1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,453 Posts
    [release]
    [h2]Patents: Apple wins over Motorola in 'slide-to-unlock' ruling[/h2]

Apple has won a patent dispute against Motorola Mobility regarding a "slide-to-unlock" feature on smartphones.

The judgement marks Apple's first patent victory over Motorola in any part of the world.

Patent consultant Florian Mueller said the ruling could affect patent disputes involving Android device makers worldwide.

Motorola said it planned to appeal and the judgement would have "no impact" on supply or future sales.

A spokeswoman for the Motorola said: "Today's ruling in the patent litigation brought by Apple in Munich, Germany, concerns a software feature related to phone unlocking in select Motorola devices sold in Germany.

"Motorola has implemented a new design for the feature. Therefore, we expect no impact on current supply or future sales."

Apple said it would not be commenting on the decision.

'Global battle'

Motorola Mobility is in the process of being acquired by Google, and most of its handsets run on the search firm's mobile operating system, Android.

The Android system is Apple's closest rival in the mobile market.

Mr Mueller, a patent expert who has in the past consulted for Microsoft, described the ruling as a "very significant win for Apple against Android".

"After Google closes the acquisition of Motorola Mobility, the Apple-Motorola Mobility dispute will soon gain importance transcending that of the global battle with Samsung," he said.

While this decision relates solely to activity in the German market, the decision could potentially help Apple with other patent disputes in other parts of the world, Mr Mueller added.

"Apple is already asserting the slide-to-unlock patent in different jurisdictions against all three leading Android device makers and might use it against even more of them going forward."

The patent in question - EP1964022 - relates to the process of unlocking a smartphone by simply swiping a finger from one area of the screen to another.

A second patent ruling, which covers a method of scrolling through pictures in a photo gallery on mobile device, was also due on Thursday but was postponed by the court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17058508
    [/release]

Come on corporations, try and be innovative and creative rather than just suing the company with the best product into oblivion! The only reason they won is because they have more money to spend on fancy lawyers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 140Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    hi there
    Dennab
    September 2011
    5,898 Posts
    Fucking Apple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 95 (list)

3. Post #3
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,214 Posts
    christ were they really the first people who did that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,574 Posts
    boo

boooooooooooooooooooo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Heineken made me rich
    June 2005
    4,681 Posts
    hahahahahahhaahahahahhaha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 34Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    don't hate the player, hate the game. the patent system is broken and easily exploitable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 72Dumb Dumb x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    This is really stopping progress in this field. Capitalism works amazingly in the consumer electronics industry as shown by the rapid progression and the patent system is only limiting progress. To put it this way, the patent is benefiting very few at the expense of many. The conversion can become a bit different when it comes to different fields due to economic factors, but patents in electronics hurt the consumer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Haunted by a dark and stupid past
    December 2009
    3,244 Posts
    Apple, I think I speak for everyone when I say go eat a deluxe family sized bucket of dicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree x 48Winner x 4Artistic x 3Funny x 3Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    596 Posts
    don't hate the player, hate the game. the patent system is broken and easily exploitable.
    Because the opportunity for them to be dicks is there, we can't blame them if they do it, right guys?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 18Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    Dennab
    March 2009
    13,456 Posts
    Apple, I think I speak for 99.9% of the users when I say this.

Fuck off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 30Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2007
    1,131 Posts
    If both Apple and Motorola are American companies, why is this patent dispute being heard in Germany?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    I think whoever approves these patents is getting paid off, or is really dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

13. Post #13
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,936 Posts
    How the hell can you even patent that?

Edited:

It's like patenting levers that have round handles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 33Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    hilariously terrible!
    April 2010
    455 Posts
    Seems like every day the patent system is getting bent over backwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    Dennab
    March 2009
    13,456 Posts

Edited:

America is how.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 4Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    beep
    January 2006
    7,762 Posts
    cant they just do the same, but rotate so you slide to the left. i mean the figure doesn't show that, they only show sliding to the right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,002 Posts
    God that is so fucking stupid I don't know where to begin.

18. Post #18
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FAT FETISH
    June 2010
    842 Posts
    Next thing you know they'll be suing people for using number pads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19

August 2011
    772 Posts
    Next thing you know they'll be suing people for using number pads.
    They already sued samsung for their thing being square, there's no stopping them now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    LOL
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,070 Posts
    I think it's about time to join the Apple boycott. Starting with iTunes. See ya.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    January 2011
    337 Posts
    Eh, I like those nokia phones that have a physical button for unlocking them better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,033 Posts
    Surely this should be one of those patents that is licensed under FRAND. Its such a small but important thing.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    518 Posts
    It's like they're using offensive lawsuits in place of actually trying to be better than their competitors.

Also, both Apple and the patent system are to blame. The patent system is broken, and Apple is taking advantage of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,912 Posts

Edited:

patent any lever that doesn't have a handle covered in razor blades
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

25. Post #25
    It's like they're using offensive lawsuits in place of actually trying to be better than their competitors.

Also, both Apple and the patent system are to blame. The patent system is broken, and Apple is taking advantage of it.
    Ew you're using a Mac.
    I would never use a Mac.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,101 Posts
    I'm not sure if you can patent letters, but someone go patent the letter i.

27. Post #27
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 45Zing Zing x 5Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,438 Posts
    I'm not sure if you can patent letters, but someone go patent the letter i.
    be careful what you wish for
    someone might patent it but it's gonna be apple

29. Post #29
    April 2009
    385 Posts
    Oh apple

I loled. But really every Apple product is useless and just play terrible. Fuck Apple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,328 Posts
    So we can patent movements now huh...

Lets see someone find a way to patent sex.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    December 2011
    135 Posts
    victory

Edited:

Ew you're using a Mac.
    I would never use a Mac.
    this isn't relevant at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

32. Post #32
    I think you missed the joke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,405 Posts
    I bet that fucking Judge's wallet is now twice as thick now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

34. Post #34
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    I loled. But really every Apple product is useless and just play terrible. Fuck Apple.
    yep that's why millions of people use them

because they're useless and terrible

sounds about right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2010
    2,799 Posts
    Wow.

WOooooooooooooooOoOoOooww.

Fuckoff Apple.

36. Post #36
    December 2011
    135 Posts
    yep that's why millions of people use them

because they're useless and terrible

sounds about right
    dumb sheeple
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,405 Posts
    dumb sheeple
    Hurr peeple are sheap so i is edgy and cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    October 2010
    11,826 Posts
    This is beyond stupid, being able to patent something as simple as that

even stupider that a judge would even spend a second making a decision on it

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    victory

Edited:

Hello iFaux, try staying banned.

40. Post #40
    December 2011
    135 Posts
    Hello iFaux, try staying banned.
    hay bby
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)