1. Post #1

August 2011
    74 Posts
    I have started building a 2D game, and would like to know what the programmers of facepunch use as their 2D framework, as I cannot find one that I stay happy with.

2. Post #2
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,251 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,449 Posts
    LÍVE if you like Lua, C#/XNA if you'd prefer a C-style language.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I have started building a 2D game, and would like to know what the programmers of facepunch use as their 2D framework, as I cannot find one that I stay happy with.
    ...what exactly makes you not happy with any of them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,186 Posts
    Depends on the language, The good ones I've found are

C#
    SFML.net
    SDL.net

C++
    SFML

XNA is good for cross platform support but the 2d drawing is really limited, it's really for 3D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac New Zealand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    Why would you recommend SDL.net for C# but not SDL for C++?

this is very backwards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

7. Post #7

August 2011
    192 Posts
    Depends on the language, The good ones I've found are

C#
    SFML.net
    SDL.net

C++
    SFML

XNA is good for cross platform support but the 2d drawing is really limited, it's really for 3D.
    what do you mean with "limited"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,449 Posts
    I wouldn't say XNA is limited for 2D drawing, you can use stuff like GraphicsDevice.DrawUserPrimitives and so on to draw arbitrary polygons, SpriteBatch.DrawString for strings and SpriteBatch.Draw for textures. It might be lacking in some ares but it's still more than enough for most games and anything it does lack can be done using the Direct3D interfaces.

9. Post #9

August 2011
    192 Posts
    I wouldn't say XNA is limited for 2D drawing, you can use stuff like GraphicsDevice.DrawUserPrimitives and so on to draw arbitrary polygons, SpriteBatch.DrawString for strings and SpriteBatch.Draw for textures. It might be lacking in some ares but it's still more than enough for most games and anything it does lack can be done using the Direct3D interfaces.
    that's what I thought, xna provides you spritebatch which is quite powerful on it's own, but if you need more you can still go deeper to lower level function and do whatever you want basically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    Allegro...

But I prefer sfml.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,710 Posts
    Stencyl and Gamemaker are good if you can't code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    154 Posts
    SDL works for both C and C++ but is not object oriented.
    SFML is SDL with object oriented in mind.

You can also use cocos2d if your looking into 2d iPhone game development.

13. Post #13

February 2012
    3 Posts
    Why can you recommend SDL.internet for C# although not SDL for C ?

14. Post #14
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,054 Posts
    Because SDL is wrapped into an object-oriented library for C#.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2011
    129 Posts
    SDL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    October 2011
    39 Posts
    C++ with either SDL or SFML and you're set.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,079 Posts
    SDL.Net doesn't mean SDL.internet
    Unless I understood that wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    February 2012
    65 Posts
    C# and XNA?