1. Post #1
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,939 Posts

PlayStation Vita Mega Thread

Summary

Playstation Vita is Sony's second handheld console; the successor to the Playstation Portable. It boasts an impressive 5-inch capacitive OLED touchscreen, a rear touchscreen, and two analog sticks with a 960X544 qHD (Quarter HD) resolution. Play Station Vita games are either sold physically (Game Cartridges) or digitally (Through PSN). Saved games and downloaded titles are stored on proprietary memory cards only used for Playstation Vita which come in 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, and 32gb sizes. In addition to playing Vita titles, Playstation Vita is compatibly with digitally sold Playstation Classics (PS1 games) or digitally sold PSP games. Playstation Vita is not backwards compatible with Physical PSP games because it lacks a UMD drive.

Features and Selling Points

-Vita is covered by Playstation Plus, and each month sees new titles available for Vita users. Games offered for free or discounted prices include Vita titles, PSP titles, or Playstation Classics.
    -Stream videos and Music from your PC or PlayStation consoles to the Vita or store them on the Vita
    -Two built in cameras for augmented reality gameplay
    -Two Analog Sticks, Front Touch Screen, Rear Touch Pace, 10 buttons (Not including Menu, Start, Select, volume controls)
    -Some Playstation titles offer cross platform support between PS3/VITA/PS4 including...

Cross Buy: Buy a title on any platform, and receive it on multiple platforms

Cross Save: Upload and download save files between platforms and continue your game where ever you want to play
    Cross Play: Play multiplayer modes with users on different platforms
    Cross Controller: Use the PlayStation Vita as a controller on other platforms with varying features and added game play mechanics
    Remote Play: Stream PS3/PS4 games to Vita; A majority of PS4 titles will support Remote Play through a local network with few exceptions

Notable Released Games (US)

Retail Vita Releases

Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation
    Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
    Dragon's Crown
    Gravity Rush
    Killzone Mercenary
    Little Big Planet Vita
    Lumines Electronic Symphony
    Metal Gear Solid HD
    Muramasa Rebirth
    Persona 4 Golden
    PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Rayman Origins
    Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
    Soul Sacrifice
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    Wipeout 2048

Download/Indie Vita Releases

Guacamelee
    Hotline Miami
    Motorstorm RC
    Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
    Pinball Arcade
    Plants Vs Zombies
    Sound Shapes
    Spelunky
    Super Stardust Delta
    Walking Dead Season 1

PSP Games

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    Valkyria Chronicles II
    Persona 3 Portable
    Daxter
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
    Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars
    Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
    God of War Chains of Olympus
    God of War Ghost of Sparta
    Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Patapon
    LocoRoco
    Corpse Party
    Killzone Liberation
    Dissidia

PlayStation Classics

Resident Evil (1-3)
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    Final Fantasy (VI-IX)
    Dino Crisis (1 and 2)

Notable Future Releases (US)

Tear Away
    Rayman Legends
    Walking Dead Season 2
    Kick Beat
    Dragon Fantasy Book 2
    Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate
    Borderlands 2
    Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
    Final Fantasy X/X2 HD
    Football Manager 2014 Classic
    Minecraft
    Lone Survivor The Director's Cut
    Ys: Memories of Celceta
    FEZ
    The Binding Of Isaac Rebirth
    Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
    BIT TRIP Presents Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
    Hohokum
    Flower
    CounterSpy
    Starbound
    Terraria
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 15Optimistic x 3Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Funny x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    March 2010
    5,179 Posts
    Mine is shipping at the 24th and it will most likely arrive at the 29th.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,752 Posts
    Release date came pretty fast.

Got preordered but not even decided on games yet.

4. Post #4
    YOU ARE DUMB AND NOBODY LIKES YOU
    January 2010
    6,304 Posts
    i work retail and we've already gotten a majority of the first-release vita games in. i'm surprised at how early we've gotten them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,939 Posts
    Here's the size of the game cartridges.

The memory sticks are supposed to be a bit smaller then that as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Don't we already have a thread?

Edited:

This one has more info though which is nice

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,988 Posts
    I've only played with a display model because fuck its price tag but I think it could do with indented thumbsticks, maybe it's because I'm more used to a 360 controller but it just doesn't feel right to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,939 Posts
    Don't we already have a thread?

