1. Post #1
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    [release]
    Zansongzuglar - A Facepunch DF succession game
    [/release]

basically, we take turns in build a fort and coincidently ruining each other's plans.

turns are a year each.

make seasonal updates and keep the thread informed about major events.

[release]
    Players:
    PokeyMcFork
    VistaPOWA
    Acds
    terminutter
    Orkel
    Edthefirst
    war_man333
    [/release]

IN THESE HILLS, THESE BRAVE DWARVES SET OUT TO MAKE THEIR OWN WAY IN THE WORLD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,463 Posts
    Time for our dwarves to die from bloodloss by a swarm of 150 giant mosquitoes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,405 Posts
    STRIKE THE EARTH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    [release]
    STRIKE THE EARTH!
    [/release]

And so we begin.

first, an entrance is designated, and resources checked.

Oh shit, whip vines.

this is going to be fun, I can tell.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,405 Posts
    hey nice you found those animal-men, now see if you can find some squidwards and patricks.

6. Post #6
    June 2010
    6,149 Posts
    Brace yourself for doom, devastation and dastardly deeds in this Dwarven dwelling of death.

7. Post #7
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    The ravens seem content to just be colossal feathery assholes and flap about causing job cancellations without actually attacking.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,405 Posts
    I nickname ravens 'flying trolls'

9. Post #9
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,463 Posts
    Are you using the balance fix btw? Please say you are. Just remembered and jesus christ playing is gonna be hellish if not

10. Post #10
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    Erm.

I don't have it.

On the upside, I finished fortifying the entrance!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,886 Posts
    Might be worth restarting then, while it's still only a few minutes in. Nevermind it's a bit into the game, lets hope we don't get sieged by an army of lashers.
    Either way, can't wait to see how horribly this one ends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,463 Posts
    Erm.

I don't have it.

On the upside, I finished fortifying the entrance!
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Might be worth restarting then, while it's still only a few minutes in. Nevermind it's a bit into the game, lets hope we don't get sieged by an army of lashers.
    Either way, can't wait to see how horribly this one ends.
    Everyone dying of scratches/punches to the head bruising the brain/jamming skull into brain I bet

Weapon fixes can still be incorporated mid-game, but not the brain fix.

13. Post #13
    September 2009
    992 Posts

Lookie, terribly organised farms!

No idea what to do with the leftmost room, though.

Edited:

Half of the workshops are done!

Edited:

Poor little kobold, the caravan guards got him.

Edited:

traded some bone crafts for the usual food + drink.
    this means my turn is just about wrapped up, so I'll upload the save once I'm done.

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5541

VistaPOWA's turn now.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57557.0
    also, here is the tileset, just in case there's issues of compatibility, or whatever

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    DFFD is one of the slowest file sharing websites I've ever seen.

Edited:

We got some complications here, Pokey accidentally left a mod in the game.

16. Post #16
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    Because I'm thick like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    In result of an argument with one of those idiots from the Mountain Home, I got transferred from Coallumps to Massiveships.

Upon arriving, I have noticed many dwarfs didn't even have jobs assigned! Quickly fixed that, of course.

I ordered the miners to carve 2 rooms for additional workshops.

Nothing much happened during the first month I spent her-

Oh look, immigrants!
    I count 5... 10... 20?... 30!... MORE THAN 40??!!
    --

I think it's the best if I just lay down and breathe.
    I can feel the ground tremble as they pour inside.

We are doomed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    Could be worse.

The giant dingoes could attack.

19. Post #19
    June 2010
    6,149 Posts
    Well, that proves it isn't only me who had a massive spring migrant wave, I was gobsmacked at 39, 8 of them kids.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,405 Posts
    therapist -> engraving on all children
    cheating
    but so useful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    I've finalized the trade agreements with the liason, we'll get meat, drinks, coke the next time they come. In exchange, they want goblets, cut gems, tanned hides and leather waterskins. No idea why.

I have assigned the immigrants to haul off stone from project [REDACTED].
    The elves came to trade, but our broker was too busy drinking, being on a break and planting seeds, so I didn't manage to sell shitty pieces of creatively carved rocks to them.

