP, that comes to mind.
    Is there any way to make a depleted ZPM turn black?
    There were a few other things also but I can't remember right now.
    RD2 breaks cap, but not sure if that was fixed
    Well if it is broken I can't tell :S I just got done playing with the shield core and some energy stuff. Haven't really had any problems.
    I'm really surprised that the MCD (Molecular Construction Device) Requires no energy. Free ZPM's!!!!!

Only bug I have seen was that the gate overloaded explodes stargates in under 30 seconds for me....

If there was an option to use LS3 without the resource nodes. And if it had pumps that were like the ones in RD2 I would switch in a heartbeat.
    But it's just those few things that really ruin it for me.

Also, the over-the-top models for energy storage and fusion generators... I can live with it. at the very least I can use model manipulator.
    But there is just something about the RD2 models that I have a better "down to earth" connection to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #2883
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    Only bug I have seen was that the gate overloaded explodes stargates in under 30 seconds for me....
    i'v never had that bug. i haven't used the overloader in a while though. try it with rd3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #2884
    August 2011
    17 Posts
    I'm having that bug, too. I'm also still having the bug where the overloader sets everything on the map on fire, with some sort of rippling red texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #2885
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    hasn't been a new post in almost 24 hours :|

Cartman, how's the dhd crystal code going? Last time i checked (last test for the crystal model) there were no wire inputs or outputs. how would an e2 work?

Edited:

i still have that e2 error cartman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #2886
    May 2010
    129 Posts
    I'm having that bug, too. I'm also still having the bug where the overloader sets everything on the map on fire, with some sort of rippling red texture.
    Pretty sure were having the same bug everything gets set on fire for me also.

Edited:

hasn't been a new post in almost 24 hours :|

Cartman, how's the dhd crystal code going? Last time i checked (last test for the crystal model) there were no wire inputs or outputs. how would an e2 work?

Edited:

i still have that e2 error cartman.
    I thought the whole point of broken DHD's was so that they would barely supply power to the gate.
    If you want to use wire then use a non broken one?

speaking of.
    It would be nice if the gate had an unstable event horizon for a while before shutting down if your powering the gate by other means than a dhd. As it is right now it's no power = immediately shut down
    I would like to see it flicker for about 1 and 1/2 seconds with increasing frequency
    (like when Orlins gate is almost out of power) before it shuts down.
    If you can hook it up to power before then than it will re-stabilize.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #2887
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    I thought the whole point of broken DHD's was so that they would barely supply power to the gate.
    If you want to use wire then use a non broken one?

..... i was referring to something cartman was making... next time, look around before answering questions about stuff you don't know about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #2888
    October 2010
    1,504 Posts
    speaking of.
    It would be nice if the gate had an unstable event horizon for a while before shutting down if your powering the gate by other means than a dhd. As it is right now it's no power = immediately shut down
    I would like to see it flicker for about 1 and 1/2 seconds with increasing frequency
    (like when Orlins gate is almost out of power) before it shuts down.
    If you can hook it up to power before then than it will re-stabilize.
    This thing is removed because it has too much bugs. There is very hard correct do this thing. Because stargate consume energy every 0.5 second, some amount of energy, if energy not enough, then stargate shutdown. There is no way to detect how much energy left in energy source, because every energy device have different amount of energy and every energy device can supply only some small value of energy in device, not all at same time, for example zpm can supply at one second only 5% of "energy" resource, and then impossible detect how much energy in other devices (non-cap for example). So this thing can be coded only in one way correct - when energy is over, then stargate will not close instantly, it will create some unstable effects and shutdown after few seconds. Also this means stargate will never close instantly when you for example get out zpm from zpmhub, or dissconnect energy from stargate... So i think this isn't good idea then. And this require recode some things, so i'll not do this thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #2889
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    This thing is removed because it has too much bugs. There is very hard correct do this thing. Because stargate consume energy every 0.5 second, some amount of energy, if energy not enough, then stargate shutdown. There is no way to detect how much energy left in energy source, because every energy device have different amount of energy and every eenrgy device can supply only some small value of energy in device, not all at same time, for example zpm can supply at one secound only 5% of "energy" resource, and then impossible detect how much energy in other devices (non-cap for example). So this thing can be coded only in one way correct - when energy is over, then stargate will not close instantly, it will create some unstable effects and shutdown after few seconds. Also this means stargate will never close instantly when you for example get out zpm from zpmhub, or dissconnect energy from stargate... So i think this isn't good idea then. And this require recode some things, so i'll not do this thing.
    also, pretty sure a gate with cut power wouldn't have an unstable wormhole effect. the design/fail safes wouldn't allow it. it would probably just shut down normally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2890
    May 2010
    129 Posts
    @AlexALX
    & kibbols