Edited:

This one has more info though which is nice
    That's why I decided to go ahead and make it. I still plan on adding a bit more in the next couple of days too. Plus the old thread was made last year, so it doesn't have a lot of media understandably.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,339 Posts
    Fyi you only get your free month of 3g data after you buy a month of data
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    800 Posts
    I'm surprised at the lack of games on this system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,444 Posts
    Anyone know if the analogue sticks are actually capable of controlling aim effectively, id hate to get a vita and then find out I cant aim for shit cause the sticks are too sensitive.

12. Post #12

August 2011
    89 Posts
    i love the OP, thanks for this.

Getting my First Edition Bundle and Uncharted, WipEout 2048, and UMvC3 on Wednesday.

Gunna be awesome.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,339 Posts
    Im going to go ahead and exclaim that little deviants looks dumb and short
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,120 Posts
    Was it ever confirmed whether the remake of Persona 4 on the vita was going to be localized?

15. Post #15
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,920 Posts
    Hoping for some quality Monster Hunter games on this.

I'll wait to see if anything catches my eye later as the only thing I really like out of the current lineup is Wipeout
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,601 Posts
    knew uncharted wouldn't live up to previous uncharted titles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,939 Posts
    UPS just delivered Uncharted, Modnation Racers, Carrying Case, and Memory Stick. Now if I just lump them all together I can pretend that I have my Vita now.

People are going to be surprised at how small the cases and the game are. A Vita cartridge is significantly smaller then a 3DS cartridge and a lot thinner as well. I could easily see this getting lost if you don't put them back in the cases right away. It's actually pretty hard to read the title on Uncharted Golden Abyss.

The Official Sony carrying case looks pretty fancy and seems like it will protect the front and back of the Vita very nicely. It also can transform into a kickstand if you want to watch media on the Vita, which is a plus. The only thing is that this doesn't seem to keep the sides of the Vita very safe.

I can't wait another nine days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,339 Posts
    I can't wait another nine days.
    should have got the pre release bundle (like me)

omg 2 more days
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Games currently out don't really appeal to me, nor do I have the money for the machine. But it's extremely promising, so I've definitely got an eye on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

20. Post #20
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,939 Posts
    should have got the pre release bundle (like me)

omg 2 more days
    You Bastard!

Nah, the first edition bundle was tempting for the fact of getting it a week early, but for like the same price as the FEB, I got a Wifi Vita, a 16gb memory card, and Uncharted Golden Abyss (Only payed $40 for it).

That being said, the case in the first edition bundle seems to be significantly better then the one Sony is selling to everyone else. Little Deviants doesn't seem like a must have game, and the 4gb memory stick is a little low for my taste. If the First Edition came with Uncharted or Wipeout I might have considered getting it.

EDIT

Adding some content, two editors go back and forth over what place Vita has in the gaming world.

...if phones are "lean forward" and tablets are "lean back," the Vita to me falls somewhere in between — I can bring it with me wherever I go, but I'm more likely to play around on my couch at home. The impressive viewing angles complement my slouching. Not only is it notably bigger than the PSP — about 23 percent larger in volume — but the whole landscape has changed. When the PSP launched in 2004, its competition was really only Nintendo; I couldn’t have even imagined playing a game like Dead Space or Mass Effect on my phone.

I contend the PlayStation Vita is the best gaming portable, but I can’t shake the feeling that this is the beginning of the end for dedicated handheld gaming platforms.
    ...Where Vita has the chance to shine is with the kinds of immersive experiences typically restricted to home consoles, and I truly believe it will, because Vita devs have all these additional controls to work with and a single spec to develop for. Perhaps the most exciting bit, though, is that for perhaps the first time with a game system, immersion doesn’t have to be at the expense of a pick-up-and-play experience. Yeah, Vita games take a while to load, but once they do, you can jump in and out at will, instantly resuming your game exactly where you left it. There’s no need to find a good breaking point or frantically attempt to save your game while diving out the doors of a crowded bus, your game system clutched tightly in both hands as you reach your stop.

I really do think the Vita is a turning point, (and a bridge from physical to virtual media) but it’s not away from handheld systems at all. By embracing smartphone paradigms like instant-on and instant-resume (not to mention premium mobile components like the AMOLED screen and quad-core silicon) and adding dedicated gaming controls, the Vita’s pointing the way to a golden age of portable gaming to come. The Vita won’t be the last handheld, because there’s still plenty of work to do on the solid foundations Sony built here: battery life, ubiquitous 4G connectivity and an open game / app store should be next on the agenda.

No, if you ask me, it’s full-sized gaming consoles that should watch their back: now that you can have a substantial fraction of the PlayStation 3 experience on a $250 handheld, we’re only a foolproof wireless HDMI connection (and yes, some better batteries) away from making a dedicated box obsolete.