I have noticed a pack of badgermen closing in on our fortress.
    I instantly ordered my men to barricade the doors and get to cover.

During the lockdown, a guy managed to make a shiny bracelet.
    According to the broker, it's worth about 27k. That is one really shiny bracelet.

I want to go back to Coallumps. I really do.
    --Urist McHiavelli

Edited:

MORE IMMIGRANTS.
    13 only this time, thank Armok. None of them has experience in anything. Oh well, we can always use more stone haulers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,886 Posts
    I'll be at Uni tomorrow so I won't be finishing my turn till later in the evening (I'd imagine Vista is about to finish).

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Summer just ended. Summarizing my orders:

Carved out the Grand Dining Hall.

Created nobility quarters, in response to the mad mayor threatening to kill everyone unless we complete his mandate, one pair of leggings.

One of the immigrants got crazy again, but this time, he made a badass iron war hammer. Dibs.
    It's worth about 60k. Nice.

I have also noticed whenever I come out of my room, I get bad looks. I have a feeling I won't last long here.

24. Post #24
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I feel happy for suggesting this.

25. Post #25
    June 2010
    6,149 Posts
    Sounds good acds, that should give me early Saturday and I'll hopefully be finished sometime Saturday, providing there are no unforseen circumstances! Also, this seems like it's going well.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    We are on schedule, projects are getting finished one by one.

I have started smoothing the walls of our Grand Dining Hall, but some child has decided to hold a party, bringing work to a grinding halt.

I have designated some trees to be chopped down before winter comes.

A note for the future rulers of this fortress: [h2]GET MORE FOOD[/h2]
    Hope I've been clear.

Also, guess what season it is? Giant mosquito season!
    Fortress sealed until those fuckers die from cold.

However, a child has decided to sleep outside. Poor sap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2010
    6,149 Posts
    Food issues? Someone didn't bring some peahens or turkeys. (peahens are my personal favourite due to 1 year to grow to adult, as opposed to turkey's 2)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts

2 weeks after the lockdown was initiated, we ran out of water. We are soon going to die if we don't get water. I have sent a miner to dig a tunnel to the nearby river.

Also, the dwarven caravan has arrived. They died from an "unexplainable" bloodloss.

We lost 2 lives due to the flooding of the tunnels. They were true heroes.

Some farmer has went insane. This is not good at all.

Edited:

The giant mosquitos flew away, opened the doors. Fresh air, finally.

The caravan suffered a few losses.

I've told the men to collect seeds. Updates to come.

Edited:

After a month without drink and food, we finally got lots of both.
    Crisis averted.

Edited:

I have ordered the men to carve out a graveyard for our martyrs.
    Problem is, both of our dead martyrs (who are currently floating in the cistern) had a copper pick in their hands. Those 2 picks were all that we had. I've ordered the blacksmith to forge 2 more iron picks. Hopefully he will complete them soon.

Edited:

The future ruler of this fortress should expect the dwarven caravan to come with seeds, meat, fish, plants and fuel for smelting.

29. Post #29
    June 2010
    2,253 Posts
    Is there still time to get in on this or will I have to be content with watching the fortress crash and burn soon?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts

This can only mean one thing...
    Vampires!

or, well, those 120 giant mosquitoes outside.
    Lockdown initiated.

Spring approaches fast, and the dwarfs hate me. They blame everything on me, even though most of the time it was either blind luck or their fault.

I am leaving with the spring caravan.

In other news, the crazy farmer is finally dead. Sweet, sweet silence. However, his friend didn't handle the news quite well.

The carpenter went insane after screaming about cloth and leather for 2 months.

This is the project I was so secretive about. It's up to the future ruler of this fortress what happens to it.

Time for me to leave this cursed place.