Yea that is logical.
    Come to think of it the only thing in the TV show I remotely remember was when they had to make the gate be struck by lightning to power it.

So, the dhd must have had 0 energy left?

This gives me an idea for a lightning rod entity. Although very few game modes have weather and it's something that probably will never come to spacebuild
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2891
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    @AlexALX
    & kibbols

Yea that is logical.
    Come to think of it the only thing in the TV show I remotely remember was when they had to make the gate be struck by lightning to power it.

So, the dhd must have had 0 energy left?

This gives me an idea for a lightning rod entity. Although very few game modes have weather and it's something that probably will never come to spacebuild
    if weather is ever added, this would be a cool idea.

@Cartman
    I'm making an Atlantis Control Crystal, i'v got the first test committed to the svn i gave you.

12. Post #2892
    April 2011
    2,035 Posts
    @kibbols
    My crystal code is actually done. It's meant to be used with Wirelink. Btw i don't know why you have bug
    with E2. I'll check it out this Saturday, i have no time/little time for any coding because of school. >.>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Croatia Show Events

13. Post #2893
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    @kibbols
    My crystal code is actually done. It's meant to be used with Wirelink. Btw i don't know why you have bug
    with E2. I'll check it out this Saturday, i have no time/little time for any coding because of school. >.>
    ok, but here's a picture of the Atlantis crystal anyway.

Personally, i say this model is better than the Milky Way crystal model i made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2894
    April 2011
    2,035 Posts
    ok, but here's a picture of the Atlantis crystal anyway.

Personally, i say this model is better than the Milky Way crystal model i made.
    Awesome. :D Ask Boba to texture them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #2895
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    Awesome. :D Ask Boba to texture them.
    He could mess with the .vmt but other than that, I like it the way it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

16. Post #2896
    July 2010
    2,048 Posts
    He could mess with the .vmt but other than that, I like it the way it is.
    It's plain, doesn't look good and needs to look more like the actual control crystal, redo the textures if you don't want others to texture it for you.

Couple refs:

http://www.propworx.com/auctions/sy/sy_0082.jpg
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...D_Crystals.jpg
    http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...l_Crystals.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

17. Post #2897
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    It's plain, doesn't look good and needs to look more like the actual control crystal, redo the textures if you don't want others to texture it for you.

Couple refs:

http://www.propworx.com/auctions/sy/sy_0082.jpg
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...D_Crystals.jpg
    http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...l_Crystals.jpg
    i also worked on it until 1 am, i wanted to sleep. but yeah, i'm working on a version of the crystal's material with better looking lines now.

Edited:

@Boba & Cartman

It's not done yet, but how's this material so far?

-snip picture, better one below-

the black is there temporarily. i did it to see the crystal's grayish/whitish color so i don't accidentally go over the boundaries.

Edited:

disregard the last picture, look at this one.

Edited:

@boba & Cartman

i think i'm done, what do you think?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #2898
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    2,161 Posts
    That looks nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #2899
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    That looks nice
    thanks

Edited:

here's the model in-game with the new material. is it better?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

20. Post #2900
    January 2012
    206 Posts
    thanks

Edited:

here's the model in-game with the new material. is it better?