21. Post #21

August 2011
    89 Posts
    1 more day til FEB. Resistance: Burning Skies confirmed for May 29th.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts
    I dont get why the Vita got those stupid VGA cameras in 2012, really, a fucking 640x480 (0.3MP) camera? Even the shittiest phone have atleast 1MP cameras.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    March 2010
    4,152 Posts
    so they can charge more for the PSV-3000 ^_^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    1 more day til FEB. Resistance: Burning Skies confirmed for May 29th.
    Well, then I've got until May/June to save up for a wifi and Resistance.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Can I play PS1 games on this?...

27. Post #27
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,939 Posts
    Can I play PS1 games on this?...
    Not at launch, but I believe they confirmed they will be adding it later. Why it's not available at launch, who knows?

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    That would be the greatest reason to get one for me. Assuming they don't mind whatever way I get the PS1 games...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,339 Posts
    my vita shipped
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,015 Posts
    Man I want a vita but I'm unsure if I should get one since I already own a 3DS. Do you guys think it's a bad idea?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,339 Posts
    Man I want a vita but I'm unsure if I should get one since I already own a 3DS. Do you guys think it's a bad idea?
    if you have the money get both (like me)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2011
    559 Posts
    Should I get the vita for my birthday?, which is in April, or wait for a price drop and more games

33. Post #33
    March 2010
    5,179 Posts
    Gravity Daze is a PSN demo.

34. Post #34
    $1 TITLE!
    December 2007
    3,748 Posts
    DAY 3 BUY! Because i dont get paid till the 24th.

Not preordered, but i dont mind traveling to find stock, not that im expecting it to fly off the shelves at 220 start.

Whats the score with the 3g version? how is a 3G contract applied to it and at what costs?

35. Post #35
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,939 Posts
    I don't know who provides 3G in the UK or what terms apply, but I'll try and find out.
    In the US, AT&T is providing the service on a monthly, no contract, basis.

PSN was apparently updated with tons of Vita stuff for the early launch tomorrow, and I might just go ahead and purchase Escape Plan and Super Start Dust now so I'll have it downloaded and ready to transfer to my Vita right away.

EDIT: So about the mixed reviews on Vita games, especially Uncharted. This comment on Reddit more or less sums up my feelings.

I'm extremely confused by some of the Vita game reviews I've seen out there. There's far too many reviews that are comparing the games directly to the PS3 and not letting them stand on their own merits. I've heard people absolutely rave about Uncharted and absolutely bash it. It seems that the people who loved it are saying the same thing, "There's never been a handheld gaming experience like this before." Whereas the people who are bashing the game keep saying, "This is smaller and not as nice looking as the PS3 version."
    I don't get it.

36. Post #36

August 2011
    89 Posts
    Got my First Edition like 5mins ago. I'd post an unboxing but it's been done. I'll post pics later of I can/if you guys want, but right now I am currently mobile.

*Also: Vodafone is the primary internet provider in the UK, I believe.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,339 Posts
    God damn ups hurry the fuck up and deliver my vita
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,365 Posts
    I heard that the Remote Play with PS3 games was a flop and didn't work worth a shit. I hope not because i plan on getting one of these so i can remote play MGS4.

39. Post #39
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    3,939 Posts
    I heard that the Remote Play with PS3 games was a flop and didn't work worth a shit. I hope not because i plan on getting one of these so i can remote play MGS4.
    If you ware planning on getting a Vita for remote play, definitely wait. Sony is planning on making/updating remote play to work with all PS3 games (They showed Killzone 3 being played on Vita via Remote Play at some trade show), but currently it only supports a handful of downloadable PS3 games and PS1 games.

EDIT 2:

Gravity launch in Japan was the number 2 best selling game this week at 43,462 units sold, and it's suspected that the digital sales are higher then that. However, the system is still having its ass handed to it by 3DS, Vita only sold 13,939 systems.

EDIT:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,339 Posts
    oh so thats why i can't track my package

NEW YORK — UPS is reporting widespread, scattered technical problems affecting tracking and processing of packages.

United Parcel Service Inc. spokeswoman Susan Rosenberg said Wednesday that the outages are not affecting the movement of trucks or any other part of the operation. The problem is with some shipping applications that customers use to input and track shipments. Some are reporting problems getting into the system.

Rosenberg says a disruption like this is very rare because of the number of overlaps in the system designed to prevent them.

UPS, based in Atlanta, expects the disruption to be cleared up soon.
    Edited:

posting from my ps vita!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)