1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,688 Posts
    I think he did fine with what he was given.
    Are you sure you were seeing the same movie i saw? Christensen wasn't really good compared to the other main actors, especially against McDarmid's (Palpatine) top-notch acting.

I miss the clever comedy moments of the original trilogy, the prequel takes itself too seriously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,328 Posts
    George Lucas is the reason I refuse to buy the original trilogy on blu-ray. I'll just stick to the vhs and early dvd versions.
    I have the VHS versions, nice and untouched.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #163
    June 2010
    4,876 Posts
    Get rid of the bullshit romanceness and Jar-jar and they might be alright
    But the bullshit romance is nessecary somewhat, soooo

But I still like all of the films.
    Save episode 3.
    I only remember mustafar and the space battle at the start.

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,538 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    Are you sure you were seeing the same movie i saw? Christensen wasn't really good compared to the other main actors, especially against McDarmid's (Palpatine) top-notch acting.

I miss the clever comedy moments of the original trilogy, the prequel takes itself too seriously.
    you can't blame christensen for doing what he could with what he was given. watch the redlettermedia review of episode 2 and 3. they go into how terrible the writing and direction is and how good of an actor christensen is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #166
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,808 Posts
    I love Rifftrax. We need another Mystery Science Theater. With Mike and the others, not some new shitheads.

7. Post #167
    February 2011
    1,737 Posts
    Well some good things came from the prequels. Like the Clone Wars animated series (The older one, not the CG one).

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

8. Post #168
    Title Attrition Belligerent
    November 2009
    2,022 Posts

i'm going to re watch.

by memory i can't recall that he disappointed me at all.

9. Post #169
    December 2009
    4,845 Posts
    Did anyone even consider these bounty hunters might fail their mission in the series?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,048 Posts
    Now, I love Star Wars, in fact it's one of my favourite film series and I do think this is a bad idea, but he has a point. The original trilogy is filled with clichés, stolen ideas and predictable characters. It's like you finding a story you wrote for a high school literature class 20 years later. Of course you're going to hate it because you know how far film writing in general has come since then.

And even if you don't like the new series he definitely has been thinking more out of the box, and incorporating themes that other writers would never have thought of, possibly because they're usually highly irritating and don't speak proper English.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,014 Posts
    We should all send him letters saying we are sorry for hurting his feelings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,159 Posts
    In star wars: the force unleashed you actually had a chance to rewrite the original trilogy by killing Vader and taking his place at the emperor's side. The missions that followed this choice (which sadly were DLC for xbox but free on PC) included making Luke Skywalker your dark apprentice and killing off Ben Kenobi. It was overall a pretty fun alternative and it was treated rather light-heartedly, which was good.

Hopefully if this series goes the same way it will turn out fine, even though they'd better rework Anakin because he really sucked originally.

Also, to save Anakin, wouldn't the simplest solution be to never make him meet Padmé ? She's basically the one who pushed him down the edge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,949 Posts
    In star wars: the force unleashed you actually had a chance to rewrite the original trilogy by killing Vader and taking his place at the emperor's side. The missions that followed this choice (which sadly were DLC for xbox but free on PC) included making Luke Skywalker your dark apprentice and killing off Ben Kenobi. It was overall a pretty fun alternative and it was treated rather light-heartedly, which was good.

Hopefully if this series goes the same way it will turn out fine, even though they'd better rework Anakin because he really sucked originally.

Also, to save Anakin, wouldn't the simplest solution be to never make him meet Padmé ? She's basically the one who pushed him down the edge.
    I still think Palpatine influenced him the most though at the very end
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    March 2011
    4,119 Posts
    I don't mind the prequels, mostly Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith, I liked them.(Not AotC that shit was horrible.) But the Originals will always be my favorite.

This is simply taking it to far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #175
    June 2010
    4,367 Posts
    The Clone Wars series turned out all right in my eyes, so It's possible.
    Perhaps they should stick to those kind of series for Star Wars.

After all the bitching George's received he could have learned something.
    But that could be wishful thinking, we'll find out soon enough.

To my surprise, the Clone Wars series is well done. Seasons one didn't really grab me but season 2 or 3 is when they kicked it into overdrive. It's like they know that teens and adults watch the show too.

16. Post #176
    August 2010
    796 Posts
    I'm okay with this, it really wont "remove" the old trilogy in anyway the new series is what I could consider a spin off, the original will always be here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #177
    June 2007
    279 Posts
    I don't get why this matters

it's a television series "what if"

it doesn't affect the films in any way obviously
    Obviously nothings official yet so if's go into this massively but, IF Lucas make the asinine choice to label the original trilogy non cannon and this new abortion waiting to happen canon then yes, fundamentally it changes fuck all cause we've all still go the movies and our personal opinions about what matters.