"dialer wain crystal" lol
    it looks great

21. Post #2901
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    it looks great
    thanks

Edited:

it looks great
    i just typed an m with the ancient font. it isn't wain, that is really an m. W (in ancient) looks like a backwards K (english)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #2902
    I like Ponies!!!
    January 2010
    2,255 Posts
    Front/back need to be more white + less alpha (background should be almost transparent). Texture needs to be translucent (visible from both sides). Some serius specular should be added, to add reflections ad sides (and maybe a bump map too).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #2903
    April 2011
    2,035 Posts
    Front/back need to be more white + less alpha (background should be almost transparent). Texture needs to be translucent (visible from both sides). Some serius specular should be added, to add reflections ad sides (and maybe a bump map too).
    Don't complicate it, madman! It looks awesome! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Croatia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2904

April 2011
    602 Posts
    Don't complicate it, madman! It looks awesome! :D
    It looks like tinted glass, not crystal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2905
    January 2012
    206 Posts
    thanks

Edited:

i just typed an m with the ancient font. it isn't wain, that is really an m. W (in ancient) looks like a backwards K (english)
    Looks like i still fail at reading that, lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #2906
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    It looks like tinted glass, not crystal.
    i just learned how to do anything recently. it's staying as is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2907
    February 2010
    605 Posts
    That really is the wrong way kibbols, you should work on it until it looks really well compared to the references, otherwise all your models would be like half finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #2908
    July 2010
    2,048 Posts
    i just learned how to do anything recently. it's staying as is.
    Let's see here:

1. The uv map lacks decent placement and has allot of wasted space = can be fixed to a degree/
    2. The texture is really not finished and is currently just a placeholder "at least that would be for me"
    3. The texture should be made actually totally white and be made by using the alpha channel more than actually lowering the shading of the base, meaning the whole texture would be more like white and the alpha should do all the work, like so:

Diffuse:

Alpha:

4. The way your graph or lines are made up doesn't actually make to much sense, it also doesn't look like it's based upon something, so you can better play also with that a bit more and make it a bit more complicated as they are control crystals after all http://images.wikia.com/stargate/ima...ol_crystal.jpg

5. Like madman said but well NOT A BUMP MAP but actually a normal map would be handy here it doesn't require anything other than a plain bump but it should contain a specular map to make it crystal like, and ofc shaders phong and rimlight will really make this look better, you've got enough references for a decent vmt setting in cap I've made better for my latest releases but didn't used those settings for cap as gmod runs on an older engine and those vmt commands are not supported by gmod.

So yea in general redo everything except the model! And well post a wireframe of your model and say how much triangles the model has so we can actually also see if it's required to redo that as well!

Hope it helps, it's good to see someone actually learning how to do things their self! That's why we'll provide decent critics on your work if you post them! Keep up the good work and improve you'll improve over time!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #2909
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    Let's see here:

1. The uv map lacks decent placement and has allot of wasted space = can be fixed to a degree/
    2. The texture is really not finished and is currently just a placeholder "at least that would be for me"
    3. The texture should be made actually totally white and be made by using the alpha channel more than actually lowering the shading of the base, meaning the whole texture would be more like white and the alpha should do all the work, like so:

Diffuse:

Alpha:

4. The way your graph or lines are made up doesn't actually make to much sense, it also doesn't look like it's based upon something, so you can better play also with that a bit more and make it a bit more complicated as they are control crystals after all http://images.wikia.com/stargate/ima...ol_crystal.jpg

5. Like madman said but well NOT A BUMP MAP but actually a normal map would be handy here it doesn't require anything other than a plain bump but it should contain a specular map to make it crystal like, and ofc shaders phong and rimlight will really make this look better, you've got enough references for a decent vmt setting in cap I've made better for my latest releases but didn't used those settings for cap as gmod runs on an older engine and those vmt commands are not supported by gmod.

So yea in general redo everything except the model! And well post a wireframe of your model and say how much triangles the model has so we can actually also see if it's required to redo that as well!

