1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,987 Posts
    I have a feeling that what will ultimately be the end of this fortress will not be a siege, starvation, dwarven temper or someone puncturing the circus, but the absurdly low FPS.
    That and the saves are slowly but surely dying.

2. Post #82
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,151 Posts
    I have a feeling that what will ultimately be the end of this fortress will not be a siege, starvation, dwarven temper or someone puncturing the circus, but the absurdly low FPS.
    That and the saves are slowly but surely dying.
    I'm finding it hard to continue even now, the lag is just insane. Maybe someone else could try going forward from terminutter's save?

3. Post #83
    June 2010
    6,267 Posts
    Think we should call it a loss and try again after a few bugfixes? Preferably with a popcap of 150 or so.
    I never expected such bad FPS issues, processor priority was on realtime, and I had a whole core allocated.
    I know my machine's pretty average, but still!

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,987 Posts
    I'm finding it hard to continue even now, the lag is just insane. Maybe someone else could try going forward from terminutter's save?
    It took like 15 seconds for a miner to dig out a single square for me, and I'm on an i5 2500k (and that was with 170 dwarfs, they are probably a lot more now). That and the saves are dying.
    Maybe it would be best to do what Termi suggested, start anew, this time we think it through very well before starting. We need your fix, someone needs to fix the mosquitoes and we could use Masterwork for some things (we could disable everything in Masterwork except some of the lag-relief, that way it'd be like vanilla, only with less lag).

Edited:

Think we should call it a loss and try again after a few bugfixes? Preferably with a popcap of 150 or so.
    I never expected such bad FPS issues, processor priority was on realtime, and I had a whole core allocated.
    I know my machine's pretty average, but still!
    We aren't calling it a loss though, Dwarfs don't lose and next one to suggest so gets thrown to the mosquitoes for defeatism.

5. Post #85
    June 2010
    6,267 Posts
    Giant Mosquitos were fixed in the version released on the 18th, traders now bring wagons, mouse designations are fixed, and truetype is enabled by F12.
    Just need Orkel's fix and maybe a masterwork version to help, but I believe that the lack of corpses in masterwork makes zombies non-existant.

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,987 Posts
    Giant Mosquitos were fixed in the version released on the 18th, traders now bring wagons, mouse designations are fixed, and truetype is enabled by F12.
    Just need Orkel's fix and maybe a masterwork version to help, but I believe that the lack of corpses in masterwork makes zombies non-existant.
    Yeah that'd have to be fixed as well.

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Doctor, do we have a pulse?

8. Post #88
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,151 Posts
    Doctor, do we have a pulse?
    We do, but it's too slow to live.

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    I may have found a solution to our bug problem: in the raw creature_bug_slug_new, search for mosquito.
    Find it and set population cap to 10:30 and the cluster number to 1:3

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,543 Posts
    So, anything new?

11. Post #91
    September 2009
    997 Posts
    Doubt it, probably dead now.
    At least it wasn't due to the facepunch curse this time, but rather to giant bugs being bugged.

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,987 Posts
    Let's not even try to keep that shithunk going, it's a pain and the saves are going to corrupt.
    Just start anew, but whoever does start it, post everything you do and let everyone check that you didn't forget anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #93
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,151 Posts
    Let's not even try to keep that shithunk going, it's a pain and the saves are going to corrupt.
    Just start anew, but whoever does start it, post everything you do and let everyone check that you didn't forget anything.
    Should we wait for 34.03? It's releasing quite soon, probably 1-3 days, and has some crucial bugfixes like fixing marksdwarves and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Also, I propose we use a standardized tile set. I don't like having to relearn what each tile is for every year.

15. Post #95
    August 2011
    2,314 Posts
    How about a moderate pop cap?

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    I'd like to play if this happens again c:

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,987 Posts
    Should we wait for 34.03? It's releasing quite soon, probably 1-3 days, and has some crucial bugfixes like fixing marksdwarves and such.
    Definitely, it'll be the weekend as well so most of us will have some free time too.

I'd suggest we'll need:
    -Mosquito fix
    -Moderate pop cap (any is fine by me, I'm guessing the one with the oldest hardware should define what is fine)
    -Possibly some framerate fix, maybe even Masterwork with almost all features disabled (and only/mostly some FPS saving features enabled). However I'd rather not play Masterwork unless the disappearing invader corpses feature is removed (and with DF2012 I'd imagine most feel the same).
    -Lets all pitch in on what the settling location should be like (like "Be sure it has a river/volcano/whatever").

Let's not forget Orkel's fix.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Volcanoes please.

Edited:

We must have a lot of Fun.

19. Post #99
    June 2010
    6,267 Posts
    Maybe an evil biome?

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    Maybe an evil biome?
    Haunted swamps are fun.

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,987 Posts
    I only ask for a good water source, and a biome that isn't too peaceful.

22. Post #102
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,151 Posts
    Definitely, it'll be the weekend as well so most of us will have some free time too.

I'd suggest we'll need:
    -Mosquito fix
    -Moderate pop cap (any is fine by me, I'm guessing the one with the oldest hardware should define what is fine)
    -Possibly some framerate fix, maybe even Masterwork with almost all features disabled (and only/mostly some FPS saving features enabled). However I'd rather not play Masterwork unless the disappearing invader corpses feature is removed (and with DF2012 I'd imagine most feel the same).
    -Lets all pitch in on what the settling location should be like (like "Be sure it has a river/volcano/whatever").

Let's not forget Orkel's fix.
    Mosquitoes got fixed in 34.02 so we can forget about that problem.
    Masterwork isn't compatible with the fix afaik

Pop cap of 100, baby cap of 20-30 seems reasonable to me, also the removal of all clothes except for shoes (against FB extracts) from the dwarf civ to prevent FPS dropping lategame from rotting (shoes with armor value of 1 or so, so the game won't rot em), and same for goblins.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts

RIP fortress.

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,987 Posts
    New version is out, time to resurrect this fortress from the dead.

25. Post #105
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,151 Posts
    Someone start the new one! Remember to install the newest fix.

26. Post #106
    August 2011
    2,314 Posts
    Where is the instruction to start the fix? I could start the new fortress for us. Shall we try a scary biome or an easy one ?

27. Post #107
    June 2010
    6,267 Posts
    The fix is as simple as dragging and dropping into a new DF folder.
    I'm thinking volcano, but have no preferences.

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    The fort should be suspended on top of a volcano, only held by 4 soap supports.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #109
    August 2011
    2,314 Posts
    With a lever out in the open for extra fun

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    With a lever out in the open for extra fun
    Restricted to the most tantrum-prone dwarf.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)