Here is the savefile, including the whole game due to mod compatibility issues: http://www.mediafire.com/?bmqocy27sot1t1i

My only request to the future ruler is
    [h2]DO NOT FEED THE GIANT INSECTS[/h2]

Oh, and by the way, do not be alerted if you find the mayor locked outside with 120 giant mosquitoes to accompany him. The door hinges are stuck, and unfortunately he is stuck outside too.
    What an unfortunate accident.

Included with this document is the exact location of the Aperture Alchemy "Quantum Storage Stockpile".

Bye Massiveships, hello world!

Signed,
    Urist McHiavelli

Edited:

The next player is: Acds!
    [sub]i am so sorry[/sub]

31. Post #31
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,463 Posts
    Giant mosquitoes? I told you bro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    It keeps happening, clearly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2010
    6,149 Posts
    How did you designate out those corners around the staircase? The walls are all natural, and I can't see how the dwarves managed to dig them out. As for the double thick parts, we could dig out every other one and make rows of statues amongst engraved walls...

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,886 Posts
    Finally home, will start my turn ASAP.

Edited:

It didn't take long after my arrival to notice one thing: Either the last Dwarf in charge of this place suffered from Multiple Personality Disorder, or they've been changing leader like a dwarf changes moods, as shown by the right half of the fortress being very orderly and calculated, while the left is less logical than one of those tree-hugging elves.

First thing I shall do is expand the main dining hall by adding glorious kitchens and a separate food storage room:

I will also create a more orderly farming room and up food production exponentially.

Edited:

I also found the two dumbest looking Dwarfs I could find and gave them a pick each, I wouldn't put it past them to die before the season's end but that will just be two less useless food drains. I also appointed 6 new farmers to kick the production into high gear.
    My next plans are to expand the production area (especially metal smelting and wood burning) and retake the outside world for Dwarfkind.

Edited:

Hurray, the mosquitoes have retreated for now, probably intimidated by the power of this very phallic looking structure protruding from the mountainside:

Edited:

As you can see, the mosquitoes are back in full force (yes, all 180 are mosquitoes).
    The problem is it's slaughtering my FPS, I've been playing for 3 hours soon and I'm still at mid spring. That and half of the dwarves are thirsty, but only some go to the well to drink (not sure if it's the insane amount of mosquitoes messing up their pathing to find water or what).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2010
    6,149 Posts
    We should have probably modded out mosquitos due to the bugs they have.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    It's not a bug, it's a feature. Well, you know, the fortress is in the eastern swamps...

37. Post #37
    June 2010
    6,149 Posts
    I think you'll find that the mosquitos are a bug. :rimshot:
    It's more how large the groups they come in that's a bug - it slows down systems a lot.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,405 Posts
    it's like whatever region I start in, I get 100+ mosquitos.
    they're a BUG.
    they're bugs at least.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,886 Posts

Been expanding the production district. Those long halls will be filled with burners, furnaces and smelters. With 132 dwarves, the one thing that isn't lacking is the cheap manpower that can slave at the furnaces enveloped in smoke and ash for 16 hours a day.
    As you can see on the left, I've had the dwarfs dig out a room that can be irrigated by opening a flood gate, it's easy to expand and easy to irrigate.

Also it looks like the mosquitoes are pretty docile, in fact they are getting hunted relentlessly but they are yet to harm anyone.

I won't be making my deadline of tonight though, unless those mosquitoes suddenly disappear and my FPS shoot up.

Edited:

I've been fixing up the entrance with a raisable bridge that will act as a makeshift portcullis. I've also been digging out the sides of the main corridor, where marksdwarfs will be able to pelt anything trying to enter the fortress.
    I also started working on the barracks as you can see to the right, figured the best place to put them would be near the most probable frontline.

Most I've been doing is just scrambling to create a farming system that can sustain all the dwarves, got pretty close to starvation a few times but it seems the farming is now gaining momentum and the storage is filling.

Oh and see that dwarf standing there where a wall block should be? He's been there for months now, it used to be a garbage dump that got filled up with thousands of rocks, and now he's removing them to build the wall, one by one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,405 Posts
    Bear in mind that marksgoblins would be able to shoot through those fortifactions too, but they would probably get shot before having a chance of killing a marksdwarf.