1. Post #1
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    Hey, I have set of these: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-Blue-Interi...item519cdc46b6
    And today I got 12V 1A DC adaptor so got them working now, is there any trick i could do to make these strobe to music? If so then how?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    667 Posts
    No, they will not blink along with audio without some sort of external interface.

3. Post #3
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    How much that music interface thing costs? and where can I buy it?

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    667 Posts
    Try the cold cathode lighting section on frozencpu.com or anywhere on BuyRicerCarLightingAccessoriesForKids.com

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g6/c449/s1144/list/p1/Lighting-Cold_Cathode_-_Accessories-Cold_Cathode_-_Sound_Activation_-Page1.html   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    Buy a tip31 transistor with a heatsink! and use this wiring schematic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,915 Posts
    Buy a tip31 transistor with a heatsink! and use this wiring schematic
    This just isn't going to cut it as an amplifier. I don't know where to start, but just boshing in a transistor is no good. At the very least you'd want some de-coupling capacitors in there if you were just going to use a single transistor, however I suspect the output from the audio system would be insufficient to drive the transistor.

The circuit sketch below is done totally off the top of my head so I have no idea if it would work but I suggest some kind of OpAmp arrangement with a class B transistor amplifier setup on the output. If you wanted to make the circuitry yourself (OP clearly doesn't though) you can get dedicated LM386 audio amplifier chips for something like this to use in the place of the OpAmp which have a reasonable frequency response, although it's not really necessary in this application.

You could also throw in some zeners to clamp the output to 12v. This of course depends on the circuitry you place in between this and your cathodes, what current the cathodes draw etc. I've just made some simple assumptions but actually to design anything outright you'd need better knowledge of your inputs and outputs.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    667 Posts
    I highly doubt the op is looking for a DIY solution.

Also, don't try and learn electronics on instructables jackal, unless you never plan on being any good at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    what the hell? No this works great you can ask my friend who has 8 10" speakers and 8 12" speakers in the back of a f350. We use tip 31's all the time to make stuff blink to music, I found the picture because it showed in google images. You should use this before you get to the inverter board, there is a reason I said use a heatsink.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    667 Posts
    Just because it "works" does not mean its a good idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)