1. Post #1
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    I'm just wanting to know if I have the best setup for the headphones I use.

I use Turtle Beach DX11: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...force-x11.aspx (They're similar to that, but came with a DSS Processor)

I also have the latest Realtek drivers. Is there anymore I can do to make it sound better?

2. Post #2
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,948 Posts
    buy a real pair of headphones rather than a childrens toy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2009
    108 Posts
    Agreed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Thanks for the help! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,948 Posts
    Thanks for the help! :)
    well you can't just make a headphone sound better, they are meant for preteens playing cod, you can EQ them and maybe somewhat make it better, but ultimately they aren't worth it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    well you can't just make a headphone sound better, they are meant for preteens playing cod, you can EQ them and maybe somewhat make it better, but ultimately they aren't worth it
    Well I know I wasn't going to get a significant difference, I was just wanting to know if there's any small tweaks or software I could use/get to perhaps improve them, even by the smallest bit.

Yes, I did buy them for xbox originally but I've ended up switching to PC gaming, and I don't have the money to purchase a PC headset.

These aren't that bad, anyway. I don't consider them great compared to most PC headsets, but they're a lot better than ones I've used that are in the ~$100 range.

7. Post #7
    November 2010
    1,692 Posts
    He means get headphones and mic separately because headsets are routinely terrible compared to a decent set of headphones and a discrete mic at around the same price.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,176 Posts
    Well I know I wasn't going to get a significant difference, I was just wanting to know if there's any small tweaks or software I could use/get to perhaps improve them, even by the smallest bit.

Yes, I did buy them for xbox originally but I've ended up switching to PC gaming, and I don't have the money to purchase a PC headset.

These aren't that bad, anyway. I don't consider them great compared to most PC headsets, but they're a lot better than ones I've used that are in the ~$100 range.
    Start off a bit cheap than. Go to the headphone thread and look. they got a good list up there.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,192 Posts
    Pro tip: Usually, headphones with mics built in aren't going to be anything special. They will be geared towards gamers who will be playing video games... not audiophiles or someone looking for great sound. There's a headphone buying thread on this forum... look there for suggestions. And buy the mic separate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,929 Posts
    Downloading more ram may work

But seriously, just buy a better pair of headphones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,600 Posts

You can get a cheap desktop mic or a clip-on one (clips to headphone wire) seaparate and a decent pair of headphones/earbuds.

I have Sennheiser CX475 IEM earbuds (caught them at $20 on newegg, $50 now)
    They have really nice sound and i don't even EQ my music anymore.

12. Post #12
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    He means get headphones and mic separately because headsets are routinely terrible compared to a decent set of headphones and a discrete mic at around the same price.
    Well the PC360's do sound just like 595's and the microphone is a capsule condenser so that's something to think about. Agreed though just get them seperately.

13. Post #13
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Well the PC360's do sound just like 595's and the microphone is a capsule condenser so that's something to think about. Agreed though just get them seperately.
    Same for MMX-300s, just DT-770s with a boom mic attached, but at the same time you're paying premium for the convenience, you could get the same quality for much less.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,389 Posts
    I'm just wanting to know if I have the best setup for the headphones I use.

I use Turtle Beach DX11: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...force-x11.aspx (They're similar to that, but came with a DSS Processor)

I also have the latest Realtek drivers. Is there anymore I can do to make it sound better?
    I'd start at the beginning- with the stuff you have now. First, the headset has a frequency range of 30hz-20khz, so don't expect monster bass out of it. You'll notice headphones(not headsets) known for their bass usually are rated under 20hz on the low end.

Next, that DSS processor has an optical input. So ideally you'd hook up your Realtek's optical output, not analog, to the DSS. Then plug your headset into the DSS. That should give you the cleanest sound you can get from your Realtek onboard audio. If you use the analog outputs, the regular headphone plug, you are going to get the noisy, low power output. Your DSS can amplify it, but it can't clean up a noisy analog signal.