But, and here's the big but, alot of heavily invested Star Wars fans range from observant to obsessive about what is officially considered canon to the point that they outright dismiss elements that aren't or view them with skepticism, and calling the originals non-canon would cause some fans not to dismiss them but to be upset that the films they love are considered irrelevant to the rest of the material.
    The Original trilogy being what it is i.e. Star Wars in it's original form and telling of the story of a war between an Empire and a Rebellion is the lynch pin of that particular Star Wars era's story telling with regard to the novels, games, EU and so on (Not gonna get into Lucas's own bullshit about the films being the only true canon and everything else being signed off on).

To dismiss 4, 5 and 6 officially MAY affect future merchandise and games potentially also.

Personally, and again, IF Lucas does this, for me it changes nothing. The Originals count and the established EU that he and his Holocron Master (Read: Fact Checker) signed off on happened and are canon, just can't kill the kind of the hydra they gave birth to. But I'l still think he's an idiot and treat the new series IF it has that ridiculous plot as a spin off What-If fantasy on George's part.

18. Post #178
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,538 Posts
    has 27x come in here yet to tell us we're all a bunch of idiots with a false sense of entitlement for criticizing the prequels and everything lucas has done to the original trilogy since

i hope not I don't want to miss it

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,808 Posts
    All I want is all 6 movies unchanged in blu-ray.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,048 Posts
    All I want is all 6 movies unchanged in blu-ray.
    I quite like the colour correction in the edited versions, it's always nice for the explosions to not look that creepy blue colour.

21. Post #181
    Not actually a glitch
    May 2005
    4,277 Posts
    Now, I love Star Wars, in fact it's one of my favourite film series and I do think this is a bad idea, but he has a point. The original trilogy is filled with clichés, stolen ideas and predictable characters. It's like you finding a story you wrote for a high school literature class 20 years later. Of course you're going to hate it because you know how far film writing in general has come since then.

And even if you don't like the new series he definitely has been thinking more out of the box, and incorporating themes that other writers would never have thought of, possibly because they're usually highly irritating and don't speak proper English.
    After taking an extensive film analysis class featuring the original films, I must disagree. In fact, the reason the original movie was so good was because it followed the formula for a "hero story" perfectly, while throwing into a new setting with state of the art special effects. Predictable characters? Vader being Luke's father is still regarded as being the most shocking character development stunner ever. The movies in all had a sense of wonder and mystery that built upon the long-successful basis for any good story. As soon as you fiddle around with the basic elements of how a plot should work, it can go very bad. Look at Episode 1... who is the "Main Character?" Why are there characters forced in to fulfill a certain viewer expectation, rather than add to the plot? Why do things generally make no sense? Because Lucas messed around with things that make a story... well, a story. The new movies were, in my opinion, just a way for Lucas to play around with all the new pretty movie making effects.

Many experts in literature actually believe The original "Star Wars" movie will become legend in the far future, like a fairy tale.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,488 Posts
    George Lucas troll of the year 2012.
    I am still voting for Apple

23. Post #183
    February 2011
    279 Posts
    Wait a sec, if they went back in time, then doesn't that mean that the events of Anakian not becoming Vader already happened before the bounty hunters got the time machine? Or is this a causal relationship?

24. Post #184
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    speaking of the prequels

Natalie Portman and Keira Knightly look like twins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #185
    June 2008
    3,446 Posts
    i'd like to go back in time and prevent lucas from creating the prequels
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,159 Posts
    speaking of the prequels

Isn't that the point of having them in those specific roles ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #187
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    speaking of the prequels

Makes you wonder why she was cast as in impostor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,048 Posts
    I was reading the other day that Natalie Portman's own mother couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Edited:

After taking an extensive film analysis class featuring the original films, I must disagree. In fact, the reason the original movie was so good was because it followed the formula for a "hero story" perfectly, while throwing into a new setting with state of the art special effects. Predictable characters? Vader being Luke's father is still regarded as being the most shocking character development stunner ever. The movies in all had a sense of wonder and mystery that built upon the long-successful basis for any good story. As soon as you fiddle around with the basic elements of how a plot should work, it can go very bad. Look at Episode 1... who is the "Main Character?" Why are there characters forced in to fulfill a certain viewer expectation, rather than add to the plot? Why do things generally make no sense? Because Lucas messed around with things that make a story... well, a story. The new movies were, in my opinion, just a way for Lucas to play around with all the new pretty movie making effects.

Many experts in literature actually believe The original "Star Wars" movie will become legend in the far future, like a fairy tale.
    Yeah, you'll definitely know a lot more about the subject than I do, this was just my own amateur observation.

One thing I must comment on, you took a film analysis class on Star Wars?

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,177 Posts
    George Lucas troll of the year 2012.

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    speaking of the prequels

Glad to see that I'm not the only person that noticed that.

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    That neck is terrifying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    That neck is terrifying
    what neck lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #193
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Isn't that the point of having them in those specific roles ?
    I didn't realize Knightly was in that movie due to the lack of that thick accent. I thought Natalie Portman just played both utilizing clever camera tricks and/or special effects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)