Hope it helps, it's good to see someone actually learning how to do things their self! That's why we'll provide decent critics on your work if you post them! Keep up the good work and improve you'll improve over time!
    I JUST learned how to make models and simple materials for garry's mod. STOP ACTING LIKE I KNOW IT ALL JUST AFTER LEARNING THE FUCKING BASICS!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #2910
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    Let's see here:

Diffuse:

Alpha:

(just got home from school not as stressed out now, i'll answer more calmly.)
    if i feel like redoing it, i'll redo it. you're right it's just a placeholder for now. when i feel like sitting down and learning more (maybe this weekend) i'll work on it. btw, the lines don't HAVE to be white or silver. this even proves it: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...D_Crystals.jpg

and, of course it's not based off of one crystal. have you seen the model? look around, you won't find a crystal that has that exact shape. because the shape is my own, i wanted the crystal lines to be my own as well. i'm busy today but i'll try to work on the material later. i wanted it to look better than the first material. and i think we all can say, that one was shit. OH AND ALSO, the crystal doesn't have to be white either. it's because the actual crystal props in the show were transparent, i made mine translucent so it could still be seen if it falls to the ground.

Edited:

nor do all of them look complex.

Edited:

How's this?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #2911
    July 2010
    2,048 Posts
    Well that's not a kind way to threat constructive criticism...

Well it's good that you're redoing some parts, the lines are already much better but the text look out of place, try going with something more subtle like just a border or so.

As for the texture the way I presented it in my previous post is the best to handle such things as you fully rely on the alpha than.

And yea we don't see the any other changes "uv, normal, specular, vmt" yet so I'll wait to comment on those!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #2912
    May 2010
    129 Posts
    Have there been any reports of Gmod breaking or behaving oddly today? There was a Hl2 dod:S css tf2 engine update today. we all know what that means.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #2913
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    Well that's not a kind way to threat constructive criticism...

Well it's good that you're redoing some parts, the lines are already much better but the text look out of place, try going with something more subtle like just a border or so.

As for the texture the way I presented it in my previous post is the best to handle such things as you fully rely on the alpha than.

And yea we don't see the any other changes "uv, normal, specular, vmt" yet so I'll wait to comment on those!
    idk what the normal and specular are and i just left the vmt the way it was. idk how to work that stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #2914
    July 2010
    2,048 Posts
    idk what the normal and specular are and i just left the vmt the way it was. idk how to work that stuff
    If you do not know something you do research on it so you can improve on your own - Self Schooling!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #2915
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    If you do not know something you do research on it so you can improve on your own - Self Schooling!
    so a normal map is like the bumps on something right? a crystal is smooth. thanks to all for helping me this far with modeling for Garry's Mod. I really do appreciate it. Later once i get a little more familiar i will take the "Self Schooling" technique and learn some lua. if i need anymore help, i'll let you guys know.

Edited:

WOOT! made a normal for the model, now to test it.

36. Post #2916
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    the normal works.

Edited:

any ideas on what the back of the crystal should look like? for now it's the front reversed, which doesn't work because i have Ancient Text on it.

37. Post #2917
    Dennab
    March 2010
    338 Posts
    This thread makes me want to cry these days :'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #2918
    October 2010
    1,504 Posts
    Rev 315 changes:

Fixed:

* Cap not work on gmod13 after latest update.
    * Some other small fixes for gmod13.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

39. Post #2919
    I like Ponies!!!
    January 2010
    2,255 Posts
    @kibbols, not really.
    Bump map describe plane normal variations. So for example, shader take plane normal and add to it values from bump map. Thus, you get "bumps", that you can create from height map (gray scale map that specify each bump height).
    Normal map descirbe every plane normal vector itself, it's made from hi-polygon model which is projected on low-polygon model and basicaly it's purpose it to give a feeling that model have thousands of polygon, instead of hudreds by manipulating normal vectors ad edges (and other places).
    So basically, you did bump map I suspect. All things in CAP use bump maps since they are easy to make and give decent looking. Just be sure to not mess normal and bump names together :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

40. Post #2920
    『  』
    June 2010
    672 Posts
    Yay for broken pages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)