15. Post #15
    November 2010
    1,692 Posts
    Yeah, there are definitely exceptions, but they're fairly rare.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    29 Posts
    Well I think you can weed out the idiots/trolls that do not know about audio in this thread. Turtle beach has a decent line of headsets. The X11 series is decent if you want basic stereo and a mic, with a comfortable fit. Other than that, sound quality can differ. When you ask "what can you do to get better quality", that is a very broad statement. What did you expect vs. what you actually got? Did you want more bass? Better decibel range? Better frequencies? Did you think that there would be reduced background noise? I don't know what's wrong with your experience as I am not in your shoes. If it is a volume problem, you can do a lot of amazing things with third party software, as well as drivers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,948 Posts
    Well I think you can weed out the idiots/trolls that do not know about audio in this thread. Turtle beach has a decent line of headsets. The X11 series is decent if you want basic stereo and a mic, with a comfortable fit. Other than that, sound quality can differ. When you ask "what can you do to get better quality", that is a very broad statement. What did you expect vs. what you actually got? Did you want more bass? Better decibel range? Better frequencies? Did you think that there would be reduced background noise? I don't know what's wrong with your experience as I am not in your shoes. If it is a volume problem, you can do a lot of amazing things with third party software, as well as drivers.
    lmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    CP doesn't necessarily have to have a victim, it's just that 99.9% of the time it does. The thing with pedos is that they've been demonized to be horrible no matter what, and I don't think that's the case.
    April 2006
    16,100 Posts
    lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    roflmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,859 Posts
    rotfl
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    Derp? (just going with the flow)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts
    Go back to listening your 8kbps youtube rips, why don't ya. A lot of this advice is actually right, just because you can hear the difference between your skullcandies and your friend's $10k Beats headphones it doesn't instantly make you an audiophile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2010
    666 Posts
    You could look for a usb DAC/Amp.

The one I use is the Fiio E10 and it's very good with my Grado SR80i's
    But you should only consider this if you think that your onboard sound card is limiting you, in my case it was, but I'm using a good pair of headphones, I'm not sure if the same can apply to Turtle's.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,484 Posts
    oh man

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,389 Posts
    You could look for a usb DAC/Amp.

The one I use is the Fiio E10 and it's very good with my Grado SR80i's
    But you should only consider this if you think that your onboard sound card is limiting you, in my case it was, but I'm using a good pair of headphones, I'm not sure if the same can apply to Turtle's.
    From what I read, isn't that what his DSS processor is? If he runs the green analog output, he can only use the DSS as an amplifier. But if he runs his optical output to it, the DSS will function as a DAC too.

26. Post #26
    August 2009
    9,332 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    3,348 Posts

28. Post #28
    July 2010
    666 Posts
    From what I read, isn't that what his DSS processor is? If he runs the green analog output, he can only use the DSS as an amplifier. But if he runs his optical output to it, the DSS will function as a DAC too.
    I hadn't really read about the DSS but I can only assume that it wont be as good as the Fiio E10, many say that for 60 it's the best within the 100 price range, so that may be an option.

29. Post #29
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I hadn't really read about the DSS but I can only assume that it wont be as good as the Fiio E10, many say that for 60 it's the best within the 100 price range, so that may be an option.
    A FiiO E10 really won't give him much, he'd be better off using the money for new headphones, the FiiO E10 just compliments already good headphones.

31. Post #31

April 2011
    4,489 Posts
    The E10 can't fix headphones being shit.

32. Post #32
    Serve Chilled
    December 2010
    539 Posts
    There is a button for that...

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,389 Posts
    A FiiO E10 really won't give him much, he'd be better off using the money for new headphones, the FiiO E10 just compliments already good headphones.
    I still think he's better off optimizing his current setup and seeing how it sounds. Then, if he's still unhappy, he can identify what he thinks he needs more off(bigger soundstage, more bass, etc). It's possible he's got something hooked up wrong and once he fixes it he might be happy with his current headset.

34. Post #34
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I still think he's better off optimizing his current setup and seeing how it sounds. Then, if he's still unhappy, he can identify what he thinks he needs more off(bigger soundstage, more bass, etc). It's possible he's got something hooked up wrong and once he fixes it he might be happy with his current headset.
    I can tell you right now that the FiiO E10 won't do anything for him with his current headphones, it'd be a good investment for when he gets better headphones but he'd be better off getting new cans first.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,516 Posts
    There is quite a difference between a self-proclaimed audiophile just because he has a 123 dollar headphone and someone who knows his audio from the inside out.

You fit right in the former category.

36. Post #36
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    There is quite a difference between a self-proclaimed audiophile just because he has a 123 dollar headphone and someone who knows his audio from the inside out.

You fit right in the former category.
    Audiophilia just means you have a strong interest in high quality sound and music, you can't really label it with money, but I get what you're saying.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,516 Posts
    My little brother constantly talks about audio as if he knows everything about it while in fact the only thing he knows is that bass goes boom. He reminds me of that guy up there.

38. Post #38
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Asks a question. Just gets a bunch of trolls who try to show their facepunch dominance with their extreme knowledge of nothing important... with maybe 3-4 good answers mixed in there. THANKS EVERYBODY!

39. Post #39
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Asks a question. Just gets a bunch of trolls who try to show their facepunch dominance with their extreme knowledge of nothing important... with maybe 3-4 good answers mixed in there. THANKS EVERYBODY!
    All you can do is use an equalizer, other than that, buy new headphones.

40. Post #40

April 2011
    4,489 Posts
    Stop crying because we told you the truth.